Options

Berlin Marathon 2013

1545556575860»

Comments

• Options

it has gone quiet here - thanks everyone but it's time to move on to pastures new - London sub 3 and boston threads. hope everyone has a good winter and get their pbs come spring, cheers

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Paris starts here.....

• Options

hi all - im glad to see im not the only one that hasnt started running again! back to it tomorrow night at the track, getting some speed back into the legs i hope now, but reflecting after two weeks or so, looking at the photos, loved that marathon, has got me looking around for others to enter again now - didnt get london, so it looks like belfast again this year for me, and maybe another autumn one if anyone has any recommendations!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Jason - We have plenty of recommendations! What takes your fancy? Big city? Local feel? Lot of support? Which month? Give us some guidance and we can come up with some suggestions.

• Options

emmy - im not sure what to do now, Berlin was my first "major" and first outside of home country, so I think i like the idea of another big one or one with a lot of support - would prefer summer months in any given country, maybe end of summer to give a few months training after may - even early autumn (im opening the door to berlin again...ballot aside!)

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Jason: Here's a few:

• Cologne. German efficiency - mid september next year and great support on the course and flat as a pancake with a great finish at the Dom. Fantastic aid stations
    • Munich. Same as above. Mid September
    • Amsterdam: Flat, PB course - can be a little dull along the canal with not too much support along the course: Mid October
    • Tallinn: September. Up and coming marathon. Cheap and I've heard great things about it from friends that have visited.
    • Frankfurt: End of October. Flat, PB course. Lots of support. I'll be doing it this weekend so can give you more advice then.
    • Dublin: End of October. Known for being a huge party with great support
  • Options

I'm sold on snowdon marathon, looks incredible. Forgot about the watch and just enjoy. 

• Options

Emmy - thanks for the ideas - like the look of Amsterdam, Munich and Dublin!  Could plan out the next few years here! have always heard dublin is a good one, but I prefer weather more like that in Berlin this year, perhaps a degree or two higher, whereas i suppose most autumn marathons can be a bit nippy! 

I loved berlin, as i mentioned it was a world apart from belfast - having done berlin yourself and many others, how does it compare to other ones out there?  Hopefully have a few more left in me, would like to make them something comparable to berlin!

Good luck this weekend in frankfurt, I couldnt even contemplate another marathon this soon after the last one! 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Jason - I think it all depends what you're looking for and what you want from a race.

For a big city race - it was average. the poor organisation on bag drop really let it down but then again other races have similar niggles - Paris takes an age to get over the line, london congestion is quite bad etc.

I prefer the smaller races - i like being able to run and get into my pace quickly but the downside of this is limited crowd support. All of my PBs were previously run on small local courses because I could relax and get into a pace and control it more.

The issue with autumn marathons is that you cant predict the weather or be assured of it. I run the cologne half every year and in the past 5 years we've had:

• Blistering sun (25c at 9am)
    • Snow
    • Rain
    • Wind and Rain
    • Cold.
  • Options

Hi all

Just did the Yorkshire Marathon, 3 weeks after Berlin, and really enjoyed it, more than I expected!

It was smallest of the 3 I've done (Paris was 1st), less than 4000 finishers, perhaps that's why it felt like a better run with less crowd apart from at the start, not surprisingly.

It claimed to be 'an exceptionally flat course - flatter than London, Paris and New York'. Don't believe them! I can say that Berlin was definitely flat, York was a lot tougher as a course!

It was very well organised, the crowd support was amazing! Plenty of volunteers who were all very supportive.

It was so tough during the run I told myself I'm not doing it again. Changed my mind since, and can't wait to do next years!

• Options
    EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Morning and hope all are well.

I have a 'sorry' in my Inbox re Berlin Marathon ballot 2014...will check Paris status(quietly as on holiday with my mother who thinks I should retire from  things) and try to last out till the final rejection on 15th.

Gosh such disappointment whilst on holiday....well it's ruined my lie in!image

• Options

I have a sorry in my inbox too but will go with one of the 2 UK travel companies. 

Does anyone know if the Berlin route is very congested? Really want to get my 4hour or sub 4hour marathon there next yearimage.

Thanks!

Nathalie

• Options

Before committing to a charity place (unless you really want to, of course), remember that there's at least one more ballot (perhaps 2, I can't remember) to allocate places that are awarded to people in the first round who then decide not to take them up. I reckon there will be quite a few of those as people tend to sign up with enthusiasm but then get cold feet when asked to stump up the cash -- or perhaps they just decide on another race. It's fairly soon as I think the first round 'winners' only get a few days to confirm the place.

• Options
    Nathalie Rees wrote (see)

I have a sorry in my inbox too but will go with one of the 2 UK travel companies. 

Does anyone know if the Berlin route is very congested? Really want to get my 4hour or sub 4hour marathon there next yearimage.

Thanks!

Nathalie

It's a big race with 35K+ runners so yes, it is pretty congested. Depends a lot on where you are in the field I guess. I plodded the race this year and never had any trouble with crowds, but I was right at the back. If you can be near the front of the mass start, then you have a good chance of a PB I reckon.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Natalie - if you dont have a sub 4 time already you will struggle as it was very congested. I ran a total of 44km because of swerving etc. I have done a better time and race at frankfurt - a month later. Id recommend that instead to shoot for

• Options

Emmy H - what wave did you start in? Were you running much faster than your allocated pen's time range?

My Garmin distance for last week's Dublin Marathon was 26.31 miles - I made a conscious effort to avoid swerving and run the apex of bends as much as possible (without cutting up those behind me!). Worst over-distance I've experienced was the 2012 Great North Run when I found myself running at a faster pace than most of my starting pen - this year at the GNR, I was across the line within 45 secs of the gun, found myself amongst similar-paced runnerrs and swerving was minimal.

I've just paid up for Berlin 2014 after being successful in the ballot. image 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Alwyn,

For Berlin I was in H despite having a faster PB that would have put me in G

• Options

Hi people - I've just been reading back a bit looking at your comments. I entered the 2014 ballot and got a congratulations email. So paid my money, but it is a long way from NZ and very costly so will have to see how I go.

Interesting - a few were saying how many Danish people were running the event -  I am a 2nd generation NZer, but my paternal grandfather was Danish so maybe I should wear a Danish T/shirt but then again, I wouldn't know what they were sayingimage

I will follow this thread with interest.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi NZ Christine - welcome but I think you'll be better to follow the 2014 thread whenever it gets set up (if it hasnt been done already).

There was A LOT of danish people and in my opinion they were the most represented nationality (or they were all in danish colours and shirts!).

Enjoy Berlin and the training around it!

• Options

Thanks Emmy - I haven't seen a 2014 thread yet.

• Options

Thanks Emmy H ! I have entered Berlin now as I really want to complete the World Six. I swerved a lot in Tokyo in 2010 so will remember not to do so in Berlinimage

• Options

EHN wrote (see)

Morning and hope all are well.

I have a 'sorry' in my Inbox re Berlin Marathon ballot 2014...will check Paris status(quietly as on holiday with my mother who thinks I should retire from  things) and try to last out till the final rejection on 15th.

Gosh such disappointment whilst on holiday....well it's ruined my lie in!image

Come on! Get yourself into to Paris, you know it makes sense! image

• Options
    EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Ha ha ..my decision making has turned pretty much a long the lines of my running....slow but I get there in the end  ..JB,RS & Orbutt Paris here I comeimage . Will head over to the Paris thread in a couple off weeks (need that long for reality to sink in...could take weeks..months!!).

Till then!! 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Well done EHN!!! image Welcome to the madhouse!

• Options
    EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Thanks Emmy...I look forward to it ..the madhouse not the event!!image

• Options

You people are crazy!image

I've not gone for the Berlin 2014 ballot place - but I hope to be back for 2015.

See you there!

• Options

Berlin Marathon in 2015, that sounds like a good idea Iain!