Options

Why should married women change their names?

Comments

• Options

Don't see it matters which way a couple goes, but having the same surname just makes things a little bit easier when it comes to stuff like insurance, pensions, etc.

• Options

I've never totally understood how this works: women have been taking their menfolks' names for many many generations, so their 'real' names are surely lost. Most women I know, I know by their given names anyway, so not such a huge deal really. People should just do what they feel most comfortable with.

• Options

Dean.....my hubby didn't want a wedding ring and i was happy with this..........I had one as i believe that you have to have one in the marriage ceremony.at least the religious ones............

but I only wear it 2 or 3 times a year...its a bit of jewellery to me

• Options

If you don't want to change your name there's not much point in getting married.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Rickster wrote (see)

If you don't want to change your name there's not much point in getting married.

Because name changing is the entire purpose of the union? image

Nothing like wanting and promising to spend the rest of your life with the person you love, or even at a more cold and logical level the legal rights as a partner that married couples have over those who aren't.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Women - did you change your name and if so why? Just because it's traditional?

I would have happily changed my name but he said that i couldnt change my name if I couldnt pronounce it properly. So I didnt image

• Options

How do you expect to become his property if you refuse to change your name. They'll be letting you women vote and leave the kitchen next. image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

A man wearing a wedding ring, traditional!

Can't say I've heard of that one. 

Fashionable perhaps. 

🙂

• Options

the other problem of course is that most British women are trading the name of the first man to 'own' them - their fathers, for that of the 2nd man to 'own' them, their husbands.  Both are utterly sexist really.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Agree with that Ric.

The one bit of "Tradition" i'd be looking to break would be the first dance.

Lifelong commitment to someone? No problem.

Dancing in front of people? Wouldn't do that for anyone image

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭

women should change their names when they get married to show who they belong to.

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

I didn't expect my wife to change her name, but then getting hitched in our lunch hour wasn't very traditional. No time for first dances on that occassion.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    LouiseG wrote (see)

the other problem of course is that most British women are trading the name of the first man to 'own' them - their fathers, for that of the 2nd man to 'own' them, their husbands.  Both are utterly sexist really.

but the sons also have the name of their father, so that bit is not sexist image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    skotty wrote (see)

women should change their names when they get married to show who they belong to.

only the 3rd person to do this gag so far...any more takers? image

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    skotty wrote (see)

Haven't we established that the 'ownership' angle doesn't have any biters - it failed on page 1 and 2. I guess you are optimistic image

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

SG got there first - and not for the first time.

• Options
    dean richardson 7 wrote (see)
    LouiseG wrote (see)

but the sons also have the name of their father, so that bit is not sexist image

Mmm.  So why doesn't the mother 'own' them?  Right of ownership of women and children belongs to men. 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Louise, stop teasing the people, clearly you took my surname "G" when we got married image

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Lets not exaggerate the difficulty, not in this day and age ....... you enter online 99% of the time ..... so therefore everything is on a database somewhere. It would be quite easy at the time you register to have add a password field. If the person wishes to transfer their number they would go to a page where they reentter their password and update the fields.

The information is already in a database, so all you are creating is a new html page which can borrow 90% of the code from the original form page anyway.

Its really not that big a deal. And you could always have some rule that says you have up till 7 days before the race, so that well before the race starts you arent getting any last minute changes that you might have to cater for. Remember its just a name swap, you arent increasing or decreasing the amount of people, and the person is doing all the work by re-entering the information, you dont have to do a thing.

LouiseG wrote (see)
    LouiseG wrote (see)

Mmm.  So why doesn't the mother 'own' them?  Right of ownership of women and children belongs to men. 

cos she wants the man to pay for them?

• Options
    LouiseG wrote (see)
    LouiseG wrote (see)

A mother can register a child in her own name and do so without consent from the father.  A child can be registered jointly or by the father, with a statutory declaration from the mother.

It appears to me that the default position at birth is that children are 'owned' by the mother.

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

Louise, stop teasing the people, clearly you took my surname "G" when we got married image

I said it was sexist, I didn't say it was WRONG Stevie image

• Options
    Lou Diamonds wrote (see)
    LouiseG wrote (see)
    LouiseG wrote (see)

A mother can register a child in her own name and do so without consent from the father.  A child can be registered jointly or by the father, with a statutory declaration from the mother.

It appears to me that the default position at birth is that children are 'owned' by the mother.

Quite right Lou, in terms of current legislation, which is also sexist.  I was referring to the more tribal traditions underlying the social perspective on surnames.

• Options

Skotty, are you fighting with me AND DF3 at the same time?  image

Some men just can't multitask....

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    LouiseG wrote (see)

Skotty, are you fighting with me AND DF3 at the same time?  image

Some men just can't multitask....

stupid forum. and it won't let you edit.

• Options

I was just mulling on the serendipity of your neologism - mul-tit-ask... what could it mean?

• Options
    Peter Collins wrote (see)

I was just mulling on the serendipity of your neologism - mul-tit-ask... what could it mean?

Your dictionary is out of date?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/multitasking

• Options

Shouldn't all of the ladies on here be cooking a steak for their man, not sat on here nattering? It is 14th March afterall. image

• Options

I got married 3 years ago and was very happy to take my husbands surname for a few reasons:

It was much shorter and easier to spell than my maiden name, which is named after a town in Essex, and you'd be surprised how often is got mis-spelt. Lots of people referred to it as' Rhythm, whiteham, whitman, withers, wittam...and refused to spell it properly!;

I would jump up the register list from a 'W' surname to a 'G' image

The surname combined with my forenames flowed a lot better.

i'm quite old fashoned and not a fan of double barelled surnames.

i havent yet changed my passport as it expires next year anyway  so we have to make sure we book holidays using my maiden name details.

Aside from this it does seem a pain that the females have to go through the hassle of changing their surname on every official document. I reckon the husbands should have to pay half! image

• Options

Damn, I thought for a minute your name was Beaumont-cum-Moze.

• Options
    Rickster wrote (see)

Shouldn't all of the ladies on here be cooking a steak for their man, not sat on here nattering? It is 14th March afterall. image

how can you tell who is male and who is female as we could all be CATFISH wanabees......

and i can cook his steak whilst posting as well as cleaning the kitchen and feeding the baby and listening to the elder child read........... if you are talking about a woman ....