Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Hello Richard! Good luck with your 10k on Sunday.

McF whoops. Good luck tomorrow.

Hi TheDan, how's training?

DT - 20@MP plus 15 sounds like a bit of a beast. How far is that out from race day?

• Options

Hi Richard - glad to hear all is going well.  Tempted though I am by the prospect of finishing last in a 1500m race; travel costs and 24hr flights with young children mean that on this occasion I'll probably decline.

Tommy - can you elaborate on your rogue gerkin story?  I'm picturing a single gerkin being passed around and nibbled by a group of marathoners before being carelessly discarded beneath your feet. 

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I am doing I this Sunday at the Gloucs 20. Its two weeks early but I had to do when race is. Plus I've done 20 plus 30 twice. Doing it now then following it up with a 20 plus 30 in 3 weeks should allow solid recovery whilst retaining endurance.

Nice one, Mcf!!

Hello, Richard and The Dan.
  • Options

Good planning re that 20 DT. Would you tackle it on your own?

Lou, I had the same thoughts re the gherkin. I was going to ask for clarification but I realised I liked the single gherkin scenario and didn't want to find out that it wasn't true. And now you've put that at risk.

• Options
    Yes, Charlie, we have a bit of a pickle on our hands here.
  • Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Lol.  Thank you everyone, I've just read the last page and been highly amused. 

In a semi-related matter, I learned this week that cats are really scared of cucumbers.

Been busy working and/or sulking for a while so not been keeping up.  Had a medication change fairly recently that is generally good news but also mucked things up a bit physically while I got used to it, so speedy stuff was off for a while, then I did a big mileage week and a couple of really tough runs and I think made myself ill, as spent most of Sunday night and Monday being sick (but not roaring).  Anyway, loads better now and looking forward to an 18 miler image

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

PS, McF, is the hip any better, despite not being physio-ed?

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sounds messy, Madbee. Glad you have adapted now!

I have some confusion for Sunday. As I am not racing and treating it as a glorified training, if I wear racing clothes I might fool myself into thinking it's a race. Plus I might get cold.

Should I just wear what I would wear for a training run, being a long sleeve tech top?
  • Options

Personally DT I would wear a short sleeved tech top as it will be 5 degrees Sunday AM and I would rather be slightly too cool than slightly too warm. But skip the fashion jumper because it isn't worth sacrificing one of those for a glorified training run.

P.S. MadBee sorry to hear of your illness. The more I run the more I'm wary of big mileage weeks.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    lou Diamonds wrote (see)

Tommy - can you elaborate on your rogue gerkin story?  I'm picturing a single gerkin being passed around and nibbled by a group of marathoners before being carelessly discarded beneath your feet. 

That is exactly what happened.

• Options

Hello all.

Still not much running here recently.

Have been keeping tabs on some more excellent performances though, with the Cov 3 all turning in cracking runs the other week, Charlie also pulling out a 5m PB, and Lit putting in a very good showing at the Scots XC before getting back on the prize winning trail last week.

Liking that rep progression, Skinny and I'm sure you'll be flying again soon, Muddy.

'Ello to Madbee (hope you've turned a corner now) and Richard - thanks for the heads up, sounds great, and I am looking at a possible international competition next year, but it would be slightly closer to home - European Vets T&F Champs in Denmark.

I need to turn a corner very soon if I'm going to maintain such lofty ambitions however as I just seem to lurch from one issue to the next at the moment, and am now 3 months without anything like proper training.

As Tommy mentioned, although I got round the Nationals without aggravating the previous injury, I did struggle and initially just thought the soreness (during and after) was down to being hopelessly out of condition. Found I'd got a ligament strain however (likely one of those stray turnips) when I first had a trot out 3 days later, and hobbled home after 2 miles. Was much improved a couple of days later, and had plans for a decent weekend's running before the nasiest bout of lurgy I've had for a couple of years struck me down for another week. Grrr.

Still not right now, but did get out for a progressive 5+ miles last night, felt no aches, pains or strains and really quite enjoyed it despite the lurgy and being heavier than I have been since autumn 2012. Looking to get some decent running in this weekend, and hopefully the comeback FINALLY starts here. Think I'll have to get a parkrun in at some point to prove I'm worth a place alongside Tommy in the final team that we take to Brum for the relays, we've got some rapid improvers at the club.

P.S. Did someone mention cats and cucumbers? Great fun. http://i.imgur.com/4v9ftED.gif

literatin wrote (see)

It's lovely weather in Scotland today. But you wouldn't want to trip over a turnip here, because it would be a swede.

I'd have thought it more likely that you of all people would be tripping over a Danish rather than a swede.

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Glad you're back feeling good, Madbee. Your run looked lush!

Welcome back, Bob. Sorry you've had loads of issues. It is v frustrating.

DT - Cov was a glorified training run (and cold) so I wore a long sleeve under my vest and shorts and long socks. But I felt a bit hot as it was marathon pace and I guess I'd run a marathon in shorts and vest?

So I made it to the correct physio today. He thinks the hip is doing well and I can get back to regular training and...could possibly run the half on Sunday as long as I stop if I get any sharp pain. As to whether I'll perform well who knows. I tested it with 8 miles earlier that went ok. No pain anyway, some stiffness but less than last time. Although my legs generally felt a bit weird but that's down to lack of recent running and is robably just a proprioception issue.

So I'll probably have a go and see. If I need to drop to MP then I can and swap out next weeks session. If I need to just jog then I can add extra on and make into a long run. Or if it hurts and I need to stop then I will.
  • Options
    RAH45RAH45 ✭✭

Well my 10k was good.  44:09 on watch which from almost a year of nothing and 5 weeks of easy running. Pleased yes. 

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ooh, well done Richard! And good luck McFlooze! And hi Bob! Also I am on tenterhooks to find out what top DT wore in his 20 mile not-a-race. It is quite warm today, even in Scotland, and I am just back from a bouncy and pleasant 20-miler for which I wore two vests, shorts and a thin yet astoundingly neon pair of gloves.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

1:28:30 on a course with two monster hills. Pleased.

More tomorrow.

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    V good, Richard.

Tough day for me. Hip felt fine but the pace felt tough much too early (I think due to v little running in the past two weeks) and drifted a bit. There were some undulations, mostly coming in the back half. Nothing major but doesn't help when you're struggling a bit. Anyway, came in at 1.31.08 for a comedy 1 second PB. 7th lady. 1st V35 but no prize as they roll the prize up with the V40s whom most of the top 6 consisted of). So unfinished business and no automatic champs place so now I need to really get training back on track asap.

Hope everyone else had good weekends.
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    And fantastic time from you, Tommy! Brilliant!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done, Tommy and Richard.

Welcome back, Bob. Hope you can get some consistency going on.

Pleasant mornings run. Target pace to be true to schedule was 7.07 and came out 7.06 for 2 22.xx. I really wouldn't have fancied doing Tha session on my own. I was quite proud of myself for not getting pulled into racing it. I took Charlies advice on pre race attire and just wore my club tech t. In the sunshine it was more than warm enough. I've become quite fond my my kangol hoody so didn't want to sacrifice it unnecessarily.

I post a mini race report later.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    #will post#

X post, Mcf. Well done and at least you know you have another pb day to come.
  • Options

Cheers, folks.

Good running all. A PB after an injury scare and reduced running sounds like a result to me, McF. Looking good for London, DT. Excellent comeback, Richard and a belter from Tommy - smashed that 90 minute barrier there. image

Finally got some decent running in here too - a slightly longer progressive run yesterday with a couple of miles cool down tagged on the end, and a slower 10 today - first 10 miler since late November. Over 18 for the weekend in total, and 23.5 since Thursday, so starting to actually look like training again rather than just some occasional tw@tting about in some running shoes.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well done Tommy! So that first hill turned out to be a bit, erm, hilly after all then...? And a PB image to McF. That is even more comedy than my 2-second PB at Alloa half last year, but I am sure you will get sub 1:30 next time.

Well done too to DT for a sensible and well-executed training-run-in-race. My top tip for pre-race fashion knitwear is to put it under your car. If this option is not available I usually go for hanging it from a tree or fence, but there is more risk of someone moving it in that case.

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Lit - in that scenario, wouldn't it be easier to just put your jumper actually in the car?  

Great training run, DT.  You must be feeling good about London now.  What DT needs is a really horrible, garish fashion jumper that nobody would possibly want to steal.  Maybe something like so?  Can anyone knit?  If not I'm sure we could have a whip round.  I think you'd look GREAT at London in this.  

/members/images/332531/Gallery/funny-sweaters-awesome-28.jpg

• Options

Well done to all the racers! A big thanks to Lit for some excellent marshalling on Saturday, you rock a hi-vis and do great funnelling. Your club are so conscientious I love the way every pot-hole is high lighted, good feed at the end too. That's some fierce women's team you've got, Fife locomotive! 

• Options

PB toot-toot for Tommy image

And McF image

And well done Richard, DT, Lit for  Bob for your respective efforts.

There was a bag drop right beside the start at Retford, so no pre-race clothing worries.  We were also quite spoilt for toilets with several options within the sports centre and a number of portaloos in the car park.  Even so, I did notice that the disabled toilet was engaged whenever I passed.

PMP run for me today (by pace - none of this 'marathon pace effort')  and a rather predictable time of 1:29:53.  Not sure if it felt comfortable or not. In terms of perceived effort it didn't seem to much trouble, but my legs seem full of aches and pains at the moment so it's hard to judge what is reasonable.

The event was definitely a 'no frills' affair and with little support on the course I remember thinking it was quite boring.  I notice that there is a strava segment for part of the course called "Retford hm torture chamber"; this is probably bit melodramatic but the course wasn't as benign as the relatively flat profile suggests with a couple of cruel inclines in the second half.

No food in the goody bag.

No goody bag even - just a load of leaflets handed out with the race number.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done, Lou....so do you mean you ignored effort level completely and went to 6.51 regardless? I'm not sure though that 13 miles is enough. The damage on long runs seems to kick in about 17 miles in.

Yes, Lit.....why not just put in your car?

I got to the car park today, got sorted and went to toilet. There was 1 cubicle and about 7 people ahead of me in the queue. It was 9.15 so no time to wait. Next door was a disabled toilet with one person queuing so I joined that and was done in minutes.

My plan, in the absence of a warm up was to start about 7.25 pace and progress to end up at 7.05-7.10. The course was about 2 miles out, then a 5.5 mile loop we did 3 times then about 1.5 back.

The pace plan didn't quite happen with mile 1 coming in at 7.04. I spent thereafter the whole race floating between 7.04 and 7.07 average pace. My legs felt tired early on and I seemed to be sweating a lot and I wondered if this was going to turn into a nightmare. Id deliberately trained hard this week to run on tired legs. After about 5 miles my legs seemed to ease off.

I was surprised whilst only a few miles in to be running with guys breathing pretty heavily. After about 6 miles I seemed to begin cutting through the field picking off group after group, despite running the same pace consistently.

The second lap was quite tough as things had become strung out. Third lap there were a lot of people to lap which passed the time.

There was a moment at about 8 miles which has become one of my favourite in race moments. I was running with this bloke and suddenly from somewhere he produced a foil package which turned out to be a couple of rounds of jam sandwiches. He very kindly offered me a "jam butty" but I declined and moved on. Then about 10 miles in I was running with a guy, standing just down wind of him and he let rip and the full stench hit me face on. Again, I moved on.

I did begin to feel tired from about 16 miles and the heat kicked in a bit, leaving me now with a sun burnt face. I didn't really slow though with last 8 miles at 6.48, 6.59, 7.06, 7.29, 7.05, 7.08, 7.01, 7.15.

Do I feel I could run 26 miles at 6.50......i don't think I'm brave enough to try! Though there was nearly 500 foot of climbing today. Id be interested if anyone had a Garmin trace of London to see the elevation there as it was a hill at 15 miles that left the last 4 tough. Plus my legs wont be tired come London.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hr by the end was 164 so about right for a run of that length, that close to mp. It would probably have been a couple lower but for my watch going wild in first mile having me in the 190s.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Because I don't have a car. That was shorthand for 'your friend' s/coach's car' and is just a way of insuring no-one will drive off and run them over. Also we'd normally have dumped the keys with a non runner before the warm up. Hi Velloo! Those potholes are 100% responsible for my lack of marathon training.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Here you go DT - not sure how reliable it is though as i don't remember 400 feet of climb through Canary Wharf image Infact, i remember very few noticeable inclines

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/760151344

Well done to all the racers and particularly to Lit for her 10 miler

Good to hear from Richard and Big too

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

OMG, just had a proper read of DT's report. Jam butties! I'd have taken one.

Very disappointed at my misspelling of 'ensuring' above. Just fartlekked into work; very refreshing to get to do it in daylight.

Hi Mace!

• Options

You should change your moniker to illiteratin as penance.