Options

Lazeegirl Challenge #2 Tough Mudder

Comments

• Options
    Hey LG- don't let it get you down- find another form aof excercise while the knee recovers- do you have gym membership?- if so try the elliptical trainer, bikes, or pool runinng. Mighth not be the best moment to start running too much.
  • Options

My knee is a lot better today, Tricia, thanks and I put on my running gear, scraped the car and headed off to JogScotland only to find it had started an hour earlier than I'd thought!  What an idiot I am at times!  I didn't bother going on my own. I just took the dog for a walk today.   I've decided to rest the leg until Tuesday when it's my next fitness class.

No, I'm not a member of a gym and can't afford to do anything else now as the military fitness classes are the equivalent of gym membership by direct debit each month...my local pool is closed for repair, but I have been meaning to try others for swimming (there are a lot of "leisure pools" that you can't really swim in).And talking of bikes - I've got a bike and now have lights for it, so no excuses there!

• Options

Hi LG. Hows it going knee holding up ok?Did you manage to head to the fitness class tonight?

Read some of your thread last year and saw this one, just thought I'd pop by and say well done & good luck!

• Options

Tom,

Your message came at just the right time!  I feel really low.  My knee was feeling better, but I did a number of squats at home and it's as bad as ever!  I'm still having difficulty getting up and down stairs and with walking even gentle hills, so although I really wanted to go to the class tonight, I gave it a miss, worried in case there would be a lot of leg exercises.  I haven't done any classes since Thursday last week and I'm feeling like "all is lost"! 

I was just about to Google 'knee pain, is it safe to exercise?' (or something) there when i saw your message.   The guy who took last Thursday's class - when I injured my knee - did mostly lower body (leg) circuits and the other instructor there (just observing mostly) told a few of us off for landing too heavily on our knees during some of the exercises...

But the worst thing is that all the negative self-talk has started to creep in.  I had all but convinced myself that I'm far too old to be taking up exercise; that I've always had dodgy knees; that I've done myself a real injury; is all this pain and wear and tear (could it be permanent?) isn't worth it just to do tough Mudder...

On the other hand, I need to get more exercise and I really enjoyed those classes.  I just hate hobbling about, but I did the same at the start of the marathon training too.  I think a lot of it is just the body getting used to exercising again?

I would be really grateful for advice.  What should I do?  Grin and bear it?  Rest for a wee while?  Give up?  I don't want to give up.

So thanks for sending me a message, Tom.  You've lifted my spirits again! image

• Options

I'm no expert at avoiding knee injury, in fact quite the opposite. I've also been told that just about every male on one side of my family has a history of knee trouble so I guess genetics aren't on my side, but I've found with the right combination of rest it's possible to keep going.

How long is it till the race?A key part of training is listening to your body, if you can't walk up the stairs I wouldn't recommend running right now, and trust me I've tried the combination.

It's certainly no reason to give up, but go easy on the knees, alot of these exercise classes can be hard going on your knees if your landing heavily. Something low impact, but ideally keeps your fitness up. Swimmings ideal but I think you said your pool is closed?Walking is good too, and once the knee starts feeling better try and get back into it slowly. It may be worth speaking to the instructors at the class too?

Great work on the press ups by the way (been reading back) my upper body/core strength is terrible, I've recently started the 200 sit ups challenge, its hard going though!

• Options

I also find it's useful to find some way of focusing on the end goal without actually exercising to cope with the fustration of being injured. Like training plans/motivational books/eating healthier.

I'm currently fighting a serious takeaway addiction. I seem to have got into a habit of eating them 3+ times a week. The staff even stop and say hello to me if they see me walking around town. image

• Options
    thanks, Tom.  I don't eat takeaways, but I do eat lots of crisps and peanuts late at night.  can easily demolish over 1000 calories just watching 'The Biggest Loser' image  But I do that on snacks EVERY night.  Not good...
  • Options
    Tom, just be careful with the sit-ups challenge (I've read the press-ups and squats challenge too) - have you read that sit-ups can damage your back?  I didn't know about it until recently when I had been looking up some ab trainer on Amazon and someone left a review, with a link to some guy's site, citing the medical evidence that a lot of ab exercises can injure the spine.  I don't remember the link, sorry...
  • Options

Thanks, I'll be careful, although I don't think I'm doing enough/getting far enough off the ground to do any damage yet, but I have had back problems in the past so I'll take it easy.

Hows the knee feeling today?Any better?

Also The biggest loser, I'm still not sure why I watch it, but I can never turn it off!

• Options

I started watch The Biggest Loser last year because I think they did some challenge where, as a team, they had to cycle (on exercise bikes) a marathon distance and someone texted me and said something like, "If the fatties on the Biggest Loser can do a marathon, then so can you", so I watched it on ITV player on my laptop.  That's what I was doing last night as I munched my way through a family bag of tortilla chips! image

I think they make big weight loss seem achievable in a short period of time (I even think 2-4lbs in a week is an amazing weight loss), but it's not realistic unless you are very overweight to begin with.  I think it's a shame what the contestants have to live with in real life, through being obese - the physical and emotional hardships and good on them for trying to turn that around, but it is so hard to change even one bad habit (as I know!) and to keep it up - that must be the really difficult part - especially if you have a lot of weight to lose and don't see or feel the effects for many months. 

• Options

might have to check that out tonight to fight the inevitable mid week boredom.

Right chores done, house kinda cleaner, time for a haircut and then work.

Have a good day LG

• Options

You sound so organised, Tom!  I'm in the middle of filling out the costings online for a research grant application (yawn!).  Why do they make it so difficult?  I mean, I KNOW I need the money and my that research will be groundbreaking, can't they just take my word for it?image  That's why I'm happy to procrastinate doing anything else instead...well, except housework (there's ALWAYS something better to do than THAT).

I've got the perfect excuse for not doing any chores so far today anyway - the water supply is off!  I know, it doesn't stop me getting the hoover out...

Hope you have a good day at work too.

• Options

Sit ups are bad for your back in isolation. If you're just strengthening your front, what do you expect, your body will be out of balance.

Regards BMF, I know two people who've been injured doing their classes. Take exercises that you normally give to 17/18 year old soldiers and give them to middle aged sedentary people.....

• Options
    TimR wrote (see)
     Take exercises that you normally give to 17/18 year old soldiers and give them to middle aged sedentary people.....

Ah Tim, wise words indeed! 

and to think I started this challenge to feel better about turning 40 and here I am,  getting injured and being reminded I'm middle-aged and unfit.image  Ooh, the irony! image

Still, I can either just give up and roll over to the knacker's yard and declare, "That's it, I've left it too late!" Or I can just plod along as best I can (injuries permitting).  I'm still not too sure which way i'll go yet...my mum gave me a huge tubular bandage this morning.  I might wear that at the next class for a bit of suport.

• Options
    Lol. Loads of us started up again in out late 30s. Maybe it's the big 40looming and the thought if I don't do something now I'm going to be in trouble.

Just take it easier and don't try to keep up with the 'youngsters' or the 'oldies' who've been at it for years. image
  • Options
    Lazeegirl wrote (see)

You sound so organised, Tom!  I'm in the middle of filling out the costings online for a research grant application (yawn!).  Why do they make it so difficult?  I mean, I KNOW I need the money and my that research will be groundbreaking, can't they just take my word for it?

smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

That's why I'm happy to procrastinate doing anything else instead...well, except housework (there's ALWAYS something better to do than THAT).

I've got the perfect excuse for not doing any chores so far today anyway - the water supply is off!  I know, it doesn't stop me getting the hoover out...

Hope you have a good day at work too.

I wish I was. I'm actually horribly disorganised, as the state of my desk shows at work. It's a constant battle for me to just make sure I'm in the right place at the right time. What sort of research do you do?

TimR wrote (see)

Sit ups are bad for your back in isolation. If you're just strengthening your front, what do you expect, your body will be out of balance.

I'd never thought about it that way Tim, any tips on what I could do to compensate for this/strengthen my back?Preferably something not to time consuming I could do at home in the morning?

• Options
    Touching your toes.

Stand feet shoulder width apart arms straight up. Bend at your waist until your as far down as you can get. Then back up again.

Simple exercises ate always the best.

If you're doing pull ups make sure you are doing pull ups with palms facing you and not chin ups palms away. Start with a low bar or on a chair and chin at bar height and lower yourself slowly. When you feel strong enough then have a go at going back up but don't worry about that for the first few weeks.

Press ups do with knees on the floor go from straight arms to arms a 90 degrees to start with. Eventually try to go back up to straight arms. But again don't worry about that in the first few weeks.
  • Options
    Hi LG - been a bit busy so no time to check in on you and when /i do you've hurt your knee and sound a bit fed up!!

Where does your knee hurt? And how exactly did you do it?

Personally, If you are looking for strengthening exercises look at core strength first - if you don't have that to start with, all the arm, leg and back strength in the world won't help you run. Core is the basis for all movement - if you are strong and stable through the pelvis your back is stronger because your core, particularly your trans abs, support your spine. That is why people who have low back pain are always told to strengthen their core. A strong core gives you stability through the pelvis which is crucial when you run.

Sit-ups done correctly do not injure your back - you do not need to lift your lower back off the floor to engage your abs and trans abs. The "pull" up is all from the abs/trans abs - not the back at all and keep your glutes soft. Tuck your chin down to your chest else your neck will hurt - your head is very heavy!!

And finally.... you are NOT to old to get fit! You know this LG! You are just a spring chicken... I honestly think that half your doubts are because you do it with an "all or nothing" attitude. You have changed so many things all at once and of course it's a shock to the system! Fitness is a gradual process... no quick routes... it has to be gained gradually and built on carefully. Don't give up LG - you want this and it is attainable.
  • Options

Hiya guys, I just watched this clip about how/why to do the Janda sit-ups  - http://youtu.be/JDLPFrpZdxM 

(just try not to get too distracted by the other videos on there, such as the 'Bombshell Butt Workout' image

• Options

Thanks for the pep talk, TL.  You're right - I've always been an "all or nothing" kind of person!  I'm so impulsive.  Trying to see things through - like the marathon training - was really hard going for me.  But at the same time, having a goal to focus on does really help.

The knee started hurting after the military fitness class last Thursday - well, during it.  It was mostly leg exercises for the full hour.  At first, it was the outside of my left knee that really hurt, but they now both just ache when I go upstairs.  The downstairs is getting easier. 

There's still other stuff I could be doing.  I have a car - I could drive to another pool, do more walking, or go out on the bike.  The military class isn't everything.  It's just easy - you turn up, they shout at you and so you move for an hour under instruction.  What I really need to do is get MYSELF moving!  There's no excuse for me not doing anything - I'm just being lazy! image

Right now, i'm sitting up in bed with my family bag of tortilla cheese chips (again!), watching abdominal exercises on 'youtube'.  Ha, if only I could get fit doing this! image  I'd be able to teach it...

• Options

Watching the biggest loser, is it wrong it makes me hungry?

• Options

yES, tOM, IT'S REALLY WRONG!  Oops, sorry didn't realise caps lock was on.  I eat every night when I'm on my laptop anyway, so I hadn't noticed any particular hunger watching the biggest loser.  I am fascinated with the contestants' bodies though - I mean, how many scratches. bruises do they have on their legs (in the close-up at weigh-in)!  And I think it's a shame the way they're made to bear their midriffs (not sure how to spell that word). 

I wonder if the guy who won it from last year has kept off the weight he lost?  He was featured in Runner's World. ...

• Options
    Watch your knees LG - it could be your ITB. (google it). If it's tight it pulls on the knee cap and pulls it slightly out of alignment so it doesn't track properly and causes the pain.

• Options

I'll confess it did lead to me eating rather a lot of rubbish last night, but I stopped when I saw your message.

You mean Wil Graham LG?You can follow him on twitter it seems like he's kept it off. https://twitter.com/#!/wil_graham

Also checked out the video of the sit ups exercises (whilst trying and successfully not being distracted by other work out vids!) looks pretty hard but some interesting points made in the build up. May give them a try on my next non-running day.

Think today will be a work from home day today, which means I can change my normal lunch time run route, although last time I took this one I had a bit of a disaster.

How are you today?

• Options

Well Tom, did you do your lunch time run?  Hope it wasn't a disaster!

My knees are still sore.  TL, I'm not sure what it is, but it's like I can't bend my knees and put any weight on them.  Even taking shopping bags into the house (up a couple of steps) is difficult.  That's been a week now.  How long are they going to ache going up and down stairs?  It seems such a high price to pay for a 1 hour fitness class!  I'm beginning to worry if I'll ever be able to walk normally again.  Did I have this trouble with the marathon training?  I'll need to go back and check!  I'm having to pay for the military fitness classes by monthly direct debit, yet I can't attend the class (or even do running).  It's getting abit annoying.

I did the Janda sit ups tonight though.  First reps seemed really easy, but by the the 3rd or 4th rep, they seemed a killer.  I was just imagining my toned abdominal muscles, UNDER my spare tyre.  I need to get rid of that first.

I looked up Wil Graham (didn't realise from his accent that he's Scottish) and he does look great.  No wonder - he goes to the gym twice a day, 5 days a week!  And for a long walk on Sundays.  I can only think that it's a wonder I'm not 30 stone like he used to be!

I feel like I'll never get fit at this rate... 

• Options
    Oh Dear LG.... what are we going to do with you?? LOL. Let's just take a look here at what you've done...you've gone from (what I gather prior to January?) doing zero strength type training to attending military style fitness classes and knowing you, you probably did the full hours sessions as "full on" as you could manage? That is all well and good if you are already reasonably fit - even if you are in the beginners fitness group I'd suggest you don't do the full session at first. Did you run to the class to warm up? Or just jump right in? And the military style "warm up" is usually like a full on session rather than a gentle warm up image

It is a shock to your system. Military fitness is brilliant - I used to do it in Derby when I was working there a couple of years ago and it is great fun. But you need to know where to draw the line. So, initially you only do 50 - 60% of what they ask you to do - speak to the instructor first. They don't want you to get injured - they want you to attend their class. My son has just joined the army - he went to Catterick at the beginning of January and is getting beasted everyday fitness-wise. They've got them on 5000 calories a day!! Mind you he's only 20 and absolutely loving it.

I think your leg muscles have taken a pounding and have reacted by tightening up. Do you have a foam roller? If not, get a large bath towel and roll it into a tight tube shape. First of all, check out your ITB by lying on the tube on your side with the tube under your hip then roll down the tube with your full weight on the outside of your leg. Roll down towards your knee. Does it hurt? If it does - tight ITB and this can really hurt!! Sometimes it's hard to put your full weight on - it can make me sweat sometimes!! But doing this won't do harm. It will massage the ITB and loosen it. You can do hamstrings like this too, and quads. It's all good.
  • Options

Morning all, happy weekend.

Got my lunch time run in on Thursday, still found it a struggle, I'm not sure why, but I always do on this route. Was hard work not slipping into the river at points too my road shoes were no match for the conditions.

Any progress on the knees LG?Done any more Janda sit ups?I'm yet to take them on.

TL makes some good suggestions with the foam roller/rolled up towel. Any joy?

• Options

Hello Everyone,

Sorry I went AWOL for a few weeks!  I didn't get the knack of the roller method, but I will keep it in mind and try again if I need to in future - thanks TL.  I had difficulty with my knee for a few weeks and I was reluctant to go back to the military fitness classes once it got a bit better, but I just did what Tiger Lilly suggested in one of her earlier messages - I opted out of anything that I knew was too heavy on the knees.  I thought they might shout at me - and, at first, they did, until I explained that I'd missed a few weeks because of injury. 

So I've been back for a few sessions now and have started back doing my 4 mile walk/run circuit of my local country park each day with the dog, even stopping to do the monkey bars on a swingpark along the way!  It's like being back at school and running home at lunch time all over again! image  At first, i was totally rubbish and could barely hold on for 2 bars, but I'm increasing every day.  One of these days, I'll get across to the other end.   But the touble with these bars is that they are staggered in height as you go along and, just as your arms get more tired, they go up another level - so it's all good practice for Tough Mudder.

Anyone fancy joining me yet?  I'm still looking for team mates! Tough Mudder, scotland, July 14th 

I've done a few more Janda sit-ups, Tom, but not many times - my abs have been getting a great work out at the military fitness class, so I'm often aching afterwards.  Hope you don't fall into that river - sounds very dangerous!

• Options

HI, 

I just stumbled across your posts.... Maybe out of bravery or stupidity I have signed up to do this year's tough mudda. I am absolutely CRAPPING myself!

I am not really a runner but do play football and squash a few times a week. I have started running withmy mate from work and we are up to 3 miles. It is quite tiring but I reckon I can keep it up.

Watching the videos for tough mudder though, it looks nails! I'll be interested to see how you get on with training too.

Good luck!image

• Options

Thanks, Steven.  You must already be fit if you play football and squash, so you should be fine.  July is AGES away!  If you're up to 3 miles already, you'll get to 12 well ahead of the event itself.   And you'll already be used to getting muddy, playing football in all weathers, eh?

Is your mate doing Tough Mudder with you?  Are you doing the Scottish race?

Let us know how your training goes too.

Good luck to you as well!image