Options

P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭
    Debutant wrote (see)

Andrews148 - Chicago marathon for me hoping for 3:10

You?

Mine's my local, Jersey. Third year of running it, hoping for 2:54. Then London in April as I have a GFA. Booked hotel yesterday. Expensive outing!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all. 4 or 5 miles easy for me today as due to swapping things round a bit have a 22mi long run tomorrow. Still full of cold but choosing to ignore it. Last really hot day here in Manchester...tomorrow should be a bit more sensible (23C). Hotter down south though.

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

15w, noticed that with a cold. The run temporarily gets rid of the symptoms. Seems to clear the airways. Seem to remember having a really good training run (sub-lt I think) having taken a max strength lemsip type drink. Think I would've failed the random drug test. 

Rest day for me. Which is good since I'm stiff as a board. Long run with some company tomorrow afternoon. 

Enjoy the weekend everyone. 

• Options

Long run a bit of a struggle this morning. Was supposed to be 20 miles but got hopelessly lost and ended up doing too much walking, ran out time and only did 18 miles!image 

Really enjoyed tail running at the parkrun though - the last person suffered a calf strain just after the start and walked the rest so it was more of a tail walking role!image

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Morning all. Long run for me yesterday. I only managed 14 miles before knee pain forced me to hobble home. I cant quite work out if it is ITB related or due to the pounding the knees took in last weeks race. The pain seems to be coming from the same area. Plenty of stretches and exercises will hopefully sort it.

Enjoy the weather 

• Options
    andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

5miles recovery today. It was really hot and the tide was high, so I stopped at 3miles for a swim. Sea's still a bit cold, but it was lovely and clear. Ran back home in wet shorts image

High tide is at 10:45 tomorrow, so I'll aim to finish my 15miler before then and go for a dip. 28°C tomorrow.

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

4 recovery miles at 6am this morning due to wanting to get out before it was too hot - however even at that time it was still very warm.

12 miles LSR planned for tomorrow at similar time in the morning - temps for next week remain in the 30-32c bracket far too bloody hot for running in, think I may melt just a little image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all. Just off for my 22mi run. Wish me luck! Hope all ok out there...

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

15w hope you have survived the heat ok?

andrew hope you enjoy your swim this morning - sounds like a lovely way to finish off a run and cool off.

acp - 18 miles and then a parkrun is either mad or admirable - can't decide which image

Carter really hope you get your knee sorted out - have you a foam roller to batter your ITB with? - sorry if I have missed this info

12 LSR miles ran before 8.30am, felt tough again but already very warm not sure that i could do too many more miles in that heat - who said training for a marathon was a good idea in the summer!

Keep cool and hydrated everyone image

• Options
    andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

15 today felt worse than 18 last week, but for different reasons. 

15 with a cold and no water, in this heat.. image. Borderline heat exhausted now.

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭
    acp wrote (see)

I appear to have suffered some chafing between my thighs on my run this morning! Not sure if this is due to sweating more than usual because of the heat, my shorts are too short or my thighs are too big (do everybody's inner thighs touch at the top?!)! Or maybe a combination of all three...?!image 

acp - Sorry for late response.  I use bodyglide for chafing.  It's very expensive compared to vaseline but it seems to be to work better.  As regards whether inner thighs should touch at the top, everyone's different of course.  Mine used to, but they stopped touching after I lost some weight.

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

hope you survived your 22, 15W. it sure is humid out there.

i did 15 but it was hard to keep HR in check. my fault for running at midday...

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello - yes, 22 went ok thanks chick, apart from the fact I was a bit dehydrated at the end, should have taken some water with me. Not as hot up here in Manchester today, but still pretty warm. Did it in 2.40 which was maybe a bit fast...but I was quite keen to get home! Apart from the lack of water...everything else held up alright.

After run went up town with the family.

• Options

21 hot humid miles done in 3:45 today, feeling pretty drained now as it felt much worse than usual and couldn't keep to 10 min/miles, though ~ 3000 ft ascent in total.   Cancelled Berlin and signed up to Chester instead as it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper weekend (plus Chester was awesome last year and I get an extra week's training and can race the GNR instead of holding back to PMP)!

Looked back on my Garmin stats from last year and they were worse than I thought - only 7 runs over 14 miles, and only 3 of those over 18 (2x 18.4 and a 19.1).  I figure If I could get a 4:18 on that last year, I should be up for a 4:00 this year If I keep P&D up (or even close).

15W - great run in the conditions today!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all.

An easy 4 or 5mi for me today as have a couple of hard days ahead and want to recover from yesterday's 22.

Forecast is hot, dry and sunny for the next week...I was hoping we may have a bit of a cool down in the NW but doesn't look like it.

• Options

Nice easy 3 mile recovery run this morning. I've got a 5k race on Wednesday which I will make the LT run for this week then I've got to fit in a MLR somewhere! image

Some good running going on in the heat. Makes me glad I have to run so early so I miss the worst of it!image Paddling pool is already filled for when I finish work......of course I actually meant for when I get the kids home from school.....!image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Bit quiet on here...? Morning all. Got 11mi with 5@LT today...not sure how I'm going to manage that with my achy legs and the heat. May be messy. Hope all ok out there.

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Morning peeps.

Good long stuff in the heat 15w, daeve et al. I know just how you feel. Window this weekend for me was Sunday pm. 18miles in 2.21. Hilly and really tough. Did an hour yesterday and it was like pulling teeth. 

Gym at lunch, and track tonight for 8x800

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Morning. 10 miles for me this morning at MP done and dusted. It was nice to run in a mere 15 degrees before work. 

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone.

I started the "Up to 55mile12-week P&D programme" yesterday... Exactly 12 weeks before the Chester marathon.   I'm intending to modify it a bit.... but so far, I'm sticking to the plan very well image

• Options

Week 4/18...16k for me this morning in a nice steady 5:14/km.... it was 24c out there but it felt very easy..... after 23k on Saturday morning at the same pace and a couple of 30k bike rides in between I feel great image

I think a combination of increased distance and consistent training over the last 12 months seems to be paying off.... hope I'm not jinxing it.

Hi RunnyKnows... welcome aboard... 1 run down and 60 odd to go.... like the optimism image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello Runny Knows (RK).

Mark - you are very persistant in using km when the rest of us are using miles!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I used to think in km when I lived in France but can't get my head round them now.

Went out for a 5 mile easy run earlyish this morning then came home and dripped sweat all over the floor while stretching. Not looking forward to racing 5 miles tomorrow at a much hotter time of day. image

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Hi M.arkF.  Thanks.  But it's not actually 1 run down.  Mondays in the P&D programme are rest-days - which I stuck too religiously image

But to be fair, I did a HM on Sunday, so I did need it!

Have been doing a reasonable mix of running, typically getting the weekly mileage into the low twenties, so it's a bigger step than ideal... but I've got the remnants of an Autumn marathon and 3 subsequent halves in my legs, so I'm hoping it's going to be OK.

Anyone else just starting the 12-week programme? (anyone with any tips on it, they would of course be very welcome).

• Options

15West, literatin - I do live in France image

Can't get my head around these mile thingies any more image

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Quick quesion: (sorry if it's been answered in the last 63 pages).

Tonight's run is described as "General aerobic + speed  8mi w/ 10x100m strides p.m."

I'm assuming the "p.m." is a misprint, as it wouldn't make sense to stipulate a post-noon run (given that there's nothing the day before nor the day after)...  and I can't believe it means do 10x100m strides every mile.

I think it means do 8 miles at about 20% slower than MP, but with 10 sets of 100m strides thrown in towards the end.  If anyone thinks I'm wrong, or knows what the p.m. stands for, please let me know.

• Options

We did have a discussion about strides a few pages back.

You're correct... it is 10x100 strides thrown in somewhere... I did mine more or less in the middle.

No idea what the pm bit is.... my kindle is buggered and my copy of P&D is on that.

• Options

Runny knows - on the  spring thread we came to the conclusion that the pm was a copy and paste misprint on the up to 55 plan.  Some of the higher mileage plans had 2 runs a day so we thought they had made a little error.  I just stuck them in at a suitable point in the run i.e where there was a straight bit with no roads to cross!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I always put the 10x100 in in the latter part of the run. pm is a misprint.

Well...my 11 with 5@LT turned into 10.4 with 4.3@LT ... nearly blew up near the end of the LT miles so just gave in. I'll blame the heat. Doubts starting to creep in though....I think a sub 2.45 might be a goal just a bit too far for little old 15W.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Did you only just do it 15W? It must have been stupidly hot.