Options

PSOF Championships 2014 - Ironman France

Comments

• Options
    Iron Pingu wrote (see)

So I'm now looking at www.sportscoverdirect.com - anyone used them?  Cover sounds better:

/members/images/297947/Gallery/cover.png

Hi

Nice one Pingu  looks good...  agree cheaper and better cover than Dogtag

• Options

Have just called sportsdirectcover to check if a bike was part of the sports equipment category, and therefore only covered up to £600 inc helmet and accessories etc, even with their maximum policy, and unfortunately it is! image

• Options

So have just spoken to Dogtag... and although their baggage limit is £2000, there is a £200 single item limit... so again it won't cover the bike!!!  image

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    I'm only reading this quickly so forgive me if I'm misinterpreting but is the concern over loss/damage on flights? Suspect that insurers will tell you to claim against the airline if an issue occurs there?
  • Options

I just think it's a bit rubbish that by the time you add the cost of insurance and the cost of excess it comes to about the amount they're offering to cover bike!

I'm going with the sportscover one, at least the excesses are less.

• Options

the main this about the insurance is to make sure that it covers you incase of an accident during the race,,,,,,,,the medical bills can be much more than any possessions.....

and so you have to ensure that it covers racing ironman......

• Options

Apologies for butting in on this thread, but if you are a member of the BTA are you not covered for accidents etc. with them?

• Options

3rd party cover, yes *...... but not for any of your own medical bills. You need insurance.

* and only then when you are racing I think.

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

Sue/ Magna Carter - do you mean the BTF? If yes, the Sue, you are correct, as a member:

"You receive World Wide personal accident insurance, public liability insurance and free legal claims service."

Personal accident is medical bills, no?

• Options

i didn't think BTF  covered medical bills at all........hence at switzerland they were charging for drips and smiley lady had to pay for her hospital bills and get it from her travel insurance.....

and some insurance companies put ironman in the highest type of dangerous sports category for some reason.......

• Options

Yes, I meant the BTF - I still use the old-fashioned BTA

• Options
    • inclusion subject to notification and approval)
     Officials** LimitIndividuals Limit Lump Sum Benefit for Death (20% for under 16s) £10,000 £5,000 Permanent Total Disablement* £50,000 £50,000 Loss of Limbs, Eyes, Speech, Hearing £50,000 £50,000 Loss of Hearing in one ear £12,500 £12,500 Emergency Dental Costs    Max £5,000 Max £5,000 Hospitalisation Benefit £25 per night up to 30 nights (excluding 1st night)

• Options

Understand about medical cover and that is not the problem... but don't want to have to take one out for racing and then a seperate one for the cost of the bike to be insured.

By bike insured I mean during transport, in hotel, and during race... which is what I expected of these 'Ironman' specific policies image

• Options

that didn't work......basically the personal accident just gives you a lump sum if you have a permanent problem......such as loss of an eye or death.....plus hospitalisation  of £25 a night....

so will not cover you for treatment and tests and for being brought back to the UK if you need air ambulance etc.....

• Options

My bikes are insured under my house hold content insurance. As long as they are secured (i.e. inside a locked bikebox or hotel room) they are insured - I've double checked this with the insurance company. Only time they are not is if I'm racing.

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

that didn't work......basically the personal accident just gives you a lump sum if you have a permanent problem......such as loss of an eye or death.....plus hospitalisation  of £25 a night....

so will not cover you for treatment and tests and for being brought back to the UK if you need air ambulance etc.....

That was my understanding too.....

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

Seren - yes, I should have kept reading:

"This policy is not a substitute for medical insurance; especially when travelling and competing abroad it is strongly recommended that members take out relevant travel and medical insurance."

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    kittenkat wrote (see)

I administrate 4 out of the 5 races our club put on each year. Just as an observation, this year SO many more of our entrants haven't joined firstly or renewed their BTF licence if the were formerly members.

For many now it makes much more sense to get a day pass.

I think that is not unsual KK - usually down to a) laziness/forgetfulness and b) numbers of races done.  If you do a number of races then BTF membership makes sense esp. with the insurance cover.  and don't forget that club members get a discount.

your EHIC may cover you for a lot of hospital costs depending on what the injury is, but you're best getting full medical cover that includes the sports you're doing.  

I've said it before but it's worth repeating - if you partake in a number of sports competitively or socially then financially it makes sense to have an annual policy to cover you for anything you may do.  fit and forget kind of thing rather than having to think about cover every time you go on holiday and fancy doing a spot of paragliding off a beach, or a kayak trip, or something simple as hiring a bike.  have an accident doing many of these things and you may find your package holiday insurance woefully lacking.

we've had an annual policy for years - peace of mind innit??

• Options

At the risk of teaching an elderly female relative...

do remember to check your EHIC card as they expire every 5 years.  You can apply for renewal in advance of it expiring and it's free to renew.

• Options

I'm looking at annual cover this year as I've got a trek later in the year up a mountain over 4000m and you need insurance specific for that.  

The sportcoverdirect thingy one covers Ironman and the trek in the same insurance group so I think it's a good deal.

• Options

Home insurance would cover bikes away from home so you wold just need race day cover?

• Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭

I thought France was a member of the EU, do we not just need our medical cards?

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    Avalaf wrote (see)

I thought France was a member of the EU, do we not just need our medical cards?

EHIC (E111 that was) will give you basic medical cover but you'd be up shit creek if you didn't have full medical insurance and needed something like a medical repatriation, or a helicopter rescue, as they're NOT covered.   

• Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭

hmm, so better get looking then?  I'll need to check my standard travel insurance and see what it covers

• Options

Are we there yet? a month to go!!

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Going back to insuring the bikes - they are not covered by the sports direct policy when in transit anyway (and probably not dog tag either), it's one of the specific exclusions:

"loss or damage to valuables contained in baggage whilst such baggage is in the custody of Carriers and outside your control."

I'm confused now as to what cover for equipment we are seeking.  I think they are likely to be covered by your household insurance whilst in your hotel room etc.  However, I'm not sure what policies, if any, cover you for if you total your bike whilst racing.  Anybody?  In transit, you'd be expected to sue the carrier.

Aside from that, I think the key benefit we are all seeking is medical, isn't it?

• Options

having just done the tour of wessex and chiltern 100 on a tri bike i am still looking up 'Ironman Nice Bike Choice"

Can't anyone tell me what to do?

• Options

I didn't think anyone told Captain Picard what to do!! image