Options

Abingdon Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

MP HMs the next two weekends probably, and some 10k MPs midweek interspersed with 5 mile easy runs.  Easy last week like MG, although I plan to do a short slow run (3k?) on the Friday morning so that I'm not bouncing off the walls come Sunday.

I might steal MG's "progression 15" if I'm feeling particularly energetic. Sounds like quite a fun outing.

Oh, and my pacing sucks, so I'd better do lots of MP miles!

• Options

PS Race pack arrived this morning.

• Options

No race pack for me ... but I did get this. image

/members/images/430220/Gallery/i_am_in_small.jpg

• Options

Well done on sneaking the 20 in Dan - a real mental boost that one! Likewise Zirion with the 24  a nice place to be now, with taper ahead image Two HMs though? That's just greedy image

MG that ten miler is also a good confidence booster. I'm in a similar position with running the LSRs on an injury - my hamstrings are screaming every time I sit down for more than half an hour. We'll meddle through and it'll come good on the day!!

My whole family seems to have some sort of lergy at the mo, and I've got a streaming head cold. Not yet affecting running, and I've got everything crossed that I'm OK for my last LSR on Saturday!

As for taper, I've got a 10k planned for a week on Sunday, but can't decide on the Ridgeway 15.5 the week before Abo! It's one of my annual favourites and I keep telling myself it's no different than a ten mile tempo, but.....

Will also be trying to work in a couple of 15M progression runs building to the last 5 at MP, but they are tough!

• Options

Each to their own, but ABO is an A race for me, and I'll not pin a number on the week prior. On the other hand a 10k race with a couple of weeks to go seems like an excellent idea.

• Options

Bus, I'm in the same boat re the lergy, although we've got a sickness bug, which has prevented me running for the second half of this week, seriously impacting on my total milage the week. I know in the grand scheme of things it won't make a major difference but it is frustrating.

Like others my taper will now consist of a lot of MP runs which will start with a 10miler tomorrow (hopefully). I'll be racing at Cricklade HM two weeks before Abo before then really winding it down.

Out of interest what fuelling strategy  will everyone be using. 3 SiS gels for me, safety pinned to the back of my waistband or ideally handed to me by my support If I have any!

Oh, and I got my VLM rejection magazine yesterday (well done Dan on getting your place - very jealous) so it looks like I'm going to go all out for a GFA time at Abo in prep for 2015.

• Options

Four gels for me. Two viper and two high5. One high5 early on,then the caffeinated vipers halfway and 18 miles and a final high5 at 22 miles.

Got to work out how to carry them now...

(And to clarify on what I said yesterday - my target time is 3h05 but if I had to put down a prediction it would be 3h10. I will certainly not finish below 3h04!)

• Options

4 gels for me - the High 5 ones that don't need a drink. Rough plan is first one at 12, 2nd at 17, 3rd at 21 and last at 24.

I've got some shorts with a handy little zip pocket that sits comfortably in the small of the back and can just about hold them.

Hope you manage to get out tomorrow Lee. I'm feeling pretty lousy today, so may need to re-think when I do the last LSR (poop!). 

Blisters - Abo is an A for me too, which is why I can't decide about Ridgeway! Will probably not do it, but play by ear.....

Next issue is whether to do Marlow Half two weeks later - a particularly tough half that one with LOTS of hills!

• Options
    Well done Dr Dan my wife got her rejection mag.

I do have a 10k the week before and although Abo has been my A race for the whole 2013 I'll give it a good go, it didn't affect me last year I reckon a week is sufficient recovery for me.

My pack arrived and the nerves start kicking in. Fuel wise I'll be on high 5 gels every half hour from the start just like I have in training. It works for me as I never seem to hit the wall fuelling that way. I use high 5 and will have a couple of caffeine ones after 30 and 60 minutes as I read yesterday they take an hour to work their magic. I have a gel belt I use. Was only a few quid off eBay and has served me well. It's more mile I think. But be careful if you get one, the loops are a bit big so I have made them smaller with safety pins.

Does anyone else stop any caffeine three days before then use caffeine gels? I have the last few times. It's probably all in the head but I'll try anything lol.
  • Options

Not heard that one about caffeine Martin. Sounds plausible! I was going to try the super carbo loading thing, with low carbs for a few days in the week before then ramp them right up on the friday and saturday.

• Options
    I've never tried that one The Bus but have heard of it. Normal carb loading seems to work fine for me so I'll stick to that. I did use drinks last year milkshake and fruit juice, that stopped me stuffing my face too much. Google the caffeine thing there's plenty of info there. It's probably psychosomatic but if it works it works.

My 15 next weekend btw was 1 mile easy 7 @ MP + 20 secs, 5 @ MP + 5 secs and 2 @ MP - 5 secs.
  • Options

I don't drink coffee/coke/tea so I stopped my caffeine intake a month before the marathon the last time I took a viper on a run... You'll be able to recognise me because I'll be flying high over the course... image

The caffeine certainly seems to make a difference to me - the runs with the viper gels always seem to feel easier. Yesterday's 39k (one normal energy gel and a bottle of lucozade) felt really tough, last week's 40k (faster, but with a caffeine gel and a lucozade) felt not too bad. Don't know whether that's purely placebo, better concentration or actually more energy. Frankly I don't really care image

Interesting tip about the hour delay on caffeine MG. I'll factor that in and make sure I take them slightly earlier: I usually only take one in training, and that's at half way, so it always worked out fine.  

• Options

Race pack has just arrived!

• Options

Hi all

Time to declare myself in for Abingdon. It will be my 7th time in Abingdon but this time I have been struggling with an injury through the first half of the year. So I am on a 6 week plan(!) and hope to just get round and enjoy the day. Last year I managed 2:55 pb but anytime under 3:15 would be fine with me this year.

I will avoid caffeine for a few days before and then have a strong cup before the race and may take a caffeine gel or two during the race.

Once the packs arrive it starts to feel real doesn't it image

• Options

*sneaks onto thread*

Got a number off someone a few weeks ago so throught I best say hello I've been out of action for a few months at the start of this year so need to get some graft in to be able to be up to standard. If I make the cut off's will be happy fat lad. image 

• Options

cut off.didn't realise there were cutoffs..............image

• Options

I throught it was 5 hours? My running this year has been sh*te well you know it's rubbish at the best of times. image

• Options

5 hours.of dear..when is the deadline for tranferring numberimage

• Options

End of sept I think. You will be fine surely chuckes? image It's just for the road closer's anyway so you could just tell the sweeper bus to feck off and keep going. I've seen people go over the time and still get a medel if a issue.

• Options

Hi guys and welcome to the final countdown (cue 80s music). Glad some more have arrived at the party (and that they're not all sub three hour super heroes!)

TickTock - it was the last long run that made me feel it was real although the pack (which arrived just afterwards) was good for that too.  

Running after work this evening for a change - yesterday's 3am start and last night's pub trip, took their toll and I "slept in" till 6:30am this morning, so didn't have time to fit a recovery run in...

• Options

realised going to have to leave home by about 5 :30 to get there. In the past we have slept over......never mind....image

• Options
    Zirion wrote (see)

Anyone on the list who's aiming to just scrape under the 3h05m London qualification target? I'd love to have some others on the start line who I know are aiming for something similar so that we can form a pack.  I can't be alone in not quite being good enough for sub 3, but having a chance at qualifying.

I forgot about this thread (but not the race itself obviously!) until the envelope came through the door today.

Zirion, I'm in a similar boat to you - have been following Hal Higdon Advanced, told everyone my target is 3:10, which it was when I signed up with the plan of GFA for VLM 2015. But due to the GFA change my heart says go for 3:05, and the VLM ballot smurf yesterday has only made this thought stronger!

McMillan etc predict me at 3:00 based on my 10 mile PB (haven't done a fast HM course but am confident I'd be in 85-86 min HM shape after doing 88mins at a very tough Isle of Wight HM). I know I won't manage sub 3 - I've seen quicker guys than me take several attempts to get there.

I know several people running Abingdon this year, but all either sub 3 or 3:15+. Hopefully I can spot you at the start, as I'm in agreement that it would be nice to have some others around with the same goal...

• Options

Dr. Dan those long runs are more than adequate and I bet psychologically you're glad you re did the 20. They say your five longest runs need to add up to 100 miles and you're over that so all looking good.

Zirion always pleasing to get the 24 in the bank, again psychologically on race day you can tell yourself you did 24 already so the distance won't seem so intimidating.

10 @ MP for me this morning ran with a club mate which was a good thing as I was pretty tired and on my own I'm not sure I'd have stuck at pace. Three hard runs in four days took its toll but the final week of hard work so more out of necessity than anything else. The wind was back with a vengeance too so to hit MP over ten miles on an undulating course in the wind will do nicely. I have had to change my Physio appointment from Saturday morning to next Thursday which means another long run with a dodgy hip, not ideal by any means but it does ease off overnight and I'm sure it's just tight muscles around the piriformis which is easily remedied. 

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Race pack arrived here too. Talk about low-key. I like it.

• Options

Starting to get lively on here, and very real with the race pack coming image 

Must admit Dachs, seemd just like any race pack - none of that glossy magazine nonsense! I've not used one of those foam backed chips before though - can't help thinking all that extra weight will add valuable seconds image

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Oh dear. The pirates have invaded the thread image (Waves at Cake and Seren)

Happy to receive my number today along with many other birthday cards and presents. Also a good excuse for a rest day.

Caffine depletion for 2 weeks out, 5 SiS gels at 9, 12, 15, 18, 21 (inc 2 - 3 caffine ones). Also beetroot juice and carb load on Thurs up to Fri lunch (basically double platefuls of everything!). I'll down both of those lucozades on course as well (and some jelly babies if that family are back handing them out at 15m!).

My last race is this Sunday (a local HM which was my first ever race 4 yrs ago). 

Well done on getting into VLM Dr D.

• Options

My race pack arrived this morning too, and I've proudly posted a photo of my number on my Facebook page....... It's 409 btw, so if you see me on the day please give me a wave! image

I will leave my predicted time as it is, although it's more of a hoped for time really. Abingdon is my first marathon so really not sure whether it's realistic or not. 

I agree with the 'feeling very real' comments, I got a bit ahead of myself yesterday in all the excitement of getting a ballot place in the London Marathon (still can't believe my luck! ), but the postman brought me back to reality today!

22 miles on the planner for Sunday, seems a long, long way so can't wait to get it done and dusted. Hope everyone is feling confident and ready to deal with taper madness! image

• Options

What do you mean "Invaded" Keir. Some folks worked hard to gain that logo. I just blagged it.

(Does that count as blatant showing off?)

At the moment I'm in two minds whether to wear my running club vest or a nice yellow one with pockets for gels at the back.

• Options

I'm so excited! (apparently today's posts are brought to you by 80s music...)

I'm #523. (maybe it's obvious, but if you don't want your real name to be available then don't post your race number!).  I'll be the one in the blue and red Barnet & District AC vest.

Dachs - that was exactly what I thought re: the pack.  Nice not to be bombarded with a million pointless adverts or useless pieces of information.

Ballasteros: Looks like we're in absolutely the same boat.  I reckon I'm in 86-87 min HM.  I'm pretty certain I need to run the perfect race to get the qualification, but committed to trying.  Will be heading out slow for the first two km - all my PBs have come off slowish starts and then picking people off one by one.  I'll look out for you at 26.19 miles image

Total long runs are 24, 24, 21, 21, 19, so got 9 miles to spare on my 100 if anyone needs some.

Just about to head out for today's run.  It's almost 44 hours since I started yesterday's run.  Surely that shouldn't be possible?!? image

• Options

PS Happy Birthday Keir.