Options

RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Comments

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Sounds lovely...was it Eilean Donan castle? I think I've said already mrs P's family are McRaes and there is some connection there, the man who wrote "in Flanders Fields " was a McRae and her mums ashes were scattered on Skye.  

I like South Queensferry too, had we gone to Scotlnd in May I had planned a night or two there, I used to park up there in the wagon at the big hotel and wander down thought the town to the shore under the bridge, mrs p is a bit bridge mad and I took her some pebbles home one time from around one of the supports of the rail bridge. I know how to treat a girl !

I won't be running the 10k tomorrow, i think it's time for a longer run and to start thinking seriously about October.  I think I'm where I would like to have been in October/November last year in readiness for April, I want to do my ten mile route and see how I feel.

I feel sorry for some of these women you get in your sights Sarah, once you've locked on they've had it haven't they?

• Options

It was, think its my favourite castle...its so picturesque, I love it. We were thinking about re-newing our wedding vows there at some point. What a wonderful place, Skye to be layed to rest.

Haha...Mrs P sounds like my father...he loves the railway bridge. My parents have several pictures of it up on their walls at home. Thats the reason we stopped off there and drove from the other side of scotland. My dad was having withdrawal symptoms from not seeing it for almost a year! image. It is a lovely bridge though so I know where he is coming from. We stopped at the Hawes Inn. It was a gorgeous hotel but I was worried about the noise from the trains waking me up. I either slept really well or no trains ran through the night as I ended up having one of the best sleeps ive had in ages!

How did your 10 miler go today? Thats fabulous news that you feel in a good place prior to starting marathon training. I really cant believe that were coming round to that time again....16 weeks of intense training!!

Haha, I wish it would happen every time I see a lady up in front but unfortunatley a few have managed to keep the distance between us on the last 2 10ks ive ran....hopefully it will be different for the next one though. image.

After my steady 15 miles yesterday I had planned to go to the gym today to do my weights (for the first time in 11 days) and do a short recovery run. I managed to do the  resistance training but a mile in to my run I had to stop due to a pain in the outer edge of my right foot. I had dropped something onto it earlier when I had been packing for our (fingers crossed) move next week. It was painful for several seconds when I first did it but then it seemed to be ok....it wasnt until I started running that it showed its angry head again. I decided to stop running and went on the bike for a bit instead. Im just hoping that its just a bit of bruising and it will settle down quickly as im not sure I could manage another 6 day rest!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sarah - The pocket rocket returns! image

I thought the days of the English nipping over the border to steal from the Scots were long gone but your little raid nicking 4th place and twenty quid clearly confirms otherwise!image

That's a great time and an excellent result. Well done to Chris too - looks like he is slowly being converted.

Sounds like you had a fantastic trip too. No Nessie pics to post or are they still being photoshopped?

Wowsers - moving next Friday! Scary stuff. That seems to have come around very quickly. I don't think we would ever be able to pack in that short space of time. Best of luck with it all.

Parkrun was 21:04, 9th place...and yes, there were more than 9 running! Thought it might have been quicker but I faded badly at the end. Loads of kids there. There was a little fella in front of me who was flying. Must have been all of 11 or 12. There was no way I was catching him. That said he stopped at 2K. Clearly not man enough to do the full 5K (just joking before you all boo me off the thread). 

PS. we seem to be duplicating ourselves across this and the 26.2 threads at the moment image

Angela - thanks for clarifying the origin of the yellow liquid. Always fancied Alton Towers but you've just put me off. 

TR24 is going to be epic. I have decided that already so it better damn well be so. 

Mr P - can't believe that thoughts are turning to autumn marathons already but I have to admit I've been thinking exactly the same. 18 weeks until York now. I think even less until Chester? So that's only two weeks until a standard 16 week programme would start. Scary stuff.

• Options

Hiya Sarah,  I really enjoyed air actually- you're in fairly secure but not uncomfortable. Some of the rides tie u in and then you still move around ur seat when it throws you around - I whaked my head on the thingy on nemesis... image

I'm not sure I should be allowed to post on this forum- not run since that race... nor have I cycled :-S  was meaning to, but I had a day of cooking yesterday - made the carrot cake for TR24, which is now sitting in the Freezer- managed to avoid eating any of it, but it did smell yum.  Made some guacamole, so I could use my shiny new avocado tool from lakeland - went there about 3 times whilst in the lake district- got a bit carried away...  some sausage rolls, and home made popcorn.  Mostly very unhealthy and to top it off had a fair bit of wine and g&ts, so feeling a bit hungover and fat this morning.  Best get on with training for Bournemoth, unfortunately, despite my brilliant planning I'm still going to start training having lost some fitness and put on some weight... GRRR

I think my schedule has 4 mile jog today... maybe I should sprint it!!!  Since there's not really anything to recover from!

• Options

Malcs, TR24 will be awesome.. FACT!

Sarah, been meaning to ask, when u do the strength sessions at the gym do u always do the same exercises or do you vary it from session to session?

• Options
    AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Hi Malcs,

Sorry for the late reply.

We stayed in Glasgow with my brother and his wife for the weekend then had a couple of days in Edinburgh. We did the obvious tourist things - went on the bus tour of the city, went to the castle, and to Calton Hill, did some shopping. We didn't see the pandas though. Mrs A and I fancied the walk up to Arthur's Seat but probably not a good idea with a 4 year old in tow. My favourite thing was the Camera Obscura museum, that was really good.  

• Options
    AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Hi Sarah,

I'm glad to hear you had a great holiday and well done on your time in the HM, especially on such a tough course. It sounds like a really nice race. It's good to be able to combine a holiday with a race like that, you can do races you wouldn't otherwise get to do.

Thanks for the kind words. I think if anything I was suffering from not enough training - due to other commitments I've found it hard to get out more than a couple of times a week since the marathon, and even then I haven't had time to put in as many miles as I'd have liked. I only managed a rather gentle six miles this Sunday as we had a do for my parents' Golden Wedding Anniversary on Saturday and I was a bit hung over but I'm determined to get a few decent sessions before my next race which is a 10k on Sunday week.

• Options
    AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Hi Angela,

Great race report and well done on your performance in the Great Trail Challenge. Doing a tough race like that so soon after your marathon takes some doing. I find cross country running hard enough at the best of times - it's definitely a weakness of mine.

• Options

Thanks AndyA!

Hmmph... I think I'm gonna have to give up on an Autumn marathon.... My sister got engaged recently, and is very much in a rush to beat me to it on the marriage front!!  So, she's having her engagement ceremony (a nigerian thing though I'm not doin it) on the 5th October - the day before my scheduled bournemouth marathon, and I am part of the bridal party....

So, I think I need to set some different goals for the rest of the year, not going to be a v good sister if i'm spending all my time at the party worrying about the marathon, and not going to be a very good marathon if i'm rushing to bournemouth in the morning from London... I knew there was a good reason for not having booked accomodation yet...

I suppose I could turn my focus to the shorter distances for the rest of the year and pick up some extra speed before doing another marathon in Spring, even if it is halstead only 2 weeks before my wedding - let's hope I get a ballot place for London so it doesn't come to that...

What would you do?

• Options

Hi everyone, been a bit slack posting on this thread recently as neglecting the tarmac for the water, but good to see the result in Skye Sarah!

Angela- why not look at a late October/November marathon instead- Frankfurt (v flat & fast 28 October) or Valencia november 17th? Cheap  and easy to get to from London...

• Options

Hi Clive, dunno about doIng that, the engagement in Nigeria is usually done in the days leading up to the wedding, though nigerians living in Britain tend to leave a bit more space between the two ceremonies- she wants todo the wedding in November or December, so I wouldn't wanna book e another marathon and have to pull out of that one too.  I guess she'll have to lock it down pretty soon, so that is a possibility... When is cologne? I love that city!

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Good evening, entered Chester today I think it will fill up this year so don't want to leave it any longer.

Angela I don't think there's anything wrong with hitting shorter distances, it keeps you fresh, is easier on the body and mind, and it is still good prep for marathons When you start to add in longer runs again.

what does the avocado tool do? I love to rub a piece of toast with garlic then spread it with whizzed avacado, not quite guacamole bit really good

• Options

Acocado tool was potentially a waste of money as a knife, spoon and fork or potato masher do the same thing... Basically it has a scoopy slicey bit on one end, and a masher on the other end...

i think it probably is best to stick with shorter distances, tho I was really hoping to get my sub 4 this year, it would have taken a perfect trainincampaign o get it.  If I can get my 5k and 10k times right down thru the second half of this year then a spring sub 4, or even well below 4 may be more possible...

• Options

Ello ello,

I can only assume that you are all diligently recording your training in your training logs, and will regale the group with them later tin the weekimage

I managed a 3.7 run, though in 2 parts, 2 and from the Dr on Monday.  And then today, I have cycled to 1 station closer to london, and will cycle home from it later today. Just over 6 miles from home.  It was a bit damp this morning, so not the most comfortable.  But a lovely exhilerating start to the day, felt much more alert today than I usually do.

I have been researching later in the year marathons.  Although the only manageable one I've found in the UK is Brentwood, which is offroad, there are LOADS of overseas ones that might be possible, although our budget is so tight at the moment, I think the sensible thing would be to stay in the UK and focus on those shorter races.  Overseas trip would just go on the credit card, no matter how reasonable it was unfortunately...

Anyways, I shall continue talking to myself until someone else feels like posting....

tum te tum.... image

• Options
    Feeling very bad for not posting, Angela. Work has been busy, marathon training poor! I need to read back and catch up before properly posting but I hope you have a great cycle home tonight and aren't too tired.
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Andy - great to hear you enjoyed your Scotland trip. We went past the Camera Obscura place but didn't go in. One for next time. We did see Arthur's Seat and the streams of people going up and down. It did look quite cool but we got to the parliament buildings at the end of the day and were worn out by then.

Angela - I think you have the job of chief whip for the thread image  Work and children have been consuming me lately. Not literally of course - the kids do bite but they would struggle to eat a whole me. 

Sounds like you're doing well keeping the training ticking over. I'm into week 2 of my build towards TR24. Nice recovery 5 miles on Monday and not so nice 400m intervals yesterday. Rest day today, I'm good at those image

I think I am getting excited way too early about TR24. Just over 5 weeks to go - I may need to be sedated!

Mr P - well done on taking the plunge and entering Chester! So that's another one training for the autumn , excellent!

Clive - get that silly black rubber suit off and concentrate on your running man image  There is no absolutely no open water at TR24 so you are wasting your time image

Dotty - I wouldn't worry, I think we're all struggling to match Angela at the moment. I would say that even Sarah has gone AWOL but she's knee deep in packing at the moment which is a fair enough excuse I guess image

I can't remember are you doing an Autumn marathon too?

• Options

But I have a wedding to plan, and two bridesmaids who have decided to get married before me.... They werent engaged when I asked them to be bridesmaids!

we booked the honeymoon! 10 nights in the golf sandals- yippee- you can all send me gifts now- clothes to wear at the honeymoon etc.

dotty I'm jealous ur doing Berlin right?

ive had a thought of doing beachy head marathon... Looking at the course profile, it looks as if sub 5 would be a challenge!

my ccycle home was half a mile longer but 5 minutes quicker- cycling in the dry takes away my fear and I go faster image. Feel good for 2 training sessions in a day, even if it was just a couple of easy rides.  Wish I had time to do more double days...

• Options

Malcs you always manage to make me smile. I did england proud stealing of the scotish image

We had our move confirmed as friday today. Its been nice to know that we will def be moving on friday as its been a stressfull week with will we/wont we be moving. Was on call today and had to transfer the money to the solicitor. The local braanch wouldnt let me do it there so I had to go into town instead. What I thought would only take 15 minutes ended up taking almost three hours, this then led to all my jobs for the day backing up so I didnt get to leave work until 8...such a stressfull day. I know moving on friday isnt going to be great but I dont think it will be as bad as today!

I cant believe York is only 18 weeks away. You have me scared now as I dropped something on my foot on sunday and im still unable to run as it hurts. Im starting to panic now...dont like not being able to run. I did 1.5 miles today and had to stop and go on the bike instead image

Hi Angela  think im feeling the same as you did....not enough running, too much eating and now ive just treat myself to a berry cider to celebrate our completion! Im proud of you not eating the carrot cake...alot of people would have!

I tend to do the same circiut when im at the gym. I have thought about doing the lower body one day and the upper body the next but I dont mind getting on with all of it on the same day. Normally takes me about 45 minutes to complete the circuit

Thankyou Andy. I did have a fantstic time although my running has gone down hill since so im getting into a bit of a panic now. I knew I needed at least a weeks break before starting training for york but now it looks like its going to be two weeks (if you exclude the slow 15 miles inbetween) due to my foot being quite sore. I just hope it settles soon as im already getting moody! Glad you liked glasgow/ edinburgh and had a good holiday. Im up in edinburgh in a few weeks time for a hen party...will be completley different to the weekend ive just had! Hope you get a few more runs in this week and good luck for your next 10k

• Options

Sorry again to hear about you not being able to run bournmouth angela but there will be other marathons and races. Your sisters engagment celebrations will be far better im sure. By doing shorter distances this autumn you are sure to speed up ready for a spring marathon. 

Congratulations on your runs and cycles and im terribly sorry that I wasnt around to post...had another busy day with work, teaching after work and then moving house...think I preferred being on holiday!

Fantastic news Mr P on entering chester...no turning back now image

Thankyou Malcs for sticking up for me...had a pretty awful week so far. I cant wait for TR24 either, I cant believe that its only 5 weeks ago....life seems to be flying by! I recall walking up arthurs seat when I was a kid and loving it. 

• Options

Hi Sarah,

Massive congratulations on getting the moving date!  I remember when I bought my place, I had been back from Australia for almost a year- all my stuff was in my parent's house, and I was living with my sister in New Cross, with pretty much only the stuff I had survived on the previous year witha 20kg baggage allowance.  Because I bought a new build, and I was eager to move in as soon as it was ready, we exchanged and settled on the same day.  I went home to sign the contract on the thursday before the royal wedding, and the 4 day weekend.  I remember sitting at my parents waiting to receive the call that it was settled, so I could get the keys and move in!  they finally called at about 3pm.  Dad drove me to get the keys, but couldn't really help with lifting the boxes up 1 flight of stairs to get me in there... so I did it all alone!!  I vowed that the next time I move, I'm paying movers!!

Sucks not being able to run, doesn't it!  I hope your foot gets better soon- I guess you've been icing it and resting, as much as you can?  I may still eat that carrot cake and make a fresh one.  We are celebrating midsummer's day at our parkrun on Saturday with cake etc to raise some money for Help for Heroes...

So tonight's session was supposed to be 5 miles steady on a hilly course - how can I adapt it so its more suitable for 10k prep?  I will have to totally rejig my training schedule at the weekend - wondering whether I should still keep some of those 20 milers in anyway, to maintain the endurance?  I would think with my bike riding I am probably doing enough for endurance at this stage for a spring marathon - what do we think?

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Angela - well done on making the booking, you can relax (a bit) now.

Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)

you can all send me gifts now- clothes to wear at the honeymoon etc.

Which of my clothes would you like for the honeymoon? image

Re. your 10K prep - if you have some hills and you're not doing any other speed stuff then I'd be tempted to do some hill reps at speed. Best thing I find for 10K's is intervals. 

Not sure what you mean about the 20 milers. Are you talking about when you start a  training programme for a spring marathon or between now and then? I reckon there is no substuitue for running long when it comes to marathon endurance. Cycling is just not going to do it. It'll keep you fit and improve stamina but it won't do enough for your legs.

However, if you're just talking about in between times then it's not so important. Some people do base building over the summer and autumn in prep for a spring campaign. This is all done very slowly though. Others have a big rest and cross train. I think it's up to you really.

PS. move away from the cake! image

Sarah - hang in there, not long now and you'll be in the new house and things can start to return to normal. Hopefully the foot will be sorted by then and you'll be back in business ripping up PBs image

• Options
    Sarah - congratulations on the new house! Don't envy you the hassle of packing and moving though. Hope the foot is better or can you use it as an excuse to get out of carrying stuff to new house?! Enjoyed reading your race report, well done. Sounded like a tough race.

Malcs - glad you had fun in Edinburgh. You put me to shame as I've never been to see the pandas. I often run round Arthur's Seat, great views of Edinburgh. The other summer I took part in the Speed of Light, it was on during the festival. Volunteer runners got to put on light suits and run about Arthur Seat making patterns. Performing the can can with about 60 other runners at top of the hill at 1am is a lasting memory

Angela - your TR team are so lucky. Carrot cake, my favourite. Sorry to hear you can't do Bourmouth, how selfish of your sister to pick that weekend, tee hee! If you are concentrating on speed and shorter distances this summer, I wouldn't have thought you needed to do 20 miles. It might take too much out of your legs and you won't be able to do your speed sessions effectively.

Feeling a bit more confident regarding training for Berlin. Managed 10miles this morning without too much discomfort. A tennis ball has become my new friend! I'm making sure I do proper stretching after each run too.
  • Options

Hi Malcs, do you have a Mankini??image

I meant keeping the 20 milers I had planned for the run up to autumn marathon that i now wont be doing.  I guess it doesn't make much sense.  If I'll be doing more intervals and speedwork, uberlong runs as well will probably break me.  I'll keep them to no longer than 15 miles, though more likely around 12, if I'm honest.

Dotty, I may share the cake with people who are not on my TR team, like Malcs, if he gives me a decent gift for my wedding!! image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Angela - If a mankini constitutes a 'decent gift' then you better get that cake ready! image

Gotcha re. the 20 milers. I agree with the Dotster - if you're focusing on speed then you don't need to do very long runs. Your revised plan sounds fine.

Dotty - I've never done half the things most people do when they come to London. Always the way, when it's on your doorstep there is no urgency to make use of it, so you never do image

Well done on the 10 miles! I always feel a bit depressed coming back to running after a rest. You go from being at your peak to feeling useless. However, it's always surprising how quickly it starts to get more comfortable. I'm on week 2 of my comeback and it's all starting to click again. 

• Options

We've been packing since I got home from work at 18:00 and we still have stuff left to pack and dismantle. This is despite more than 20 hours of packing....im never moving again!

after we move in tomorrow we've got to drive up to newcastle as were watching the athletics on saturday and then were going out for a leaving party so I have a feeling im going to struggle to come on here again properly for a few days as we will need to continue unpacking on sunday....wish I had a week off now! Thankyou all for your good luck wishes.

I can't wait to sample this carrot cake at TR...so just remember if you can't resist it angela, you need to make another one!image

I've always tried to rotate round 10,13,15 miles for my long runs when im not training for a marathon So I agree with everyone else...20 miles might take take too much out of you and stop you from being speedy!

Hey Malcs, the foot is still frustrating and worryimg me but as this house move is taking alot longer than I thought I really don't think I would have the time to run even if it felt ok...just hoping that its ok when I do get chance to run, hopefully after the weekend! I feel reassured by your comment that your fitness quickly returns.

Dotty your speed of light sounded amazing, I wish I'd had chance to do something like that. Congratulations on your 10 miler today, wish I could run ten miles....im so annoyed at myself!

• Options

Morning All,

Now I feel bad for being chief whip.... 

Sarah, lots of luck on your move - seen its already been a bit of a stressful morning for you, but thinking of you and sure you will have lots of success and happiness in your new home!

So, I didn't do my hill session last night, instead I convinced OH to take me out for dinner- I had Gammon Egg and Chips.... NAUGHTY!!!!, but I did get up to do a 10k specific session before work- Its one I'd seen in a recent women's running article:

The session was 6x 5 minutes with 90 seconds jog/walk recovery. Intervals 1-3 at tempo pace and intervals 4-6 at 10k pace. I figured tempo would be my half marathon pace at 8:50, and 10k would be somewhere around 8:20. Turns out the paces I ran were about 30s per mile faster than this, which gives me some confidence my next 10k will be a pb.

Here are the paces:
    Interval 1: 8:20
    Interval 2: 8:19
    Interval 3: 8:04
    Interval 4: 7:52
    Interval 5: 7:48
    Interval 6: 7:48

I was really trying to push the last interval, but couldn't get it any faster, and in my cool down I had to give up running after about half a mile as I was just too tired. I think this is pretty good going given I didn't eat before, but I'm not sure how realistic 7:50mm is as a pace for a full 10k.

To get into BQ territory, I would need it to be sub 46 minute 10k. My pb from 2008 is 52:50. Pretty sure I could replicate that today. 7:50 pace would give me sub 49 minutes, so almost 4 minutes off my last pb. I think my next 10k will be Felstead on 14th July, so that's 3 weeks of training. Is that enough to make 49 minutes achievable?

• Options

Ooo another question for the thread- whilst I'm not in marathon prep, do I still have to do my long runs v slow, or can I pick up the pace a bit?

• Options
    Angela - To be honest I'm not too clued up on the speedy interval training. Hopefully one of the others can help. I am confident that you will have a shiny new 10k PB this summer! Regarding the longer runs perhaps you could do some MP or even HMP sections in them or some strides at end of run.

Hope everything went well with the move, Sarah and that you don't have a sore head tomorrow when you have to start unpacking.
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Angela - nice interval session. Don't worry that you were tired at the end, that means you were putting everything into it which is great. 

5 mins at that pace will be between half and full mile repeats. So thats good as a long interval. Maybe also do some short ones - 400m reps or 1:30 flat out with 2 min rest. Try and do 8 reps if you can. Concentrate on leg turnover.

Also throw in a threshold run so 5-6 miles, first and last miles at a jog then do the middle set at 10K+ pace.

Do two of these sessions per week with a 2-3 day gap between them and you should see a big difference. With 3 weeks to go you could squeeze 6 in. 

I agree with Dotty re. long runs - keep them slow but insert some pace in the middle or at the very end.

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Evening everyone, hope the move is going well, got to be pretty stressful image.

I wouldn't be afraid of a bit more speed either Angela, you're unlikely to injure yourself if your overall mileage is lower. I think.

i am seriously thinking of changing clubs, mine is a bit stale and fuddy duddy, I keep looking at the "new" clubs website and it looks a lot more fun.  Then I think I ought to make more effort to get my own club to be a bit more forward looking, but it would be so much effort I think I should just go where I might enjoy myself a little more.