Options

Forum changes: preview and your feedback wanted

Comments

• Options
    elspeth fayelspeth fay ✭✭✭

Don't like it either. Worst thing is threads go back to first post on bookmarked threads.

• Options
    elspeth fay wrote (see)

Worst thing is threads go back to first post on bookmarked threads.

Normal service will be resumed on that today, sorry. In the meantime have you tried the new 'followed threads' page? In some ways it's a useful alternative to the bookmarks page in that it's easier to see which threads have been replied to recently:

/members/images/4102/gallery/Screen_Shot_2012-05-03_at_18.43.19.png

• Options
    Gobi wrote (see)
    Bookmarks don't list properly or delete propely

I'll drop you a line to find out more

• Options

Might be great if it worked but it's incompetently rolled out while still full of bugs.

Slow to load - though better today than yesterday; quote function seems to fail for a number of us; bookmarks don't work properly; cursor not visible.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

It has got faster, thankfully.  It was dreadful yesterday!

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Sean I liked my bookmarks. this is not the first time RW has just battered in and changed the format or the text or whatever. I know we are a captive audience and all that but some better testing and maybe just some discussion with a few users would be wise. Certain functions we just like. I also seem to have formatting issues.
  • Options

I don't like it either..... why do you have to change things, when there was nothing wrong with them? Software changes yes, but why the visuals? I don't like the way the screen whizzes down, nor that when you press a thread it autmatically goes to the first page, instead of last.

• Options
    Gobi wrote (see)
    this is not the first time RW has just battered in and changed the format or the text or whatever... maybe just some discussion with a few users would be wise.

To be fair, we did invite you all to come and try the new format back on March (in fact this thread was started then, and has been pinned to the top of the General folder since then - you can see on the first page of the thread)

Feedback was - surprisingly - good, and we addressed what seemed like the key issues before the rollout.

But I'll be the first to acknowledge that new issues come up when products are set fully live, some which could have been foreseen or better tested, and some which are less predictable (eg bookmarks).

One one level we'd much rather have left the forums exactly as they were, but the pages were written in a very old programming language (.asp) and becoming harder to maintain and integrate with the rest of the site.

That's all a very long way of saying we appreciate your bearing with us over the transition, we're listening, and reacting as fast as we can

• Options

To reiterate re clicking to first/last page in a thread - that's being fixed today. It should be fine from within the forum already, but it wasn't working properly from the bookmarks and My Forum pages. RW had different database settings from other sites.

And for now as an alternative to forum bookmarks, have you tried the new 'followed threads' page? In some ways it's handier in that it's easier to see which threads have been replied to recently:

/members/images/4102/gallery/Screen_Shot_2012-05-03_at_18.43.19.png

• Options

Thanks, Sean, for making that clear... x

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

To be fair to Fishpoo and RW, they did ask for people's input ages ago and lots of us made comments, suggestions (and moans).

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

Wilks is right - the changes have been known about for some time so I don't see why people are bleating about it now - it's not exactly the end of the world is it??  From memory, this is about the 4th major layout change since I joined - when this place was mainly fields image - and people have always ranted about the changes at the time. Guess what happens?? Nothing - people adapt like they do when many things change.

And each change has mainly been for the better with new features added.  I quite like what they've done this time - be even better when they fix some of the minor issues.  

Pishfool - good job mate - just ignore the naysayers.....image

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Hey no worries I guess I am the issue as I only use certain threads so never saw the new format thread etc. I only saw it today because my bookmarks didn't work when I was setting up the daily thread. That said "And for now as an alternative to forum bookmarks, have you tried the new 'followed threads' page? In some ways it's handier in that it's easier to see which threads have been replied to recently:" You don't really have a choice as the bookmarks don't work.
  • Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    slowerthanilook wrote (see)

Jeez Dave, you miserablist bastard. What happened to "cheerful"? And you're right, Freemers, that your bum looks big on this version, although i never saw it on the last, so it may just be that you're a little pear-shaped?

OK, so that made me laughimage And without realising it you probably also made Cheerful Dave chuckle too... 

• Options

HATE THE NEW FORMAT !

Hate it , hate it , hate it .

What more can I say ?

oh yeah

Hate it , hate it , hate it !

• Options

I don't think it looks that different so can't understand the passionate hatred some of you feel.  We'll all get used to it.

Sean - thanks for the update.

A couple of new bugs I've found;

1. Clicking the go to last post arrow from the list of threads doesn't seem to be working.  You get taken to the last page (sometimes, see below) but not the last post as previously.

2. The main thread I use, Crap at Relationships in Clubhouse, clicking on the last post arrow takes me to page 1000, not the last page and certainy not the last post.

I'm using FireFox 11 on a Windows 7 machine.  I've not noticed any problems on iPhone.  Oh, and can you sort out the place holder sizing for our avatars please.  No one likes looking squished.  Thanks

• Options

[updated at 4.25pm]

Hello all

thanks as ever for the  feedback. Here's a quick update - please don't be backward about coming forward if I've left anything offimage

Fixed, signed off

• 'Last post' setting is now obeyed  when clicking from 'my bookmarks' and 'my forum' pages, and from notification emails
    • Speed – should be back to normal now; we fixed a key 'content expiration' setting on the server (obviously image )
    • Your 'my forum'  settings should be exactly the same as before. Please advise if you think this is not the case, but these should not have been altered at all.
    • pagination at the bottom of 'latest posts' etc is fixed, but it's broken on threads pages within forum folders - see below
    • Line breaks now work in posts from mobiles
    • Edit-message now works from mobiles
    • Squashed avatars unsquashed. May still need some tidying, as a bit messy now
    • 'latest post' button from threads pages now goes direct to the post, not just the top of the last page in the thread
    • Removed the visible page scrolling when the page refreshes after making a post – just goes to the post
    • fixed pagination links at the bottom of  threads pages within forum folders

To address

• 'bookmark this' button is missing from forum messages pages
    • address greyness?
    • address member stats box - possibly re-stitching old 'hide other people's stats' setting
    • posts possibly not submitting from older iphone OSs
    • 'go to last post' green arrow on 'crap at relationships' thread (clubhouse) is stuck on p1000. Oddly goes beyond 1000 on other long threads
    • cursor question in some scenarios?
  • Options
    musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭

Don't like when you hover over person's avatar a big block box opens up and obscures the post

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

I agree with muskeeter on that one - it's an annoyance. and when it comes up  I don't see the point of listing how many posts, photos etc - that's quite intrusive and somewhat private info imho

why not just have a message/ignore button on it ??

• Options
    hillstriderhillstrider ✭✭✭

Don't hover over rhe avatar then. That information was previously shown at the top of each post.

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

When typing, the cursor disappears if you try and move it to edit whilst writing. Moving text is difficult also due to the disappearing cursor.

• Options

Thanks for the balance of posts, much appreciated.

I've updated the 'done' list a few posts above this one. Hopefully we're in a good shape to leave it for the weekend now...

Sarah, I'll drop you a line to find out more.

Terence, FB: I agree the box could be more elegant, and we could possibly make it switch-offable on your settings page. We'll have a mull. I've always quite liked the stats links, not so much from a 'high numbers = kudos' perspective, but because you can click though and see the reviews etc that the person has done.

• Options
    Soup DragonSoup Dragon ✭✭✭

How do you message someone? I see a little message tab at the bottom of the black box but it disappears when I try to click on it.

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

TE - easier said than done sometimes.  I don't disagree btw - but it's like some of the hyperlinks in webpages that pop up an info box if you happen to move over them - it can be bloody annoying!

Sean - why not put the stats info into someones profile so if people are curious about a person, they can dig around in their profile. and give users the chance to opt out (as there is with forum post count) if they don't want certain things seen.   many fora have options that you can opt in and out of which are more extensive than RW's

• Options

This change reminded me of this cartoon http://blog.thingsdesigner.com/uploads/id/tree_swing_development_requirements.jpg

Hope everybody gets what they want soon!

• Options

Hmmmm .......

Tried the new Followed Threads funntion.  By default it emails when a post is made.  If I remove the notifcation, becasue it's annoying, the thread is removed from the Followed Threads list.  Is this how it's supposed to work? 

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

better   then the old verson   even on google chrome we can get the smileys

• Options

And the Crapster thread problem has fixed itself now that it's on page 1002.  Obviously a bug in there though with a 1000 page count.  Not something that'll crop up too often.

• Options
    Sean Fishpool wrote (see)

To be fair, we did invite you all to come and try the new format back on March (in fact this thread was started then, and has been pinned to the top of the General folder since then - you can see on the first page of the thread)

Feedback was - surprisingly - good, and we addressed what seemed like the key issues before the rollout.

And yet there's a long list of things that have had to be fixed, with plenty more to come.  Like quoting: to get this text below the quote above, I had to insert some returns to create blank lines before inserting the quote at the top.  Inserting the quote straight away meant any text I was typing went straight into the quoted bit.

It's not the changes I object to, I'm sure there are very good reasons for it, but launching anything else that was so fundamentaly broken would result in a product recall.  Here, it seems to be down to the users to find the faults for you.  Have you not heard of quality control?

• Options

Second that cheerful Dave. I like Improvements and changes that push things forward but at least present a finished working model not something where there are parts still in the box the glue is dry and there are parts still in the box  yet the paint is being applied.