Options

How to stop cramping up

Right, last 3 marathons - bad cramp at 24 miles (Nottingham last year), 25 miles (FLM this year) and 26.1 miles (Nottingham)

How can I stop this? I drank gallons of electrolyte drinks at Nottingham and as much as was available at London.

I've 2 ideas...

1. Stretching - never do enough. If my hamstrings etc. were looser to start with would that make cramp less likely?

2. Energy gels - taste like shampoo but if I can fond one I get on with will that give me the chemicals I need to avoid this annoying and time-costing problem?

Comments

• Options
    The SIS guys reckoned that some carbo loss might cause cramping. Worth looking at anyway.

Do you like bananas ? They are meant to be very good with the potassium and sodium levels. Gonna stuff myself with them next time.
  • Options
    Let me know when you learn. Cramps are one of my chief enemies.

Odd though, my long run, Saturday, I thought I was going to have to switch from run/walk to walk/walk when every muscle south of me knee cramped simultaneously at one point.

Ate a sesame snap (containing a good deal of glucose, not a lot else), two minutes later was able to complete the distance at the usual run/walk. No further cramping problems at all.

Suggests in my case it's a matter of getting fuel to the right place.
  • Options
    I got awful cramp halfway through my last marathon ... it passed, but I ran the last 13 miles with a very ragged gait.

I have been told that tonic water is the cure .... I try to avoid sugary drinks on a marathon as they tend to give me a 'high' for about a mile and then instant deflation, so I only use them in the last couple of miles.

But regular doses of tonic water (tragically sans gin)? I might give it a try - at least it tastes better that most of the sports drinks around!
  • Options
    I had cramp on my "long " run yesterday
    i was coincidentally on call for the week, hence no G and t

Wonder------
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    That's sorted then - tonic water during the race, gin at the finish, with ice and lemon, lovely......
  • Options

I can sympathise with your all.
    I went running today at lunch time and by the time I was half way round I had terrible cramp in both calfs. When I got back to the sports centre and stretched I was near to tears with frustration.

I know I can run the distance easy but today I was just terrible and had to keep walking bits. I had one man run past and say to me 'its really too hot to run today' but he looked ok.

I was running with a sports drink which I had diluted after having some a half hour before I started out and took sips frequently. I will certainly try the Tonic water tip and see how it goes.

• Options
    thanks for the mention barnsley!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't cramp caused mainly by dehydration?

Fortunately, have never suffered with it, but have seen peeps in terrible pain, and I know one runner that his legs go into spasms and he often has to lie on the road until he can walk again. But he gets up and finishes his race!!
  • Options
    dehydration .. or lack of salts?

the SIS drinks weren't the electrolyte ones were they....
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    BR - looks like your first suggestion could be the problem if the electrolyte option isn't helping. Have a look at the following article from Peak Performance.

Hamstring problems
  • Options
    Another article - http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1999/11_99/schwellnus.htm

Quoted by Noakes. Backs up the PPonline article.

Cramping appears to be related to incorrect function of Golgi tendon organs causing spinal reflex to contract the muscle. More likely to happen in muscles that are not strecthed close to max length during exercise (hamstrings are a good example). Brought on by muscle fatigue. Not associated with dehydration or heat...

Improved stretching regime and reducing muscle fatigue seem to be the suggested solutions.
  • Options
    I have run already 4 marathons and i have never experienced cramps. Lucky me right???But i have read (unfortunately i can't find the exact web page) and i usually follow a routine after any longish training run, especially if i do it on grass or trails. Well, it is the following more or less. After cooling down i am performing some one legged knee high jumps raising simultaneously e.g. right knee and left arm. Hope i explained it good enough and that helps you!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to picture this Hermes, now both knees together...oh, you fell over.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I think if you're prone to cramp then you have to be more dedicated in your stretching routine.

I stretch before and after every training run, I stretch before every race, but very rarely stretch after a race. I also stretch all my leg muscles before a long drive.
  • Options
    Yes that would be really tricky SHADES!!!...I meant performing ONE legged jumps raising at thesame time the opposite arm. I think that's the right picture!