Options

The Outlaw on TV

Comments

• Options

OK anyone old enough to recognise this quote?

'Video cassette recorder, digital watch, deluxe model inflatable woman, whatever that is'

'The deluxe is the one with the real hair'

• Options
    Wilkie wrote (see)

They allocated a prime time slot, then!

Without wishing to diss anyone who's done this, I wonder if it's actually right to call it "the world'd toughest one-day endurance event"?

I will set the dvd, and watch at a more sensible time. image

It wouldn't be Wilkie but the media label 'just' a normal marathon as  gruelling.

• Options
    Doner Kebab wrote (see)

less than 24 hours - easy peasy

there you go Meface, ill finish it for yaimage

Technical issues, website slowed to a crawl and couldn't even refresh post.

I needed someone to finish a 100 mile trail run as I only got to mile 77. So what I wanted to say was:

They do 100 mile runs in 24hrs and that is definitely harder than the Outlaw or Ironman..

• Options
    Not The 9 o'clock News ? Gas-Man ?
  • Options

It is indeed Dave - slightly funnier when they did it; no offence Gas man image

• Options

It's prime time showing isn't it? How many people get up at that time on a Sunday apart from those who have to for training, work etc? The other episode is on at 03:40.

• Options
    C4+1 should start at 07:30 then do get some training in then settle down to watchimage
  • Options

Being an IT numpty and staying at a Gite in France at the mo (+1 hour) can someone explain to me (simply!!) how to set the Sky+ box to record, pretty please?  

Party Saturday night so I'm not sure I'll be up to watch it on Sunday!  image

Merci bien!

• Options
    PS - if you have a smartphone or an iPad, you can do it remotely. If you are with the kids, get them to download Sky+ app and take it from there. Come back to me if you have any questions
  • Options

Or, if you don't have an iPad, you can give your Sky login details to Schmunks, who can do it for you image

• Options

I meant to also say that anyone who has a video capture program could probably capture the programme but of course that would be illegal so I wouldn't dream of it. image

Ridgebackmax wrote (see)
    C4+1 should start at 07:30 then do get some training in then settle down to watchimage

Or you can watch it on Tuesday 14 August at 03:40, or 04:40. You're spoilt for choice for early morning training sessions image

• Options

Loads of coverage of the leading man, loads of coverage of the leading relay, did they forget there was also a leading lady in there too, it felt to me they barely mentioned Emma!  Poor show Channel 4!

• Options

Poor coverage all round, especially as the Pirates amounted for a large percentage of the field. Only focused on Harry Wiltshire, Goodfellow and a few others. 

• Options

Agreed, I thought there would be loads of pirates on the screen as there were so many there, and they certainly didn't give much coverage to Emma. Showcased only the front men and the relay teams. I hoped this program would pay more attention to Mr. and Mrs. average but it failed completely.

• Options

I was hoping that the coverage would give my friends and family more of a perspective of what the race was about. Whilst I'm glad it was on at all, can't help but be saddened that ultimately it's an opportunity missed.

• Options
    Yep .. Very disappointing C4. Was wondering if they were ever going to mention Emma . Bizarre that they felt the need to talk about 2nd and 3rd ladies first. Good that a few pirates made the coverage ( albeit mainly background shots )but would definately have been nice to have seen something other than race leader.

On that note ..Is it just me that was getting annoyed that he found it acceptable to just drop his rubbish on the feet of the feed station team ?
  • Options

For someone who hasn't done it, though - I found it really inspiring ... did shed a tear at the guy at the end.

Spotted myself and my son at the finish - whoo - fame at last!!!

• Options
    http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/532975_10151018473296775_1512377127_n.jpg

I made a brief appearance image that's at about 19 miles.

• Options

I do agree that the coverage was disproportionate .. but as someone mentioned on Twitter earlier we should be glad that they are bothering to cover it at all

They were probably trying to appeal to the 'masses' and the masses are probably interested in the charity aspect and that young bloke who won, not taking anything away from Meli but I would think that they were unprepared for her win and so had not got the coverage from the bike leg ... IIRC she was 20 mins behind coming off the bike and then took them out on the run which is where the camera picked her up

Lets hope that each time they cover triath-er-lon events that the coverage gets better and better   image

• Options
    Rubbish coverage... Period

They've obviously never watched kona, I mean let's say I was a production company just starting out on covering triathlon,negate the first thing I would do?

Watch some really world class triathlon coverage, and then do my utmost to emulate within the constraints of time, budget and resources... Its not rocket science it's programme management FFS

Completely sexist, uninspiring coverage that really didn't show what Triathlon and IM is all about. How you manage not to cover more on pirates or even interview the female winner prepared or is beyond me and bloody disrespectful! Meli may have caught them by surprise but how hard would it have been to interview, do some background after the event footage and rectify....

Anyway, I think it was a bloody shame, completely one-sided and boring and "at least they covered it"... Personally I wish they hadn't bothered

Respect to all men and women who completed it, I applaud you and you deserved better

I'm going to take my meds now
  • Options
    I thought it looked like Derby club in blue had the most people racing... I don't remember the lap of the lake on the bike at the end of the cycle. Are was that crap editing ?
  • Options

There was a lot of that course I didn't remember. I also don't recall it rainng on the run...

• Options

I made an appearance on tv too, you can see the back of my head next to SA.

• Options
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    I thought it looked like Derby club in blue had the most people racing... I don't remember the lap of the lake on the bike at the end of the cycle. Are was that crap editing ?

Crap editing!

• Options

I was disappointed by the coverage of the women's race too. There was plenty of me personally - I only took the lead 16miles in to the run and they didn't film me on the bike. However, they didn't show Layla Cartright who lead for the vast majority of the race at all and they did film her and the girl behind her on the bike extensively. I would expect an imbalance because Harry Wiltshire was essentially the only pro in the race but a little more of the  women's race would have been good.

Gastank - they did interview me at the end but they only used a small part of the interview.

It was still a pretty long segment on a minority sport so its not all bad. And OSB got some great PR, comments about the race were excellent.

• Options

As someone who wants to do this I was really dissapointed as felt the true nature of the event was lost. All very elitist. With one or two layman thrown in the mix. It did make me chuckle however when the pirate colours were noted and he said, there are 1 or 2 in the same. Was he there?

• Options
    IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

There was a lot of that course I didn't remember. I also don't recall it rainng on the run...

Nor do I ... probably because I was still on the bike  image

• Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)
    IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Nor do I ... probably because I was still on the bike  image

It chucked it down! I think it would have been about 7-7.5hrs in to the race as I remember beinng grateful I was off my bike.