Options

Chester marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    Bluemoon86Bluemoon86 ✭✭✭
    Can someone explain the pyramids training to me?
  • Options

AP 2 That's good going for the first week of Mara training. Best of luck in the morning with the hill training, I did my hills this morning at 5.30 !!. 5.25 Miles.

Fartlek training in the morning 6.30image

There is some mega times being posted here, best of luck everyone..

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Nice running guysimageimage

5m and 6.4m recovery runs for me today- 1 in the morning mistimage, but 1 in bright sunshine this eveningimage

• Options

Hey good running JD. you are one mean running machine to run twice in one day, your washing machine must be non stop on the go or is that the wifes dept and you wouldnt know image

AP2 well done on the 12 miles. good going at this early stage

Bluemoon - pyramids are exactly as we say you run set distances at a fast but maintainable pace i.e. 100m 200m,300m, 400m, 500m 800m then work back down 800,500,400,300,200,100 then repeat the process. Between each one you would have say a 30 or 40 second rest depending on your fitness so 100m 30 seconds rest then 200m and so on

5.11 miles tonight 8.42 av pace 581 cal with club doing indian file then laps on my own as couldnt face sprints on slippy grass. Jet ski tomorrow then gym wed

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

TF- Do my share of the washing and, yes, it's a busy machineimage. Nice running from you tooimage

• Options

6.5miles including hill repeats this morning. Had to run for home a bit faster than I wanted to make sure I was back before the husband set off for work and I'm definitely feeling those hills in my legs now! Hopefully I'll be able to stay awake to watch the footie tonight! image 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning.
    Nice to have a bit of summer for a few days, all over again by Thursday though. Stupid jet stream.
    11 miles for me today. My lunchtime runs are along the river mersey in S Manchester and at this time of year there are a lot of little flies and midges which I end up either swallowing or plastered all over my forehead.

Expecting Rooney to get all over excited and agitated tonight and get sent off for headbutting a Ukranian defender which then leads a dismal England to rally slightly and nearly hold on for a scoreless draw but then go out to a last minute penalty to Ukraine given away by Terry and taken by Shevchenko which causes the whole of Ukraine to go loony mental.
    You heard it here first.

• Options

15 West

Nice running. I get the midges too, look like I've been on a bike when I get home...

Disagree with you re Rooney. Hope he does well for us tonight, especially being a utd fan...

Did my 5 mile Fartlek run this morning before work ...set me up for the day image

Come on England.!!!

• Options
    Bluemoon86Bluemoon86 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pyramid sharing! I've not done anything today as I was interviewed for a promotion today and succeeded! Got a local league club race on Thursday and then a 10k race on Sunday, all good for the fitness I suppose but I'll need to start upping the mileage, aspiring for that 3:15 image

Disappointed Paul, I'm a city fan!
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

of down to Devon on Friday for Torbay half marathon  on sunday   then Tuesday to St ives   and Friday till Tuesday     Swanage

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Good result for Englandimage

15 West- There's one spot where i run where you can guarantee a massive swarm of midges in the eveningimage

BM- well done on the promotionimage

4m and 8m for me today. Found the evening run hot and hard- not used to this weatherimage

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Don't worry Jason, autumn starts thursday.

Very good result for England - can't believe they won that group.

13m tomorrow down midgey lane again.

• Options

Just entered Birchwood 10k on 19th August and English Half Marathon on 9th September, both in warrington. They're currently doing a deal where you save £10 if you enter both. Just thought I'd inform you all as they are fairly ideal dates to fit into training. Never done either before but both have great reviews. Hope everyone's training is going to plan, I'm basically having a week off due to exams but back to a long run on Sunday.

• Options

I'm completely new to this marathon thing and have no big aspirations to run an impressive time, this is all abount fund raising for me. I'm doing 5 times a week, between 3 and 5 miles each time apart from Sundays where I keep adding a mile (currently at 10) and averaging 9.5 mins a mile (rubbish I know, compared to you lot). My question is, I've started to get an ache in my ankle which travels up my shin as I run, it eases off after the first 15 mins or so, then comes back near the end. I'm ice-ing 3 times a day but is there anything more you experts think I should be doing??

Thanks in advance image

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Liz- massage may help. You say that you're adding miles each week- are you having a cutback week every 4 or so? Though, tbh, I think my legs (usually achilles) almost constantly ache during marathon trainingimage

12.01m for me tonight- not as warm as yesterdayimage

• Options

jd - how come you're not signed up for this months challenge, we could do with your mileage as currently getting bottoms spanked by the fetchies.

Liz - Couple of other things (which may be teaching granny to suck eggs - sorry not that im intimating you're a granny or anything image )

- Shoes, have you had gait analysis to ensure you've got the right shoes, it may only start to show now you are upping the mileage.

- Speed, how fast are you running? It sounds like you are doing all your runs at the same speed, when ideally you should be mixing it up and running the longer distances a lot slower than your expected race pace.

- Also in addition to jd's comments about massage, and things generally aching when marathon training anyway, I was recommended to try calf guards to help with recovery when I was training for manchester, and I have to say I think they really helped too.

• Options

Thanks for the advice, you were right about running at the same speed, I'll do something about that when I do my short run in the morning. Calf guards? I had to look them up lol, but if it helps I'll give it a go, got some on order. And a bit of physio has been booked!  I'm determined to do this, so all advice gratefully received, thanks image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Liz - if pain gets too bad ease off a bit, allow a few days to recover - maybe cross train - then ease back into it. Depends how bad pain is - and as you become more experienced you start to notice which pains are just part and parcel of marathon training, and some are niggles that could lead to something more serious.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

5 mile easy run for me today out there in soggy manchester. My 13 miles yesterday felt pretty tough, mixture of heat and still tired from the 11 miles the previous day and 16 on sunday.

• Options

Jason d - it's reassuring to know your legs ache almost constantly during marathon training. I was beginning to think you were superhuman!image

Did 6 miles this morning including 4miles at av pace of 8.24. Not sure what to do on Sunday - I've got 12 miles planned but can't decide whether to try running 4 of them at marathon pace... any thoughts out there?!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Are you following a schedule Alison? In the schedule I'm following quite a few of the long runs have a section at MP - so I would say go for it. You could even do 6 at MP?!

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Alison- you could do, but then again there's plenty of time to go before worrying about MP- I'm not even sure what mine will beimage. Build the base firstimage. But if you're not following a schedule, it might be worth thinking about finding one-??

5m and 6.5m for me today- 2 good soakings tooimage

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Bruce- what challenge? thought that had finished mid-May??? Can you post me a link? Or do I run for the Fetchies-got a foot in both camps.... hmm.....image

• Options

hey, havrent run since monday night. I knocked my kneee in work tuesday so thought I should rest it to make sure its better. Hoping to get out tomorrow.

It would be great if we could just run rather tham having to fit running in around work. Early starts and late finishes make it tricky to fit running in. Il be leaving house 6.30 ish tomorrow so unlikley I can run before work, then prob wont be home until 7ish. All good I guess, glad to have a job image

• Options

jd ... thought you'd gone missing image  ... we changed the site slightly because it was a differnet challenge ie v Fetch ... the new link is http://challengefetch.voodoonation.co.uk/runPage.php

Was supposed to run tonight, but work is god awful at the moment so by the time I got home I really couldn't face it ... but decided am taking kit in to work tomorrow to get own back and go out for a run at lunchtime image

• Options

15West/Jason - I've got a schedule based on the RW 4hr Ultimate one but I've tweaked it slightly! None of the long runs included any distance at MP but I know from reading P&D that their schedules do and as it seems to makes sense to run some mileage at MP I have included some later on in my schedule. I just wasn't sure whether it was too early to start worrying about pace.

Isn't your marathon pace going to be about 5 minute miles Jason?!image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Supposed to be doing a tempo run today...might be on a treadmill I think....

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

First marathon this one, I entered as a target to get back in to a routine after 8 months out through injury. Back up to 30-35 mile weeks, long run up to 13 at the moment.

Alison, I would do the long runs at a slow pace and introduce a mid week run at MP, building to about 15 miles at MP about 3 weeks out.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Bruce- thanks, I'll see if I can enter- though tbh haven't done that many miles this month again... wait until the next couple of months though!!image

12.02m in 1.28.55 today (7.24av). Dry but very windy out thereimage As you can see, the wind was behind me coming backimage splits: 7:59 7:51 8:07 7:55 7:48 7:39 7:14 6:58 6:57 6:54 6:49 6:37 5

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Bruce- sorted! 4th on the leaderboard nowimage