Options

Marathon moans

Comments

• Options
    No, but we sometimes wish other people would!

=8^D

Peter
  • Options
    Peter

You do get Beef tomatoes :o)
  • Options
    I wish I could eat my words!

Peter
  • Options
    Today I was asked... you still going on sunday then (Loch Ness) .. I replied yes ..
    take it we wont see you monday then... eh ?? well you'll still be running..
    ha bloody ha, bunch of comedians ...
  • Options
    Running the week after the London Marathon ... every 'comedian' you pass shouts: "London's that way mate!". Bloomin' hilarious.

And I was asked more than once before my last/only London marathon: "What costume are you going to wear?" As if I'd run 60 miles a week and ruin my social life to dress up as a Rhino!
  • Options
    HEY Nothing wrong with large grey animals!!
  • Options
    And Im sick of the disbelieving looks i got when telling people about the marathon!!
    It IS possible at 12 stones
  • Options
    I ran Sheffield last year 2 weeks after the London and I got the `what costume?...' and `did you see the bloke who did it in the diving suit?...'. Whilst I admire his charity work what other premier event in a sport suffers from more people being aware of how badly/slowly it can be done than the acheivements of Paula and Khannouchi?

Do people do the Tour de France on a BMX? Or the British Open Golf Championship using a snooker cue?

People seem to find it hard to grasp that

a. There are other marathons than London (`but the marathon was last week')

b. People run marathons to try and get a better time than before

c. Whilst there is some pain involved the benefits far outweigh this.

Rant over
    I'll go for a lie down and plan next week's runs.
  • Options
    Benz, What do you mean 'it is possible at 12 stones'? I haven't seen the right side of 12 stone for twenty years. In fact I did my first three marathons the wrong side of 13.5 stone and got the respectable (if not exactly world beating) times of around 3.50. Aiming for the Dublin in five weeks time weighing in at a slimline 12.9 and aiming for 3.30 (well alright - 3.40 might be more realistic)
  • Options
    Benz
    Its possible at 15 stones.
    And so is running FLM
    ( ok chaps .. send the email)
    I hated it when they said.. a bloke your age and size? Why ?and I said 'for a £1 BET'
    and they wet themselves.
    Cos I had no answer.
    Theyre stupid, but I can lose weight!!!!!!
  • Options
    Too bloody right
    You should have asked for £100 pounds for each stone
    Now theres an idea--
  • Options
    You should go down my gym
    Oh how they laughed when i mentioned the marathon
    Hope they saw the results in the local paper
    Apparently only980 finished out of 1500
  • Options
    A neighbour of mine has the annoying habit of asking if I won after each Marathon, despite my explaining that although I had the Kenyans worried for the first 30 yards, I eventually came in over two hours behind the winner. I know it's not sinking in when I get the response "Oh well, maybe next time!"

Does anyone else get people questioning the point of running Marathons (and other races) when you know you have no chance of winning? I try to explain, but non-runners just don't seem to get it.
  • Options
    Cyclists don't get it either. I get asked by them: "What's the point of entering if you know you're not going to win?"
  • Options
    But you do win - you win your own personal race :o)
  • Options
    I hate it when the St John's ambulance man asks if I think I should stop now, or the joker driving the ambulance at the back tries to overtake.
  • Options
    Spot on Will, such a simple concept, but apparently so difficult for non-runners to grasp!
  • Options
    Wonder if the marshals get fed up with runners shouting "Are we nearly there yet?" on the way past. Must sound about as tedious as the "Here comes Dracula" comments that patients make when having blood taken, and the knackered junior doc or phlebotomist has to laugh EVERY time.

I got quite irritated by all the cheery "Not far to go now" type comments from the audience in the last eight miles or so at London. If I'd had an ounce of spare energy, I'd have told them that I still had further to run than they'd walked in the past f****** month, or how's about YOU run and I stand on teh sidelines drinking a pint and making smartass comments. But afterwards I was so-o-o-o-o glad they had been there and waited for me.

My practice partner says he can't understand doing a sport if you know you can't be the best at it. I suppose that is why he has given up football and cricket and now sticks to, er, crown green bowls. At 40!
  • Options
    V-rap,

Someone shouted the "not far to go now" comment to me at London too.

At 3 miles

B******
  • Options
    I don't mind being told how far there is to go, just as long as it's accurate. I appreciate being informed of where I am on the course, but I do not appreciate being told I'm a mile from the finish when it is in fact nearer two!
  • Options
    For me the worst thing right now (5 weeks till NY marathon) from non-runners is this:
    "So you'll do it in what, 2 or 3 hours?"
    How annoying? (especailly becasue i'll be luck to finish under 5!)
    The point is I'm doing a marathon - that in itself is huge, but apparently not for these non-runners obsessed by time!
  • Options
    Also a touch annoying: "you're doing really well" (at 3 miles of 13/26), "you're looking great" (very unlikely after the first mile). But I have educated my children into the 'winning your own race' idea which is why my 9 yo daughter has 5 race for life medals of her own. Mind you, in the first one she probably did win the 5yo race as there probably wasn't another one running.
  • Options
    I'm always being told by slightly more knowledgebale spectators to 'dig in there'. I always wondered what it meant ... took me ages to realise it meant: "there's a runner from another club on your a**e so speed up or there'll be trouble"
  • Options
    During one London marathon, at around 4 miles, I heard one spectator comment that "they're not going very fast are they?" which is a pretty stupid comment considering the small matter of the 22 miles yet to be covered.

On "new runners" point about others perception of your time, I don't think many non-runners have any idea of what is a "good" time. If you say you did 2 1/2 hours you'll get a "Hmm, that's good!" Do 5 1/2 and it's "Hmm, that's good!" The truth is that they haven't a clue if the time is good or otherwise!
  • Options
    To be fair to those unfortunate spectators at the 4mile mark of the London Marathon, they'd probably been there to see the elites whizz past. Naturally everyone else seems slow in comparison!
  • Options
    That is very true. While I find some spectator comments amusing, I do not criticise them too much as they are mostly excellent in their support of the runners and generally help more than hinder, and if they're not runners themselves there's no reason they should know much about the sport.
  • Options
    sorry to interrupt but how did you go in Bristol, New Runner?
  • Options
    I'd forgotten about the "did you see the bloke in the diving suit?" comment. £1 for every time I was asked that would have helped the sponsorship no end!
  • Options
    Its even possible to run the marathon at 13 plus stone. I haven't done a marathon this year but completed the Highland Cross - 20 mile run through Glen Affric then 30 mile cycle although I did do the run as a walk as you had that option. Took me a while but I finished in 8hrs 7mins so anything is possible.