Options

The Grim Reaper 2013

Comments

• Options
    I have to cram it in, if I get to a level I can manage a few long runs, but once I drop off I tend to stay off and it takes me a while to catch up
  • Options
    Never done an ultra, so a what are your long training runs for a 100 miler. And how long should you have been running, before attempting some thing crazy like that. Cheers lee
  • Options
    Seems like most of you guys do substantialy more training than I ever could, hats off to you guys, well done,I did very little training last year for the wall after a six year lay off, my hip is well on the way out and i somehow succumbed to having kidney stones (ouch)in fact I only did one fifteen mile run and one marathon distance run over ten miles, most of my training is at lunch time from work and rarely above 45 mins long but now I'm getting older (46) I don't tend to struggle with distance as much but am much,much slower but time on feet is easier,the100 miler will be very difficult with the cut off, been and purchased a Water rower to cross train , hopefully start the running in the next couple of days too.....
  • Options
    Anybody used the salomon rx s-lab recovery shoes? Trying to get a pair of size 9.5 in black and failing miserably so any links would be appreciated, found my feet swelled badly after the wall run so want a pair for before and after the GrimReaper 100.
  • Options

I don't think it gets full fast EKGO. Think they just close the entries a couple of weeks before.....Did you like Liverbird? 

• Options
    Hi Ria yes it was good I enjoyed it although the second day I wouldn't have managed it as I went out in the end
  • Options

i ran the first grimthorpe ultra when there was just the 70 mile option. its a great event - very laid back,but then most ultras are aren't they? image

I'm aiming for the 100 this year as it'll be my first attempt and fancy those 10 mile loops again.

• Options

Second day was WINDEEEEE EKGO! image

It doesn't seem that far off now we are in 2013! image

• Options

Thinking about this for August as a third Ultra this year (managed 2 marathons last year without too

much trouble).

But which distance?   Averaging 40-45 a week at the moment (A 20 miler on a Saturday). But interested in how to handle the lack of sleep as think could do 70 OK.

• Options

Practise going without sleep Steve! If you are fast you won't lose much sleep anyway! It's only slow buggers like me that take a full day to do the 70! And I went straight from 26 to 70....but there wasn't the 40 option in 2011....Think I would have done the 40 first, had the option been there....But no regrets, & SO glad I went straight to 70.

• Options
    I have done a couple of 24 hour races. I didn't practice going without sleep . Having said that I tend not to sleep very well and regularly wake several times in the night unable to get back to sleep for ages so maybe my poor sleep patterns have been good training!

Someone asked about Solomon recovery shoes. Do you mean the rx slide ? I have them they are realty comfy
  • Options

Thanks Guys- do like my sleep but do fancy a dark run so its 70 or 100 for me.

• Options

Judging by the number of people stopping for a long sleep during Thunder Run 24 hour solo, I'd say a lot of people find running for an entire 24 hours quite hard....Not just because it's hard on your body being on your feet that long....but because of lack of sleep too. Maybe a lot depends on the individual, & age too. Younger people seem to find it easier to stay up all night. But there's quite a difference between just being able to stay up, & keeping running! As soon as it goes dark you just feel sleepy. Even if you don't normally. I wouldn't personally recommend doing a 24 hour race if you've never tried saying up that long.....You need to know how it feels...

• Options

Anyone looking to do this one & wants to share advice, stories, future race plans, etc, feel free to add yourself to my ultra group, the "Grimsthorpe Massive" on Facebook.

It was initially set up to discuss the Grim Reaper ultras last summer, but all ultra runners, or those thinking of doing one, are welcome to join, even if you aren't doing this race.......Whether you are an expert that can offer advice, or new to ultras wanting to ask a question.

Tell us about the races you've done, training ideas, how your cat is, etc!!!!!

If you want info on the race there's all kinds of bits & bobs......training ideas, photos, race reports, etc, if you scroll back to last year....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/371928772827520/

• Options

It refuses to turn into a link! You'll have to copy & paste!

Grimsthorpe Massive

https://www.facebook.com/groups/371928772827520/

• Options
    I think this 24 hour thing is strange really and I worried about feeling tired and wanting to sleep as I am an early to bed person and hate stopping out late. I hate getting up early too I like my bed!

I have done 2 x 24 hour events and didn't stop at either of them for a sleep or even an extended break. I don't know why I didn't feel I had to, maybe because I had a goal I wanted to meet, maybe adrenaline. Now obviously a sleep would have been nice just like in a marathon a rest would be nice at half way. Don't get me wrong I felt tired but was able to keep going ( just!)

Thinking about it after I am wondering if it is because I don't sleep very well at night, I like my bed, like early nights, late mornings etc BUT I don't sleep very well, wake up loads take ages to get to sleep etc. so I wonder if I coped not too badly because I am used to lack of sleep? Took on caffiene in the night too which helped I think
  • Options

Interesting thought.....that if you aren't a good sleeper maybe you find the 24 hour races easier.....I tend to wake every few minutes....But also found the 24 hour races ok with no stopping or resting. 

As soon as it goes dark on an ultra I do find myseld getting sleepy, when normally I wouldn't.....But could keep going ok...

I just didn't even consider stopping on the three I've done....I think if a race is that important you'll just carry on whatever! 

• Options

Caffeine I guess helps (you can always eat the granules to keep yourself awake). Down for the 100 miles and trying to get my pace and time on feet right.

Aiming for 5.5-6mph. Did a 4:30 marathon at Pitsford and had loads to spare. Finding it as hard to run 6mph pace as 8mph but guess just need to practice. I have 2 other ultras (Coventry & Northants) and 2 marathons in my training before August.

As a first timet, not going to rush- try and take it easy and make the discipline of running consitsently my target.

• Options

I def want to do the 100 next year. 26 hours not enough time for me yet! So I've entered one with 36 hours! That's more like it!!

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Boing!

I've just entered the 40 miler and am thoroughly over excited image

• Options

image She's been eating sugery sweets again.

Inportant question where's the nearest pub? image

• Options

Hi everyone,

I'm new here ... so please be gentle/harsh/rough with me ... (circle all three).  I'm looking at entering the 40 miler as my first venture into Ultra running.  Done 3 Ironman Triathlon events so got some fitness somewhere, but never run (or walk-run) over 26 miles before.  Doing a stand-alone marathon in early July.  

Any hints-tips for the a UR first timer?  Do people carry their own food or just leave it in the tent?

Thanks

Pete

• Options

Pete in the same boat as yourself, I have done a ultra before but was a long time ago and was more of a student laugh than anything else. Got a few good mates who have done them and they seam to use a bun bag and put lots of food in it. Asuming it's all about the mental strength and if you have IM'ed it your going to have that already. image

• Options

just entered the 70.

does anyone know if there is water/food at any point on the lap or do we need to carry enough for 10 miles.  If its a hot day that will be a lot of water for the later laps when I am slow so will determine what I use for carrying. Also tend to get quite hungry from about 35-40 miles so if nothing on the loop will prob go with rucksack

• Options

I think I'm right in saying there is only food at the 10 mile marker point?

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭

Hey folks! Just about to enter the 70 myself too! 

My first ultra of the year but I'm uses to doithing saw things slightly under prepared now!!

anyone that's done thunder run 24hr aa well as this one able to give their comparison on the similarities of the loops? I loved the thunder run course but the time as opposed to distance format didn't really suit me.. Hopefully thsavouries will be fairly similar? 

happy training!

• Options

my first ultra 40 for me,the events sold out i thinkimage

• Options

Gang they capped the entry due to ordering so many medal's they have reopened it for fulks or you contact them on there e-mail but you won't get your medal on the day if you are a late entry will be posted to you. image

• Options

Seems to be approaching fast now! How's everybody getting on? 

I don't feel ready at all  but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless  image

• Options

Don't think it will bemy finesh hour but still it's going to get me out of the house. Little worried by the weather might make it a bit hot.