Options

Birmingham and Black Country Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options

hi Gillan,

Certainly flat appart from the little bridges which get a little unplesant towards the end. Can be a little lonely at some points but certainly you will never really be 'alone'. Tunnel is 'interesting' image. Great race, this will be my fourth running of it image

• Options
    This was my first half and I found the bridges a little hard. I will be doing it again though this year with a few beers in Brum afterwards.
  • Options

Might be a stupid question but do you get advised in advance of your start time?

I know it says staggered over 3 hours but you must get told what time?

• Options
    Yes you do get a start time!
  • Options

Hi, looking to do this but have a few questions:

I'm not local but am probably staying in central birmingham that weekend - how easy is it to get to the start from there? I wont be driving.

Also, any more details about the race?

Everyone here seems to be raving about it without much details...whats this about staggered start? Is that based on times?

Plus does the race finish near central Birmingham?

Plus whats this about pubs at the end?

Thanks & sorry for all the questions, just need some info to talk some pals into it.

• Options
    Snake Hips. Getting to the start is easy from the city center, just a case of getting to New street train station from where ever your hotel is, at the Wolverhampton end its a two minute walk to the start.
    Staggered start, faster runners going first and then over a 3 hour period groups of ten are started off with a few minutes between each group, you are chipped so you get an accurate time.
    Race finishes in the city center, quite close to various bars image what more do you need to know image
  • Options

think that kind of covers it...sounds like a fun race, and never been to Birmingham so chance to combine.

Also like the fact its a Saturday run as well, means can really enjoy my Saturday.

Thanks

• Options

Hi, I am interested, but got a few questions.

1. I am not a local and I only ran the Hong Kong Standard marathon for three times, and those were in February, so my biggest concern would be the temperature. Is there anyone can tell me the temperature range is likely to be, or maybe the avearge?

I am so interested in this race, but I am afraid I cannot finish the race.

2. I am still not sure for the accommodation, as the event  website said the "Race information packs will be sent to participant’s aprox 7 days before the event", is there any suggestion for the address that I should fill in. I would leave my homestay on 30/6 morning and then go to London.

Thanks! image

• Options

If you can do a Marathon you can definately do the BBCHM Margaret.  

The temperature over the last two years I've done this have been higher than normal but I gues sin Britain thats the risk you take as it could so easily be raining cats and dogs.   The start and finish are both really handy for transport and accomodation although I'd suggest staying in Brum and getting the train or Metro to Wolverhampton to the start.    I'm guessing that if you are travelling to the UK then Stuart Steele (on previous replies) could arrang efor your pack to be picked up on the day like on the day entries but you'd better ask him.

I can only recommend this race after twice running it. Great organisation, friendly participants, a quiet, flat(ish) route with sights you don't often get to see in a city and a lovely discount in the Pitcher and Piano afterwards for a drink or food if you show your medal.  Whats not to like??

• Options

Jim, thanks! I am sorry that I didn't say it clearly, I only the half-mathon, not marathon.

Higher than normal? I am sorry if you still remember about the temperature of the race in last two years? Since I did some searchings in wiki, and the record high can be really high, just like in Hong Kong. Raining is better than hot for me, since I am the kind of person that is easy to get sweating.

Thanks for your help and answer!

• Options
    Its a great race, slightly different as it's more like a time trail. As Jim says you certainly get to see a different side of Brum. Stay in the city center, transport is not an issue and baggage transport from the start to the finish, easy pickup.

Couple of year I have done it it has been a scorcher but there are water stations provided by canal boat people ! and if it gets really hot you could just throw yourself in.....
  • Options
    Really looking forward to this - up to 8 miles in training now, so doing OK! Although been a bit hampered by a new (huge) tattoo on my calf!
  • Options
    just booked the Hilton Garden Inn in Birmingham, presume thats quite near the finish?
  • Options

Snake-hips, from what I understand you will be almost on top of the finish line.

sounds like everyone is really up for this years race - I am in as a first timer but lots of positives from pretty much everyone who has done the event before - event the scary tunnel seems to be enjoyed by most image

• Options

superb!

First time visit to Birmingham for me & my mate.

We're coming the night before so will look to do somehing which doesnt involve lots of alcohol - any suggestions welcome.

Maybe meal & comedy club or theatre.

• Options

There's plenty of restaurants within a 10 min walk from there and a comedy club so plenty to keep yourself amused. 

The tunnel is just a great addition to this race as it's unusual.  The floating water stations are always good as well.   Hopefully this year we won't have to hurdle a fire hose 3 miles in????   Can't wait though. 

• Options

Theres a couple of cinemas nearby, also the NIA and ICC and lots of bars and restaurants. Brindley Place is my favourite place for bars/restaurants. Where exactly does it end? this will be my first year of doing this one.

mat

• Options

Hi Mat

It ends at brindley place.  Running races don't get much better than this.

• Options

run, pubs at the finish line, and that brummy accent, folks you've twisted my arm.......count me in

• Options
    Last year a discount was negotiated at one of the pubs....
  • Options
    snake-hipssnake-hips ✭✭✭
    still need to book the run.
  • Options

Just booked this race image

Ran this 2 years ago. If it's anything like it was in 2010 then this is a must for any runner.

Trying to convince some people at work to join me.

Great route, great people, great organisation and great location for the finish.

Good being on a Saturday too so you can enjoy the city when you're done.

• Options

Booked this a while ago, normally run just upto 10K regularly.  Hoped to get myself trained on time, but work and health got it my way.  Also, I am quite terrified of running through tunnels image  especially alone.  Will I be alone ?  How do you group people together?  Also, forgot to mention, this is my first ever half marathon.  Should I just give up??

• Options

VV3 - Don't give up! I have done the same thing with the training - we still have a few weeks to go to build up those miles. My first half too.

• Options

Have now entered!!!!

My first Half Marathon!!!!

Just hope the weather is not like today, don't think I could manage it in this heat!?

• Options
    ringo100ringo100 ✭✭✭
    V V 3 just enjoy the day. I have ran this a few times. Last year this was comeback half after three months out and still got a good time. The one tunnel is not bad and though cobbly underfoot is not bad. There is usually space to overtake and you never seem to get bunched. The finish running into Brinkley place is great focus on that you will have great time. The wife is doing it for the first time this year as well as me(no3) enjoy it a really unique race
  • Options

I entered a few month ago without really knowing much about the event. I only entered because it starts in Wolverhampton which is easy enough to get to and it finishes in Brindley Place which is more or less where I live (which is perfect for stumbling home afterwards). Since entering and looking at different reviews of the event all I've heard is positive feedback. Can't wait for race day now!

• Options

wish i was doing this, I've entered the Much Wenlock HM this weekend as got friends doign the marathon there but just seen the route and there are 12 stiles in the HM ( 22 for those doing the marathon!! ) eek!!!!!

I will definitely try and do this one next year tho, i look forward to hearing everyone's feedback on it

how is everyone's training going?

• Options

This is my first half marathon and first real distance run of any kind so I was wondering what you experienced runners do the week leading up to the run, Saturday to Friday?

• Options

Hi Lewis, it's a personal thing -  You've done the training so it won't make much difference just keep it easy. No more than 4 pints on Saturday night...

If you check out the plans on this site they show some tapers.

I wasn't going to enter this until my wife realised it finished besides a major shopping opportunity. image