Options

london to brighton

13»

Comments

• Options

Q8, I fully understand we all have lives to juggle and we have to fit our running in around it..there are usually ways of doing so it just takes some thinking. Can you run to work for instance, run in your lunch break or home from work, double days? Do you have access to a gym at work? ,  I'm not aiming the questions at you just throwing out thoughts to be considered when planning.

I have never done very high milage, I prefer quality over quantity any day and to my mind when marathon training it is more beneficial to do a decent block of long intervals than shuffle round some dead miles. So I view training for 100k the same, I trained well for 26.2 miles, ran a good race, bagged a pb, recovered for 1 week then ticked over for the next 3 weeks.  I started the 100k with a walk/run regime and watched all the keen lot go off into the distance. I carried this off until we got the hills and swapped for a walk the hills jog the rest when mud allowed.  By half way all the keen lot were coming back to me or dropping out.

At the moment I am training for a 100 miles, longer but same principles. For any distance event, most of it is mental strength anyway.

• Options

Hi  Everybody

Been in touch with organizers and spoke to lady called Abby, and she states the cut off time was only meant as a guide to runners , you will get a medal no matter what time you finish as long as its not after the all the event have finished. she says you can call if you like.

Hi Dips nice to hear from you, I agree with you core trainings is also important. I have included speed walking in my training. Main thing is not to try go to fast and worry you have not got as far as you would have liked, (don't be a hare)

Prague marathon very hot and lots of cobble streetsimage but still enjoyed it  passed over a 1000 runners after 20km so it looks like the training as do some goodimage

• Options
    QBQB ✭✭✭

Yes Dips, run to work has always been very much my main training (hence why it is often quantity rather than quality I think!)

Good to read from both Dips and WPM again about need to start off slow! It's the main focus of my thoughts and my last run this weekend, going slow enough to enjoy it, slower than it feels like I should be doing.

Well done in Prague WPM

• Options
    Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭

Hi William- that's really good news about the medal. Gosh- it sounds like I'm a bit hung up about the medal.image...but I do love my bling! 

Dips I really do like your strategy of adopting a run/walk from the outset and I'm aiming to discipline myself to do that There is so much conflicting advice around though- I saw a comment in Trail Magazine from an ultra runner who says something like " Well as we are all going to tire in the second half anyway, we might as well go as fast as possible in the first half of an ultra event! "  

I guess we only ever learn through trial and error and what works on one course maybe disastrous on another course ! 

Re training- I run to - and often from- work. This is really my main way of getting my mileage in.  I've been running with my backpack recently to get used to it. I' haven't done much this week - will be 23 miles up until today then a longer run this weekend. I seem to have recovered from Milton Keynes marathon but don't want to push it! 

Last lot of shopping this weekend ..and then that's it 

*Logs on yet again to the long term weather forecast...*

• Options

Hi Jenny

I am just the same I would go through muck and bullets for my medal, I've got enough running shirts to fit out a running club. I am really going to take it easy now with only about 10miles of slow running this week, I do  this when I run a ultra.  As for going mad in the first half I don't buy that at all, I don't see any pleasure in struggling the last 20 or so miles, for early speed, I work on steady but sure. 

• Options

Start slow and get slower!

• Options

I everybody

Anyone staying at the Premier Inn Kew bridge maybe share a taxi in the morning, did some Hill repeats today just to keep everything free, and also it was to nice to miss out on a run 

• Options

Not long now...carbo loading begining tomorrow, weather looking perfect...at the moment!

• Options

Saw this on the other thread and entered on impulse Tuesday night!  Doing it as a walker.  Only problem is that I want to change my starting slot to 9-10 and have been unable to get to organisers via e mail links.

• Options

Hi

Give them a call they always helpful when I have phoned them.

But I did get a message a couple of weeks ago that the time had passed to change the time, but its worth a call

• Options

I will be collecting my registration pack tomorrow and might be able to change it then. Not vital if I can't but as I 'll be walking through Saturday night an extra hour in bed would be welcome.

• Options

Well that was a fun day out! trust you guys got to the end in one piece? Bill great seeing you briefly somewhere on stage 1 it's all a little bit of a blurr. 

im over the moon, I finished at 7.03 12h 32m unofficialy no idea about placings, just know the quickest finishers when I crossed was 10h20ish.. 

really appreciate all the thoughts, consideration and reading from those with more experience on here, really helps. 

My 4x3h strategy very nearly worked, 25k in 2h20, 50k in 5h15, 75k in 9, 100k in 12h32... Out to quick, I don't know? the second half was really uncharted territory for me, but I can look at it anfelled content, and actually I enjoyed itimage 

• Options

Marcus..it's all a learning curve and one you have enjoyed..we all learn something to take forward to the next time. 

I watched a few come through Falmer around 6 and 7pm ish so I might have given you a cheer.

I also saw quite a few today as i started and finished a gallop of the Downs..glorious weekend.

• Options

Cheers D, i was a normal guy yesterday and I'm a normal huge today, just with slightly sore legs image inspired to do more ask me in a month. I so chuffed, if you did cheer me on, short chap, innovate cap, probably gave a smile, as thats just the way I am, then massive thanks.

• Options

image I saw a few guys..was sitting in my car just before you turn into the checkpoint at the pub.

Any way, enjoy being a normal huge image

• Options

iPad corrective test.. Normally huge.. May be it will stick? I'm "just Marcus" 

• Options

No problem with starting times after all - just turned up and waddled off.  You runners don't know what you missed doing some of those woodland obstacles in the darkimage. I finished in about 22hours 10 minutes. 

Really well marked course and great provisions - although could have done with a bit more choice at the end - burger and chips wasn't quite what I felt like at 6.50 a.mimage.

• Options

Did it! no problems, but I hope I never see another stileimage, we couldn't have had a better day, glad it was not Friday.  some of the stations were a bit strange on food selection fried bacon, sausages and eggs is not my idea of what I was wanting at 80kimage        It was really good to put a face to some of you, thanks for the greetings,

I was the oldest runner in the race, so very pleased with my watch time of 14.56hrs GREAT TO HEAR OF YOUR SUCCESS .

Regards

Bill

• Options
    QBQB ✭✭✭

Bill, I so agree with that - "hope I never see another stile" - felt more like a steeplechase at times than a 100k ultra! And nice meeting you.

Great times by all here, well done and a nice bonus really as just trying to finish was aim. My time was out from 13hr hope, to 14hr but as I wasn't able to run on my leg weekend before, I was just very relieved to have been able to get out there!

I'll be the first to admit that I've never been so tired at the end, so no idea whether I could have gone faster anyway! I asked my wife and kids to take lots of photos if I reached the finish, and they did and so I now have a couple of me crossing the line and several of me lying flat on my back on the grass clutching a glass of champagne!