Options

Walt Disney World Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

There is a site called walt disney running if i remember rightly it  has the combined times for the Goofy Runs The average is about 6 &half hours, but they don't provide a combined time as the original intention was to have the Goofy as a challenge and not as a stand alone race.  So you get one finishing certificate with both times on

Currently there are 150 Perfectly Goofy runners of which I'm one (the only in the Uk as far as I'm aware) So by the end of this race I will have run 314.4 miles around Disney so far I've managed 6 sub 2hr 10 halfs and 4 sub 5 hour marathons but I really enjoyed this year as my calf gave up the ghost at 17 miles and I had to walk the remaining miles and I loved every mile of it  It is about the challenge and not about the watch !

• Options

Hi GG - As PB has said.  If you brace yourself for going up and down a few hills then the crowd will help you round.  It cant have been too bad or I wouldnt be going back LOL

• Options

Oooo......I'd heard a bit about the steady inclines in the GNR but I didn't realise there were that many of them! Don't like the sound of the steepish hill at the end either! Don't do hills very well! image

Ah well! It might strengthen the legs for Disney! image But better forget that possible PB!

Slowfoot - as I think I have said before, I am still amazed that you've managed to be fit enough each year to run all 7 Goofy's so far! image Glad you're going to be there in 2013 - you have to be there for the 20th! image

• Options

GG - I meant what I said about steady climbs they are very gradual climbs just over a distance not as bad as I maybe made it.

• Options

BP - thanks, that's good to hear. image

Although if I get it in my head that there are some 'hills', I may be pleasantly surprised and go faster on race day! image I can always hope...... image

• Options
    The great north run defies gravity and runs upgill to the sea. Although you don't like hills take the extra hill option and start on the right and go up and over the flyover you get a much quicker getaway.

The hill at marsden bank just destroys me. Rather worrying half way up you pass a crematorium so if you are contemplating a heart attack and impending death you can save yourself a trip to hospital and just head straight into the furnace. Its one of those climbs that just comes at the wrong time. I've ran it as a training run and you would hardly notice it was there unfortunately when you hit it at 10 miles it feels like ben nevis!!!!

Not done the GNR in a while. Its 10 years since I ran my 1st one and stumbled into this running lark and the GNR was where it all began.
  • Options

C33 - I ran the first ever GNR in 1981 just before I went to University with some mates from 6th Form College (Mike McCleod won) you would never have predicted then how big it would get. I never ran another one until 9 years ago and have run every year since then and would have run this year except I am in Disney on hols (tried to persuade the family to go a week earlier but the extra cost got in way). My aim is to run it until I can no longer physically do it which will hopefully see me go well past 25 in total.

Totally agree with starting on right hand side of Central Motorway much better start and within first 400 metres you have your own space to run. I have found over the years that Marsden Bank seems to get easier as I know what is other side of it. Bit I an still finding difficult to get my brain around is John Reed Road - 2 miles of steady incline after you have just done a nice 2 miles on flat.

• Options

Thanks - right hand side it is then! image

I wondered about the crowding slowing you down at the start of the GNR. Unforunately Disney can get crowded if you start in one of the later corrals. I think I was in corral D last time and I did the first 6 miles of the half at 2 mins per mile slower than the last 7 miles purely due to not being able to get past other runners at the beginning.

• Options

I did my first 2 miles at a record slow pace partly because of the crowds but more because I needed a loo stop straight after crossing the lstart line !   It was a long wait in that corral image 

• Options

Aaah, the Disney loo stops! Problem this year is that the stop that I always have in mind at mile 10 just in case I get the hydration wrong (e.g. if it is really hot) - the one in Magic Kingdom where you don't have to queue - is not at mile 10 any more so going to have to rethink things this time! image It has to be said though that this is one marathon where I do not have any concerns about the presence of loos en route!

• Options

Anyone manged to jump on a ride on the way round ?? i know a few people do but I was too busy getting round to contemplate a detour

• Options

No!!!! Really??? I didn't realise you could do that!!!! Brilliant! image

It has to be said though that I am too worried about actually making it to the finish line to do anything like that. image

Would love to be a confident enough runner to be able to do it though!

• Options

It was funny hearing runners going roung on Expedition Everest.  Full credit to them - I was just trying to get round in an upright position image

• Options

I'm back image

I resisted the urge for as long as I could, then the marathon sold out and the half and Goofy got fuller and fuller and fuller, tonight the credit card came out and .... Goofy here I come image

Not been doing an awful lot of training, so I better get my running shoes going, or it's gonna be a tough weekend for my 1st Goofy image

• Options

Nice of you to join us JPAtko.  You had more willpower than I did to last that long. image

• Options

Thanks C33, I ran the marathon last year (was to be my 1 and only Disney - as a special treat)

I was highly impressed by those doing the "Goofy" and wished I had had the guts to try it, haha.

• Options

Whoo, hoo!!! image Great news JP. 

I agree about the willpower - I only lasted until May!!! image

• Options

Thanks GG and MM, the training started today as I've let things slip a bit over the summer!!

An undulating 10k race this morning in the warm sun, felt a bit harder than I had hoped, but I got round unscathed in around the time I expected, bring on the long runs next image

• Options

Marathon and Goofy now 100% - 

• Options

Anyone going to the Downtown Disney post-marathon party?

• Options

We've not heard much about it but if it's fee I will be there !

We are on a tight budget for this trip so not sure if we will be able to buy park admission

• Options

Think it is free. You definitely don't need to pay any admission fee for Downtown Disney. Wonder what type of 'do' it will be? image

• Options

Goofy I've heard the do is a bit of a "Mickey Mouse" event image  I went to the after party at new york in 2008 and it was a pretty good night helped by the fact they had a beer sponsor and were selling the cheapest booze in the whole city. image   I body swerved the after party the day after the stalk home jubilee marathon a couple of months.  It finished at 4pm (not am PM) and involved them serving up local delecacies i.e. salty sheeps legs and pickled herring.  Mmmmmmmmm someone hold me back image

Well I can now officially stop trying to persuade people to join me in January for a wee run.  I'll go on my own then. image

• Options

Yes I have done  a ride on the way round.

It was in Epcot and was the ride that tells you the history of Norway The ride assistant thought me and mate were mad but got us to the front of the queue its about 25and a half miles These things have to be done !

• Options
    Is that the wee log flume type ride. Seem to remember one from the dim and distant past as it was about the only ride that was in epcot (and it wasn't even a good one). A log flume is classified as being an official water stationimage
  • Options

Everything after mile 21 was like running in imagea tunnel to me - fair play to you for having the courage to go off piste at mile 25 !!!!

• Options

C33 - excellent.image

Problem now is that I have told the family that you can go on rides on the way round now - and, as they are ride fanatics, they are insisting that, as Slowfoot says, "it has to be done"! imageimage

• Options

Does skipping a few miles on the monorail class as being a ride??? image