Options

Walkers In Running Races

Comments

• Options
    to be honest, I don't think it matters too much about who's walking where, as long as people are aware of what speed they're going (walking or running) relative to those behind them.

Bit like a motorway, really - nobody minds someone trundling along at 55mph in the slow lane, it's when they do it in the faster ones that it becomes a problem. And everyone knows that lorries go slowly uphill and people accept that fact and give them room to move over - but we would be pretty peed off to find a lorry in the outside lane struggling to do 45mph (the fact it's illegal probably tells us something!).
  • Options
    looks like we're thinking along the same road, Moe!
  • Options
    Which one's that the M25?! LOL
  • Options
    Go-KLGo-KL ✭✭✭
    As the originator of this post it is interesting to read through all the replies. As I originally left out my thoughts on the topic, I guess it is only fair to now put my own in to the mix.
    As many others have said I have no problem with people combining walking when running in races, either as a walk/run strategy or when they have simply exhausted their ability to run any further. Indeed in my primitive racing years I used to walk at drinks stations to avoid Airplane! style drinking problems...
    (Now I still have Airplane! style drinking problems when running through drinks stations - I have just learnt to live with it!)
    My issue is with those who turn up at Running races with no intention of actually doing any running. On the one hand I side with those who say it could be a stepping stone to running or we all have our own abilities etc. and it is true that as long as they all considerate (love the motorway analogy) they shouldn't pose a problem to those wishing to run.
    On the other hand part of me believes that if you take part in a running race, you should at least make some effort to actualy run it. This is because - powerwalking and 'Olympic' walking aside (I accept that this can be as challenging as running), if you turn up to say, a half marathon, and stroll it like a Sunday afternoon walk in the park, it isn't embracing the essence of taking part in a distance running event, and that is the challenge of pushing your body to the limits of your endurance. It makes me think of someone turning up to a book review club and asking if they could turn on the DVD of the book they are reviewing. Yes they are participating, and it may be argured that it is better to have an interest than none at all, but it removes the core reason of the pastime.
    Moreover as someone earlier has pointed out if you have, say 200 walkers with entries, that possibly denies 200 runners the opportunity to run in a race if that event is oversubscribed. Here you fall into the moral argument of who is more deserving of a place, the runner or the walker, or whether they both have an equal right.
  • Options
    Go-KL - good point with the DVD n book club!
    I'm sure plenty of orgnaisations have a sponsored walk now and again that walkers could do! (Agree with race walking - b@stard hard from what I've seen. All that distance AND heel-toe-heel-toe stuff to keep up!)
  • Options
    I have no issues with walkres and runners being together but it can prove frustrating when walkers do not move over to the left......

I am not a fast runner and doubt if i will be i did GNR in 2:23 real time.

people were stood in 1:30 markers and was clearthey could not do that time......

when i first started i run/wlaked and made sure i stayed over and this was without being told the etiquette it just seemed polite.....maybe an idea if this was publisised for 2004 hand book issued to all participants

a man i met at GNR did it for charity wearing an elephan suit he knew it would take 3+ hours and started at the back......

at the end of the day the GNR is about taking part not getting PB's except if your elite like Paula Radcliffe.........WHAT AN INSPIRATION.she is
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I've read this thread with great interest. My enjoyment at the Nike Run London 10K was marred by slow runners/walkers blocking the middle of the road (and with 20,000 taking part there were a LOT of bodies all the way around - at no point did the field really 'thin out'). I put myself in the sub-1 hour category (there were only 4 to choose from and I was honest and knew I was unlikely to go sub-45). I wished that I had started with the sub-45 group, as even at 2km I was barely jogging due to some inconsiderate people who had patently entered the wrong category and were not even making the slightest effort to run or keep out of the way of those who wished to do so. Quite a few in the sub-45 group finished way behind me.

I have two comments to make:
    1) Be honest about your own abilities - if you're fast, go with the faster runners. If you're not, don't.
    2) Be considerate of others - move to the side of the path/road if you need to stop and walk, and don't just stop dead directly in front of someone, nearly causing them an injury!
  • Options
    unfortunately, you can bet your bottom dollar that none of those in need of this advice will actually come onto the RW forum!!
  • Options
    Had a bit of an insight in to walkers at the front of a race at the Flora Lite. I think they put a lot of the 'celebrities' at the front, some of which were walkers rather than runners.

They seemed to have got it right with some lass called Paula tho :-)
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    We put on a 7.5 mile race. Two years ago we had an entrant who insisted on walking. Our last finisher is usual in about 1:30, but this person took 2:30. We had marshals standing out in November waiting for her, the Red Cross trailing her in the sweep vehicle (probably hoping some vultures would come down and eat her).

If there had been a incident with a faster runner they would probably have expired before the Red Cross sweep vehicle arrived.

It was damn inconsiderate and we have had to subsequently introduce a cut off time.

• Options
    It seem to be a trait in some people to want to do things 'differently' to the basic aim of the organised event and the majority of entrants in that event. Perhaps next someone will insist on entering a bike race and run it instead of cycling!!

Anyone can go for a walk (or come to that exercise a dog!) any day of the week in any of our wonderful countryside. Why insist on doing it in the middle of a 'road running race'?
  • Options
    what about people walking in races who can walk faster than very slow runners

and

should people only enter running races if they intend (injuries/illness) permitting to RUN the WHOLE race - as that would discourage a lot of beginner or slow runners from entering and is that what peeps would want in mass participation events
  • Options
    not a suggestion !!

just being d3evils advocate !!

and who says what a 'slow runner' is - someone whose faster than me or someone whose slower than Paula ?

• Options
    Bune, this thread has suggested:-

1. It is not whether you are running or walking that counts. It is what pace you are moving at and are you considering other participants.

2. People should enter races intending to get from start to finish as quickly as they can, be it 5 min miling, run/walk, run/blow up/walk or trot. The basic principle is some intense physical effort should be involved.

I would not do the GNR as a training run as I would feel I hadn't earned my momento. I would have to do my best. That should apply to everyone or else you are denying someone more committed (not necessarily faster) a place.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I'm sure someone who could walk fast wouldn't be getting in the way. I think most people are talking about people who are slow walkers and start at the front or there abouts in running races.

I don't class myself as a front runner so I certanily wouldn't line up alongside those runners as I know I'd get in their way. So why should someone who intends to walk most of the way line up in front of runners who intend to run all the way.

As far as I'm concerned a running race is for running and if people want to walk then there are walking races! I'm not talking about people who end up walking for some reason or other I'm talking about people who enter with the intention of walking most or all of it and that's irrelevant to what speed they walk. Afterall you wouldn't see someone enter a track running race and walk it, so why in road race.

If running races are now to include walkers, which the bigger events obviously do then there should be a designated area at the rear of the running field for these participants to start at and it should be made clear in all information sent out and at the registration that if you intend to walk this is where you MUST start. Maybe then everyone could be included and enjoy taking part in the big events without people saying if you want a pb or to run all the way without being prevented to by inconsiderate runners/walkers choose another race.

Obviously pace is relative, but when there are boards with start times on and your get into a start zone that says sub 1.30 yet you plan to run 1.40 then you're in the wrong zone and then you are a slower runner for that start!
  • Options
    I have no problem with walker in mass-participation events, as long as they start at the apropiate place - if they are fast walkers start further up - but if they are strollers they should start further back

But that said the same goes for those that run
  • Options
    but some people do enter races with the sole aim of 'just getting round' how everlong it takes them - whether they are running or walking or both - is that a good thing or a bad thing - does that go against the idea of doing your best or is that doing your best ?

maybe races like GNR and FLM do give peeps the chance the stay the distance in a way a local lower key race wouldnt because they would be so far behind the field

there are very few events for walkers who want to walk fast - not race walkers but not ramblers - and maybe 10ks halfs and maras are theonly places they can participate in an event where they can push themselves against the clock relative to ability
  • Options
    if people just want to get round they should have the common courtesy not to obstruct the runners

start at the back... walk on the left
  • Options
    I'd still say `just getting round' but in the best time possible, be it trotting, run/walk or running.

I agree with `push themselves against the clock relative to ability'. How far would you go in this? Would a 90 year old who could walk 100 metres then have to sit down for 5 mins be entitled to a place? An extreme argument I know, but you have to cut it off somewhere.

It is a RUNNING race and people should run as much of it as possible unless on a specific race walking pace.

After all, people know far enough in advance if they've got a place. If they can't be bothered doing the training to run around then don't enter.
  • Options

So should Michael Watson not have been allowed to do the FLM then ?? It took him a week, and I guess relative to the rest of us he worked as hard if not harder to achieve what he did. But like your theoretical 90 year old he probably had to sit down every 100 metres.

As I said earlier a lot of people enter the GNR and the FLM because they have a personal mountain to climb, be that to overcome disablity or raise money or just to put a stake in the ground to say - hey I can do this. Some will never do it again, but some will go on to take the sport up. If out of those 42,000 you get 1,000 people who decide that they're going to take this running thing up and really get in shape, then everyones a winner - thats 1000 people leading a healthier lifestyle, joining running clubs and gyms, buying Runners World, and so on.

C'mon guys lighten up - there'll always be people who are only in it for the beer (so to speak)and yes it can be annoying - but I think the majority enter these things in the right spirit and with the best of motives. Lets cut 'em a bit of slack.

• Options
    We've already covered most of this ground, it seems as with most things in life there are a small minority who couldn't give a t**s about anyone else.
  • Options
    I was quite shocked when i watched the GNR (have RAN it 4 times) as some people had no intention of running it as they were dressed in walking boots and trousers carrying daysacs, i think this is wrong as genuine runners have had entries returned. Yes i think people like that should stay within walking events or if they want to raise money for charities thay can organise a walking event themselves or through rambling clubs, I also moutain bike and cross country run, and have had several "not very nice comments" from walkers (mainly older ones)as i cycle past them or run past them like theres roads to do that on! well walkers your right so stay off them when running events are on them.
    well that's me had my say if i've offended anyone "hay-hoo that's life get on with it"
  • Options
    I agree Moe, we have covered most of this ground but two words keep cropping up.
    Consideration and respect - I believe both are critical in our sport.
  • Options
    I'd agree with that.

safc: I meet quite a lot of walkers when I'm out on the fells and in my workaday life In the main I've never found them to be anything but pleasant polite people.

However your experience appears to be somewhat different - and thats a shame.

I guess there are bad eggs in every basket
  • Options
    some of us both walk and run, you know! we don't change character just cos we're moving in a different way! (tho I notice that other runners NEVER say hello when I'm walking, even if I greet them first...)

What I don't understand, though, is why anyone would want to walk 13 miles on roads in Newcastle. I'm happy to run on roads but I hate walking on them for any distance! I'd far rather be walking across fields or hills - places where I wouldn't run cos I'm a wuss and afraid of spraining my ankle. If I was going to walk to raise money, I'd walk from one pub to another with some interesting scenery on the way and soft ground underfoot if possible. Walking on roads in walking boots is agony on the ankles...

• Options
    I agree with you Fell Running, its only a minority. But if runners are getting entries returned because the race is full then i dont think that is really fair. ok if the race has empty places and all the runners are in then ok let the walkers in.
  • Options
    I ran the Stockholm half marathon. On the entry form you had to state your best time in either a marathon, half marathon or the 30km cross country Lidingöloppet as a means of having your start pen assigned to you. 10km times were also allowed but that fact was hiden away away from the application form but thats a different story/moan. Anyone without a time was placed at the back.

As a result people who were going to end up walking or had dreams above their current fitness didnt cause any problems. The 3 start pens had a start time 5 mins apart which helped thin out the field making passing easier.

I cant say if they checked any of the times or just took peoples word for it but it seemed to work. Walkers were not a problem, only a few motorist who didnt seem to have noticed their was a running race going on!
  • Options
    Bryan, I ran/walked the Nike 10k (my first race, as it was for many other people) and knowing that I would be slow I put myself in the +75 minutes group, and fairly far back in that.

I had a great time in the end but the first twenty minutes or so was hell as faster runners, who had clearly arrived late for their allocated start time - as you could see from the coloured swoosh on their t-shirts - kept overtaking, and one particular girl literally elbowed me out of the way - I was on the left side of the road, and yes the road was crowded but I was being as considerate as I could be... I felt much better when I passed her about half an hour later!

Staggered starts are a good solution, as long as people are honest to themselves & they arrive on time!
  • Options
    Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    nothing against, a lot of people walk part of a race. i walked a total of around 6 miles on the nottingham marathon and i've done it on other smaller races, so nothing against it.

I usually place myself, specially on crowded events, according to my expected time, and it's annoying to see very slow people (including walkers) trying to start from the front line.