Options

Dublin 2012

2»

Comments

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭

i don't think anyone has run Dublin 2012 before.

• Options

Hi All,

I have just entered for Dublin marathon and wondered if anyone could recommend where to stay/best places to eat and general info?. Never been to Dublin before and will be travelling on my own so any advice appreciatted image.

This will be my third marathon and have used Hal Higdon training plans for previous two - cannot fault them.

Happy Jubilee Weekend

• Options
    Calamity82 - we stayed in the Grand Canal in Ballsbridge. Modern comfortable hotel with wifi, quiet bedrooms. It was a lovely walk down past the Aviva Stadium( an amazing structure- looks like a spaceship has landed!) to the Expo, and just a few minutes in the opposite direction to the Start/Finish so very convenient. We had a great deal the year I stayed there.
  • Options
    Ffran- thank you for that, will look into now and see if any offers on : ).
  • Options

Hi 2 all.   good luck 2 everyone in 2012. I did it last year. It pissed down but loved it. Running through phoenix park was great. The belvedere in denmark st is cheap. It pays 2 have a look on the internet. After the race try the guiness in mulligans in poobeg st. The best in town. Typical old irish bar. Im off 2 spain this year 2 run the Valencia marathon. (paella 4 me) 

• Options

We've stayed at The Arlington (on the river, by Halfpenny Bridge) several times.  Lovely place that does a wonderful marathon brekkie from 5.00am. Bit of a trek to the Expo but not too far from the start & very handy for Temple Bar!

Talos64 - thanx for the recomendation of Mulligans. Always on the lookout for good 'watering holes!'. 

• Options

Right, Hotel and flights booked, now just the training to get on with. Just thought i would add my name to the thread, if only to knock down the spam a notch for a few seconds.

• Options

FakeSwede - welcome aboard!

Pre training - training tonight. May need to invest in a pair of 'running wellies'?!!!

• Options

When is everyone satrting plans in earnest? I;m away for two weeks (end of July and beginniong of July) and can't see me managing to get any real runs in as it will be scorchio!

• Options

Training (in earnest?) starts next Monday.  But then again, the wonderful Hal Higson says 'Remember - Monday is always a rest day'. (I'll second that!). So I guess I'm going to be all up & raring to go next Tuesday! If I was as diligent at my training as I am doing all the planning & making relevant lists about fitness/nutrition - I'll have finished Dublin before I've started it!!

Good luck to all! 

• Options

Week 1 was a few weeks ago for me - I'm aiming for the 7th Oct for my first, remember.

This earlyish start is ironic as I did the Beast of Bryn on Saturday, in biblical conditions. All we were lacking were the plagues of locusts!!! It was 15 mile trail race with steep, steep climbs, precipitous descents, in deep mud, torrential rain, floods and gale force winds (fallen trees, the lot!). It was going to be my rule of thumb - if I managed to do it, I could definitely manage another double. So hey-ho, here we go, again! Next week, I'll do a gentle 10 miler.

Where are you going so hot, Emma? We're going to Malcesine, Northern Italy in August which will probably be too hot for me, also.

• Options

Is there a dedicated Dublin 2012 thread anywhere (Events??) can't seem to find one and I don't want to start one as I'm still hmming and haaing about doing Dublin this year...I did it 2008 and 2009 and a bunch of my friends are talking about doing it this year.

MrGFB and I are doing the Midlands HM in Portlaoise in August...and I figured it'd be good to keep the momentum going for another full marathon.

• Options

Is there anyway of transfering this thread to Events? Think it may be the best option to have it under that catagory - I'm sure there's plenty more people signed up for Dublin 2012 but are missing the forum?

Seems very quiet. image

• Options

I agree - there is normally a thread in events...why don't you start one Puffling image

• Options

Not very computer literate & have know idea what to do! Perhaps I'll leave that to you GFB & then you'll have to come to Dublin?!! image (no pressure - he he!)

• Options

GFB!  Lovely to hear from you and great to hear that you and MrGFB are still racing.  I know why you don't want to start the Dublin 2012 thread - the jinx on the thread starter not getting to the start! 

For other Dublin newbies I did Dublin in 2006 (can't believe that's 6 years ago) and unfortunately have been hit with one thing or another so haven't done more than halfs since.  However, ever hopeful.  All that's been said so far is true - not hilly, weather usually ok, not too hot or cold and support generally pretty good.  Hope you all enjoy it.

• Options

Oh sweet!!  NRG2!!  How lovely to hear from you again!! (I'm tempted to start the thread...if no one does within the week I will) image

• Options

Just a boing to say Puffling has started a thread for Dublin in Events

• Options

Cheers CSC - never thought to notify anyone here. 

Sorry!