Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Danni - I read that story too and was very moved.

Without a doubt, this exact thing made my experience in Paris this year. What Eggy (was it Eggy? I think so?) said about wanting to hi-five every kid who put their hand up for him really resonated with me.

So this year, I deliberately switched off my music. And engaged with every person and experience I could. Smiled as brightly as I could and laughed at everything that made me feel good. I engaged with the crowd when I could. Said 'merci', 'thank you', whenever I could. Hi-fived every fireman, kid, grandmother, and people who didn't have their hand up yet. Waved at the people on the bridges.

Felt slightly foolish, but that was the only way I could see to show them how much I appreciated it and how much it meant to me. It would be so easy for them to watch us, the thousands of runners pass by, cheer for us, and think, I've been yelling myself hoarse for hours and the runners don't even notice.

And the time flew by. I did not miss my music once...

• Options

thats cause you couldn't get a word in edge ways talking to me image

• Options

RR am I too late for the pasta party?  I have 2 other supporters this time image  If not I can maybe catch up with you guys at the end? 

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    DV also said about the high fives. I did it and loved it.

Rick - a bit drastic fleeing the country after the marathon. All the best to you and Mrs RJ on your new adventure.

DLR lowers the tone even in his absence.
  • Options
    Audrey Brown wrote (see)

thats cause you couldn't get a word in edge ways talking to me image

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Dannirr - Wonderfully put. I must admit I ran many races in the past oblivious to the crowds in a fog of man versus clock, while chasing a time. I plan to run on Sunday with a smile on my face and high five as many people as I can, while soaking in the atmosphere from the crowd.

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

hey all, well...I can't put anything as eloquent as what's already been said but I will be out on sunday.  I will be yelling my head off and supporting those I know and those I don't.  It's the marathon, it's more than 26.2 miles.

note to those running, they're putting a black ribbon in your runners pack.  well, they said they'll be giving all runners a ribbon so presuming it'll be in your pack, if it's not. find one.  Wear it with pride and honour.

• Options

nice one Eggy - I'll be thinking of you a few hours behind you - but smiling all the wayimage

• Options
    Running Rodent wrote (see)

...a short ride on the DLR (no, not that one, the Docklands Light Railway)) would be very welcome.

Yay....and booooo!

yer_maj wrote (see)

I'm trying to resist the urge to say anything at all about short rides on DLR.  Honest.

Even if the rides are short, I find them quite satisfying.

Eggyh73 wrote (see)

RR - Brilliant. Looking forward to it.  Not the short rides on DLR, done that a few times!!

Hmmm i can see I'm going to have to increase your rohipnol dosage levels.

Dannirr wrote (see)

I was driving home from work a little while ago, and heard the story of the 8 year old who died in Boston yesterday. Along with his mother and sister, they gathered just before the finish to see their Dad finish. When he saw them, he ran over to them (before finishing) and the 8 year old reached over the barrier and gave him a hug. His dad then turned and set off for the finish - about 30 seconds later the bomb exploded, killing the son and gravely wounding the mother and sister.

The reporter relaying these events was sobbing on the radio - as was I. 

I've often wondered what the supporters who come out to cheer us on get out of the whole thing? They stand around for hours for a brief glimpse. And then it hit me. They do it for us, not for themselves. They know their support is what rallies us when we are flagging. They know that their presence is what we keenly look out for when we approach a meeting spot. And even the unknown supporter that shouts our name or high fives us as we pass knows that he or she has added to our experience in a very positive way.  When investigating a new race one of the first questions is always "what is the crowd support like?"  Indeed, we discussed it here just a week or so ago.

Yesterday it was these people that bore the physical brunt of this disaster. Not the runners. 

Even though I usually try acknowledge those that yell out at me with a wave or a nod,  I think it important that each and every one of them that pushes me on be greeted in some way - and that's something to strive for. 

Perfect Dan, perfect.

PC91 wrote (see)

DLR lowers the tone even in his absence.

What can I say, it's a talent.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    I saw a re-tweet by Paula Radcliffe pointing to this http://twitter.com/LondonNici72/status/324202768636190720/photo/1

The idea is to put your hand over your heart as you cross the finish line.

I'm happy to let the Orbot slip for this image
  • Options
    RS, I'll be out wiv my 6 yar old daughter asking racket for the runners, we'll try to meet eh? Talk about it on Saturday
  • Options
    Well said dannirr

, I made a point of high giving every kid , group , grandmother , supporter I could , apart from the two kids who raised they're hands to high five me then both dropped it , leaving me hanging in mid slap ,, but it still made me smile , and that's what the crowd do best , they made you smile , they lift your mood and make you forget the pain and suffering of running 26.2 miles
  • Options

Maus - that's a really nice story

Danni - very eloquently put.

I took TP's design and I've found a firm that'll print it on a technical T front and back and post it out for £20. They only do white Ts, though. Let me know if you want their details, although I've never used them before so couldn't say what they're like.

Rick - hope the move's gone smoothly. Say hi to Fanette.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

You got it Dannir- a great loss that poor man has suffered losing his boy like that. Every supporter deserves a salute, they have got me round many a tough race. You can't understimate the emotion that comes out in a race and this one will be a bit special I think.

• Options

My Mum has been hospitalised with suspected heart attack. 25,000km away. 

Not a good week...

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Maus - Really sorry to hear your news. 

• Options
    Oh Maus, that's terrible news. Take comfort in the fact she's getting the best possible care available, if she's anything like you she'll be a tough chicken and will be fine

Thinking of you xo
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Maus - sorry to hear that. Fortunately she is hospitalised - and they will take care of her.

• Options

Thanks Eggy and JusT. Just the waiting game now for test results. My Dad is very complimentary about the care she's getting.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    I hope the news isgood, Maus.

Good luck OO and Eggy! Power to your supporters.

I m so glad I ll miss today s shenanigans...
  • Options

Maus - Sorry to hear your news, she's in the right place. Hope your 'ok'. x

Not much happeining up here, back to normal with work,Study, grass cutting, shopping, dental appointments..........Managed 2 runs since my return home but have skipped my kettlebells sessionimage Going running tonight, then hopefully back to doing KB's etc as of tomorrow - if I can get out of my bed!

Oldest has to choose her 3rd year subjects by end of week, so an evening of discussion will follow run.

• Options

Mausy - virtual hugs headed your way.  Definitely in the best place - where they can monitor, test and treat now.

Kaz - had the same thing with my eldest a few weeks ago.  Half the subjects were ones I didn't know you could do!

• Options

Maus, very sorry to hear about your Mum, it's terrible when you are so far away.  Take comfort from the fact she is in the best place.

The following just dropped into my FB inbox from a friend in MA so at his request I'm sharing.  I'm sure there are countless stories like this one.

(see)

Despite the horror at the marathon here there have been some nice aspects. I am very proud of some friends who work for BEMS. (piccy of one on my timeline)

A cousin sent me the following from the Facebook page of a girl named Laura Wellington. I find it quite touching. As a runner I am sure you will:

"Please help me by sharing this!

As some of you know, I was 1/2 mile from the finish line when the explosion went off. I had no idea what was going on until I finally stopped and asked someone. Knowing that my family was at the finish line waiting for me, I started panicking, trying to call them. Diverted away from the finish line, I started walking down Mass Ave towards Symphony Hall still not knowing where my family was. Right before the intersection of Huntington, I was able to get in touch with Bryan and found out he was with my family and they were safe. I was just so happy to hear his voice that I sat down and started crying. Just couldn't hold it back. At that moment, a couple walking by stopped. The woman took the space tent off her husband, who had finished the marathon, and wrapped it around me. She asked me if I was okay, if I knew where my family was. I reassured her I knew where they were and I would be ok. The man then asked me if I finished to which I nodded "no." He then proceeded to take the medal off from around his neck and placed it around mine. He told me "you are a finisher in my eyes." I was barely able to choke out a "thank you" between my tears.

Odds are I will never see this couple again, but I'm reaching out with the slim chance that I will be able to express to them just what this gesture meant to me. I was so in need of a familiar face at that point in time. This couple reassured me that even though such a terrible thing had happened, everything was going to be ok.

Weedy, t shirt sounds good.  Stick up a pic of your one when it is ready.

Enjoy your day everyone, whether you are protesting or paying your respects image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Mausy - big hug.
  • Options
    Ooh these stories are so sad and also so brave.

MM...thinking of you ??hug??

Off out before it gets too hot today, trying to get up to 10k, then back to a pile of ironing to watch the funeral.
  • Options

Maus - hope she's okay. And you and your family

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Dannirr wrote (see)

I was driving home from work a little while ago, and heard the story of the 8 year old who died in Boston yesterday. Along with his mother and sister, they gathered just before the finish to see their Dad finish. When he saw them, he ran over to them (before finishing) and the 8 year old reached over the barrier and gave him a hug. His dad then turned and set off for the finish - about 30 seconds later the bomb exploded, killing the son and gravely wounding the mother and sister.

The reporter relaying these events was sobbing on the radio - as was I. 

I've often wondered what the supporters who come out to cheer us on get out of the whole thing? They stand around for hours for a brief glimpse. And then it hit me. They do it for us, not for themselves. They know their support is what rallies us when we are flagging. They know that their presence is what we keenly look out for when we approach a meeting spot. And even the unknown supporter that shouts our name or high fives us as we pass knows that he or she has added to our experience in a very positive way.  When investigating a new race one of the first questions is always "what is the crowd support like?"  Indeed, we discussed it here just a week or so ago.

Yesterday it was these people that bore the physical brunt of this disaster. Not the runners. 

Even though I usually try acknowledge those that yell out at me with a wave or a nod,  I think it important that each and every one of them that pushes me on be greeted in some way - and that's something to strive for. 

Beautifully put

Orbutt wrote (see)
    I saw a re-tweet by Paula Radcliffe pointing to this http://twitter.com/LondonNici72/status/324202768636190720/photo/1

The idea is to put your hand over your heart as you cross the finish line.

I'm happy to let the Orbot slip for this image

I've printed out the remember boston sign to put on my shirt.

Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

I took TP's design and I've found a firm that'll print it on a technical T front and back and post it out for £20. They only do white Ts, though. Let me know if you want their details, although I've never used them before so couldn't say what they're like.

There's a group on facebook also organising it. Link is here: https://www.facebook.com/#!/RunJunkees 

Info:  

Okay everyone Hailey and Courtney have decided its time to do more then just wear a race shirt today to support those victims from the Boston Marathon bombing.
    We have made these Tshirts. Designed by VO2 the Max. The image was used also by... Run Junkees for their running event. 100% of the proceeds will be donated to the Red Cross who are helping those victims of this tragic event. Please help us help all of those affected!! This is our time to come together as a community and really give back!!
    - the shirts come in mens and womens. please read the descriptions and visit our website to purchase your shirt. the tshirt says Runners United to Remember
    - they will be on sale until 12:00pm this Friday April 19, 2013
    visit our web site www.runlikeagirlbc.com look under the products tab.
    Thank you so much! I know that
  • Options

Wow. These stories show there's courage and quality inside each one of us. Hope you find yours today Mausey as you get to grips with what's happening for your mother.

• Options

Thinking of you Maus - but as you know from this forum, cyber hugs can be good image

Tartan, I am such a woos - I am crying again - not good when your son comes down for breakfast as sees me crying over my computer, and says 'are you reading that forum again' - its just seems the last few days folks have been putting into words those unexpressed emotions about marathon running - as Tricky says 'the courage and quality in each and every one of us'.  Thank you Tricky, as always you nailed it x