Options

thames path 100

Comments

• Options

Did it last year, I surprisingly enjoyed the night section, but found the run (haha!) in from Abingdon very hard work in the rain. I'm not doing it next year, but am likely to offer my services as a marshal/helper so I can sit there and laugh at all of you image

• Options

I'm in again too image.

I loved the night section, it was the best part of the run for me. However, Sunday morning sliding around in the mud and trying not to come down with hypothermia was bleak as f**k image.

I'm back to see to some unfinished business with that last 9miles image.

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Tigerspaw, ditto your last comments. I absolutely loved the night stage. Who would have thought that plodding over a dark wet field to see a very feint pink glow stick could give you such inner satisfaction! My race was pulled at 97.5m due to the weather so maybe between now and race day il head to oxford TP recce the last 2.5milesa
  • Options

Hi Jeremy - I'm in too. Technically my first 100, but I'm doing the Ring o'Fire at the end of August - 130 miles, but cheating by spreading it over 3 days. And ditto the comment above about having to plan ahead - RoF only has a field of 100 and they were already accepting 2013 entrants several months before the 2012 event. I want to try my hand at a lottery place for one of the big events, but if I don't get through (which is very likely), I'll probably be too late to get back in the RoF. Hmmmmm.....

• Options

Obviously there is no such thing as an easy 100, and any characteristic can turn into an aggravating factor over that distance. 

The important thing for your first 100, is probably to pick one that is well supported and well marked, so that all you have to worry about is getting across the finish line. 

In that sense, the TP100 is as good as any. 

• Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

My first 100 and really looking forward to it. Step up from a  couple of Comrades to what I know will be a very different experience.

• Options
    JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Hi Kevin, good job - ring of RoF looks good. I've been struggling to get long runs going again - not so much fitness just lack of shorter term goal. So I shall commit to doing The Toad in September (3x30 on TP) and stop dithering about.
    At least with things getting more popular there are more new events - does make getting into the "classics" tougher though. So far no deisre for UTMB but then I said I'd never do a 50,100 etc etc
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Only 12 places left...

• Options

...and SOLD OUT!

Is anyone doing / or done in previous years, the toad challenge to recee the route? I'm guessing it's the same thames path route (just in reverse and not quite as far?). I'm tempted... can anyone recommend it?

• Options

Jeremy - I've been lazy lately too. 50k this Sunday will tell me how bad its got....

I can't imagine being up to UTMB, especially training in Essex, but I quite fancy trying CCC. Maybe....

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

SB - I think the Thames Trot does the 2nd half of the course in reverse?!

• Options

Cheers WIB, did the TT50 this year and signed up for next year too as a good refresher.

• Options
    JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    SB I am doing the Toad as a recce but have not done it before but did the same companies Pilgrims challenge in Feb and thought they were good. Will go fairly slow to get a good handle on the course.
  • Options

Jeremy the Toad is really enjoyable and Neil and Anna will look after you well !

• Options

Excellent news, because i just entered too!

Thought it'd be the idea recee spread over 3 days. Maybe a little soon for me but i'm sure i'll get round.

• Options

Impressed by how quickly its filled up. All the rave reports from this year clearly did the trick! Not entered for next year in the end as going to try other stuff.

Recommned doing recces (especially after Reading) if you can. Dorney lake section probably a bit busy over the next few weeks!

• Options

I think the quality of the operation that Centurion are putting on and the lack of other quality 100milers means a real rush to sign up if something gets good reviews as TP100 did. I am signed up again for 2013. Be nice to get another sub 24hr buckle, but finishing (as always) will be top priority.

• Options

I did the Adidas thunder run on the weekend as part of a pair (but not my original partner who had to drop out with an injury), so i did a majority of the laps. Managed 15 10k loops in under 19hrs, which i think is 93miles ish!? Feel very chuffed with that esp after not doing much between now and the UTSW. My partner did 6 loops, so we had a good total of 21 image

• Options

Sorry, using this thread to talk about the Toad too... for those who have done it or doing it...

Is there a convienent free place to park up at the end, to then hop on a train back to Oxford for the start? If not, it seems like train, train and train for the weekend... pricey these days!

• Options

Its a leisure centre Superglue so you could probably park up.

• Options

Cheers HTA, think i may try this.

• Options
    I have been looking at training plans. Some have back to backs up to 30/20 which I feel is a bit much while others have lsr and some medium mid week runs.

I had kind of planned maintaining my mileage 50-75 mpw with a 30-35 mile run every second week but wonder if this is enough?

I know I know we are all different what works for one etc etc image
  • Options
    Jeremy - not sure I'm qualified to comment yet .... Are you planning on doing your B2B Comrades too ? I'm not sure yet, but I'm hoping they are far enough apart to make that an option ?
  • Options

I would dearly love too Kevin but my work schedule means I am "on" over Comrades so can't. I will still go back for an up run someday - hopefully 2015 and try for a sub 8 or maybe even a silver image.
    I certainly think the TP and Comrades are far enough apart to be doable!
    20 miler yesterday and no aches or stiffness today so will do club run tonight. Looking forward to Toad and will maintain long runs of 30+ from that until TP all being well!

• Options

Well did Toad Chalenge - I can see how the last part to Oxford can be pretty muddy, will be tricky in the dark too. Rest of it not too bad and fairly easy to follow - but blimey there are a lot of gates!! (Not too many stiles though)

• Options

You'd have to be fairly speedy to get to that muddy last part in the dark image

It is quite eerie running in the dark with just the distant clanging of gates to break the silence (that and the geese who never seem to sleep).

• Options
    Dougie Doonhamer wrote (see)

It is quite eerie running in the dark with just the distant clanging of gates to break the silence (that and the geese who never seem to sleep).

That sentence just brought it all back to me and gave me the shivers image.

The night was so peaceful and calm, and the gate noise actually quite reassuring that you were not completely alone out there.

• Options

Hi JeremyG, I was at the toad too and am doing the TP100, i think we chatted briefly on the first day run a bit (did u have the Grizzly T-shirt on?). You were a little fast for me n my mate then so we dropped back. You had a great run!

• Options
    Hi SB yes that was me in the Grizzly T - yes I was quite pleased with how it went. You had a good run too, definitely worth doing to recce the course. See you at TP100!
  • Options

Hi all,

Looking forward to this one. Could anyone advise of any good races in the London/south-east area that they have completed in the lead up? I am looking at the Country to Capital 45 and the Thames Trot 50. They are a good few weeks before the race and would be a good chance for me to check kit and pacing, I would think. Any others that you know of?