Options

PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

Comments

• Options

Barlos (sir) I do have a serious question.
    I would like to pump up my tyres on Sunday morning and have my track pump. But T1 is miles from the campsite or car. I was planning to take a bag of "day" stuff by boat to T1/swim start, officially dump it, and collect it at the end. BUT A TRACK PUMP? No supporters have chosen to come along and support. I think that they've been to too many marathons in the past.

2 Inner tubes? Are you planning for bad luck?

I spoke to the the campsite, they were quite keen on respecting the 1200 turnover point. Maybe you could squeak a bit earlier if they have had rain through and some caravanners have gone.

• Options

Blisters - I am driving over to t1 from home on Sunday morning and will have a track pump with me - so ask nicely and I I'll share image

• Options

Blisters my mrs will be there all day she will take anything you need image

• Options

Also anyone else getting very excited?!?!? Im bouncing off the walls in antcipation looking forward too the whole weekend! Gonna be a blast image

• Options

Good luck all!  I hope to see you all out on the course!  image

• Options

Thanks for the advice about the campsite, didnt think about that.

Blisters wrote (see)

Barlos (sir) I do have a serious question.
    I would like to pump up my tyres on Sunday morning and have my track pump. But T1 is miles from the campsite or car. I was planning to take a bag of "day" stuff by boat to T1/swim start, officially dump it, and collect it at the end. BUT A TRACK PUMP? No supporters have chosen to come along and support. I think that they've been to too many marathons in the past.

2 Inner tubes? Are you planning for bad luck?

I spoke to the the campsite, they were quite keen on respecting the 1200 turnover point. Maybe you could squeak a bit earlier if they have had rain through and some caravanners have gone.

There should be track pumps in transition provided by the event, but it can be a bit of a wait to use one.  I may take a chance and inflate my tyres to race pressure when I rack, or look for Fraggle (thanks for the offer).

Re spares, I always plan to be able to change two punctures, its chancing it a bit to just have one spare tube (ive had valves blow before) and two punctures in events.  Symes had 5 punctures at an IM a few years ago.

• Options

Thanks for the feedback chaps.

I'm still not sure about the 2nd tube: I'll look at where I can hide one. I normally carry one tube and a pack of instant stick on repair patches. I have fitted a brand new tyre on the bike as a precaution.

Track pump? Many offers of options, I was worried on how I'd be able to recognise people on the day. I suppose the yellow & black would help!

Meanwhile, I'm busy noshing lots of food, deliberately over-salted.

• Options

Sorry not to have had the courtesy to read any of the previous 2,105 messages, I just wanted to drop in an give a massive "ARRRR" to participating Pirates.  All the best for Sunday.  I hope this post at the very least serves to alleviate thirty seconds of peak tapering neurosis.  I look forward to reading all your race reports.

Bon courage.

• Options

I always carry 2  spare inner tubes......you can cope with that.especially as once i took the spare out and it had got a leak in it......image

• Options

and best of luck for all those at henley..I will be racing in Wales.........need to crack it image

• Options
    Cheers Seren - good luck to you too !
  • Options

Right, banana loaf is in he oven & pasta sauce for Saturday bubbling away!! Now need to go and finish my packing!! Heading down tomorrow!!

• Options

My wife is playing with lasagna and flapjack in the kitchen. I am slowly bouncing off the walls - this taper lark is doing my head in. I want to go and do something!!

Roll on tomorrow afternoon when the kids are home from school and we'll be heading to Henley and it'll all start to happen.

• Options

Little Sis - are you camping?

Cheggers - I'm planning to go tomorrow too. I'll give you a shout when I get there.

Seren - Thanks and good luck to you to.

Robbie - Thanks for the thoughts.

Barley - They still have quite a bit of room for Friday in the field with no elec and they said they'd let me in at 10 Saturday morning.

Blister - Raf offered to carry a track pump too.

• Options

I'm in my mother's caravan on the Caravan Club site, next door to the main camp site!  image She's already there and on the lookout for Pirates! image

• Options

Blisters, I always kept a new inner tube taped (with some electrical tape) to the frame between the seat post and the rear brakes.  It's out of the way and still 'aero'!!  

• Options

Little Sis - I'll be on the CC site. As long as all goes to plan, we'll get there at about 5 tomorrow. Silver motorhome!

• Options

Hopefully I'll be there by 4!

• Options

The loud mouth twat (me) will be there on Saturday.... Il have my pirate cap on.... Or my pointy not sure which one makes me look more stupid image

• Options

I'm staying at T1 - well in Business Centre so can take track pump as car should be within the grounds and easy to get if required by any one.

That's the upside, the downside is I will have to get the boat back after the race with bike. Says it takes 55 minutes its only a few miles ???

• Options

So, are we meeting up on saturday before the race briefing then ? 12.30 ?

I'm going over to register tomorrow, so I can then spend extra time faffing about with bags at home imageimage

not sure about bouncing off the walls, but i have a mix of excitement and sheer terror at the moment image

• Options

Taper madness setting in ??

Run - 30 minutes. That’s it training & taper complete. Next stop river Thames.
    So far this week to fill in time I've :
    Cleaned & applied lube to bike. 
    Had go faster haircut. 
    Sterilised all water bottles eeen though they will be thrown mould not good 
    Completed race plan sheets
    Planned & arranged with my friend who's also racing the journey, registration, briefing and racking times for Saturday
    Booked evening meal for night before race 
    Checked hotel confirmation 
    Cleaned fish tank, lost wedding ring in gravel. 
    Found wedding ring & bought some bright new fish additions. 
    Washed piarte race kit.
    Laid kit out on spare bed for all weathers - forecast keeps changing.
    Bought extra gels, flapjack & maltloaf.
    Tried not to eat too much. Extra protein.
    Had last massage.
    Can feel a niggle in my hamstring - or is it just in my head ?? 
    Holding off taper madness so far....  Forgoten anything important ? image oh the madness of the taper!

• Options

I must try not to drink too much at the social tomorrow night. Although I will still have a day to recover so won't be at quite so much at risk of doing a Golden Boots. 

• Options

Res stripe..... That's some serious organising.... I haven't really organised anything... That's for Saturday night..... oh I'm doing a park run on Saturday.... Does that count? As usual I'm not over thinking anything... Or really thinking at all.... I think my wetsuit is around here somewhere!

• Options

Evening all !  Great to hear everyone is well.

Im heading up to Henley tomorow, be great to meet up with anyone who is around.

3 more sleeps !

• Options

Good luck all, have a cracking time image

• Options

Good.

It's not just me then.

Packing list keeps growing. Pile of stuff in the spare bedroom keeps growing. I'm massively over-thinking this event, and transitions are CLEARLY going to take me forever.

Bike retrieved from the menders, and they admitted that they put the LH crank on "tight, but hand tight" last time, and this time they used a torque wrench. "It was a fair bit tighter than we were used to!" That rather explained a lot. Shimano reckon to re-check the tightness after 60 miles. I think 112.

17 page instruction manual read. Re-read. Read once more until I can't actually make sense of the words.

I am in danger of asking a stupid question again. I shall bite my lip. I will however be talking utter gibberish tomorrow and Saturday, so please excuse me if I sound like my 13 year old daughter, aka verbal diarrhoea.

• Options

GO PIRATES..

have a cracking race.  Transition is to be enjoyed Blisters - its not unknown for some to queue for toilets and do all sorts of other stuff in transition.  I was charged rent at T1 during IMCH in 09 for being there so long! image

• Options
    Red Stripe wrote (see)

That's the upside, the downside is I will have to get the boat back after the race with bike. Says it takes 55 minutes its only a few miles ???

You could always try riding it back RS!!!  image