Options

Thursday 6th November

Since I'm here, might as well kick the new thread off before retiring.

Lyrics from 1980 & should be well recognizable I would hope......

what: something dead easy - probably 5 miles worth at outside 7 minute mile pace
why: cos I didn't do so Wednesday night when I should have done after Tuesday (leg cadence too fast - was making a pathetic first ever experimental effort at Pose); want to be fresh for a longish threshold pace effort Friday

last hard day: Tue
last rest day: Mon

& of course all this assumes the knee doesn't play up again....

Comments

• Options
    What... nothing
    Why... Single parent with 2 kids, as wife is away this week.
    Eh?...I wouldn't want to be a single parent full time, it's too much like hard work. Thinks....my own Mum did it for several years...Respect.
    Last run...8 miles slow on Sunday
    Next planned...Friday
    Weekly mileage...ashamed to report
  • Options
    Morning,

What: 6M pm, easy on grass
    Why: rest & recovery phase from marathon

Last hard: the big M
    Last rest: monday
  • Options
    Morning one and all

What: Run 4-5 miles this afternoon after work.
    Why: Consistency

Have a good day.
  • Options
    Morning,

What: a forced rest day as worn out from 13 days without one.

Why :training partners advice

Have a good day and Happy Running
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Weh-heh - thought lyrics were easy but the year has thrown me - thought it was 1982/3.

But my money's still on The Forest by the Cure (have it on a double gatefold single with an embossed cover... aaah, from the days when records were something to treasure).

What: Hour on turbo trainer, big swimming session
    Why: Thaw has set it! Have spent too much on physio to go out running in the ice again. I've learnt my leson
    Last hard: Yesterday's 6 miler in deep snow was tough in places!
    Last rest: Last Thursday
  • Options
    Morning,
    What:Rest, will probably test my knee out with very slow jog on Saturday.
    Why: knackered knee
    Last anyhting: Saturday
  • Options
    Morning All,

What: a.m. 5M v.v.easy, p.m. 8-9M steady with clubmate.
    Why: Using the fact that clubmate wants to go out Thursday evenings but always wants to do less mileage than I have planned for the day as an excuse to ease myself into doing a double on Thursdays. If I can tolerate this without legs going on strike will endeavour to add a couple more double days over the next 2-3 months
    Last hard run: Tuesday
    Last rest day: Monday
  • Options
    Morning all,

What: 6 mile jog done, 3 at lunchtime and another 6 tonight
    Why: recovery week
    Last hard: Sunday
    Lasr rest: yesterday

Have a good one
  • Options
    Er, take care MM. Alright as long as legs go on strike in a sensible, orderly well balloted procedure.

What: Sometime, today or tomorrow, cold, chores, legs permitting, I want to try my 6mile route run/walking 9/1 at my new improved pace. If this works, might try it in the just-for-fun 10 mile race in ten days time.

Might be more fun than plodding thoughout at go-forever pace.
  • Options
    What; 11 miles on 'T'.
    Why; on-call and am far more likely to be called evenings than at 7 am.

Always hated running in the mornings but the enforced alcohol ban definitely improves things. Still, can't wait for my Friday evening reaquaintance with the stuff!

Good running all.
    DCD
  • Options
    Morning all,

MM - I've started adding a few double days over the last couple of weeks as well. I've found (and others including BR and Pantman have said before) that the morning one should be a lot easier than the evening. The first run should be a loosener for the second. My evening runs have been feeling great after working out the stiffness from the day before in the morning.

Having said that, I'm getting some pain/stiffness on the side of my right foot, just below the ankle. Not sure whether this is down to double days, increased mileage or new shoes.

Anyway,
    What: hills with club tonight
    Why: strength
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: 6 days

Have a good one.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

I think I may have had a breakthrough on the base training front. I know that, to date, I have been somewhat unconvinced of its suitability for me, but have persevered (after a fashion) experimenting with different heart rates. Last week I did two runs with my partner at faster than 10K pace, plus three other runs at around 155-160 bpm (my base training HR should be about 150 bpm). By the weekend I felt exhausted and then came down with a virus.

Finally received my delayed copy of 'Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot' while I was off sick on Monday, and decided to give base training one more go, sticking properly to less than 70% WHR (in my case, 149 bpm) with 1-2 harder runs (80-85%) per week, as advocated by Parker.

Last night ran 6 miles at or below 149 bpm. Amazingly, for the first time since attempting base training, I didn't have to walk to keep my HR down (even on hills!) and it only hit 151 bpm once, when slowing my pace just fractionally caused it to drop down again. And I enjoyed my run. Although slow (10 minute miles) it was still about 45 seconds per mile faster than my first forays into base training three weeks ago. I am now motivated to stick with it for a while ...

What: Another 6 miles at below 149 bpm.
    Why: Aerobic training.
    Last hard: Last Thursday - fast run with Mr Minks.
    Last rest: Monday (virus).

Have a good day everyone. Good luck Stickless.
  • Options
    That's good news Minkin.

What: ~6 mile steady run from Putney station along the river to home this afternoon

Why: Thursday is a half-day for me and I fancied a lay in this morning, so didn't run in to work.

Last Rest: 12 days ago

7 day cumulative mileage (assuming I make it home) 39m

Have a good day everyone.
  • Options
    Morning all

Happy BD for yesterday TT - you should find the woods between Tervuren and Overijse a great place for running cycling etc - enjoy Brussels.

What : either 5,5 or 8 miles steady
    why : muscles still too sore from Tues circuits to tempt speedwork
    last hard day : Tues
    last rest : weds
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning

What:5 miles v.easy
    why:recovery run
    last hard:yesterday
    last rest:Sat
  • Options
    Anyone else getting really quite phobic about the lyrics thing? No? Just me then.

I shall be mostly trying to keep sane today.

Enjoy yor runs/rests.
  • Options
    Darn, just can't any of these lyrics, ever.

What: Fartlek at 7 min mile pace, should've tried to push towards 6 min but didn't, 30 sec recovery jogs in between, final cool-down 20 mins at 10 min mile pace. Upper body strength work at lunchtime with perhaps a bit of legwork.
    Why: scheduled

Going to have to start thinking about sticking some hillwork in & must start building steady mileage. Glad to see TT happy again!

Nice days all!
  • Options
    Aardvark - Don't blame me for doubles - BR and NickJ got me started!
    I found a VERY slow jog made the main run easier.
  • Options
    Morning

Ran a nice 4 miles ish with LynneW last night. Planning about 8 or so tonight. Legs are finally starting to recover from Sunday.

Have a good day everyone

M xx
  • Options
    Morning all

What: Aiming for another 6 miler tonight, see how the knee holds up.

Why: Recovery still after Marathon and Knee Problem

Last hard: Dublin
    Last rest: Yesterday
  • Options
    Morning all.

What: am 4 miles tempo run - done, pm 1 hours hard cycling.
    Why: Scheduled
    Last hard: Monday
    Last rest: Yesterday

Felt nearly normal when running this morning. Having two whole days rest really seems to have completed the recovery from the marathon. Also helped by the glorious sunshine and warm weather in London these last two days.
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    Will run 8/9m tonight easy, whilst daughter is at Guides.

Last rest - 13 days

Well done, Minkin, am pleased you have got past the first hurdle...persistence pays

Bod
  • Options
    spot on with the lyrics Lizzy - but not the date - I can remember listening to A Forest (back in the days when I used to listen to Radio 1) in the spring of 1980 in the runup to my finals at Uni.

Not feeling 100% right now, so tonight's plans may be abandoned.....
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Still not feeling 100% as was confirmed with my 9.35 miler this morning.

Average HR was 142, which on this course would normally equate to about 6:50 pace. Ran at a very easy 7:50 pace. HR was about 10 beats higher than it should be. But it felt ok so another few easy days should seem me back to normal.

MM, may do a 5k time trial towards the end of next week. This will give some indication of my current fitness level.
  • Options
    Hi all

Forced rest day after only getting back to running this week.
    Knees are a bit achy so will be wise and not push it too much (hubby already thinks i'm doing too much to get back into swing of things!)

sfh legs- yes i'm gonna explore the Overijse woods myselfand hopefully with a couple of british runners i met at the gym.
    Will run Tervuren park with hubby on Monday.

GREAT NEWS. well i've moved away and after completing summer series run for my uk local running club, i received a letter yesterday on b'day saying they've been trying to track me down as i won my category for the summer series.
    What a morale booster especially when i need it!!

Have a good day all
    tiaxx
  • Options
    Mike - being a sad anaorak I had to check on Google and you're right - April 1980 to be precise.

Well, against my better judgement, went for a quick run in the melting snow and ice at lunchtime (it's such a lovely sunny day, so I had to) and went a*** over t** twice in two miles. I'll never learn.

Turbo trainer beckons

Well done Tiny Tia!!! Prizes are always good, especially unexpected ones!
  • Options
    Afternoon all

What: 19.5 miles at a steady pace already ran this morning
    why: mileage building and longest run for about a month and wind down to 10k taper

have a good day everybody
  • Options
    Pantman - no blame attached, doubles are working wonders for me! My evening runs are feeling better than ever after a few gentle miles in the morning.
  • Options
    What: wee little 3-4 mile jog on the grass down the side of the park.
    Why: Still not sure how me right hips doing. Got some new trainers now so that should improve things. Plus 10 mile cycle ride to and from work.

Last hard: Frankfurt marathon 26th Oct
    Last rest: Yesterday (if you don't count the cycling)
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done TT!!