Options

Richmond 13.1 Half Marathon

2»

Comments

• Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

The headphones debate will rage on and on.  We ban them in our events.  Not to destroy anyones enjoyment or because we have militant fantasies or because we are miserable buggers or HSE crazy or any other reason other than the restriction is imposed on us by the Safety Advisory Group and highways agency who give us permission to use their highways.  We have to provide evidence of the fact we had people spotting those who intentionally flout the rules and that they are disqualified as a result.  They even required the minutes of our post race meeting.  They hold the power...

No permission = no insurance = no race.

Primarily The Safety Advisory Groups cites that they need to know runners are aware of all things going on around them without restriction, particularly with regards to the safe passage of emergency services through the field to get to an emergency incident.  This requirement is important in parks and private land as well as roads. 

The argument regarding signing a disclaimer is invalid.  If an ambulance (for example) runs a runner over accidentially because the runner was unaware of the presence of the vehicle, by law it has to stop.  It means treatment to the person requiring the vehicle is compromised.  The driver is treated as a suspect and can be prosecuted by law and will be suspended from driving until the incident is investigated.  This has implications for the driver, his life and his job.  Just because someone claims they cannot run in a race without headphones.

Runners wearing headphones have been hit by cars.  We know from our events that despite what the runner will tell you, their concentration and hearing is compromised by wearing the headphones.  We've had too many of our marshals who have had to run after runners who have either ignored or not heard their directions (all these runners without exception have been wearing headphones).  What we are all trying to do as much as we can to prevent an accident from happening by using the information/history we have.  We are legally obliged to do so.

More Safety Advisory Groups are getting involved in the organisation of events.  The banning of headphones will happen more and more.  Don't take it personally.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Great post Happychap!

Let's hope people start to understand why you implement these rules.
  • Options

Well said, HappyChap. 

I'd be of the opinion why not just pick another race if they don't allow them at the one you look at, just go and find another race that does (although I think you'll find that more and more of a struggle as time goes on).

Personally I don't see why you need them and that's coming from someone who used to only be able to run with music. Like most things you are used to, you can train yourself to get unused to it. I used to smoke and thought I'd never ever stop but guess what happened.....

I've also been a marshal at a race where I've had to chase people because they have gone the wrong way as they couldn't hear people instructing them and weren't paying attention. If I am ever in that situation again then I'll just let them run on where ever they might end up and hope they like the extra mileage image 

This is a debate that will run and run....pun intended. 

• Options

And good luck PhilPub, I'll be cheering your pacing from the road side. 

• Options

How was your run today Nicola ?

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Miss Knees - thanks, hope it wasn't too cold for you!  I was upgraded to 1:25 pacing duties... and came in at 1:25:04.  Oof!  Was actually a few seconds inside target at 12 miles (textbook stuff) but then three flights of steps followed by half a mile running round a lumpy field added a bit on.

Anyone got any views on coconut water?  image

• Options
    I have!!!! It's apparently very rehydrating but I really can't stomach the flavour!!!
  • Options

Had a great day Phil, didn't notice the cold as I was cycling all over the place to take pictures. Is this you with Dan? 

http://s21.postimg.org/y2npy8v0n/IMG_0811.jpg

Coconut water is an aquired taste image

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Ha!!  Yep, that's me - what a mess!  That weird dangly thing hanging by my left leg used to be a balloon, till it got popped by a tree branch at about 1.5 miles.  Dan's balloon nearly made it to halfway!

• Options

I didn't realise that was you!! I took a few pictures of you and Dan and the stall, I was with Kelvin both of us in our Ealing Half Marathon hoodies. I have a few shots I'll send over to Dan. 

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

In which case, nice to meet you! image

• Options

Just want to let the organisers know that I had a fantastic day on Sunday. Thought it was very well organised, a beautiful and picturesque route. Would definitely do it again. Thank you

• Options

Have just been reading the ratings and some people complained about lack of water stations, I thought there were plenty, too many for me in fact. would have been nice to have an isotonic drink station. It was very well marshalled, shame about the last minute changes to the route due to puddles but it could not be helped.