Options

addicted now

Comments

• Options

well done ladies.

I'm on a high today, me and my new trainers went to the gym and I took 55secs of my time and only had to walk for 4 and half mins.  I am now at 14:10mins to do a mile.

Happy Monday image

• Options

lynne- i start my new job on the 9th of july, its the nhs, tons to do 1st. l i did my new distance this morning- 15 run 1 walk x2. it was fine, great, i am doing 3 miles in 39 minutes alomst the same as you tina. Lynne i'm not sure i could do what you described- it would confuse me to start and stop running.

samantha how long have you been running for? i would swear by a run/walk programme to build yourself up. this is my 7th week and i am not going to cut out the walking till next week

• Options

Hi caroline,

This is my 4th week.  My gym instructor has me running/walking for a mile, basically i stop when i reach a mile but i have to do it everytime at the same time or quicker....I have a 5k to do in Sept, 10k in Oct and half marathon next May.

Sam

• Options

you'll be fine. that all sounds like  great build up. i'm doing 10 miles end oct and i am worrying endlessly bout whether i'll be able to do it. you sound like you've got a far better strategy

• Options

Hi All

P/L I started running early because of the heat, and am by no means an early riser but I have to say the more I do the more I want to do, my times are'nt always fast and I go between 13pm (well once anyway lol) to 14.5pm dependending on my breathing

I can't actually just run I have to walk/run but I'm fine with that just so long as I do it, but obviously the quicker the better.

Samantha you seem to have it sorted, what with your instructor and plan worked out, I have devised my own plan (going by searching the net and copying a runner's version, and am really enjoying it now, it started off as a crazy idea and because we got a lot of sponsors felt i had to just do it but it's going alright and we're heading for our target goal of the half marathon Aug 5th scarrryyyyy!!!

Caroline good luck with the job and don't worry I wish I could have done a 10mile run but there wasn't any on for the time we're back in the uk, I'm sure you'll be fine by then.

S7 what does bump mean, I've seen it loads but haven't got a clue.

• Options

there is absolutely nothing wrong with running/walking- think of the majority of people who dont exercise at all. your streets ahead of them.

am recovering from my 1st running injury this morning- a very badly grazed knee and a swollen finger- i fell on the road, i have no ide how i did it.

hvave got my 1st half hour run on tue. maybe being terrified about that made me fall!!

• Options

Caroline........poor you, hope you heal well and be ok for tuesday. 

I'm gutted as I've not been feeling great and haven't had a run in two days, determined to go 2mrw even if it's just for a short run. It's something I think you worry about, getting injured, as it takes a while to build up your pace and length and it could so easily drop back, I hve to say I think we're all working really hard, and isn't it great when you suddenly feel like a runner!

• Options

it really is tina. i think as you say you;ll feel better if you even go out for a little run today. and yes it would be awful to do something really bad, i feel like a runner, but i feel this is a fragile status, my fitness is on a knife edge and if i didnt run for like a week or something it would all fall apart. like friday just gone, i had just finished a night shift, people were saying you could give the running a miss today, they didnt understnd that i had to do it.

let me know how you go

• Options

I also work nights and never run until I have had my sleep..thats probably why you fell love...sleep is VERY important and you will end up ill or injured if runnning when that tired...good effort though keep it up just get some sleep next time

• Options

i ran half an hour non stop today!!!imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

i am a runner now. and i could have another half a mile i reckon(worked out i did about 2.4 miles) am so happy ...

• Options

Caroline well done you!!! That is brilliant, I bet you never thought you'd be able to do it image

I have only done 19mins so far, but I've got a chest infrection at the moment, not well so haven't been able to run for a few days, gutted as I was started to build up my running time, can't wait to get back to it.

You made me laugh, isn't that feeling great when you actually feel like a runner, keep it up.

• Options
    Brilliant Caroline, well done! It's such a fantastic feeling. You'll be skipping for the rest of the day.

Tina - I hope you recover soon, and get back to your training.
  • Options

tina its a shocking thing isnt it, your ill, and the only thing you think about is getting back out there. the buzz was amazing. and the stupid thing was, roughly when i got past half way it got easier- do either  of you ladies experience this?

• Options

Yes to all of that, I'm so concerned that I'll lose what I've built up to and can't wait to get back out there, was hoping to go this morning but there was not way just yet.

Hubby did the run without me and came back this morning saying exactly the same, it's got to be psychological, you're on the home run and it doesn't seem so hard. Can you imagine the buzz after completing your first race, or have you all been there already?

• Options
    Hi, sorry, not been about here much the last couple of days. Had a day off yesterday but I swear it's easier being at work sometimes!

Tina, I hope you are feeling better. I have exactly the same fears about how quickly fitness can slide, but the best thing for illness is rest.

Caroline, a few of my runner friends have said that they find the first 2-3 miles bad then it all clicks into place. So maybe that's what you are experiencing?

I had a bad run this morning. A combination of new trainers giving me a sore bit, a new route that is much hillier than i remember, and tired legs from 3 Zumba classes in last 2 days absolutely killed me. I had to stop running after about 18 minutes as I hit a hill and my legs just wouldn't carry me anymore. I limped home so annoyed and disappointed. Some lessons to be learned I think!
  • Options

wow three zumba classes in two dys. surely that's your lesson there. i am sorry to hear you couldnt get round though. would you recommend zumba classes,they do appear to be the 'in thing' at the moment.

my run was fine this morning. isnt it funny how you go through so many different phases- i can't carry on, my calves hurt, my calves are great, i can go faster, i can go slower, my head about to come off- all in the space of half an hour!!!

• Options

P/L you sound like super woman, maybe you're pushing yourself too hard, I've done some zumba and it is very energetic, I'd have been happy with an 18min run after all that, with the new shoes as well, still if we didn't have the lows we wouldn't know what the highs were like and I'm sure they'll be plenty of those to come. I could do with some new trainers but am loath to try any at the moment.

Caroline yep you can live on the high of a good run for ages can't you, never thought I'd get so into it and am itching to get back to running, I'm feeling loads better but breathing not great at the mo, will try for a long walk tomorrow and maybe a bit of running to start me off.

Back to the uk in 4wks, I've booked a 2night camping trip for us before our grandson goes in for his major op (to help him walk, everything crossed) so we're all really looking forward to the short break, and it's now 7wks before the H/M so I really need to get back into keeping fit, but somehow I will cross that finishing line, feeling both excited and scared about the race.

• Options

My first run today in 9 days, not fast but so good to get back into it again, only managed 2.5 miles and did that in 35 mins but at least it's a start, just need to build back up now. Majorly hot here so running has to start at 5.30 in the morning, but actually it's lovely then, really nice and quite, just a few like minded people around and the sea is beautiful and so still, so overall I'm pretty happy.

• Options
    It sounds amazing Tina, you are making me very jealous!

I am glad you are feeling better and able to start running again. Your speed and time sound very much like mine, I did 2.5 miles yesterday in 35 minutes. It's my goal to increase my speed in a few weeks but the main thing is endurance.

Enjoy your day!
  • Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

I am going to totally ignore speed until I start to hit the distances I want to hit. Yesterday I managed my longest run to date at 7.1 miles but it was at a tortoise pace of 11:46 min/mi lol... I figure it's best to save the speed work until I have at least hit my weight target since running longer will help condition my legs and burn more calories. I heard going faster is very very tough on your legs.

• Options

sounds lovely tina. and yes amir i agree with you the main thing to do is increase the distance. and i'm on about 11.40 a mile as well!!

i got drunk at my dad's for fathers day yesterday. my run this morning was the worst by far. i had to actually stop because i didnt want to go to the toilet(and not a wee!!!) and threw up when i got back.

now what is my lesson here image

• Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

My run was fuelled by fathers day cup cakes and coke (non-diet - first time i have had that in AGES) lol

• Options

Well Caroline and Tortuga you two are running at much the same pace, which in my book is prettty good, 

Pink Lynne thanks and I am loads better, it's just my chest at the moment isn't great, but, this morning I did 4mls and had to walk quite a bit of it but I know it'll build up again and I really enjoyed it, especially the bit when I finished lol! 

Isn't it a great way though to start the day, have a good one everyone!!!

• Options
    Hi Tina, it's a lovely sunny day in Glasgow today, bet it's not as nice as where you are though!

I managed 4.6k this morning so getting closer to my 5k goal. I've been speaking to others who run and they all say there are days where they have to walk for a variety of reasons so I think we'll always have days where we have to stop. You are right that your fitness will return and probably very quickly.

Caroline - you made me laugh with your post, I can't even imagine the pain of running with a hangover! I feel sick sometimes even when I've not been drinking! Hope you have recovered now!
  • Options

Hi there,

Is there room for a little one? well, im not that little... far from it! Im VERY new to running... started a week ago today... have been out 6 days out of 7... last week I had to walk round my neighbourhood (about 2.5k ive discovered) and yesterday i managed to jog 90% (had to walk some... this few days of heat didnt agree with me)... I am building it up and can feel Im improving already! You all look like your doing fabulously and very inspiring! Anyone have any training advice on how to build it up?

Im lucky enough to live in the New Forest so I have plenty of gorgeous routes to go... wild horses included! Im originally from Buckinghamshire.

• Options

Hi Freckles

I'm also fairly new here, but everyone is freindly and it's good to share a bit of your running highs and lows, so welcome. If you jogged that much in just a week I'd say your doing really well, keep up the good work. I don't know about the others but I printed off a running schedule off the internet and have been going by that.

The new forest, lucky you, it's one of my favourite places, we used to go caravanning there alot, taking the dogs and doing all those lovely walks, are you anywhere near to Lyndhurst by any chance?

Day off for me today but back to it tomorrow, we've got a 8 mile to do saturday but needless to say I will probably walk half of it, still I'm getting there and feel I want to run more, defo addictive this running lark.

• Options
    Hi, it feels like forever since I've been on here, but it's probably only 2 days!

Welcome Freckles, thanks for joining us. You are doing really well but I know from reading other posts that a rest day is recommended to allow your muscles repair especially at beginners level. I am following the couch to 5k programme and it recommends only running 3 days a week.

Tina - glad you are feeling better now. 8 miles is great, your training is doing well. With the weather here in Scotland just now it makes me want to be somewhere hit right now like you!
  • Options

Morning!

Tina - It seems to be getting harder the more i train, perhaps that is because im going out too often but i cant help it... i enjoy it so much, maybe i need another sport to do on my running off-days! I actually do live near Lyndhurst... i live just on the border between Dorset and Hampshire in a village by the sea called New Milton... its about 15 minutes from Lyndhurst...

Pink_lynne... thank you for your lovely welcome... i think i need to find a good 5k programme and go out less...Ive just started going out alternate days so hopefully it'll improve image 

• Options

Pink Lynne - honestly it's been so hot here for June, i would happily have a couple of rainy days instead of you, but i wouldn't want it all the time, are we ever happy with the weather we get hhhmmmm.

Seriously guys, toilet issues, does anybody suffer with going for a run and then feeling that they really need to go (not wee), it seems  to be a problem with me and although I''m fine when I leave it seems I can't run for half an hour before the feeling starts. If anybody has any advise I'd be really grateful as it's really getting on my nerves and starting to ruin what could be enjoyable runs.  To be fair I think part of my problem is that I leave the house so early but don't really have much option at the moment.. Oh and Caroline it's not always cos I've had too much to drink, although I will admit I do enjoy a drink.