Options

PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

Comments

• Options
    Blisters wrote (see)

At least I've got a brand new pair of trainers for the big day.

Can I ask a question....?

Mrs Brooko bought me a nice new pair of trainers today.  They are the same brand and style I have used for a couple of years, just a a different colour (black & yellow!).

Is Sunday too soon to wear them ?

Am wary of "nothing new on race day" and the traditional view that they need "wearing in" but don't want to upset the wife and do quite like the new colour !!

• Options

(Sensible head on)

Brooko. Take your new trainers, and wear them after the race. You wouldn't want to get them dirty too soon. Wife will understand.

I have no intention of wearing my newby doos until after the race. Not even to try them on for size. I've learned not to wear new socks, shorts, vest, or even new shoe laces. Learned the hard way. Some nice comfy sandals are all that my feet would care for.

• Options

Brooko - bad bad bad no bad stop bad.... I see blisters in your future..... And not a bald 40 year old dude either..... Do what actual blisters says and wear after the race to mooch about in and for winter running too bed them in

• Options

Thanks guys, I thought you would say that but great to have it confirmed.image.

Packing this morning, so no more faffing !!

• Options

Something new on race day is the pirate way though!

• Options

I wouldnt advise wearing new trainers, they maybe ok but its one thing that could go wrong which is in your power to avoid.

Overthinking isnt bad, it shows youre planning, making contingencies for what might happen.  What you dont want to do is worry about whats outside your control.

Ive had another look at the forecast and its looking like a pretty cool start to the day, deff wearing a trisuit and armwarmers, may now pull on a cycling top or gillit (still not decided, will see how cool it is early doors tomorrow)  I will make up my mind and stick to it before T1 you can waste a lot of time and mental energy thinking about just little things like that.

Keep the questions coming.

• Options

'spose it's too late to order a Pirate cycling top from Schmunks now....

BTW Whiz, I thank you for these kind words. " And not a bald 40 year old dude". You've clearly not checked out my age category.image

Right. Still pratting around. At least I got a good sleep last night. (Oooops, just got an email from the Boss). Might have to do some work.

• Options

If its not already been said on the thread a good idea for packing your transition bags is for T1, mentally dress a cyclist, youre going out for a 112 bike, what do you need?  The same for a runner for the T2 bag.  Dress a swimmer and put that in your dry clothes bag, what you wear to the start become your dry clothes when you change.

This is me, dont worry if youre different, you have to do what works for you, and id advise against changing plans last minute unless you realise what youd intended wont work.

Swim:
    Wetsuit
    Goggles
    Swimcap
    Bodyclide
    Goggle Demister
    Trisuit
    Watch
    Timing chip
    1 saltsick tablet and gel for 30 mins before the start
    bottle of drink

I puy my watch and timing chip around the shoulder strap of my trisuit the night before so I dont forget them.

Bike
    BIKE RACKED - In T1 with helmet strapped to handlebars, spare tubes taped to frame, bottles in cages (SIS powder in bottle x5 strength goo so I can decant into speedfill and mix with water at feedstations). 

BIKE BAG - Helmet, number belt, bike gloves, sunglasses, bike shoes, arm warmers, gillet(tbc), socks (pre-talced),
    Snaplock bag/fandwich type bag (this will go into my trisuit back pocket in T1) with 2xCo2, tyre levers and 1/3 maltloaf, bankcoin bag with 4/5 saltstick tablets

NUTRITION/DRY CLOTHES BAG - together with my swim stuff, ill carry into T1 a 2 litre bottle of water to fill bike bottle and Speedfill, ill also have a cornish pasty or similar to tape to tribars (nothing like some decent food while you ease into the bike) - 12 gels to tape to bike frame/tribars (this time im thinking I may mix them with water into a bottle).  must not forget TAPE

Run
    Trainers
    Vaseline
    1 gel with 2 Saltstick tablets taped to it
    Cap

IThink thats about it,  may have forgotten something as typed the above pretty quick.

I'll fill 3 bags with the above before I come to Henely so no faffing to sort transition bags when im there.

• Options

Blisters - what size cycle top? 

• Options

Good luck Henleyans!!! I hope the weather fairies shine upon you image

race well and don't be shit image

• Options

Seriously Schmunks?
    I'm averagely skinny, so that's a Large (!)

If you've got any car stickers I'll buy a couple of those too.
    (Although I do know that this isn't an official contact method, and I'm at risk of diverting the thread, or worse still upsetting the Organised One).
    She's lovely isn't she?

• Options

Just popping in to wish everyone all the very best of luck this weekend image  Have a cracking time, and give it your all.  Don't be shit!!

• Options

Blisters - you have PM 

• Options
    Blisters wrote (see)

She's lovely isn't she?

imageimage

• Options

Just packed car....not sure if I am doing a triathlon this weekend, or going away on an expedition !  Car very full.  Hoping to get to Henley for about 3pm.  Am dropping bike off quick check of everthing and then hope to register.  Will then check in and pack transition bags.

Good advice Barlos about prep / packing bags.  Whilst I have too much in the car, I will be decisive !

• Options
    Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)
    Blisters wrote (see)

She's lovely isn't she?

imageimage

It's good to know someone sees the good in me, even if you don't, Barlos image

• Options

Fair amount of rain in the locality. That river could be flowing fast on Sundayimage

• Options

I was completely calm and blissfully unaware of my impending doom until I started packing my stuff this morning. Now I'm bricking it!

• Options

image Guys I'm going to be near you on sunday but doult I will be able to get there and cheer you on that might change if it does I'm be there with some donut's. Just wanted to wish you all good luck and a dry bike.image

Just remember don't be sh*t.image

• Options

Fantastic support - thanks !

for those travelling please take care and time.  I am in way and roads very busy and lots of bumps

be safe and patient !

• Options

Helmet in bike bag or bring in morning and put on bike?

• Options

Right, car to pack then I'm off!! See you all later!!

• Options
    IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Fair amount of rain in the locality. That river could be flowing fast on Sundayimage

Bog off Cat!! image

• Options
    WhizKid wrote (see)
    Brooko wrote (see)

Full Distance

Fraggle - No 222 - Wave 1
    Barley - 388 - Wave 2
    Scuba Trooper - Number 410 - Wave 2
    Cheggars - Number 443 - Wave 2
    Brooko - Number 447 - Wave 2
    whiz - number 78 - wave 1

Half

Is this the most up-to-date list? No-one 'fessing up race numbers for the half?

• Options

Schmunks - there are more than that, I suspect they're too busy wibbling to update the list image

Righty, I'm popping over to Henley to register and have a shufty about, will report back later

(and it hasn't been raining *that* much here, so fear ye not about the swim)

• Options

Do you want me to pull together a better list?
    This is gathered from all those who are listed as PSOF on Challenge Henley Entry List, with names allocated where they have admitted to it in public. I've only done the Full Iron.

78     Whiz Kid
    154   Gladys
    157   ??
    159  Swiss Bobby
    160  Cougie
    163  ??
    198  Blisters
    218  Lil Sis
    221  Ultimate Badger
    222  Fraggle
    231  ??
    381  Rafiki
    388  Barlos
    408  ??
    410  Scuba Trooper
    443  Challenge Cheggers
    447  Brooko

Clearly, this is a public open forum, if you don't want to be embarrassed, don't wear bright yellow lycra and declare war on the East India Company.

• Options

Thanks for that list; will help with supporting 

Have you read your PM 

• Options

Sorry List Fairy.

(The Engineer is one of the missing names)

I tried to text you but I've replied by PM.

• Options

Not sure how accurate/up-to-date the lists on the challenge website are.  It has 2 people in both the full and the half, as well as someone down for the half that is no longer doing it image