Options

PSOF Championships 2014 - Ironman France

Comments

• Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)

So, we all take 3 and '1 for Symes' which is kind of PSOF good luck gesture

How very kind!

• Options
    Is that a bit like 'taking 1 for the team'?
  • Options
    Mrs FunkinMrs Funkin ✭✭✭

Are we nearly there yet?

Symes, never say never...#konababy

• Options
    MandMsMandMs ✭✭✭

I'm still new at this.  Do you always feel like you haven't done enough training?

• Options
    I wouldn't mind 2 threaded CO2s if someone's organising and doesn't mind the hastle. Please
  • Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Here's my latest suggestion.

All who can bring their own cannisters to Bala, please do so.  Label them or the packaging you put them in.  We will hand the cannisters over to Schmunks, who will pass onto M and Ms.  Then we can liaise in Nice to collect.

M and Ms - where are you staying in Nice?

What we then need to know is who isn't going to Bala.  My suggestion is for some piratey nicety - if all the people who are going to Bala could take several extra, then we can loan them out to our fellow pirates in Nice.  If our fellow pirates need to use them, then they can replace or give the loaning pirate some money or something.  Hopefully they won't be needed and then can just be returned to the pirate owner in due course.  We can return them to M and Ms after the race to bring home and redistribute back to their owners at a later piratey gathering.  I will be marshalling at Outlaw (for example) and hopefully will see people there?

Is that ok? Or is that too complicated?

The other option would be to buy a box and get it delivered to M and Ms - it's about £20 for a box of 30 cartridges from here:

http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=256&category=2

or slightly more expensive if we want branded ones:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/genuine-innovations-16g-threaded-pack-of-6-co2-cartridges-1/

I'm happy to explore whatever options people prefer.  What do you think?

• Options

Either would be good for me... I won't be able to get to Bala, so dependent upon the help of others in this case. I'd happily buy a few and ship them to wherever if needed?

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

I'll be doing my own order for a bit of a bulk supply so if needs be I can grab an additional box of non-branded at the same time to be dropped of at Bala.

• Options

You want a whole box of 30 to yourself Symes?!!  image  That is unlucky to have / expect that many punctures!!  image

• Options

Just my tuppence worth which can be disregarded as I am a bystander/lurker but....

Apart from the buying/paying/lending scenario, another problem with buying a box is distribution once at Nice if people are spread out.

Mouse - You have made the offer to co-ordinate a handover at Bala and that should be enough.  If people arent' going to Bala, but want to arrange for CO2 to get there, they need to make their own arrangements.  I may be speaking out of turn, but I guess there are better things you would rather be doing in the run up to the race rather than facilitate others getting the CO2 they want

A simple solution is being offered.  If people can't sort themselves out to take advantage of the offer, then they need to need to make other plans themselves

• Options

Don't they sell canisters in France then??? image

• Options

Barley - you still need shield carriage out to France...??? 

Are you not coming or something??

I am in London and going to Nice so can help if needed..??

-

• Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭

Well, with i think 6 and a bit weeks out I can safely say that signing up for IM Nice with a new job that has a relatively steep learning curve probably wasn't ideal.  That along with setting my sites for a fast IM time at Austria next year with the intention of using this one to get me back into the habit of training was probably flawedimage

I've probably averaged 1-2 runs a week, 1 bike and 1 swim, which for me over recent years is pretty goodimage  On the plus side I've managed several 90 milers of the 2k metres ascent type and will probably manage another 3-4 before we leave and I've hit 17 miles in a training run.  Further than I have ran outside a race before.  So done the long stuff and if I sort out my swimming I should get round but perhaps not as gracefully as I intended.

As for the have I had enough if IM, yes I have, too many other commitments and things I want to do (such as the garden). After Austria its all half IM from then on I know I can blag themimage and a lot mroe cycling.

Timings on the day, 

1:15 swim if I sort my swimming out in the next 6 weeks

7 hour bike

4:30 Run, faster than previously by 45 minutes but intending a slower bike by 80minsimage

I'll bring some canisters to Bala if someone would be kind enough to smuggle them across for me.  

As Barlos would say "how hard can it be"  worst case is a very long day so just enjoy the experience and get your monies worthimage

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Schmunks, Rafi - true.  I guess most of us are going to Bala, if anyone wants to give me cartridges at Bala to give to Schmunks to give to M and Ms that would work.  If anyone isn't going to Bala and wants to send cartridges to me to give to Schmunks to give to M and Ms I can.  Or if M and Ms will give them his address, they can send them to him directly.

Then all we need to know is where M and Ms is staying in Nice?  The Ibis? And arrange a piratey meet up to collect.

Job done.

Also - M and Ms, you've not responded to my latest PM message, I'm not sure if RW is playing up though.  I've sent you my e-mail address.  Have you received it?

• Options

So .... we all give Mouse a £1 at Bala and she will organise Schmunks to be smuggled somewhere near an Ibis ?? 

• Options

Am i being daft here but if your canisters are packed in your bikebox with your bike isnt that ok on a flight?

• Options

Nope ... They'll make you unpack it

• Options

Fairy snuffimage i am a stranger to this taking a bike abroad thing

• Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭

Do we have a track pump plan of action t hat those of us staying at the ibis could share?

• Options

I've never quite figured out how to use those canisters image

• Options
    Just to complicate? Things further, considering two way flights I've been on over 20 planes with CO2, added myself to list as kinda assumed someone was buying a box and we'd pay for what we wanted, I.e. suggested 2.

I've only once been stopped with CO2 at Lanza in 2007, Lanza are well known for checking bike boxes carefully. Last year I took them out and back in my suitcase.

Given the above I don't think it's necessary to avoid taking CO2, as for the potential danger to an aircraft, I don't think their is on, it's a few grams of compressed air, it's hardly going to rupture a suitcase never mind blast resistant luggage containers.

I'm happy to do whatever the collective plan is but I don't think it necessitates a complex plan when some of those offering to help probably have higher priorities.

Appreciate the offer though.
  • Options

Surely though, Barlos, it's not down to what you think but down to airline regulations/restrictions.  

I know your aversion to being told what to do when you disagree with it, but you always end up whinging and whining when you get found out and the rules are upheld against you

Don't try and lead others down your avenue of rebellion image

• Options
    MandMsMandMs ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. 

I have decided i will be coming to bala so will be able to collect canisters which should mark everything easier.  Not yet decided whether to race yet but I haven't had a good shout for a while.

m

• Options

Walter i like your crystal meth so much i named my Whyte Cyclo cross bike after you

Hes calles mister whwite (said in a Jessie accent) i hope you approveimage

• Options

Quick question from a newbie who has never flown with a bike before...

What's the score with regards to getting the bike from the airport to the hotel? Do taxis normally take them without complaint? Do I need to find a people carrier style taxi that the bike will fit in etc?

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

I've never had any problems getting a taxi from the airport with my bike, although some do try to charge you more for the bike box, so check the price before.

• Options
    So who's on the 26th June 07:00 flight out of Bristol?
  • Options

I was about to say I was but then realised that I'm going out on the Friday!

• Options

MG - alternatively with this destination, there's an airport bus which goes to the station next door to the hotel, used it on the way back last time, no problems with bikes, think 3 or 4 of us were on at same time, bike boxes/bags everywhere!