Options

RW Marathon FLM Beginners - Philippa

Comments

• Options
    Ivor, I don't smoke - your message is obviously meant for Phil, the bloke among the three of us who has just given up.
    Hoover - know it's pedantic but a friend (childless) who thinks five is an overindulgence thought I should clarify.
  • Options
    Hi Philippa
    How's it going today?? I had a personal training session at the gym today so feel stuffed!! I'm taking a day off the gym tomorrow and going for an hours walk instead. How's your running coming along??
    Kerry
  • Options
    Hi Phillipa
    Good luck with the training. It does get easier! I've only been running for 11 weeks now, and I'm amazed that I've managed to progress from run/walking to doing 6 miles in just over an hour, no walking.
    I found that once I reached the magical point of 30 mins continuous running, I knew that I was capable of building on that.
    But I did find that, to begin with, the only way to progress from run/walking was to slow my pace right down- even though it felt quite unnatural to begin with.
  • Options
    Hi Phillipa

Welcome to the mad world of marathon running (warning: it's adictive). Check out the daily plodders thread on Beginners for a little light relief, support and nagging when you need it and the guys on Marathon Nutters Annonymous are terrifically supportive and full of great advice.

Most important factor in training for and completing a marathon? Enjoying yourself!

See you in Greenwich Park in April 04.

Floosie
  • Options
    Thanks for your messages. I am enjoying it ... sort of. Although was quite glad today to get a v slight crampy pain in a calf muscle ... excuse to immediately stop and walk (instructions from Keith) after 35 mins rather than plod on for 75.
    Kerry I think the Trailplus marathon camp we've got to go on is Forest of Dean 9-11 Jan. And what do you mean you'll be getting back as the others set out on their next runs. They've promised to turn us into trained athletes. We'll be sylph-like and in the lead by then.
  • Options
    Whooohooo - welcome to the 26 miler club!!

Never ever thought I would be able to say that but after really struggling to get past 5k I put my mind to it and did my 1st marathon (FLM) in April, have just finished my 2nd (Dublin) and am doing FLM 04.

You won't believe how quickly you'll get addicted and I'm sure you'll love it. In a few months you'll look back after an hour running and think "that was easy...."
    I promise - you will!!!

Good luck :-)
  • Options
    Well done Philippa.
    I'll be following your progress with interest. I did a half marathon for the first time this year having never run anywhere. I thoroughly enjoyed it even though at was very hard work at times & it was hard keeping at the training.
    I know what you mean about it taking over your life - sometimes I found it hard to fit everything in even though I did have more energy. Perhaps someone else has got some suggestions to help with this.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    It is very time consuming I agree.

If my running partner is not around then my boyfriend comes with me (if it is too dark to run alone etc) and we find it is a great way to spend quality time together.
    I am lucky though as he is extremely fit and can come out and run 10k without having done any training at all.

I also make sure I start all my w/e long runs at either 7am or 8am (depending how far I have to go)...it sounds crazy but it much more pleasant when there is no traffic and by the time you get home no one is out of bed yet so you still have the whole day.
  • Options
    Both Ursula and I enjoyed seeing your picture in Runners World last weekend. Who was it that put you up to this - your crazy brother in law?

Now that you have started on the long road to the Mall in April I know that you will succeed. I hope you find it just satisfying as I did. I am sure you will.

All the best from Ivan and Spike.
  • Options
    BTW I meant to say that next time RW does a photo shoot don't have your sweat top tied around your waist!

Ivan xx
  • Options
    I was trying to hide the bulges. Yes, IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT. I'm sitting her with a painful calf. Set off jogging this morning ... it began to hurt within two mins so came home. Set off cycling ... just got to Ham Gate and turned round as it hurt so much. So am now sitting here reading about calf injuries on the website and am none the wiser what it is or what to do about it ...
    P xx
  • Options
    Phillipa, I'm also new to running (2nd week) and i'm amazed at this challenge your undertaking. I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you the best of luck, and i'll look forward to following your progress.

Nik
  • Options
    Just rest it Philippa - a week off wont hurt.
  • Options
    Well, It WAS a lot to start of with
    but you have loads of time
    just dont panic
  • Options
    Thanks for all your messages. I am beginning to panic ... had Friday and Saturday off. My knee hurts, too, on the same leg as the sore calf (right). Have tried ice, putting it up etc. Yesterday was limping. Today it's a bit better but not sure what to do next. Better email Keith (our TrailPlus trainer) for advice. Am aiming to go swimming tomorow.
  • Options
    er
    well
    id rest properly
    like, for a week
    and get your shoes checked
  • Options
    would you not even swim? worried about losing the bit of fitness I've gained so far ...
  • Options
    Swimming is fine if it doesnt hurt
    and really dont panic
    you have lots of time
  • Options
    you asked me why i thought 75 minutes every day was too much

one word-injuries

restdays are really important!
  • Options
    WOW...just read back a little way and saw that you are doing the trailplus marathon camp...jan 9-11th....*jumps up and down waving*....me too ..me too.
    It sounds like it will be fun (had quite a long chat to the bloke who runs it on the phone cos didn't know if i was up to it)
    I'll look forward to meeting you
    Glen
  • Options
    Hi ... see you then Glen.
    Have had a few days rest Peppermint Hippo and today went swimming. Hoping to get back to jogging (if you can call it that ... shuffling along for two mins at a time) maybe by Thursday. We'll see. Depends how it is. It feels better than it did but still icing etc four times a day for 10 mins.
    Thanks for all your support.
  • Options
    philippa
    when you do go bak, just do 30-35 mins a day
    and have one or two rest days a week
  • Options
    Good luck Phillipa - I agree with PH though - rest is important :o)

• Options
    I've been advised by our coach to swim till tomorrow, then cycle for a couple of days, then walk briskly for about 30 mins on Sunday ... no running at the moment.
    Does anyone know if it harms running shoes to put them in the washing machine?
  • Options
    Best not to. You can scrub them with lukewarm water and leave to dry but not near a radiator.
  • Options
    Oooops!! Mine had a wee spin in the washing machine last weekend thanks to a very muddy bike ride!!
  • Options
    No soap, no hot water just a wool wash and dry naturally!

bit of a bu$$er at this time of the year so get 7 pairs, one for each day of the week.
  • Options
    Hi, thanks for all your messages.
    I am STILL unable to run ... have had this calf injury now for two and a half weeks. Think it's strained muscle fibres or something, not quite sure. Have been cycling and running. Getting a bit fed up of it not going ... just as it feels better I do a bit more, eg have a swim then a cycle, and it comes back. So think I'd better visit a sports physio for some advice.
    I've just had an email from Phil (the beginner from Nottingham), who says:

the
    running is
    going well been jogging home from work most nights and doing longer
    runs at
    weekend only for about 45mins.
    the non smoking is going pretty good. i went on a mates stag weekend to
    the
    coast two weeks a go and had a few then but thats all.
    i've not seen the rw website yet so i've not seen the messages yet i
    will
    soon [ends].

At least swimming is kind of easier in this pouring rain ... but am slightly panicking about whether it will ever get better and I'll ever do the marathon!
    But I'm assured it's possible ... we'll see won't we.