Options

Hadrian's Wall 2013

Comments

• Options

Don't know about hardcore Bees, think I'm just an idiot who doesn't know when to call it quits while he's ahead.

Forgot to say Cabbey, it was a great read. Thanks for posting link.

Here's mine. Not nearly as good as Cabbey's tho

http://inthelongrun2013.org/2013/06/24/weedy-runs-hadrians-wall-for-itlr/

• Options

I'd like to go back and do it again one day as i think with hindsight i could get down to around 13 hours now i've experienced it.

However, it may be awhile before i do return as i would like to try other events.

• Options

Nice bit of history PBAB, I was wondering why those huts were there.

Really utterly enjoyed the experience, but no way I'll be back.  Simply can't afford that again, it's cost me a fortune - which I don't regret, but just don't have that sort of disposable income every year. 

Very happy with my time and position as well, although I did laugh when I read that I was first in my category - out of 6 of us heh heh image.

Oh and after all my whinging earlier I managed to find quite a nice pic of me with Vindolanda and a bit of campsite in the background.

So, drinks all round, good health everyone, may your recoveries be rapid...

• Options

in 2012 I ran the one dayer and struggled afterwards with an injured hip that kept me out for three months, this year I pulled a hamstring before the run and nursed it throughout The run, I'm going to have to do it again, bollocks!

• Options

Nice blog Weedy - reminds me I'll have to get mine sorted... image

Know what you mean Running Man, after nursing my knee through day 2, I figure I coud do a good bit better...

• Options

Great blog Weedy. You write very well.

loving hearing all your stories. I had a mild trick of the eyes in the last few miles. Saw a subway we had to go through and said I'd be nervous on my own. The other 2 agreed and when we got to it it was just a path and not a subway at all image

did you have ITB too Bees?

• Options

Great blog Weedy - you're bang-on about not hanging around at the check points.  As I mentioned before, we were incredibly close in time - I was 5.54 on the first day and finished 13.01.44, 15 minutes and 2 places behind you!

Congratulations and good luck with your next venture with the human trafficking project.

Keep pushing!

• Options

Hi All, 

I did the challenger run with a friend, team number 20. He ran the last 7 miles with a kilt which i thought was mental but fair play he did it. Finished in 51st place in 13:44 which i'm very pleased with, had we not taken more time at the pit stops im sure we could shave 10-15minutes from that. Added if we didnt wait 15 minutes at the gate going up the hill out of vindolanda would have been even quicker (why didnt they remove that gate!!!)

I must say though a time wasnt really our priority, just to fnish without killing ourselves.

I found the second day tough especially from 20-30, chafing was becoming a problem especially in the torrential rain going up that long endless section beside the river

The feeling going out of the last pit stop at 30 miles was tremendous, and even with the crazy hailstorm going up the quayside it was quite emotional crossing the line i have to say, was all i could do not to burst into tears!

My legs are feeling surprisingly good, feet are sore but amazed how good i feel.

Not sure if i;d do another ultra at this stage, took a lot of time in training but overall very happy to have completed this challenge image

• Options

Blog is written...

Blog

Did anyone else get a hug off the marshall coming into Newburn on Day 2, or was I just in an especially dreadful state? Whichever, he chaeered me up immensely.

• Options

Oh yes !! The dark haired young guy ?!! He just grabbed me !!

i must have looked horrendous , It surprised me & cheered me up !!

they were also taking photos !!! 

I think I was having an out of body experience at the point !! 

Well done everyone , what an achievement , I've been too tired to write anything sensible on here yet !! ????

• Options

Bees - yes, got a hug from that fella - by that time i would have hugged anybody!!

• Options

Great blog Bees. Another sore knee eh? Did it hurt on the outside? Off so it might be ITB too. Mine is still very sore image

• Options

Great read there Bees.

No hug for me image

Altho I got one from Sleepy Bear at the start of day two so that more than makes up for it image

• Options

Anyone feeling a huge void now it's well and truly over?

6 months of training leading to one weekend and then it's gone.

• Options

He insisted on two hugs. Great bloke, spent a while chatting while I waited for my ankles to calm down enough to carry on. 

• Options
    Graham M wrote (see)

Anyone feeling a huge void now it's well and truly over?

6 months of training leading to one weekend and then it's gone.

Yeah - I feela  little bit erm aimless. Vary between pride and disappointment. All odd.

• Options

Jack and Graham - credit card abuse time!  Pick your next races to give you something to aim for.

I do feel a bit low as of course there's been a lot of training and time gearing towards the wall, but I also keep getting a big high.  The whole thing didn't disappoint (except the catering at Vindolanda) so I'm pretty happy most of the time.  The flat bit is going back to work, although saying that, a lot of people sponsored me and they asked how I got on.  I think they were expecting me on crutches or similar though - they seem a bit disappointed that I'm upwardly mobile!

Feeling a bit of a void due to not getting a hug though!!

• Options

Completely void. Grumpy because "resting" and need a new challenge...like now! 

Fantastic looking at all the finishers photos...everyone looks so exhilerated! Randomly someone has commented on mine saying they remember I was mint...wondering if I met this person in my singing miles???  Went through "I did it my way"  tho "I am what I am" and finished with a bit of "phantom of the opera" 

• Options

What you need is a challenge like this

• Options

EKGO did you sign up for the Grim Reaper? 

Think I'm going to feel deflated one the Reaper is done. Need to start looking at ultras for later in the year I think.  

• Options

Haha.... I was tempted there Weedy... I was!

Ive had a very flat and deflated week. I'm entering the Thames 100 tomorrow when entries open (for May next year) And I'm doing a 24 hour race in 7 weeks. Still feel completely flat though.

• Options

Here you go Richard ((( )))  and Weedy you're welcome! Always got a spare hug for a cheery person... image

Ahhhh RaRa - you passed us - I remember those tights now! 

• Options

Cabbey - the 24-hour one the Thunder Run?

Bees - what's the top secret race on your blog? Goan, you can tell us, we won't blab image

• Options

I'm feeling the void too ???? even worse at the moment feeling the DOMs , second time Any advice welcome . Crazy pain !!! Grrrrr

• Options

Haha Weedy, nice one.

Thanks Sleepy Bear, muchly needed.

Cabbey is the TP100 the Centurion one?  I marshalled for them earlier this year for NDW50 and will do for Winter 100 - if you marshal you get free entry next year.  The food seemed pretty good, although whether they cater for vegans I'm not sure.

RaRa, not sure how you managed to sing when running!  Were you the one with flowery running leggings?

• Options

lizzie - a gentle swim and a sauna help me a lot with DOMS when i get them - fortunately my legs were OK after the Wall

• Options
    John MacKenzie 2 wrote (see)

EKGO did you sign up for the Grim Reaper? 

Think I'm going to feel deflated one the Reaper is done. Need to start looking at ultras for later in the year I think.  

I didn't bother with it John, my wife is screaming for a holiday, my next ultras are Bideford 50k, JW ultra 50k both Sept, and of course the ebst Born to Run again next year. I'll also be looking to sign up for a new one in May 2014 a 24 hour run, and of course I'll pop the wall down again for my hatrick

• Options

Thank you Oscarr !!

i got it Wednesday , now again ! been stretching & using a foam roller everyday . Went to sauna , steam room yesterday !! reaching for some painkillers now & chocolate ! 

• Options

Yeah, I'm feeling a slight void now it's all over.  I've been getting silly ideas after watching the Badwater run documentary, and reading the Bob Graham round thread!  I'm not sure if I will be allowed to sign up for one so soon, since I'm still lying here injured.  I think my wife might put her foot down and remember the pain longer than I will!