Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

welcome smiley  image

Eggy..    this is for you..http://www.funnychristmasjumpers.co.uk

• Options
    Dannirr et al - eloquent words on a dreadful situation. I thought Obama spoke well. But that's all he seemingly can do - speak. Point taken about ineffective politicians - they exist everywhere but this is an acute and deteriorating problem. It needs action. But how do you repeal weapons in a heavily armed, antagonistic culture?

I grew up in a culture with open and concealed weaponry, and I do not miss that now. It alters community, society, trust. I adore the US but could never live there, 'constitutional' rights to bear arms being part of the reason...
  • Options

Welcome Smiley!

DV - I am with you on the weather....its awful and making the thought of running non - existentimage

But I did get rid of the CBA's long enough to do an interval session on the treadmill.........toughimage But I am amazed that I managed it at paces I have never done before!!! image 

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Get out there, DV! I was busying entering my , single figure, milage the other night when Finn remarked that she had 3 more marathons to do before the end of the year. Errr, this yearimage  We need your mileage to restore the global thread-mileage currently being sabotaged by my sloth, Jimbob's Christmas parties and the injury bench....

Welcome to the thread , smiley. How's the start of your training going?

• Options

I'm perched on the end of the bench with my arse hanging off it image...just about to go out to do 20 miles on my bike but all being well I'll start combining cycling and running next week image

• Options
  • Options

Hi Smileymiler - this your first time in Paris? First marathon?

RR - How's the toes?

Simon - You've only got yourself to blame.

• Options
    Grim news to wake up to. I read a couple of profound Tweets which put it better than I can right now:

Today's culture worships violence, winning, war, wealth & guns. Maybe instead, we should respect wisdom, love, peace & compassion. | #YAN

We glamorize guns and stigmatize getting mental help. Let's reverse that.
  • Options
    MORNING JIMBOB HOW'S THE HEAD?

Weedy - thanks for asking. One toenail is about 90% detached, so I'm trying San experiment involving superglue to see if I can hang on to it until its replacement grows back in a bit. I'm not very confident that it will work.

Re Christmas jumpers - we all need these for next year http://www.inknburn.com/men/long-sleeve/men-s-holiday-sweater-long-sleeve-tech-shirt.html
  • Options

Don't tempt me RR. Weedy has already made me part with my hard earned cash for a jumper.

Desperately looking for an excuse not to have to go for a run. The weather is horrible. I have a very small paper cut in my finger (desk jobs can be dangerous) - that will have to do.

Should really start looking for Paris accommodation. And flights. My overdraft is getting nervous.

• Options

That was deeply unpleasant....20 miles in pissing rain and headwind....I've been home for an hour, had a shower, food and coffee and my feet are still numb....image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

RR, I so want one of those......image

yer_maj, biking in bad weather is just pants.You need some Christmas sock/slippers...

• Options

YM - I think I would have stayed at home..........In fact I did!image

Still trying to talk my big brother to give me his bike and turbo machine........well he stays in Manchester and both items are stored in Orkneyimage

• Options

On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me

Seven Christmas jumpers
    Six Men in Tights 
    Fiiiiiiiive injury benches
    Four King cold out there
    Three osteopaths 
    Two Delahayes 

And an Orbutt in a pear tree image    
  • Options

A few apges back, some of you gave me some excellent comments in your advice to beginners...   do any of you have any objections to me using your comments almost word for word..?    I'm writing the copy for the new web site this weekend and it reads really naturally to have these comments from real people rather just me...

Any objections...?

Any additional comments or thoughts that I can use...?

I'm looking at advice, hints and thoughts specifically beginners and then separately similar comments for Novice runners or those who just want to learn and get better.

Many thanks...

The web site will be live by the end of the week and I'll let you see it once it's up..

• Options
    Dragged myself out for a 20k run in the wind and rain. Took DV's advice and wore my lightweight cycling jacket (Altura). Worked a treat in keeping windchill at bay. Feet up now watching a corny Christmas movie in front of the fire. Bliss...
  • Options
    DV - Feel free to use any of my mumblings.
  • Options

DV - Okay with me for mine to be used.

hmm...this christmas jumper thing...don't get it and am finding it quite humourous how easily the english jump on a bandwagon to show how eccentric they are...but it's not really beign different, when everyone is doing it, is it? imageimage bring on the baahhhh humbug.  The eggy photo is brilliant though!

My plans for christmas in London fell through so I am now going to Tunisia image  Anyone else been?  For the geeks I know are out there, I'll be at the star wars set on christmas eve, hanging with the troglodytes.

• Options

RS..  you are missing the sarcasm..   we DON'T wear these jumpers...   they are a bit of a joke and people who might actually wear them are often fully aware of how rubbish they are...   this is not a serious fashion topic...

• Options
    Dark The Herald Angels Sing wrote (see)

RS..  you are missing the sarcasm..   we DON'T wear these jumpers...   they are a bit of a joke and people who might actually wear them are often fully aware of how rubbish they are...   this is not a serious fashion topic...

Don't worry, I'm not missing any of the ironic sweater wearing over/under tones.  It becomes redundant though when it's incorporated in current fashion, caused by a TV show.

• Options
    DV - feel free to quote anything sensible I've said.
  • Options

Thanks..   the comments have been used...  image

• Options
    RS - I've been to Tunisia and in true geek fashion visited the Star Wars troglodyte homes. It's also not far from the amphitheatre used when filming Life of Brian. Splitters!
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

DV, can you get them to envisage what 3/6/12 etc months down the road might be like? The friend who talked me into my first pair of trainers promised some sort of thrill/feeling of achievement/passionate love of running....( I always thought that last one was a long shot...) after 3 months of effort....but it ws still Hell! 6 months was more realistic..and , at that, I'm only talking about avoiding the 'near-death' experiences. BUT...Voila! As far as I can see, anyone can do this. After 47 years or so of not-running, all sorts of things are , apparently,possible...from a 5k-without-dying to regular jaunts to Paris with a load of...er...intersting...folk.In between, there's the fun of being able to run long distances...(slowly, but, so what?...)

If I'm honest, I enjoy knowing that I can do it ( weighted for age/inclination/ability etc etc ) even more than actually doing it. It's such a surprise. image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

oops I should have said...It never occurred to me that running would  have a ' social' aspect...that I would meet such nice people. (image even if you lot are ' imaginary' )!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Eggy, next year I swear I'm off to a non-even-nominally-Christian country.I think I am 'post-Christmas'...Have a fab' time, RS.

• Options
    Oh and if you are visiting Tunisia then a trip to the ruins of Carthage is a must.

One tip though, be verbally aggressive when dealing with any street sellers, or when visiting any markets. I found the Tunisians very aggressive and a polite no thanks won't do the job. I did have one market stall guy try and get me to swap my trainers for a thriller type Michael Jackson leather jacket. I declined that offer.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

RSTunisiaEggyCarthage Saint Augustine'' Give me chastity and continence, but not yet. ''? 'Fess up, RS.What kind of holiday are you planning? image

• Options
    Away in T' Manger.. wrote (see)

oops I should have said...It never occurred to me that running would  have a ' social' aspect...that I would meet such nice people. (image even if you lot are ' imaginary' )!

Thanks for the comments..   and the one above is especially good to point out...  

• Options
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)
    RS - I've been to Tunisia and in true geek fashion visited the Star Wars troglodyte homes. It's also not far from the amphitheatre used when filming Life of Brian. Splitters!

ooohhhhh, that's a good one.  Think we'll be heading there too.  It's an organised small group adult tour so we're going to hit all the proper touristy spots.

Away in T' Manger.. wrote (see)

RSTunisiaEggyCarthage Saint Augustine'' Give me chastity and continence, but not yet.''? 'Fess up, RS.What kind of holiday are you planning? image

okay, you kinda list me.  I figure it's probably a monty python reference...but I'm not that familiar with the movies.  I'll send you the link to the tour I'm going on. image