Options

Comrades 2013

Comments

• Options

Possum Hopper - and September 1st entry date.

I'm in for next year for my Comrades debut, so just mentally commit to the race this year and the rest will follow (sympathies on the achilles front as I'm slowly recovering from niggles on this front too) image

I trawled the threads for the last couple of years and the experience of those running varies greatly (from a couple of marathons, like me, to uber experienced ultra marathoners).

• Options

Wow...thanks guys...brilliant stuff there and lots to think about. I will be a woman travelling alone - possibly - so also have that to factor in. My other half is a non runner but he is just the most fantastic support person ever....he does however draw the line at an 11 hour flight to SA to wait hours for me to finish a run....lol.  image

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

PH, this year just gone Carmen & myself went out by ourselves and last year Carmen & SloTwin (my OH, like SlowDuck's, went out once, and then said, "Hey, isn't it streamed on the internet?... ").

Basically the journey is

1. fly out (planes, airports, nothing to worry about there)
    2. shuttle from Durban airport to hotel or hostel (again no worries)
    3. getting from accommodation to Expo for a) Expo b) start of coach tour - walk if close enough (e.g. Hilton or City Lodge) or taxi (about a fiver) from hostel. Hostel/ hotels will call a taxi for you if you ask  (I even got a cafe to do this for me by looking pathetic and asking what the country code for SA was) which is good if, like me, you are unable to muster up the correct pronounciation of where you are going!
    4. Getting from Expo back - as above except the chap (doorman?) outside the Hilton will whistle up a taxi and the Hilton is next door to the Expo
    5. Getting to start of race in Durban. Where you are staying (&/or the other runners staying there) will advise but if needed, yes you can book a taxi to take you to the start at oh-my-god-o'clock in the morning. Our hostel was full of runners and so they just totted up the heads and rang up the taxi company and said, "3 cabs please at 1:30 to take people to where the coaches for PMB leave" (was it really 1:30 Ode? Or does my memory deceive?).
    6. Bus from PMB back to Durban - buy tickets at Expo - I hear it smells interesting! LOL
    7. And I *think* that arrives close enough to the Hilton for (see 4) to then apply
    8. Shuttle bus can be booked to pick you up from accommodation to take you to airport (this, I rang up and did myself, go me!, but the hostel would have helped out otherwise I'm sure).
    9. The hotel I stayed in last year (Durban City Lodge) and the hostel this year (Gibela's) were both secure. The hostel showed me on a map where things were and said where it was OK to walk at what times, so I went out shopping in various directions for food and a SIM card, and went down to the beach to meet people on Monday.

Basically although I am a timid traveller and like places like... Japan... the Netherlands... Switzerland.... you get the drift - the trip for Comrades need not be anything a lone lady has to worry about.

• Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

Fido ... I get this sneaking suspicion that all this time on the Forum means number 3 is on the cards!!??  image  and I dont mean third dog.

Welcome to the newbies ... wont repeat what the others have put on here, except its a fantastic experience and extremely addictive.

In Baku at the moment, different but have managed to get out running a few times but its very hot.

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

Peter: Not this year. That way you end up on the green number trail, and eight years is a significant proportion of the rest of my life! But perhaps coming back for one of the big-number anniversary runs though.

• Options

Slow comeback from dodgy knee continues. Right now running next year seems a long way off seeing as the knee seems to not want to go further than about 14 miles. Still, I am trying to convince myself that running at 7:45 a mile for 6 hours and 59 minutes up a lot of hills is a realistic ambition for 2013. 

Running in this heat has been quite a change. I have even managed to scare the locals by running without a shirt for the last few days. 

• Options

Who's had their badges in the post yet? I recall one of us... haven't had mine & was wondering whether to pipe up yet.

• Options
    JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Nope nothing for me. As a first timer supposedly should get one automatically but I did send an email too. Might have to send another........
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

No I haven't had mine.  I'm waiting for the results booklet and it is supposed to be included in that.  I haven't sent any specific email

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Got mine a couple of weeks back although it was just an envelope with a badge in it, no results booklet. I sent an email about 10 days after the race when i got back. But was under the impression that novices would get one sent automatically. Hope you all receive your well deserved badges very soon.

• Options

Nada for me too...

Do you think they are holding back on printing the result booklet until the whole postive test issues are resolved?...  I could potentially be two places higher...image

• Options

TWO places? Were there 2 busts?

• Options
    Yes, 2 positives. I haven't got mine either and I'm a novice....
  • Options

Hi all, I received mine in the post about 6 weeks ago. It arrived in an envelope sans results. Admittedly, I did send a smarmy email complimenting them on the race and followed up with a request for the badge.

On a different tack, I have entered the Chester Marathon, perhaps the first step to B2B. 

• Options
    Hans - I'm doing Chester too. Similar plan. I will try the smarmy email route. I did suggest our Ambassador made a group representation on the basis that anyone stupid enough to spend at least ??1k doing a race would also be stupid enough to really want their little badge, but I guess that fell on deaf ears !
  • Options

Kevin - Slow Duck is our true Ambassador, the other is some phoney, so you sent your request to the wrong person.

• Options

Like Hans C I got a badge early July after an email request.

• Options
    Stevie... Hmmm. They should race for it in 2013, but one of them has cheated by practicing too much.
  • Options
    Hey Kevin, see you at Chester. Look for a guy with the comrades hat for a natter. Think you will be faster than I am.

Just received my finishers certificate ordered through photos. Should be gettIng our results soon.
  • Options

Anyone been going down to see the free Olympics events (racewalking/tri/road cycling/marathon) then?

• Options

Fido - no, unfortunately... but I have tickets for Athletics Friday so looking forward to that !!

Hans - not sure what I'll do yet, but if there is a pacer for 3.30 I might try and hang on to that. I don't think there are pacers, and I have no idea whether I have actually got any quicker, so that might be unrealistic. There are a lot of ifs and buts to deal with before I decide on a B2B, and I would like one of them to be eventually going sub 3.20, on the theory that might give me a faint hope of a Bill Rowan. I don't like running in hats, so I'll let you know my dress code nearer the time !

• Options

Kevin- think I am aiming closer to the 3.45-4h mark, not sure if I have enough speed in the legs yet. Like yourself I wanted a solid seeding that could be improved upon once I have taken the final B2B decision. 

Unfortunately with my smooth head, a hat is a good idea to prevent sunburn/ wind chafe image (smiley face looks a little like me)

• Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

Fido, I was a volunteer in the Velodrome and saw most of the cycling .. incredible experience!

• Options

One of my clubmates was doing backup timing at the marathon... "I had that Lornah Kiplagat in the back of my tent" ... sadly he forgot to give her a membership application form image

• Options

Kevin - They could have a race, but only one of them ever shows up.

Peter - You got the best Olympic job, that's for sure. I was there for the Mens Team Pursuit & Women's Keirin, it was amazing. Mind you the athletic's on Saturday night was awesome as well, Mo was superb! 

• Options

I've been going Olympic crazy - I've spectated at 6 events so far... women's football (Japan v Canada), men's road race, women's road race, men's football (Japan v Egypt), Beach volleyball and Athletics (inlcuding 9.63 seconds of complete and utter pandomonium...image)...

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

I am going to the athletics tomorrow night. Just hope Mo can do the business again in the 5k, cant wait.image

• Options

Hi there...I'm back again with more silly questions ! Did my 32nd marathon yesterday - Salisbury 5.4.3.2.1. Have been carrying an injury - when aren't we ?? - and wanted to get it done to get back out there. Managed a sub 5 which was pleased with....so...am moving ever more towards C next year.

Have been sussing out finances etc and looking at flight costs. BA is my preferred choice but am sure there must be a cheaper way. So guys, what airlines are out there that fly on Weds before and get you there as quickly as possible and as cheaply as poss....thx for now.  image

• Options

Possum Hopper - quickest options are Virgin, BA and SAA who fly direct to Jo'burg where you can get a connecting flight to Durban - so only one stop.  Another option with only one stop is with Emirates via Dubai - but you end up with two long flights so it will take longer.  Finally you have the two stop options (one in Europe and one at Jo'burg) with European carriers which take you to their flight hub e.g. Madrid with Iberia, Paris with Air France, Zurich with Swiss, Frankfurt with Lufthansa etc.

For prices, it's a matter of keeping an eye out for special offers which turn up fairly frequently and booking when you think you've found the best price for your option...

For Jo'burg stops I think it can be cheaper to buy the Jo'burg-Durban leg separately BUT that means that if your incoming flight gets delayed and you miss your flight you will have to pay for another flight. If it is booked as one itenerary, it will cost more but the airline will be obliged to book you onto another connecting flight for free...  

• Options

Once again - thanks for all that and Fido2Dogs - just saw your post with all the great info re woman travelling alone. Many thanks for that...great stuff.

I have started loooking at flights.....mad really but I just know that once something like this has even entered my brain, I am going to go all out to do it. My other half said the same at the weekend and he has even offered to 'sub' me the money to get out there and do it - even offered to pack !! Hmm, wonder if he is trying to tell me something.image

Apart from on here, it will not be something I will tell anyone about until next April....that will be a right big old challenge in itself !! I was accused yesterday of just 'tripping' out the marathons like it was no bother and should do something else instead such as an Ironman or tri. What a sauce....running marathons is BLOODY hard !!  However, I refrained from blurting out my new crazy idea so all good so far. image

I am going to keep plodding and racking up marathons - leggies and bits allowing - but will now be using them as training runs.

I am doing Thames Meander in two weeks, New Forest, Abingdon, Beachy Head, possibly A20 Track, maybe Bacchaus and then to round off the year - all being well - Portsmouth Coastal which I have done for the past two years....but hey...all training runs now so have taken on a whole new dimension.image