Options

Amsterdam 2013

Comments

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Cheers Emmy. That is the one I emailed yesterday, but I'm impatient and was hoping I'd have had a response already image How long did they take to get back to you?

• Options

Emmy  - I can push you over at the start of Amsterdam if you like? image

and its actually more like 1000EUR per marathon trip!!!! (£800) image

• Options

Just talking to a work collegue who lives in Amsterdam and he said that weekend is really busy as there is a big ADE dance festival on.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Wenty - It's ALWAYS really busy. Last year there was enough conference on.

Please don't push me over.. you might regret it. For the first 20km of the marathon last week I was ready to murder the guy that did it... then the last 20km I was kinda grateful.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

So.. this might be a good time to discuss goals. What sort of times are we all looking for and is anyone looking for someone to run with/chat to along the route?

Perhaps we could have a few runners running together for support if they need/want it.

• Options

Yeah but after the marathon we can party and dance all night!!!! image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Wenty - I'm currently planning post race drinkies. I'll also be suggesting a pre-race photo opportunity for the thread image

• Options

Good call Emmy!

Since everyone's getting their race packs is it time to start getting a list together of names (forum and real), numbers and any special requests.  We should be at km 37-8 TBC.  No request a silly one!!!

Post race drinks we usually ended up in The Hole In The Wall on Leidesplein as it's central, big enough you can normally find seats etc and as it's an Irish pub you can go in your sweats and nobody bats at eye.  Does that help? image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

H - are you same H that knows Pabs? Sorry for the really random question!

I've just been sorting out arrangements with a few friends for Saturday afternoon. My suggestions for a relaxing boat tour are being overruled by Anne Frank's house and the pub!

• Options

I was panicking that I was in the pink pen, but it turns out I'm colour blind and I'm actually in the correct pen - Orange.  Phew.

Wenty/Emmy - I was in Berlin last year too.  One of the best experiences I've ever had. If Hamsterjam comes anywhere close to that then it'll be excellent.

Definitely want to do Berlin again in a couple of years.  

Wenty - did you say there's a ballot for next year?  Last year was 1st come 1st served.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Sweaty - yep. Wenty is right. Due to demand - its ballot from next year.

Nowt wrong with the pink pen... in fact i dont remember them checking last year but i could be wrong

• Options

Nowt wrong with pink if you can better 3:30.  I'd be flattened in the stampede.

• Options

That's me Emmy image  ((Whispers - RW Forumites Fbk))  Anyway Pabs is legend.  

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I get confused between forumite names and real lifeimage 

• Options

Oh and boat tour worthwhile, hiring a boat even better.  If you get a few people and a few beers on board it's much better than the pub.  Boaty.nl does 3 hours for around 90 euros which between 6 people (capacity) is amazing fun - if the weather holds of course.

• Options

Bloody computer, can only type one bit at a time... Anyway Ann Frank is a bit sobering but really worth seeing.  If you can, book online now however.  There's always a bit buggery queue.  If you book online you just go in the secret side door at your allotted time.  No wait.  Much easier image

• Options

'Big' buggery queue...

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

that was the plan. I need to add you on Facebook as we've started a convo about it.

plan was: arrive, expo, boat tour/ Anne frank, dinner and then drinks (hole in the wall has been mentioned). Sunday : pre race meet up, run and then drink image

• Options

All sounds jolly smart and civilised image  Let me know if you need anything, or if reprobate Pabs has it covered.  

• Options
    Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

Hi All,

had a good 12.mile taper run today , feeling happy with the way training has gone and looking forward to the 20th , 

H  that's a good tip re the boat trip , nice thing to do with out being on your feet 

how's everyone else's training gone ?

• Options

Dean, good to hear that. For me, similarly a good taper run of 13 today. Pleased that's the last 5am alarm after ten weeks of it! Training has been the usual mixed bag - followed the P&D 12/55 schedule for inspiration. 6 out of the last 10 weeks more or less went to plan. Not bad for me! Hope everyone's managed to stick in there.The excitement builds ...

• Options

Cracked out my last (second) biggy on Saturday.  20 miles at just on 4-hour race pace.  Bloody knackering!  It's going to be a tight call to get my finish time to start with a 3, but I'm hopeful.
    Will churn out a thirteen miler at some point this week and then settle down into some tapering!

• Options

Useful 2 hour run - no stops this time for stretching so the hip/glute exercises are doing some good at last, those muscles really felt like they did some work. Fortunately run was no further but with more exercising and tapering I am hopeful they will be able to handle marathon distance on Sunday week.

Robbie - I wouldn't worry about a 13 miler now as it will do more harm than good, especially after 20 miles at race pace. Taper time is all about managing the niggles and keeping the body ticking over, I am planning on a 10 miler in mid-week per my plan which is predominantly easy pace with a chunk of threshold pace for 20/25 minutes thrown in. After that it will be 10 days on easy street prior to race day.

i-plodder, I have lost 50 miles of training this time around compared to my first marathon, I feel better for it and remind myself it is better to be undertrainined than overtrained.

Anyone having to manage significant niggles in getting to the start line? Last time I was pre-occupied with a phantom niggle from 10 days out. I never feel right without something to worry about.

• Options
    SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Suitably fatigued from the RPH yesterday and looking forward to one last big - ish week this week before a taper off pre Amsterdam, I'm in for Oxford half next weekend if anyone else is out of interest?

Whats the crack with a meet as such over in Amsterdam? I'm on a bit of a whistle stop as i'm getting there Saturday morning and leaving Sunday evening (9pm) so may not be joining full celebrations but would be good to have a few post race drinks if anythings being organised? Just bear in mind I have no knowledge of Amsterdam and may need guiding to wherever it is as i'm useless outside of London!

• Options

Niggles - I always have them!!! (unless i dont run) Goalpost - I agree you need to have something to panic about! I feel better than normal this time probably due to my lack of training!

Did a 16 mile run at MP this weekend, which felt ok as i started late to my training i cant afford a 3 week taper, and i have a half marathon next week eek!

• Options

I have entered the ballot for next years Berlin marathon.... Dont mind either way, as if i dont get in i will choose another, but it is one of the best!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Once weve finalised plans ill post them here.

Re: niggles: its completely normal. I still get them the day bedore! 

As others have said - of youre nursing an injury its better to tske it easy.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

For those asking about changing pens... here was the response i received:

Dear Emmy

Unfortunately that is not possible. The racing numbers are ready, so we cannot make changes anymore.

Met vriendelijke groet/With kind regards,

Yvonne Calf

• Options

I entered the ballot for Berlin. As Wenty suggests there are plenty of alternatives so I will not be losing any sleep over it.

With all this talk of Half marathons in taper I am beginning to feel rather lazy image.

• Options

I'm feeling Tiired!!!!image