Options

Marathon moans

124»

Comments

• Options
    Daisy

Next time one of those show off kids sprints along side you to impress his mates, increase your pace slightly and challenge him to stay with you for the next few miles. The ribbing he'll get from his mates is worth the pain!!

A couple of comments that I've had which are a bit less derogatory are "I cound't run up a flag/run a bath/run for a bus.

In this years FLM I had to stop at 25ish miles with a stitch and heard a woman say "awr he's got the stitch, poor love" it made me determined to start running again which I did to a huge roar of encouragement from the crowd around her. It kept me going through to the finish.
  • Options
    Oops don't know what happened there!!
  • Options
    In 99 I had sudden cramp in my calf just as I rounded Buck palace, the crowd were awsome, a big OOOHHHH! erupted folllowed by lots of encouragement as I worked on it, I start to run and a massive cheer erupts, but the calf cramped again to an even bigger OOOHHHHH! from the crowd! Another runner decided to help me up, I told him I was fine and not to worry but he was having none of it, it helped the cramp eased and we both ran in to massive applause. I did consider milking it the following year but seeing the clock as I rounded the bend, well I had to go for the line, but I will never forget that moment in 99 it just was something else.
    I did try to find out who the runner who helped me was, I was unable to see him in the photo's. But thanks.
  • Options
    I had a great comment recently (whilst begging for sponsorship from work colleagues for RH marathon);

"How far is a marathon?" (answered of course)
    "Oh, I thought a marathon was another type of distance." (no response available from me!).

I've also stopped boasting to my family about how healthy I am because I have a low resting heart rate (about 42-45 a min), as they want to send me to the hospital because 'you'll need a pacemaker in later life'. Mmmm great encouragement, thanks!

What a way to go!
  • Options
    oh god, ifmonly
    I couldnt have run ,wahtever at 21 miles, crowd or not
  • Options
    just spoke to a friend after marathon on sunday.....she first asked my time, then whether it was a full marathon or a half....faith or what?? .....then "how far is that anyway"....then "is that like the great north run i saw on tv?" ...i said something about it being 2 of them....then gave up...
  • Options
    Ill tell you what really annoys me is when people ask me "are you training for a marathon"
    "NO"
    "oh, you just jog to keep fit"
    "aaaaaaaargh"
    its like no other running event exists.
  • Options
    The distance question tends to crop up before every Marathon. I often get asked "How long is this one?" to which "the same as all the others" seems an appropriate response. It's surprising how many people think Marathons vary in distance!
  • Options

Had an odd one the other night: I was out running, and saw a guy with a white stick, with his arm being held by another guy. Obviously, one was blind and the other was his companion. They moved to one side to let me past, at which point the guy with the stick piped up with "You're doing great - keep it up". "Thanks," I squeaked (the best I could manage), but wondered how he could tell. It took me a while to realise that the guy with the stick was just holding it for the other guy.

• Options
    What about the gleeful chant from several colleagues when you get a cold "oooh I thought running was meant to be good for you, can't be that fit"!!!!!
  • Options
    What about people that say they’d love to train but don’t have time to....

.... but can recite line for line every program that was on TV the night before
  • Options
    I think the best one's I've had are "Marathons aren't good for you" and "women aren't designed to run marathons, it's too long"

both by people who have never even ran for a bus!
  • Options
    Not long after I started running I decided to enter the FLM so went to a local sports shop to buy some 'proper shoes' I said to the sales assistant "I want some trainers to run the marathon" I was met with a question..... "How far is that?" needless to say I went else where.
  • Options
    My boss used to say I was mad and he kept asking me when was I going to give up. I just kept saying never and guess what - last year he ran the London Marathon. Whats the saying 'if you can't beat 'em join 'em'