Options

Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Rosie

Comments

• Options

Hi Rosie - good to meet up and see you again today - sorry for making you go too fast for your first mile along the towpath (although it probably wasn't too too quick for you) - hope Sam didn't tell you off! I do hope the training all comes together for you for Paris, as I think you have got a lot of potential to really beat your current mara time. See you in March.

• Options
    knight rider wrote (see)

Hi Rosie - good to meet up and see you again today - sorry for making you go too fast for your first mile along the towpath (although it probably wasn't too too quick for you) - hope Sam didn't tell you off! I do hope the training all comes together for you for Paris, as I think you have got a lot of potential to really beat your current mara time. See you in March.

Good to chat with you too. It took me 7 miles yesterday before I finally sorted my pacing so it definitely wasn't you! image 

Hope training goes well between now and march and good luck for those races..

• Options
    Sounds like fun Saturday well done. Did a 8.5 in one hour and18 mins this am and enjoyed it very much at a 9.15 average pace. Not on my mara schedule for one more week then I kick off. All the best for a quoted week for you Rosie.
  • Options

HI,

Sounds as though the training day was good. Been reading this and lurking on KR's thread. image

I did 15 miles this morning in average 8:20 pace. too fast for me I think but I'm starting to learn about pacing. Felt pretty comfortable throughout though but see how I feel tomorow. Nearly a minute slower than my mile rate last week at the 4 villages half tho. 

Anyway when I came back I had a for goodness shakes. Never had 1 before but 1 of the lads from the running club recommended using them.  Whats the score with these? what benefit will they give? when should I use them?

Cheers,

Luke

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Rosie, really good to meet up again yesterday.

Hope you've warmed up now and had a good journey home.  BTW, I've found some new routes around your folks area (bike plans but seem ok for running too). Let me know and I'll send you them.

See you in March (and hopfully it'll be warmer for the photos).

• Options

Hi Rosie, it was really great to catch up with you on Saturday at the training day - and I'm so pleased that you started to nail the pace on the latter half of the run. I'm sure having me on your heels on my Brompton helped! image I think you're looking really strong, and our discussion about what bits of training you are enjoying most/finding most challenging was really helpful. (As was the discussion about Sidney's atopic dermatitis! Sorry everyone, puppy talkimage)

Did you manage to find out about a half mara for week 8/9? Let me know so I can schedule it in.

So, to next week:

We're into week 6 of the schedule. This is pretty in line with the RW Ultimate 3.30 Schedule, except for Rosie's double day on Tuesday and the planned parkrun on Saturday.

Week Six w/c 30/1/12 (44M)
    Mon Rest + strength training.
    Tue Run 1) 3 miles steady Run 2) 6M CONSISTING OF 1M jog, then 9 x 2 mins fast up hill, jog back. Then 1M jog at end of session
    Wed 9M slow
    Thu 1M jog, then 4M brisk, then 1M jog TRY TO DO THIS ON LEVEL FLAT SURFACE
    Fri Rest + strength training. COMPULSORY NO RUNNING DAY
    Sat parkrun (or 4 miles easy)
    Sun 18M EASY (this one can be off-road – ensure ‘effort level’ is easy even if pace is slower than the pace guidelines for easy).

Luke The For Goodness Shakes works well as a recovery drink - it provides a good balance of fluid, electrolytes, carbs and protein. Any milky drink will work OK. I tend to use nesquick powder in normal milk (cheaper). There's been some positive research on milk-based drinks being v benefical for recovery. Sure Ruth might have more info to add on this.

• Options
    Thanks Sam. Might give that a whirl then. :image
  • Options

Luke Ruth suggested that I drink more milk so I guess her answer will be yes.

Rosie, It was great to catch up yesterday, you christmas hospitalisation made my t-wave look like small beer.  Still it doesn't seem to of affected your running, as it looks like you have the same problem as I do, start off too fast!  Still at least yo managed to control our pace better than I did and didn't get told off (I was 3 times in the end!)

• Options
    Cheers choisty. Hope the training is going well gonna catch up on your thread.
  • Options
    Choisty wrote (see)

Luke Ruth suggested that I drink more milk so I guess her answer will be yes.

Rosie, It was great to catch up yesterday, you christmas hospitalisation made my t-wave look like small beer.  Still it doesn't seem to of affected your running, as it looks like you have the same problem as I do, start off too fast!  Still at least yo managed to control our pace better than I did and didn't get told off (I was 3 times in the end!)

Hehe re the pacing, I was relieved it wasn't just me! Having made everyone else look good with my diet I thought you were just returning the favour with pacing image. You looked really relaxed at the end on the track though as you kept zooming past me. Hope things stay on course till the next session!

BoDuke wrote (see)

Rosie, really good to meet up again yesterday.

Hope you've warmed up now and had a good journey home.  BTW, I've found some new routes around your folks area (bike plans but seem ok for running too). Let me know and I'll send you them.

See you in March (and hopfully it'll be warmer for the photos).

You too. Yes it was freezing! (for those who weren't there I was channelling the blue-tinged look by the end). Yey for routes! Possibly down there some point in the next month - nephew's 3rd birthday party is imminent. Would be fab if you could send. I found the rowing lake last time (near Ferry Meadows) and ran round and round that, but anything slightly more diverse would be great! Good luck for training till then.

• Options

mcs - ah, enjoy your last week of running freedom then image. Which schedule are you following?

Luke - it sounds like we did a very similar run this weekend then!! Unfortunately that wasn't quite what I was meant to do. I was supposed to be doing 2hours with first 50min at 9min mile then 40mins at 8.30 then 20mins at 8min mile. As Colin and Lee mentioned though, my pacing was *a little* <cough> out..

In the interests of full disclosure, here are the mile splits. I ran just over 16M total:

1. 08:38

2. 08:36

3: 08:12

4: 08:28

5: 08:34

6: 09:18 (had been trying to slow down, clearly overdid it! - why is running slower so hard?)

7. 08:16

8. 09:00

9. 08:56

10. 08:44

11: 08:35

12: 08:25

13: 08:26

14: 07:42

15: 07:36

I really need to work on my pacing!!

• Options
    haha. I will post mine when I get in later. Think it was pretty similar. although you were a bit faster at the end. image
  • Options
    SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Hi Rosie, it was really great to catch up with you on Saturday at the training day - and I'm so pleased that you started to nail the pace on the latter half of the run. I'm sure having me on your heels on my Brompton helped! image I think you're looking really strong, and our discussion about what bits of training you are enjoying most/finding most challenging was really helpful. (As was the discussion about Sidney's atopic dermatitis! Sorry everyone, puppy talkimage)

Did you manage to find out about a half mara for week 8/9? Let me know so I can schedule it in.

So, to next week:

We're into week 6 of the schedule. This is pretty in line with the RW Ultimate 3.30 Schedule, except for Rosie's double day on Tuesday and the planned parkrun on Saturday.

Week Six w/c 30/1/12 (44M)
    Mon Rest + strength training.
    Tue Run 1) 3 miles steady Run 2) 6M CONSISTING OF 1M jog, then 9 x 2 mins fast up hill, jog back. Then 1M jog at end of session
    Wed 9M slow
    Thu 1M jog, then 4M brisk, then 1M jog TRY TO DO THIS ON LEVEL FLAT SURFACE
    Fri Rest + strength training. COMPULSORY NO RUNNING DAY
    Sat parkrun (or 4 miles easy)
    Sun 18M EASY (this one can be off-road – ensure ‘effort level’ is easy even if pace is slower than the pace guidelines for easy).

Luke The For Goodness Shakes works well as a recovery drink - it provides a good balance of fluid, electrolytes, carbs and protein. Any milky drink will work OK. I tend to use nesquick powder in normal milk (cheaper). There's been some positive research on milk-based drinks being v benefical for recovery. Sure Ruth might have more info to add on this.

Yes, definitely helped having you behind me - she's good at judging running pace from a bike everyone, she told me I'd sped up before my garmin did!! Thanks! [Will email you the follow up from our puppy talk when I've had a few chats with people..] Was really useful to talk, and thanks for all the pacing tips!

Still working on the half marathon for week 8/9. Will let you know as soon as I do though. Any ideas anyone? A half marathon in the next two-three weeks that I could still get into and isn't crazy travel distance from Edinburgh (or is pretty close to the East Coast mainline as I have good dug-sitting connections on that route)?

Resting today is going ok so far. As it's not a CNRD, I'm thinking of an easy run in a bit (<40min!), then am due to be horseriding for a bit this evening as I have a class, possible swimming (easy social talk as you swim not hard-at-it stuff) after that depending on my friend's schedule..

Breakfast and snack been ok too. Was super-useful talking to Ruth at the weekend, among other things has really cemented in my mind the importance of vitamin D for someone in my situation. So, this week's target is lunch. I'm working on soup for this week. Made some yesterday (sweet potato and butternut squash) and have frozen enough for 6 lunches. Seeing as the target is to have it before 1pm I should get cracking..!

• Options
    Luke Ellis 2 wrote (see)
    haha. I will post mine when I get in later. Think it was pretty similar. although you were a bit faster at the end. image
    The last few miles were on the track so I had Steve, Sam, Ruth, RW people with camera, and two random (but very enthusiastic!!) spectators watching me! Also Lee kept lapping me (to be fair to him, at the pace he was supposed to be running at he could hardly help it!) I blame them though image. Absolutely nothing to do with my inability to pace...
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Rosie A wrote (see)
    Where was the Brass Monkey half Minni? Great that you’re in for Meadows! I only thought of using my garmin for distance halfway through last year. Was very grateful when I did though as I didn’t make it nearly as far as you and was thoroughly confused by lap three! Would be great to say Hi. I work in one of the uni buildings on the course so am very well acquainted with the local food and beverage suppliers should you have time for a drink after..   

York, Rosie.   I'm looking forward to the Meadows - I really enjoyed it last year.  I'm not sure of my movements afterwards but will definitely say hello.  I've been trying to find the 2011 results but the link seems to have died.  I might have to drop them an email.  Any ideas?

Do you run with a garmin?  I have mine set to 'average pace' to help with my pacing.  This has all been quite new to me too in the last year but its definitely worth trying to get it right.  As well as making sure I hit the faster paces in training, it also stops me going off too fast during races then dying before the end! 

• Options

Hi Rosie - like Minni, I set my Garmin (110) on average pace at all times cos that lets me know how i'm doing overall and I enjoy doing the calcs in my head when i need to up the pace as to what the average pace needs to be in, say, 1 mile time taking account of how many total miles run etc.  - it also means that one quicker mile somewhere dosen't matter if the overall is still in the correct range.  At the end of the day it's what works for you though.

Good to see you are sticking with the diet advice from Ruth and inching it in to a sustainable lifestyle change.

• Options

Yo bird

How about this one for your half - I think it works out about week 8 for you. My old home ... flat and fast. Only a couple of short inclines that I can remember. (My second fastest run was at this one).  It's about 3 hours up the A9 but loads of parking if Dug is ok to be caged in the car while you run (then you can take him to the beach after to make up for it). 

You can get an entry form from:  http://www.forresharriers.org.uk/races.htm

KINLOSS – LOSSIEMOUTH

HALF MARATHON

SUNDAY 19TH FEBRUARY 2012

Venue:             Lossiemouth Community Centre, Coulardbank Road, Lossiemouth, IV31 6JW. 

Facilities:         The Community Centre has the following facilities: car parking, changing rooms, showers and dining facilities

Registration:    Registration will take place from 9.00AM – 9.45AM where competitors will be able to collect their race memento. 

Transport:        Buses will be provided to transport runners from Lossiemouth Community Centre to the race start at RAF Kinloss.  Buses will leave at 9.50AM.  Runners will be able to leave their kit at RAF Kinloss if they so wish where it will be transported back to Lossiemouth Community Centre for collection after the race.

Sorry - don't know any closer ones ... Maybe you could just run there and back as warm up /cool down image

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Hi Rosie, I picked up five different maps from the bike shop when I got me me new bike yesterday. Between 7 and 13.5 mile, can adjust too, they interlock and been planning my 20 milers. . Think there is a discount for the cathedral coffee shop on one of them too...

Let me know if you want me to post them up to you or what ever. They all look suitable for running from what I can tell.
  • Options

Here we go:

1. 08:13

2. 08:26

3. 08:50

4. 08:48

5. 08:26

6. 08:19

7. 08:46

8. 08:18

9. 08:16

10. 08:30

11. 07:45

12. 08:18

13: 08:05

14. 08:26

15. 08:02

Bit eractic in parts but i'm learning.

• Options
    Rosie. Looks like you had a spiffing time in Birmingham. Keep it up!

Have you thought about the Lasswade 10 mile race as an alternative to your half? It's sunday 4th march so might be too late though. It's a brilliant race though tough course in the first half with one or two serious hills. I've done it a few times and always loved it. About 400 runners I think

Have you looked on Scottishrunningguide ?
  • Options

Not able to read all posts, not sure why, so if I have ignored a question, sorry!

It was great to meet Rosie at the weekend, what a motivated girl!

As Rosie has mentioned I have given her a target to batch freeze some foods starting with soup but I also mentioned I am happy for her to buy some soups such as lentil, vegetable, potato type soups as long as she heats them and eats them! So each weekend she will hopefully make a meal which can then just be heated up. Any easy vegetarian dishes that batch freeze well be welcomed for Rosie to choose from. I will also add some before the weekend.

The target remains:

• Breakfast everyday but add a small glass of orange juice (approx 150ml) to breakfast. Special  K and branflakes are fine (the orange juice will increase iron absorption from the cereal by about 3 fold).
    •  Mid-moring snack - yoghurt and  1 x fresh fruit but different types of fruit over the week and lunch each day!
    • Are you on iron supplements?

Have a good few days and try and keep focus on your  nutritionimage

Luke - Milk is great for recovery due to the different proteins in it (whey & casein) as well as the right balance of carbs to protein. Milk can be from milky drinks/ foods or within cereal. I often think milk is underated (unless you cannot tolerated it) it has become common for people to cut out dairy but this can do more harm than good for many.

• Options

Ruth, All this food talk is great my diet is not the bestimagewhat would you recommend for preventing cramps? Is it food I need to target? I suffered cramp on my last marathon at about 20 miles, I took on gels and water so didn't think it was down to not taking enough. I did a 10k run on Sunday morning and in the evening after plenty of stretching my right hamstring started going tight as if almost cramping,  any ideas?

Rosie- Nice to see you are eating betterimage

• Options

Minni - I'm not sure about last year's results. If you email them I guess they'll have them somewhere. Did you check them at the time? I was down as a DNF (or did not start, actually- despite garmin showing I did!!) as their chips were really dodgy and mine didn't work at all. It was my fastest half of the year according to garmin too! I emailed them about that in October when entries opened and they replied to me last week (I do love students!, it's a race I'm very fond of partly because of the student quirks!) but they have promised different chips this year and said they are aware of the problems etc.

wow, Sleepy Bear I'd love to run up there. I don't have a dog sitter that day though (well I do, but they are down south and there is a limit to how long I can leave the boingy one with most people at the moment!, sadly) I'm not sure how Dug would feel about car sitting for me. He's just finished teething and is practising with the new weapons... It might be slightly too early to try that! Looks like a great race though. I've added it to my spreadsheet for next year!

Lasswade 10 looks very interesting Fraser, thanks!. I'm back doing clinical stuff full time soon for a bit so may get to try the track at Saughton too as I'll be in the right part of town. I think I shall email Sam about the layers of complexity in the options available (there is a possibility of the Watford half this weekend as it's an Asics one which I need to do one of, and would love to do as I have a much neglected friend near there - fortunately most of my friends are pretty understanding about mostly seeing me when there is a race nearby!), and post the final decision on here. It'll require some schedule juggling though by the looks of it..

Luke - those are good splits, were you going for a progression run or steady pace? What happened at mile 11?

• Options

Ruth - thanks for all the amazing advice and encouragement on Saturday. Have checked the Vit D and it's the 25microgram one. Weirdly I was in the chemist on Sunday and found myself looking at the iron supplements and wondering if there was something I should be doing there. The current answer is that I'm not taking any - have been told I'm anaemic every time I've had bloods done for at least the last five years (ranging from Hb of 7.8-10g/dl), I had a transfusion once as it got silly low but that was years and years ago, but somehow have never done anything about the more recent results iron wise. I didn't get to see the blood results myself, those were just the values reported, but nooone suggested it was anything worth further work up. Complicatedly one of the meds I'm on following the longer term illness thing means I do get a mild thrombocytopenia as a side effect - more symptomatic at some times than others, but the options for switching to a different drug are limited and the benefits outweigh the side effect. I've wondered whether it's worth doing something Vitamin K or B12 related in relation to that, but again my weird attitude to nutrition this far has resulted in no action on that front image. Apologies I know it's really hard to advise without the full set of blood results. The clinical part of my brain wishes I had them too. Sorry to be so absurdly complicated!!

Thanks for the encouragement Craig, Oscarr and Gazelle. Could you bring the maps in March Craig? Would be great to see them. Would be happy to copy and post back if you are using them too.

So, to today's training. Hills! Woo!!! [In another development I'm thinking of joining a club. I've never been in a running club before but have decided to take the plunge and am going to a club session tomorrow to try one out. It's a hill running club - I do like hills, but they look like a really strong club and am slightly scared how rubbish I'll be at proper hill running! Sam has advised to stick to mostly their flatter sessions for now, so that gives me a few months to get my head around the hillier stuff].

Today's sessions:

Run 1) 3 miles steady

Run 2) 6M CONSISTING OF 1M jog, then 9 x 2 mins fast up hill, jog back. Then 1M jog at end of session

I shall report...

• Options
    Yeyyy Rosie - which club? Carnethy / Bog Trotters are the 2 that spring to mind as the hill runners - though I've met some of the Portobello crew and they were fab fun too.  What fun - not sure who'll lead who astray image
  • Options
    Carnethy, SB.image Though I've heard Hunter's Bog Trotters spoken highly of too.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I emailed them yesterday and they emailed the results straight back!   I knew my time from last year but wanted to see my position.  My chip was ok but I see on the results (and remember noticing this last year too) that there are quite a few splits missing from the results.  I wonder how they prove these people ran the whole distance!

I always thought if I lived in Edinburgh I'd join the HBT.  The female runners are all very pretty with pigtails but they're as hard as nails and win everything!! 

• Options
    I wnet out with the idea of running slower than last week and seeing how I got on. So tried to just run at a comfortable pace for the whole time. Didn't really achieve that and had to have a rest day yesterday because I was goosed. (I had also played footie on sat)

Out with the club tonight 10 miles in the freezing cold. Grim.
  • Options

Let's face it Minni - they have to be good lookers to pull that kit off image

Can't think just now what Carnethy's kit is like - keep getting stuck and daydreaming about the Carnethy 5.  I did have a profile on the Scottish Hill runners site in my maiden name which always tickled me as I only ever managed 2 "real" hill races (and they HURT like hell but I loved it).  I'm sure you'll have a great time with them Rosie. In the meantime, hope you manage to find some piranha puppy teeth for the tooth fairy.  I have 2 of Rascal's that escaped the hoover - tiny little daggers they are LOL

Woolly pants on Luke - get out there! (Says she that snuck off to to the warm, cosy gym but I'm going out tomorrow (honest) when it's due to be even colder Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr)

Even faster intervals today - yippppppeeee - liking these super slow recoveries - feeling pretty blinkin' good afterwards - ahhhhh yes - this is why we DO IT!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Ha ha you're not wrong SB!    Back in the day I was part of a relay team running the Great Glen and every year the HBT ladies robbed us of the prize.  Skipping around as if it were just a warm up.  Then last year I ran the Haddington half and  I was getting changed afterwards when this lady came in with her children.  I didn't notice her at first but it became apparent from the conversation that she's won and I just knew before I even looked who it was.  A HBT!  I thought, god a few years down the line and a couple of children and she still makes it look easy!   image