Options

Amsterdam 2013

Comments

• Options

Meanwhile I didn't know whether to post it here, but what the hell...

My boyfriend proposed to me at the Amsterdam Olympic Stadium yesterday... On the track.... Hopefully this is a good omen for you all.  Good things happen there!!!

It also looks like I'll be here to watch and support.  A general questions (as it'll depend on parking etc), but at what point do you generally need support/ words of encouragement/ a good kicking?  Was thinking about the 37/8k point?  Also what do you need?  Will take requests!!!

• Options

Thanks H!

I think support is (even more) welcome anywhere from 25km! 

• Options

Congratulations! A large Union Jack flag please. Did wonders for morale in Rome at around 20 miles!

• Options

Almost sorted my accommodation, just travel to book now.

Also just put in for Paris next year, so be good to see as many of you either in Dam or Pariee! 

• Options

Flags and banners go without saying i-plodder image  Will try and track down a loudhailer and maybe even a ghetto blaster with something ghastly on repeat, ha ha.  Gels, sweeties, vodka and beer (for us and any runner who needs it), plasters, muscle rub etc etc...

• Options

Congratulations H...... Let us know where you are and we will give you a wave back!

• Options

Congratualtion H!!

Will be over for the half again this year

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Congratulations!!

• Options

Firstly, congratulations H.

My spare space for this event (girlfriend unable to take part) has been given to Slinkz1006.

That said, a friend has today learnt he has to relocate to Malaysia for work and so his space is also available.

As with Slinkz, we just want this space to go to a willing runner, so a word of thanks and a beer will suffice (no other payment required).

If it can be put to 'good use', please let me know.

• Options

Congratulations H.image

• Options

Been a bit busy to get on here the last week or so , reading back looks like everyone is getting prepared however certainly some unorthodox training plans out there , 

it just shows that everyone has different training regimes which work around time available , Injurys ect , I done my last 20 miler last weekend and will do a17 or 18 mile run on Sunday and will taper now , as far as I am concerned te hard work is over and it's time to recover , 

interested to find out if other people have specific marathon shoes or do you wear the same as they train in ?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Dean - you should wear the shoes you train in and have nothing new on race day. Im currently in the dilemma that im changing shoes and my new ones have 50km in them but my others have 600 and are coming to the end of their lives.

You should try to wear everything for the race in a 20 miler to make sure that it fits properly and doesnt chaff/cause issues

• Options

An excellent 20miler this morning running the sunny lanes of West Lancs again.  I needed that after last week's shocker.

I agree with Emmy - I went out today wearing exactly what I intend to wear on race day - socks, shoes, top, shorts, back pack and gels (see earlier post).  I also took imodium before the run - I've been close to a having some horrors stories on race day.  Basically, today was a dress rehearsal and it went fab so I'm made up.

Taper time!!

• Options

Wow!  You guys are on fire, and thanks for the nice messages.

Down to earth with a bump for me.  Went for a run this morning and wiped out in front of a pile of people.  Buggered hands and knees and broken rib.  It never rains...  Stay upright all!!!

• Options

H  sorry to hear about your spill , was it wet? 

Sweatysock well done on the 20 miler rehearsal run , it's a great feeling once the last long one is complete ,

i just got back from an 18 miler , done my last 20 last week , felt really good especially the last few miles after taking a caffeine gel .

Emma H   Hear what you say about the shoes , my problem is  I prefer a lighter shoe for racing and my  race shoes are a bit worn and don't want to run a marathon therefore I have purchased a new pair which I am wearing in right now , wore them today and they were fine although I had taped up my small toes to avoid any blisters 

• Options

Holla, as organised as ever... I've got my entry sorted, booked accommodation.. Just looking at travel options - aside from the usual budget airlines is there any recommended tips? I'm even considering driving it as I'm London based so not overly far

• Options

H - Hope you are ok!

Managed 19 miles on saturday and felt ok and kept the pace up.

Dean, I have race shoes for marathons that i try and run fast and my training shoes for normal marathons. Not sure what to wear for amsterdam.... Was going to use my training shoes due to my lack of training but stepped it up in last few weeks so may use race shoes.

Slinkz - booked mine ages ago ....so not sure!

• Options

Emmy, 600 miles!!!! Barely worn in. The amount of miles you must do you must be buying new running shoes every few weeks!

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Emmy... the ones I am likely to race in have easily 500 miles on them. If they are comfy then dont worry about it image

• Options

Well done on all the training guys, I wish H a speedy recovery.

600 miles and taking it through to 626, I thought I was bad in thinking of wearing the same shoes in Amsterdam as I did in Brighton despite training in them since as well!

I thrashed out a 22 miler, had to stop to stretch out hip/thigh area a couple of times and for a toilet break but despite this I felt really strong and ran my marathon pace miles at an average of 7:21 which was a little faster than I had wanted but I had a rhythm and did not spend too much time looking at the watch. This was a flatter course than last week. 

Taper time will be focusing on nursing niggles and making absoutely sure my hip/thigh will be on that start line in Amsterdam with me.

• Options

Blimey Goalpost - you looking at going sub 3!!!!

• Options

Wenty - err no. I really cannot ever see myself targeting sub-3. I am thinking that this was the first weekend of running without having covered the cycling beforehand so I was probably fresher in that sense. I am also worried as to whether I may have peaked too early but in a little under three weeks I will find out.

Have to admit I am suddenly feeling good about this race even though I am expecting it to be wet and  windy in Amsterdam.

• Options

Goalpost - but 7:21 pace equates to approx 3:12 marathon and you can always shave a bit off on race day. Thats seriously quick for long run training pace!!!!

• Options
    SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Sorry to chime in again and change the subject slightly, but could anyone tell me with their previous experience how easy it is to travel from the airport based hotels to the race start on the Sunday morning?? The last thing I want is too be stressed on the Sunday due to either trains/trams not working or not starting until later on.

Is it a fairly straight foreward journey on the metro from the airport or is there a more dircet way to get there? any help greatly received and if anyone is staying at other airport hotels i'd be happy to travel in together?

Cheers

Simon

• Options

Dutch public transport is pretty comprehensive and reliable, even on a Sunday, so getting from Schiphol should be straightforward.  You can plan your route here: http://9292.nl/en/

I've ran Amsterdam 3 times and live in Leiden, which is about 15 mins by train south of Schiphol.  I've always taken the train that passes through Schiphol to "Amsterdam Zuid" ( 8 mins ), then crossed over to Metro 50 for 1 stop, and then the 5 min walk to the start.  Just follow the crowds image.  You can also take a bus from directly outside Schiphol - every 15 mins and a 15 minute journey.

Which hotel are you in?  Presumably you'll be in Amsterdam on Saturday to practise the route?

• Options
    SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Cheers Cloggs, as yet - I havent booked into a hotel, just looking at options available and I'll be booking it this morning. My main thought is how far the hotel would be from the station at  the airport itself - but maybe a cab ride will suffice for that part.

I'm getting into Amsterdam from London Saturday morning, so should have a practise run on Saturday.

• Options

H - congratulations on the engagement image (at least I assume you said yes) Broken rib's not so much fun image

Slinkz - I tried to get a bus from the airport to the start last year and ended up in a horrible mess because of the road closures. I'd say take the trains as they're unaffected by road closures. It'll be exactly the same route as the one you need to take to get to the expo on the Saturday.

• Options
    SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Is the expo close to the Olympic stadium then? Thanks all for the help btw

• Options

Yep, it's only 200m between the Expo and Stadium if you take the footbridge, and maybe a few hundred meters more to get inside to the start pens.  Less than a mile from the Amstelveenseweg Metro to the start.

• Options
    SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Okay so last question (for now). Would anyone be able to hazard a guess at the time taken on the Metro from the Gaasperplas Metro station to the Zuid station for the start??