Barcelona Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

it will fly by!!!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi all!

Lovely to see everyone posting.

John - that elevation scares me! I choose to play ignorant until after the race (it worked for Giants Head!).

I did a double marathon this weekend (2 in 2 days) and apart from the appalling weather was nice to be able to test out some pacing strategies and fuelling.

What's everyone else up to this week?

• Options

FB, well done on that weekly mileage.Very impressive.

JM, you're right, 10 weeks will go in no time. Have an Easyjet flight from Luton early on Friday 14th so have arranged cheap hotel overnight there. Need to get down there by train and the tickets are now on sale. Makes it all seem much closer.

Emmy, amazing. I'm sure it's been said before but I stick to 2 marathons a year (or 3 in exceptional circs). 2 in 2 days scares me lots more than the Snowdon course profile.

• Options

Emmy - just to echo what Goldeagle said!! Snowdonia + another marathon is enough for me in a year!!

Training week 3 for me - meeting up for a 7 miler with Martin - an easy run he says, but the last time we went on an easy run with him the average pace was 7m10s!! With the wind out there today I'm expecting a slower run!

• Options

day off thank god! that wind isnt nice!

• Options

Emmy, you really are nuts!

I managed a 16 mile run on sunday finally as it stopped raining for a few hours but still windy! everywhere is flooded and waterlogged so stuck to roads and paths mainly!

Everyone seems well into training now! And plenty of speak about other marathons.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Lol - nah...not crazy just pushing the boundaries!

John - do you want to borrow my scooter that i tie the dog to? You could do that with Martin and get him to do all of the hard work for you!

The weather has been awful but really irratic lately.

Wenty - not sure where you were but in Milton Keynes it was perfect weather in the morning but started to go downhill around 1pm.

• Options

Well to be fair I did text John Bach in the hope he'd wimp out but unfortunately these valley boys are made of sterner stuff image

• Options

It's only a bit of wind & rain - will keep away from the prom though, just to be on the safe side Martin!! I half expected you to say you were going to the gym instead!!)

I hope you're able to enter your marathon results on the MT site after Emmy - look forward to hearing your name being read out this week!!

• Options

Yes Sunday morning was good for a run, it was on the coast near brighton, so was windy, but thats not a problem. Started raining around 1pm there as well.

I need to become a valley boy - Where do you sign up?

• Options
    Banksy7Banksy7 ✭✭✭

Emmy that is serious stuff..... how many marathons do you have planned for this year? I guess you have to take them at a leisurely pace so that you can actually recover. Guessing its probably a more enjoyable way to run in some respects too! Sometimes there is too much emphasis on times image

Talking of which managed a decent PB in the Central Lancashire HM yesterday shaving 3+ mins off to 1:25:15 ....pretty chuffed with that as it now means the sub 3 hour target at Barca is a realistic proposition! image

• Options

Oh thats looking good Banksy! I dont have a half marathon till mid feb, and i will use that to gauge if i am on for sub 3 hr! With my current training level i will be more like sub 4hr! 1:25 is def on for a sub 3hr! Well done.....

• Options

Intersting as my previous best was 1:28 and im also looking to get close to 1:25.

• Options

Nice one Banksy - yep, I've got to agree re sub 3 for your - a decent build up and better conditions than you had yesterday...

Which half you doing Wenty? I'm doing the Great North Western one in Blackpool (organised by same people who do the Central Lancs HM)

Still a bit breezy out there, but managed to time the run to avoid the rain and planned it so it was reasonably sheltered, although Martin probably not too happy with me as there were a couple of pools of water which got his new trainers wet!?

• Options

I'm doing brighton half (bad timing as its a week after a10k so will struggle to get some long runs in those 2 weeks). But Chi 10k and brighton half are 2 of my favourite races.

I need to get on the case more in the coming weeks!

• Options

Sorry it's taken a while to get back but a big thank you John for that very informative post on the Snowdonia route - and the graphic of the elevation - well appreciated (not!).

Windy in the Midlands today but I did get out and ran 17 miles (one more than planned) which was quite tough in the conditions. Certainly wasn't wishing to be beside the seaside today.

Did anyone notice the York marathon was sold out within minutes of going on sale this morning. Must be a good one - might think about it next year.

• Options

Hi Roger, Yorkshire marathon general sale entry sold out in 10 mins!!! but you can still get a place for this year by either buying a season ticket to all events or getting a charity place.

If you're interested for next year I'd suggest pre-registering this allows you to buy an entry in advance of general sale although these also sold out pretty quickly (3hrs). Chuffed that I managed to bag one of these for this year.

• Options

You're welcome roger - information at my finger tips as recently sent to someone else. Well done on the 17 - conditions not the best this end 1st thing - thankfully only an easy 5 for me, but had to battle horizontal rain at one point! Weather conditions thankfully improving!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Saw that york sold out. Ive heard its a good marathon but its not on my list due to the location.

Banksy7 wrote (see)

Emmy that is serious stuff..... how many marathons do you have planned for this year? I guess you have to take them at a leisurely pace so that you can actually recover. Guessing its probably a more enjoyable way to run in some respects too! Sometimes there is too much emphasis on times image

Talking of which managed a decent PB in the Central Lancashire HM yesterday shaving 3+ mins off to 1:25:15 ....pretty chuffed with that as it now means the sub 3 hour target at Barca is a realistic proposition! image

Honestly? Not entirely sureimage hopefully 2-4 a month if i can manage it!

Well done on the new PB - that is a great indicator of a good run at Barca!

• Options

Never thought about York Marathon. New York maybe! image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Wenty wrote (see)

Never thought about York Marathon. New York maybe! image

Indeed! that's my thought!

• Options

I did pre register for York Philip but when I got accepted in the Berlin ballot decided not to take it any further.

New York would be something else. Ive kept in touch with a guy that I ran a long way with in Edinburgh last year and he did NY in November. He said it was an incredible occasion in every sense but no way can I justify three abroad in one year.

PS, Wenty and Emmy ... now the decs have come down, shouldn't you be taking your Santa hats off?

• Options

Sorry Emmy (not guilty of above-said charge) ... just noticed copy and paste etc - bit technical that for me.

• Options

I looked into New York a few years back but on looking for accommodation I was well put off. The price of the cheapest dirtiest hotels was nothing short of extortionate and put me off for life. Shame really as I would have loved to have done the majors over the course of my life. 

• Options

Well done on the nice PB Banksy.  My half PB is 1:28 but it'll be a tough (maybe impossible) journey to get that down to 1:25!

The cold I had last week wiped me out and I missed five runs, including a 16-18 miler on Sunday.  So I am pretty jealous of you all getting your long runs in!  Still, I'm easing myself back in this week and hopefully the illness last week is my last blip on this training plan.  Couple of short runs so far this week and will attempt 18 this coming Sunday.

Oh!  I also got my tickets for Barcelona v Osasuna on Sunday.  Can't believe how few tickets are left!  I am so looking forward to going to the Camp Nou, that's going to be a once in a lifetime experience!

• Options

disaster strikes! got a bad pain in my knee after 6 miles of todays 9 and had to hobble home. went to my physical therapist( terrorist is what he should be calledimage) it seems i have a bit of itb syndrome which presented as pain where it inserts in the knee. 90 mins of painful deep tissue massage and off till at least sunday. fingers crossed. not a happy bunny. every training cycle seems to bring at least one injury!!!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

John - ITBs are quite easy to treat. I do one legged squats and core work and it really does the trick!

• Options

Sorry to hear that John (on the back of hearing about a niggle Martin has picked up) - hope it gets sorted soon! Foam roller session in front of the TV? As you say I'm sure most people pick up some niggle or another during marathon training! 

• Options

thanks folks.

yea some strength work and rolling over the next few days and back out sunday i hope. this week is a step back week so dont mind a few days off. being a running addict i get very grouchy when i dont run!!!!!!

• Options

John I'm in the same boat, my calf tightened up last night and funnily enough the exact same thing happened the exact same time just different leg. Just make sure you rest as advised and get stretching. Like E mmy says ITB are quite easily treated, you've got nothing to worry about there. If you look on YouTube there's a multitude of stretches you will find that will help you. I'm hoping it doesn't take me five months to get back to fitness like it did last year!

I've got Physio tomorrow then rest the rest of the week then cross train and ease back into things gently. I have some re-hab exercises from last year which I will be doing religiously as soon as I'm pain free. I suppose if there's a time to get injured now isn't so bad! 

All part and parcel of the joys of running, the last coupe of days I've been dreading getting out there in the cold and wind. Now I'd jump at the chance!