Options

2012 Marathon thread

Comments

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Hope you are back running soon SR.

Another day of sunshine here jayc but forecast for heavy rain pretty much from tomorrow all weekend image so decided to just run instead of doing a speed session. 7 miles through the woods, really nice. Just back from a walk and about to do some core work & stretching.

Hope the shoulder improves with the stretching HM4.

F

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Cross post Teknik - great run!!

F

• Options

Fiona - sounds like a good run... won't be long before we're all in thermals and rain jackets again!

Teknik - nice 9 miler; good pace!

7 mile cross country today. Proper cross country too. Managed to convince two regular running partners that one of the, er, muddier routes would be fine today. In reality it was wetter than I've ever seen it before! A nice section of 40m through cattle softened calf deep mud, a couple of stream crossings, wet grass, woodland climbs and more nettles than you could shake a stick at [one narrow section there was no avoiding them, legs are still tingling now].

• Options
    Teknik, that's the power of the taper. Make sure the two days before the marathon are off and or you rest (or 2miles 2days before)... Your going to have a cracking race if you can handle the taper excitement/nerves/angst.
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Fiona- well done on the run- sounds goodimage

SR- hope you recover soon...

jayc- sounds like funimage

Tek- enjoy the taperimage

5.1m for me tonight- even went sub 9min miling, legs starting to work againimage

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all - so, what races have you all got coming up? Teknik, you tapering for a marathon at moment? No races for me in forseeable...was thinking of Tatton park half on 4th Nov but it's full now, so my next will be Stockport 10 in Dec and Helsby half in Jan.

Still not ran since Chester - may go to gym today and do some other cardio stuff and actually (try)  lift a few weights. First jog planned for tomorrow, but also might have the weekend off running and let the missus have a sleep in while I do child duties, I owe her.

Not sure what plan to follow for London next spring. For Chester followied P&D 5o to 70 mi schedule to the letter pretty much, and it did work for me, so was thinking of the same schedule with weekends same as the ~100mi a week schedule.

Also - dont' know if anyone on here knows...but apparently there are GFA places for VLM, and then there are Fast GFA places!...

• Options

15west, Welcome. Your very speedy image  I think Jason/NP know all about GFA starting pens at VLM....

Well I ran 30 miles last week and already done 20 miles this week....the slow trail to return to running has started. Enjoyed the 10K i ran this morning image

• Options

Gym today - upper body push, as that's all I feel confident I can do without aggrivating my back. Although the pain is starting to lift. Wish it would get lost, as I have a new toy (heart rate monitor) and new trainers I want to play with!image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Race List

13-Oct Harwich 10k  Tek 

14-Oct Liverpool Doc Pete, RMKez, Gee Gee

21-Oct Abingdon  HopetoFinish

21-Oct Amsterdam Kaz

27-Oct Snowdon Jason D

28-Oct Frankfurt Tek, JennyE

29-Oct Dublin No Pain, Ian Boyd

04-Nov New York  Mon

04-Nov Rutland: JEvaNs

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Peeps looks like we need to start adding to the Race List...

Fiona nice 7 in the woodsimage

jay great cross-country run!

15West I'm up for Frankfurt - 17 days left...

AGF - thanks, will be taking it really easy in the last week. Great to see you're getting back to(wards) normalimage

jason nice running...must feel to you like you're walking

Stuart- GREAT to hear you've got a HRM...I promise it will make a massive differenceimage

HM hope the stretching is helping

----

8m steady at 75%max (8.51mm), then 5.67m up and down some muddy hills with the club...all ok.

• Options

Hi guys,

SM - Hopefully your back is on the mend, take care.

AGF - Good to hear your back out there.

TEK - Impressive. You are going to nail it in Frankfurt.image

I have had a very bad week. The anti-biotics I got on Friday had a bad effect on my system, first dose daily ok- second dose things started going downhill and by the last dose I was basically unfit to do anything. A result of which was falling downstairs on Monday nightimage Needless to say running wasn't happening!! But today for the first time I feel relatively 'normal' so have been out and done 15k. I took it nice and easy but wind and hills made it feel quite hard. Hopefully just not fully recovered, and in a few days everything will be 'ok'. Only 10 days to go!!image

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

jayc that's a proper off road run! image

Been at the Green GFA start the last few years but not sure about Fast GFA times?

AGF fantastic that your miles are building up again. image I'm hoping to get my highest mileage month since January when it all went wrong. image

Nice new gear Stuart, hope you get to use it soon. My new Fastwitches arrived today so did my 200 session in them. They feel a bit firmer than the last few pairs I've had but they are so bright (blue/yellow) they are bound to be fast!! image

Nice run Tek, low HR!

kaz good that you are getting back out and better now than later in the month. Take it easy and recover well. Best to make it to the start line.

Spin class for me this morning then a short interval session; 16 lots of 200m at 16k/hr with 60s recoveries. 6 miles in total. Aviemore 10k on Sunday for me then a few races to choose from, just have to decide which to do - 10k, 5 mile trail run or a couple of HMs. Not really done much distance recently so may just stay with the shorter stuff image Then a 10 mile run in December before VLM training starts image.

F

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Race List

13-Oct Harwich 10k  Tek 

21-Oct Amsterdam Kaz

21-Oct Demead 10k HM4

27-Oct Snowdon Jason D

04-Nov New York  Mon

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Think it is.  I've got the club championships on 21 October I don't think I'll get a pb unlike last year however will be happy with anything under 70 min. (pb is 1hr 4min something)

(((Kaz)))

Hope you recover quickly.

Stuart,

That'd good news.

---------

Well done on everyone's training

• Options

Race List

13-Oct Harwich 10k  Tek

14-Oct Studland Stampede 12k  Jayc

14-Oct Aviemore 10k  Fiona

21-Oct Amsterdam Kaz

21-Oct Demead 10k HM4

27-Oct Snowdon Jason D

04-Nov New York  Mon

04-Nov Bog & Bryn Challenge 20k  Jayc

20-Nov Sleepwalker (Night Race)  Jayc

• Options

AGF - it's all about enjoyment really. It's all downhill when that stops!

Kaz - good to hear you're over the worst of it, 15k is a fair distance for a recovery run! Fingers crossed that your recovery continues and you're back 'on it' in a few days.

Fiona - nice intervals. After a spin session too!!!

I've added a few more t the list, didn't want to push into Dec as it'll get a bit long... I'm guessing it's a "rolling list" image

6.5 mile cross country today... a couple of rest days now before Sunday [although I'll probably go out on the mountain bike tomorrow evening!].

Mentioned it a few days ago, but now the entry forms for Exe To Axe 2013 (20 mile BL Fell race) are on the Sidmouth Running Club website (link below should work):

http://www.sidmouthrunningclub.co.uk/races/Exe%20to%20Axe/Entry%20Form%202013.pdf

Some more details here:

http://fellrunner.org.uk/races.php?id=2260

3,999ft ascent. image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Kaz - hope you're feeling better now - well done on the 15k!  Scary stuff so close to Amsterdam...

F nice intervals...speedy stuff

HM great you've got another race on the list

jayc nice running. Exe to Axe with 3,999ft of climbimage??? Might pass on that one...

---

Pamper day!!!  Massage, hot yoga, then 6m steady sub75%max (8.42mm). Managed to burst a tyre coming home, so don't know if I'll risk going up to Harwich for the 10k without a spare...

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Thanks.  This will be the last race of the year for me.  Not too sure on your description of pamper day though!

Jay,

Well done.

• Options
    Hello everyone hope you are all well. Sorry ive not been around lately, been really really busy then couldnt remember my password when i changed to the iphone5! (I always stayed logged on, on my other phone)

With only a couple of days to go till my marathon im finding injuries i havent actually got and im sooo nervous! x
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Hi Kez!!  It's normal, don't worry...plenty of sleep and plenty of fluids, remember...image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Kez - it's taper madness - stay strong. Take it as easy as possible till the big day. What marathon you running?

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Kez- totally normal.

Rest day here today before Sunday!s LR Then it!s taper time again
  • Options

JayC and Tek - thanx. I must admit I was/am pretty worried about it being so close with 'it' being so close now........Still feeling pretty wiped out by night, but I suppose thats part of the recovery. Bad things is I just want to eat sweeties and more sweeties........Anyway been out and did another 4 Hilly miles in strong wind this afternoon followed by a 3 mile brisk walk with my dog. Run felt ok and pace was quite good considering conditions. Trying to stay positive. image

Tek - Whens frankfurt.......I know I did read the list but short term memory must be part of being ill!!!image

• Options

If I was to use manual lap during the marathon instead of  auto lap, what do I do if I miss a marker??? image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I went for my first post marathon run today and I am definately not recovered....going to take the weekend off and try again next week.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

kaz - Frankfurt is a week after your Amsterdam - 28th...why are you turning off autolap???image

• Options

Tek - Not sure about it.......... someone told me to turn off auto lap and manual lap at every km so that its more accurate??image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

kaz - bugger that - one more thing to worry about, on top of that old Km to Mile conversion when running abroad...image

• Options

Tek - That was kindo my opinion too.........Think I will just stick with what I know!!! image

• Options

Done 3 short runs since my marathon - kinda slow and wooden legged. Hoping it's just post marathon lethargyimage