Options

Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

They have been the best (i have about 4 pairs) but I also have gore, rubbishy nike and karrimor ones, some 1000 mile double layer anti blister ones (possibly the worst for blisters) ashmei merino wool ones, and injinji toe socks

• Options

Don't forget the post-marathon drinks!  I think iain was on the case...

Fyi new people to the thread., emmy is bonkers and does a marathon every other wknd.   Us mer mortals don'timage luv ya ems.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Icarian - I use 1000 Mile socks and they've been the best yet. For winter I wear a pair of merino wool ones and they don't blister but they do roast your feet nicelyimage

ooh - if Iain is already on the case - that's great.

RS - I'm a mere mortal.... Just with a slightly different view of marathon schedulesimage

• Options

on socks, I tried 1000 mile double layer but found they were a bit hot and didn't wash too well.  Now I'm on Wright socks.  They're awesome!

Emmy - slightly different?  yeah...slightly towards the bonkers end of the scale.  I THINK Iain is on to it...don't quote me on that though.

• Options

ahaha if Emmy can do a marathon every other weekend I cant really moan when I have to do a long run!

• Options

Can anyone recommend some nipple guards for men with hairy chests?

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

I use Hilly Mono Skin socks and never had a problem.

I also use Body Glide on my nips and it seems to do the trick. There is also Vaseline but I think it may mark your clothes.

I know some people use micropore (I think) tape - available from chemists.

• Options
    Julesowen wrote (see)

Hi guys, I'm new to this thread - I'm feeling all your pain - calves, hip flexors and lost mojo! I'm trying to convince myself that I'm just going to run it for the experience and not worry about the time but secretly I know that's crap coz I really want to get under the 4 hour mark!  Donkey 388 - have you tried Nipple Guards - my other half swears by them after a very nasty 'nipple hanging off incident' a couple of months ago.  I've not used calf guards - I do sometimes wear compression socks as do get tight calves but maybe I'll give them a go.  My running style has changed as my pace has improved and I run much more on my toes but my calves do get tight this way - anyone else suffer like this?

Anyway - good to be on the thread - see you all in Berlin!image

Julesowen - Nipguards are great.

Radar Sal wrote (see)

Don't forget the post-marathon drinks!  I think iain was on the case...

Fyi new people to the thread., emmy is bonkers and does a marathon every other wknd.   Us mer mortals don'timage luv ya ems.

I'm not on the case - anyone who knows a good restaurant for the night before, please advise?

I think anywhere on Berlin you can find excellent bevs for the Sunday.

Orbutt wrote (see)

I use Hilly Mono Skin socks and never had a problem.

I also use Body Glide on my nips and it seems to do the trick. There is also Vaseline but I think it may mark your clothes.

I know some people use micropore (I think) tape - available from chemists. 

Orbutt - the vaseline incident last year has meant I could not look at my Berlin photos ... Very annoying - hence the nipguards!

• Options

Iain- So we're not eating at the same place as last year on the Saturday?

Just pulled a muscle in my upper back doing weights and it hurts when I breathe, if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have none.

That'll be us into the monster month of training before the tapper. Good to see the thread is starting to gather a bit of momentum as we start the count down to Berlin. A big welcome to all the new guys and I hope that some of the injuries are starting to get better of some of the regulars.

• Options

Beer - last year a few of us met at Brahaus Georgbraeu, on the bank of the Spree near Alexander Platz. Large beer garden and food.

http://www.georgbraeu.de/default.aspx?alias=www.georgbraeu.de&lang=en-GB

• Options

Stephen - the Georgbeau is a good choice for the Sunday. 

David - sorry to hear about the muscle pull. I thought we could go better than that place last year? Specifically some place with bigger helpings?!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Small helpings? - Rejectimage

• Options

Yeah Orbutt the portion size was no good for world class athletes like me and Iain.

Stephen- me and Iain seemed to miss everyone last year at the Georgbeau last year. The food and beer was good there as well. The fact that we're talking about pre-race carb loading and post-marathon beers only means that the race is just round the cornerimage

• Options
    The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

Hadn't thought of breathing exercises Emmy.  Thankfully my cut-back week seems to be helping just now.

Got a half on Sunday but am so under-motivated just now, have eaten my own body weight in biscuits and Mars Bar ice creams this week.  Reckon Sunday will be the heaviest I've lined up on a start line in well over a year.  Reckon I'll be about ten mins over my PB time, so definitely just a training race!

Amazing to think Berlin is getting so close now.  I reckon I might have to look at just getting round now, not sure I have an endurance base to go for a time.  Might be quite nice to just go run a marathon with no time targets mind.

• Options

Monk - did that in paris and had a ball.

Okay, so seems like there's people on the case for Berlin meetings. Good work. Seems like you've got my requirements sorted.  Beer and food for post.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    donkey388 wrote (see)

ahaha if Emmy can do a marathon every other weekend I cant really moan when I have to do a long run!

Yeah, but I have a weird way of running them... Normally beer is involvedimage

Radar Sal wrote (see)

Monk - did that in paris and had a ball.

Why thank you.... We did have a great time singing and dancing our way through the Paris landmarks!

for post race stuff - I like food, beer and a chairimage

• Options

Food - not my area of expertise. There's a place called Trattoria Venezia in Kreuzberg with large pizzas or Ali Baba near Savignyplatz. If all else fails Vapiano.

I had a vague plan of cooking the free pasta in the goody bag at my hostel

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

My nephew lives in Berlin, so I've asked him for advice.

His suggestion is a place called Spaghetti  Western on Torstrasse. "It's pretty central and the food is great, although the service is not great."

Does anyone know it? IM2 & DW - this wasn't where you ate last year, was it?

• Options

I've injured my ankle =.= this thread is cursed!

Can anyone recommend a way for me to train while still allowing my ankle to heal? I was thinking spending a large amount of time on the bikes at the gym 

• Options

You got it donkey - do you swim too?

• Options

cheers Iain! sadly I'm not much of a swimmer!

I was thinking of doing hill work on a bike and then maybe a few sprints on a rowing machine? 

• Options

I am really struggling for motivation - i have run a grand total of just 9 miles this week.

I tried a speed session yesterday and got my pacing all wrong... at least i know i can do a 5:35 mile though.

• Options
    The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

Donkey, I should imagine a combination of bike and rower will maintain cardio fitness for you.

Half for me tomorrow at 10am.  Got a cold, have got a ache in my right oblique (most probably from the gym) and am not as fit as I can be...  But I'm still gonna go there and enjoy myself.  I reckon if it's a good day I can still sneak out my 4th best ever HM time.

Done some maths just now and have realised that for this training compared to my three other marathons at the same point I am 130 miles down on #3, 95 miles down on #1 and a whopping 170 miles down on #2.  I guess there's no point in trying to catch up a little with so few weeks left to go.

• Options

Good luck donkey with the cross-training. Fingers crossed you'll be back on your feet in no time. 

Good luck with the half monk... i hope you do get to enjoy it

• Options
    donkey388 wrote (see)

cheers Iain! sadly I'm not much of a swimmer!

I was thinking of doing hill work on a bike and then maybe a few sprints on a rowing machine? 

I think that's a pretty good idea donkey, hopefully this will maintain your fitness until you can get back out there.

Motivation sadly lacking here too Ciaran - sounds like you got some speed on tap though! I enjoyed parkrun for the forst time in months yesterday but still trying to motivate myself to get out this morning for LSR!

• Options

Just back from a 12 mile run in which I really felt the missed training through injury. Managed to average 8:21 per mile and if it wasn't for my training partners positivity throughout I wouldn't have completed the run. Still think that Berlin is going to be a tall order, but I'll wait to see where I'm at at the end of August.

Hope everyone who is running/racing today has a good one.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Ok - I think we need to get some mojo going.

I'll start. Today I did my 5th run in a week - to a total of 32km.

I did just under 10k today when, according to my plan, I should have done 32k. And it felt hard.

However, I'm running. In 7 weeks I'm going to be running around Berlin. 

Would we do it if it was easy? I doubt it.

We do it because we're a bit nuts. We do it because we want to challenge ourselves. We do it because we want to push ourselves to our limits and sometimes beyond.

And the only people who really understand why we do it are fellow runners - like you lot.

We know the hopes, fears, pains and joy of running.

So, ask yourself "why do I run?"

Think about your best run and how it felt. Remember the work you had to put in to achieve that. 

If your run is hard, it's not because you're rubbish it's because you are working hard.

If you feel slow, it's because you want to go faster.

if you find it hard to get out the door and get going - remember, all of this is getting you closer to the start line.

BERLIN  - go for it