please dont worry
    FLM is totally different
    Run your own race
    i findpacing groups hard too

just run little bits, walk, run
    and enjoy the day
    youl be fine
  • Options
    That was useful advice Plodding hippo! Just ran on my own at Silverstone, walked bits when I got too tired, and finished it in 2 hours 30 mins (roughly ... crossed start line at 12:05 and finish at 14:35 by my watch, didn't notice what theirs said, so I suppose it's 2 hours 30). Was v pleased ... expected it to take longer. Having said that, NO WAY could I have done it all again ... which I'll have to next month. How did you get on Sherryl?
  • Options
    Hi, i found silverstone a nice flat course which is the type i like at the moment - by my watch finished in 2hr 10min - still trying to get on the 1/2 marathon site for official time. Felt good afterwards quite stiff today and probably even stiffer tomorrow - going to do some light streching today and 3/4 miles tomorrow. Hope you are feeling ok, keep it up the crowds will take you around the flm - and so what if you walk, run etc as long as you finish it.
  • Options
    That's brilliant. My time was 02:32:48. I'm extremely stiff and my feet really hurt. Keith says rest today, do a 'recovery' run (misnomer) tomorrow of 45 mins, then THREE HOURS on Wed of 10 mins walk, 10 mins jog, over and over. It really hurts to even stand up at the moment!
  • Options
    Phillipa
    you will be better after the recovery tomorrow
    Honest
  • Options
    ((hugs)) to you both, you are tremendous inspirations !

Treat yourselves well for a couple of days, u deserve it. :)
  • Options
    Philippa
    Hi, how is your training going, since the Silverstone Half? Sounds like you're doing really well - I must admit it felt like it took about 2 weeks to recover from the last half marathon I did - too many aches! What sort of training did you do the week before the event? Just curious, as I think I did too much...and I am doing the Milton Keynes half this coming weekened. Anyway, keep going, you're doing great. On my 'not so good' running days, it's truly inspirational to read about all of you guys. See you on April 18th!
  • Options
    hi Philippa
    just found this thread
    best of luck
    sounds like your doing great
    i ran FLM. last year for the first time finished in 5;09 and had not done half the training you have done
    you'll fly round i'm sure
    last year i ran too 15 mile then had to walk/run the rest but every time i walked i made my self run for twice as long before i walked again
    ie
    if i walked for 1min then i would run for 2mins
    this stopped me from walking for too long
    any way best of louck
    cheers
    markone
  • Options
    Hi
    Thanks for all your messages.
    I can't remember what I did the week before silverstone but I have another half next sunday (21 March) - the Kingston Adidas Breakfast run, 16 miles. And this is what i have to do this week:
    Sun - 3 hours (10 mins running, 10 mins walking, over and over again for 3 hrs)
    Mon - rest
    Tues - 45-min recovery run plus cross trainer (don't know how long, I guess 30 mins)
    Wed - 3 hours (as Sun, 10 mins run, 10 mins walk over and over again for 3 hours)
    Thurs - swim 60 mins, gym 30 mins
    Fri - 120 mins bike riding
    Sat - rest
    Sun - 16 mile Adidas run. (My schedule says I should this in 10 min runs, 10 min walks ... but I'd arther try and run what I can ... must discuss with keith, the coach, before he disappears to the Algarve on Thurs on the Runner's World holiday).
    Good luck at Milton keynes Justdoingit.
    Markone - that 5 hour marathon time is far faster than I will do. You must be a faster runner than me. I am really slow. But still pleased with progress as I am tons fitter than I was, slimmer (have lost 26 lb) and now, at last, enjoying the running. If I make it to the finish line I'll be pleased.
  • Options
    philippa
    its not "if i make it too the finish line"
    it's
    WHEN
    again good luck
    markone
  • Options
    Philippa
    That's an amazing weekly schedule! Don't think I'm doing enough...or maybe just taining in a different way.....Do you do the 3 hour session of 10min walk/10 min jog continuously? Where do you normally do this...outside?
    You'll be whizzing round at the FLM, no worries!
  • Options
    I do the 10 mins/10 mins continuously, yes, three hours together it's meant to be, presumably to build up endurance. I do it in Richmond Park. Did it yesterday with Kerry - one of the other beginners in RW. She's ahead of me, she was meant to do 15 min walk, 3 hours solid runnng, then 15 mins walk. But to make it less tedious we walked 15 mins, then jogged together. I stopped three times only for 10 min walks till my three hours was up, walked briskly while she slow-jogged. Then she stayed out for an extra 30 mins. I was going to try not stopping for the walks but my hip began to hurt a bit (as at silverstone). It's doesn't hurt at all today. Hope it stays that way.
  • Options
    Philippa
    Good luck with the 16 mile breakfast run on Sunday. The 10 min on/10 min off run sounds really interesting - at lunch today I did 1.5 hours of 10 mins on, 5 mins off which was OK, except for aching ankles and other twinges (there is always something!). Tomorrow I'm going to go for the full 3 hours on/off (not over lunch though, my break isn't that long!). I might need my iPod to keep me company though...
    Let us know how you get on at the weekend
    Naomi (Just Doing it)
  • Options
    Philippa
    I'm doing 16miles breakfast run on Sunday too. We saw each other last Saturday, I was the slow jogger that said Good Luck to you in Richmond Park. That Saturday was my 1st ever long run 2 laps (coming back from 2 weeks because of illness). Again good luck to you and I migh see you Sunday, I will be in the 11min RW pacer group - hopefully I can keep up.
  • Options
    Hi

Thanks for your messages. Good luck on Sunday. Riza you are better than me .. I couldn't go in the 11-min group. I struggled to keep up with the 12-min group! It was really nice to meet you in Richmond Park. Kerry and I feel we need all the help we can get so are going to get our names put on our shirts (naff, we realise), but it makes such a difference when you are struggling and people encourage you, by saying come on so and so, or good luck!
    I have had a tough week .. too much indulgence, not enough training. Am not feeling confident about Sunday. And not pleased to read the Surrey Comet will publish all names and positions and times. It shouldn't make a difference... who the hell cares .. but just fear coming last as I don't want to let down our coach, who is committed and excellent, and incidentally, offers a personal service to anyone by email. I could recommend it .. he is fantastic and it's not expensive.
    He is kind, patient, understanding etc ... I am pleased with my progres in that thought I was a non-runner and can now run for quite a while without stopping.
    anyway good luck sunday ...
    philippa
  • Options
    Riza, were you in the 11-min pacing group at Kingston on Sunday? I didn't see you. I was in that group for a while at about 8 miles, but then drifted back, couldn't keep it up. Finished in 3:03 (16 miles). I found it hard ... and my calf was playing up a lot in the last hour. How did you get on?
  • Options
    Hi Philippa, I was in the group and I did saw you in front from mile 5 onwards (I was at the back - I was the one who keeps coughing!!!). I manage to stay in the group till mile 11 and couldn't keep it up. I struggled to finish the last 5 miles. Official finished time 3.01.59, so you weren't far behind me. Leg muscles hurt a lot yesterday and had trouble with the stairs. I'm okay now - I'm planning to do it again on October (16 miles), to improve my time. Good luck on April, and I will probably see you in Richmond Park again - I live near by and I'm always there every Saturday.
  • Options
    My legs hurt a lot yesterday - I went for a sports massage. Paul, who works at the back of the Sweatshop in Teddington, is really good (he's Sonia O'Sullivan's sports masseur). I've got do 4 hours, longest ever, on Sunday, so have booked myself in there Monday ... fear the calf needs controlling or it will stop me doing the marathon. Kerry and I are doing Kingston 16 miles in October. So we can compare progress again then!
  • Options
    Philippa
    Well done with the Breakfast Run, a really impressive achievement. How did Kerry get on?
    4 hours on Sunday - is that going to be a non stop run, or the 10 mins on/10 mins off plan?
    Take it easy this week!
    Naomi -JDI
  • Options
    Good luck on Sunday, I will be resting this week until my cough is gone. I might do 1 lap this weekend then will be back to my normal weekly miling of 20 to 25. I was rejected by the FLM (3 times in row!!!) so I want to keep my fitness ready to try again next year.
  • Options
    Kerry didn't do the kingston breakfast run - she's in the Algarve on a Runner's World holiday (no doubt training madly ... three coaches, including ours, Keith Anderson, are there with 165 readers!). Keith rang me with what to do this week but I've mislaid it round the house. This week is not an easy week, it's the hardest yet! I know today was at least 3 hours, but I didn't do it. Set off, my calf was really hurting, so went to the gym and did 30 mins on the exercise bike and 30 mins on the cross trainer. I'm going to try again tomorrow. Am icing it, doing stretches etc I remember that Sunday I'm meant to do 4 hours and I think it was something like 15 mins or 30 mins brisk walk either end and all the rest running. I am certain I won't be able to run that much without stopping ... so for me it's more a case of running as much as I can manage. If the schedule turns up I'll let you know what it says. Thurs and Fri is likely to be something like 2 hours cycling one day, an hour's swim and 30 mins cross trainer the other. Then maybe a swim of 60 mins Sat. Or maybe rest, not sure. But Sunday is the most I have to do and then from next week it winds down every week ... apparently it's important to cut right down, gradually, leading up to the marathon, from three or at most two and half weeks before. So maybe the following sunday would only be two hours or three rather than four... when I find it or get an update I'll post it here if you like.
    Riza, fancy posing as me? You can run in my place with pleasure!
  • Options
    I don't think I'm up for marathon yet Philippa. I admire you for doing all this (you're doing more training than I did!!!). Your weekly training is a lot more than I do, I don't know how you find the time. I hope that your calf will get better, do be careful with it and listen to your body. I probably need to go back to swimming as a crosstraining thing. This weekend I'm going to start learning the rollerblades. You can do it anyway, I think you've done enough training and the support from the spectator will help you all the way.
  • Options
    Philippa
    Yes, this is the worst week for training, I am also going to my longest run this coming Sunday - about 17 miles - then bring it down over the remaining 3 weeks and do speed sessions and shorter runs. If you can find your schedule it would be interesting to see, as I think your training plan sounds more fruitful than mine!
    I did the half marathon in Milton Keynes at the weekend but have done nothing since - sometimes I just cannot bring myself to go out and run! But I will be out this evening for 45 mins, and a bike ride tomorrow, then the running club on Saturday in Greenwich park. Be careful with your calf, sounds like you are doing all the right things but its important not to overdo it at this stage...well done on everything else though - you really are amazing!
    Naomi
  • Options
    How did it go last Sunday? I managed to skip my 1 lap last Saturday but will definitely do it this weekend. I also entered for Chris Brasher run, so this will keep my motivation going.
  • Options
    Phillipa,
    I won't be at the marathon to cheer you on but I'll be watching it at home and cheering for all 3 of you. Good luck!
  • Options
    Had a useless week last week. My calf hurt so skipped long runs on both Wed and Sunday. Just did a bit of gym work. Had a sports massage yeetrday and I was told there's no damage, it's just a tight muscle, so about to do lots of stretching and then go out and try again. I had one of those weeks where I couldn't face going for a run, and when my calf hurt, seized on it to abandon the idea.
    Now beginning to panic, less than three weeks to go. I've entered for the Chris Brasher too.
  • Options
    Don't panic Philippa, take the positive view and start getting excited. The worst of the training is now over and all that's left to do is to stay injury free for the next two weeks.

I've struggled with motivation over the last couple of weeks but now the pressure is off I am enjoying running again. I've done all the training I can and there's no more I can do except wait to see how it goes on THE DAY.

By the way, it's not naff to put your name on your shirt, it's essential. And don't forget to look out for the forumite support group who'll be around mile 18 waiting to give as many forumites as they spot the biggest cheer of the day.
  • Options
    Yep - definitely put your name on the front, I couldn't believe the difference it makes.

Don't overdo it in the last few weeks trying to make up for any missed runs - just taper and then enjoy. Running FLM is just no comparison to trogging around Richmond Park for three hours :o)
  • Options
    Philippa, I think you have done enough training. Just enjoy the taper and good luck on the BIG Day!!!
  • Options
    Good luck on Sunday and enjoy the day. I think you've done enough training so just enjoy the day.