Options

Abingdon Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

And if I could edit ^that^, I'd make sure the link was actually a link!
    http://feelrace.com/fr.pl?ds=21&hh=01&mm=27&ss=20&bt=195&un=K&th=MARCO&pg=Exec

• Options

FFS - I definitely used the link button this time and it still didn't work. image

Will be good if/when these forums ever get fixed!

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Nice running everyone.image

I've been feeling a bit rough (throat etc plus a bit head-achey) but am hoping/praying all will stabilise in time. So long as it doesn't turn inro a cough like last year! image

Resting HR was fine yesterday, so I did 11.6M on the hills at MP + 45s to keep things ticking over.

Zirion: Blue and Red Barnet top

Dachs: Green vest (as picture) and union jack shoes

Cake: Sheffield Balti T-shirt and pirate cap

Leebe: Black Nike top and shorts

Postie postie: dark blue vest with a red metre mark

Martin Green 15: all black Adidas with Martin on vest

Mr Boat: Bournemouth AC: yellow with blue vertical stripe

Dr.Dan: Hyde Park Harriers: red vest, white text, white verticle stripe.

/members/images/430220/Gallery/Vyrnwy_2013.jpg

• Options

Ballasteros.  I was planning on starting slightly slower, but then based on your plan catching you up and passing you (probably around 12-15k mark).  Having said that, I'm not wed to that particular strategy, so if I see you on the course I may just tuck in next to you.  Will have a think about it.  I'm a little bit worried about aiming for such a negative split, because it leaves no contingency (let's hope I don't need a loo break in the second half!). I can see the attraction of getting the motivational boost from overtaking people throughout the second half of the race.

• Options
    Dr Dan you must know the famous mr Tom Williams then!
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Well done to MG - good work on a hilly course - and Rosie - just look at it as a confidence booster.  Could work out for you.

Dr Dan - if I see you I shan't be messing with you!

Gels - tried out tucking gels into the waistband of the shorts in my 13 yesterday.  It worked one side, but not the other.  Therefore I am going for 1 in my shorts pocket (2 if I can fit them but I doubt it), one in the waistband, 1 tucked inside the strap of the watch, and will buy a cheap wristband that I can chuck away for the last one.  Ran with a proper running bumbag thing at Berlin last year, but, quite apart from looking like a bell-end (not that much of an issue since I was in Germany), the main problem was once it was empty it started jiggling around and irritating me.

• Options

Dachs, I'll be doing a similar thing with gels in the shorts. In my long training runs I've been sticking one in each side of my short waistbands and they seem to hold fine, although you need to make sure they positioned right so the corners don't rub on your skin like they did for me on my first run with them! So I'll be starting off with 2 gels on me and will then pick up some more from my supporters who will be poisitioned at the 6 & 15 mile point.

Are gels given out on the course or is it just jelly babies and lucozade sport as per the website?

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

If only I had some supporters image

• Options

Dachs I'l be your supporter if you want? image

• Options
    CafCaf ✭✭

no gels given out I'm afraid. Defintiely worth carrying some (or getting soemone to hand you them) if you're used to using them in training.

Leebe - I'll look out for you in your black Nike kit and maybe we can chug along comfortably at 6:50 - 6:45 together for a few miles.

• Options

Caf,

yeah sounds good to me. I'll keep an eye out for you. Having someone on the same pace would be good.

• Options

Updated List: 

Zirion: Blue and Red Barnet top, #523

Dachs: Green vest (as picture) and union jack shoes

Cake: Sheffield Balti T-shirt and pirate cap

Leebe: Black Nike top and shorts, #722

Postie postie: dark blue vest with a red metre mark

Martin Green 15: all black Adidas with Martin on vest

Mr Boat: Bournemouth AC: yellow with blue vertical stripe

Dr.Dan: Hyde Park Harriers: red vest, white text, white verticle stripe.

Blisters: #400: Pirates top? Severn blue/yellow stripes? White headband

The Bus: Fluoro orange and yellow Adios - #248

Millsy1977: black Adidas Marathon Talk t shirt and black Adidas shorts #527

Jamie Farmer: black/green Leighton Buzzard Triathlon vest  #75

Caf: cherry and white "Beckenham Running Club" vest

Ballasteros: Stubbington Green Vest

• Options
    Hi, will the water stations be bottles?
  • Options

No in cups though therethere is usually lucosade at mile 14 and 21.

• Options

Looking at the course route, do we do the bottom loop twice then?  I can't see anything with mile markers on to work it all out.  My analyst brain needs to know these things!! 

• Options

Yep the bottom part of the course is looped twice then back up to the finish.

Cups are probably not a bad idea, saves fiddling with lids/tops etc. Are the lucozade bottles full size ones you'd buy in a shop or smaller bottles?

Weather for Sunday is looking pretty good at the moment, so everyone keep their fingers crossed! http://metcheck.com/UK/7days.asp?zipcode=Abingdon&locationID=57974&lat=51.7&lon=-1.3&findtype=

• Options

3 and a bit miles last night and this morning for me. 1 mile of each at MP.  These aren't proper runs - I'm only just getting warmed up when I get home.  Rest tomorrow, then a couple of short runs on Thurs/Friday...  the end is nigh.  Five more days!

• Options

Thank you so much for the course map, I've not even able to open that previously!  So mentally a parkrun to warm up, then a couple of 10mile loops followed by the homeward finish.  Gulp, it's going to be fun...I know it is!!

• Options

And that weather is looking like vest / tshirt weather!  Rather than the waterproofs needed last weekend!  Fingers and toes crossed!!

• Options

Perfect conditions this morning, cool and still, if only it could be like this on Sunday, no risk of drowning like there was last Sunday although I have been known to try to drown myself in the past whlist trying to drink from paper cups on the move. Never quite mastered the art of that which is a slight worry.

• Options

Always it's going to be fun. image image

Just remember to save yourself for the sprint finesh.

• Options

I know what you mean about drinking from the cups RR, most of it tends to go all over my face when I try and drink from them or I start choking on the water! Not exactly what you want during a race.

Short interval session for me tonight, rest tomorrow and then short 3/4 miler on Thursday.

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

2nd day of carb depletion for me. Felt pretty weak by the end of my 7mi @ general aerobic pace. Looking forward to some carbs after tomorrow morning's run; I may get up early and hit the porridge afterwards.

• Options

re: cups: if they're paper you can fold them a bit which makes it far easier to drink without drowning.  If they're plastic then you'll just have to resign yourself to drowning. Other options: A brisk walk to drink is better than running if it means you don't choke or if you're really worried you could carry a straw image

Top tips here: http://rulesforrunning.com/2012/10/04/navigating-the-water-stops/

Mr Boat: sounds serious.  I don't dare with carb depletion.  Sounds like it's a recipe for disaster if it doesn't work out right.

Jamie: Could do with the weather taking a very slight downward trend for temperature and the wind dropping slightly. Still, I agree it's pretty good. Fortunately there are several different weather websites, so you can usually find one that tells you what you want to hear image

• Options
    Likewise I've never tried carb depletion tho understand the mechanics. Normal carb loading seems to work for me so I'll stick with it, tho I've used drinks more than food the last few times which stops a bit of bloatedness with me.

With the water cups I tend to ask family to give me a couple of bottles en route which is easy enough on a two lap course. That way if I don't manage to get much from the cups it's not a disaster.

Easy four on aching legs (post race) yesterday and a mini interval today. W/u 2 x 5 mins @ 10k (70 secs rec) 2 x 2 mins 5k (60 secs rec) w/d.

Actually looking forward to getting stuck into some food considering I've tried to drop a few pounds this week!
  • Options

I'm the same, wouldn't like to try carb depletion, too scared I wouldn't be able to re-fuel enough! What drinks do you usually take Martin?

I was thinking about getting some small water bottles and giving to my family as well as a backup in case the cups don't work out.

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

I know a few who do carb deplete (Marigold); nothing to be afraid of. No worries of not refuelling enough as you only really need to go back to your original high mileage carb intake which has the same effect as carb loading due to your reduced tapering mileage. For someone like me who is not quite light enough (152lbs 5' 9") it gives me a psychological boost as I'll drop a few pounds prior to the inevitable weight gain leading up to race day. Pretty tough going eating no carbs though; hating it.

• Options

Really hoping that weather forecast turns out to be accurate. Weather was unbelievably grim last Sunday.

Just ran 6 miles with 3 quick uns in the middle 6:33, 6:19, 6:05

4 on Thursday and i'm good to go. Little dissapointed that the drinks are in cups. You do have to really slow down to even get half the fluid down. Might be worth grabbing a cup in each hand.

I'll stick to my sports drink and Jelly Baby binge on Saturday to carbo load. It may not be the healthiest but it seems to work. Not long folks!

• Options

Fair play for getting through a few days with no carbs Boat, I don't think I could manage it if I'm honest, love carbs!! Out of interest what are you eating at the moment then?

Nice 6 miler there Frank, decent pace. Having looked at the course map again, water stops seem to be every 3-4 miles, so I'm sure I'll cope if I only manage to get a small amount in my mouth! Sports drink and jelly babies sounds like a decent carbo loading strategy.