RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00



  • Carl - I tend to agree with Dave. You can obstinately carry on as normal and turn up at the start line feeling as you do now if not worse or you can give your body the room to get better.

    The real hard yards have already been done, you just need to keep things ticking over and get well at the same time. It is crappy timing but up until now your training has been immense so you have plenty of credit in the bank. 

  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

    Same as what everyone else says Carl. A week off isnt going to do you any harm, I'm sure you know that. Those with a lot more experience than us have guided us this far so they  obviously know what they are on about so I reckon we carry on listening to them. What would you tell me if I was in the same position ? Take it easy pal, you've earnt a good rest so dont beat yourself up about it 

  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

    Spoons - I've never seen a physio or sports massage person before but I'm pretty sure I've had a mild form of ITB (based on info off tinterweb). This is how it feels again now. Previously, I have carried on running but have had my knee strapped up and it disappears after a few days. I'm a bit reluctant to go straight to a physio without leaving it a couple of days and trying to manage it myself. However, if you think I should go then I will ?

  • Everyone seems to have a niggle of some sort... My right knee is giving me a bit of jip... Guess it is just everyone's mileage building & taking its toll. Rest, rest, rest!

    Tempo Tuesday for me - 6 miles .. 1st mile w/u 8.17 pace and final five 7.48 pace...

    Ran this at a controlled test for HM pace for my race on Saturday. This pace was a pace I think I can sustain so a shot at or close to my 1.41 PB is on. However it confirms a sub 1:40 and required 7.35 pace is probably beyond me unless the magic of race day has a big effect .
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

    Ricky - race day will give you those extra few seconds per mile. What is your stratgey for the race ? All out and try and hang on or controlled first half and then go for it ?

  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭


    Dave - of course you are correct. It is rest I need and if I want to run a half decent race then rest it is going to be for the next few days. It is really tough as having trained hard during a tough winter the head has been all over the place yesterday anfd today. It is hard not to analyse everything and convince oneself that this is a disaster.

    I am going to rest again tomorrow night and if I am up to it I will run an easy 4 - 6 miles on Thursday. All being well I will do the planned 12 miler over the weekend.

    During the week next week, I will do what I planned this week i.e. a normal weeks running at normal distance and pace. One weekend out I will run an 8 miler and then run just twice marathon week itself.


  • Carter - my strategy is 7.45 pace and then try and go for it mid/later stages... however every race I do the discipline goes out the window, red mist comes down and it ends up being all out from the gun & trying to hang on!

  • Carl - everything has gone perfectly for you so far. Don't throw it all away now! As CD says. Rest, rest, rest. If in any doubt, rest some more. Get lots of sleep. Overdose on vitamins, fruit, veg, water, lemsip, probiotics, etc etc.

    Carter - do whatever you did last time to get it sorted. If in a few days it isn't, then see a professional. 

  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Will do Spoons.

    Carl - hang in there mate. Try and switch off if you can and not think about the race, easier said than done of course.

    Ricky - same as me pal. My plan on Sunday was to go 8:00, 7:45 then 7:30s. I think I went something like 7:26, 7:16 and so on. I definitely need to be more disciplined for Manchester, which I will. My thoughts for my last race were to go for it and try and hang and if I didn't then I wasn't too bothered. 7:45s are 1:41 so you're not far off breaking 1:40
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

    Evening all.

    Hope we are all feeling well today.

    The white stuff made a brief appearance in not so sunny Sheffield this morning but soon disappeared. The forecast for this weekend is not good with more on the way.

    I'm due a MLR this evening but cant make my mind up if I should do it or not. My knee is feeling ok but I guess could start giving me some grief again. As we are getting to the business end of things maybe an extra day off would be the wisest thing to do ? 

  • Snow here this morning also (about 2 inches in fact) - all gone by mid morning thankfully.

    Carter -A day off will not do you harm I wouldn't have thought - will give the knee a chance.

    Similar dilemma here - I have just done 5.5 miles this evening including a 8 x 250 hill session followed by 2.5 miles progressive run starting from MP finishing at HMP. I also had a tempo session last night. I have a 6 miler scheduled in for tomorrow evening but given my HM is on Saturday morning I was thinking I would be better to skip it and have two full days rest (fri is rest day anyway) before the race? It Would also rest the knee which has been a bit niggly.

    Or should I go out and do an easy run to keep the legs loosened up?
  • Carter - have a day off. Sounds like a physio would be a good idea. 

  • Ricky - either rest or very short and easy. 

  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    You are probably right Spoons. I went for a run tonight, about 8 miles @ 9:45, and it was still giving me some jip. It's ok when I stop running but obviously I will be running a marathon soon ! I will sort out a sports massage as soon as is possible. Not really sure of the difference between having a massage and seeing a physio ?
  • Hi all

    Sounds like everybody has been in the wars a little bit these last few days, fingers crossed a bit of rest or physio will set you straight.

    Well after the weekends HM efforts I have had two runs and apart from a little niggle in the calf that was playing up last week I am back into the swing of things. My first run was a little test of the water on Tuesday, I am a Run Director for the Parkrun that we are starting this weekend in Colchester so I ran 4 miles to the commitee meeting and then the 4 miles back afterwards at avg 8:39 pace. Wednesday I did a sprint session in the company of Mrs O who has well and truly got the racing bug now after her HM effort so that was 7 miles, 2miles jog, 6x400m with 400 recovery and 2 miles @ 9:01.

    Today is a 9 mile MLR before a rest day and then 18 on Saturday. Sunday is the Parkrun so I'll probably jog the mile or so there and back as a form of recovery run and that'll be another week done and dusted, 7 more to go.

  • Good luck with the Parkrun Oirish

    Not sure exactly on the difference between a sports massage and a physio. A physio will do massage but tends to do more looking at weaknesses, injury and giving you exercises etc. That said I have 2 sports massage people I see and they both advise on exercises etc too...

  • Afternoon all!

    Spoons - I really want to crack the sub 4 hour marathon so the next few weeks is really important.  As I managed 12M sunday I may attempt 15-16 this coming sunday, what do you think? (I was up to 14 before I got injured).  Although someone has told me that London is not the place for personal bests so I am open to a suggestion of booking in another marathon for after April that is smaller and will give me more time to fine tune.  How would you maintain marathon fitness after a race?


  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

    I have got an appointment for a sports massage on Saturday morning. Will be resting today but might go for a gentle jog in the park (on grass) tomorrow.

  • Good stuff Carter

    PBs @ VLM mostly depend on where you are starting. Mind you the congestion will slow you down at the start which is probably a good thing. If you want to do another marathon as a PB attempt shortly after VLM you will need to take VLM very slowly. Aim for 5 hours. Walk bits. Enjoy the sights and the atmosphere.

  • Dobster - sounds like a plan... VLM for the experience/enjoyment and a more PB conducive Marathon when you are in better shape a month or two later.

    Well it appears my HM is in doubt for Saturday image

    We have received a red weather alert today for snow & blizzard conditions later tonight & all day tomorrow - 30 cms of snow predicted in some areas. Gale force winds also forecast and particularly bad in coastal areas. 10 miles of my HM route is on - you guessed it - a coast road.

    The race director has a call to make on whether to cancel or not tomorrow on H&S grounds.

    If it proceeds and is clear of snow the easterly winds coming in off the sea will be brutal and will rule out any PB possibilities I would imagine image

    Go away winter!

  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

    Ricky - real shame if it is called off as you are in great shape and I was counting on you for a great race.

    Carter - great to hear that you are seeing someone as a niggle in the knee is better sorted before you attempt the 26 miles. Personally I would see a physio but then I happen to know a very good one who understands sports injurie. 2 years ago when he was massaging my calf he told me that it was ok to scream if I was in pain. I think a physio will manipulate the damaged area better than a sports massage. But it is very much a personal thing ....

    Dobster - great to see you back and going for it. VLM is a great experience. The crowds along the embankment during the last few miles are fantastic. It does however take quite a few miles at the start to get out of the crowds and get a rhythm going. Whatever happens enjoy it.

    Oirish - Looks like you are going from strength with your training. And well done for getting so involved with the Parkrun. I have registered for my local one but was waiting until after marathon day to go along as the timing did not fit with the LSR's that I was doing.

  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭


    Still not in a good place. Taking antibiotics, vitamins, fruit, veg, probiotics, loads of fluid but only marginal change from Monday / Tuesday.

    Beginning to wonder if this marathon is going to happen. I am not sure that I could go all that way to just plod around. And I know that there are plenty other marathons to do but at the moment that is little comfort ....

    At the start of the week I had put today down as the day I needed to be running again. Now I am thinking Saturday or Sunday. I am trying not to think about it too much but it is hard ...

    Spoons, what would you do if you were me ? (i know this is an unfair question)


  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Ricky - snow here this morning too. The forecast us for more in most parts of the country today unfortunately. Lets hope it clears up as your are in good shape to go for a quick time.

    Carl - there is still enough time for you to recover from being ill, do a few runs and get to the starting line in good shape. We keep getting told you won't lose any fitness in 2 weeks so try not to worry too much. Easy to give out such advice but not so easy to take it. Hang in there mate
  • Carl - go to bed and wrap up warm. Keep up with the vitamins etc. And dont't panic! You've still got 2 weeks and 2 days. That's ages away. You've done the training. You got ill at the right place. The point of the taper is to get rid of your tiredness from the training and recharge your batteries. And enforced rest may be just what you need. 

  • Ricky - I hope you get to race, you are my bet for a really good time, although I imagine even if it goes ahead the weather will make it challenging. Good character building stuff as I always say about things I don't have to do. 

    Carl - Listen to Spoons he is dead right, all the miles are in the bank, you've trained well and now you can rest recuperate and hit the start line feeling fresh and rearing to go. Try not to worry too much, it'll be fine.....again easy for me to say.

    Dobster - If I was in your shoes and I'm not a complete stranger to a stilletto I'd use VLM as a great day out, very hard course to overtake for long stretches and the field is full of runners in entirely the wrong places going at entirely the wrong pace but it is a fantastic experience with the crowds and support so drink it all in and then hit a more user friendly Marathon afterwards and push that PB.

    As for me I have felt lethargic all week and had to push myself out of the door which is unusual for me, that said I've got my runs in and by all accounts here in the South East we are escaping the worst of the weather this weekend so my LSR shouldn't be too bad. 

    On a different subject has anyone ever had a race photo of themselves they have actually liked? 

  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

    Carter - thanks for the advice. You are right of course and I know it too but when it is you and not somebody else, the head begins to play mind games.

    Spoons - this is where your experience comes in. 2 weeks and 2 days feels a short time to me. But I will hang in there.

  • Well that's that then - tomorrows race off image, decision just made by the organising club 30mins ago :

    Larne Half Marathon 2013

    Saturday 23rd March



     Based on the current weather situation around the province we are regrettably having to follow the advice given by the PSNI and postpone the Larne Half Marathon to another date.

    All entries remain valid and the new date will be advised in the coming days.

    It is not a decision we have taken lightly, but you will understand that the situation is outside of our control.

    Larne Athletic Club

  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

    Ricky - gutted for you but with the kind of weather conditions the organisers were probablt between a rock and a hard place.

    Are there any HM's in the next 2-3 weeks that you could enter as with your marathon in stab city being the first weekend of May you would still have enoug recovery time if you raced it.

    Cold, wet and windy here but nothing like what others are getting.

    I am cautiously optimistic that I will get out for a run on Sunday.

  • What rubbish luck Ricky image

  • Yes Carl - I have just done a swift bit of juggling and have entered Omagh HM next Saturday (30th)... and also optimistic that the weather will improve here sufficiently to allow me to switch 22ml LSR due next Sunday to this Sunday.

    Never run Omagh before so quite looking forward to it - not sure what the course is like in terms of PB potential.. must make a few enquiries!

Sign In or Register to comment.