Options

Comrades 2014

Comments

• Options

So, what would previous entrants recommend in terms of places to stay in Durban...

• Options

I ummm-ed and aaah-ed for 9 days but I've caved in and entered again...image

• Options

A whole 9 days? Are you well?!

PH - now there's a thought... 50/50

Poacher - have stayed in City Lodge and also Gibela's backpackers and both were fine. My experience runs out there though!

• Options

I'm still holiding out on entering. How long before I crack?image

• Options

Poacher - City Lodge was good last year.  A short walk from the Expo and apparently it is a great location for a down year as it is just a short hobble across the road from the finish.  The Hilton is also handily placed and a lot of things seem to be organised from there but of course it is more expensive.

PH - I hope that Achilles plays ball at New Forest.

• Options

thanks Fido/B7.

Bike It - it has your name on it...

• Options

Did my first decent run since Comrades on Sunday at the Bacchus marathon - 4:07 on an undulating (six months ago would have been very hilly) off road course. Fantastic final couple of miles- all downhill - flew down it (well it's all relative) and thought of next June. 9th woman - not bad and first race in fancy dress. Also great to catch up with AONEH again - he had a brilliant race (3:04) being one of four guys to break the previous course record. All in all a very enjoyable day out which gave me some confidence back - didn't fall over once. Lets see if I can keep it up this weekend for The Green Chain marathon and then on to Chester to hopefully get a qualifying time.

Bike it - I don't belive that you are going to waste all yout hard earned knowledge just giving us advice - what are you waiting for?

PH good luck with the injury

Muzza and RR - have put my Boston entry in - fingers crossed.

• Options

Well done Jacquie.  That is a super time for that race - I guess that you didn't stop too long at the refreshment stations!  I hope that the arm is all better.

Some of us have to wait a bit longer to enter Boston Marathon!  

• Options

Becca7 yep Boston entered yesterday, should be in but have to wait apparently. 

Poacher, I've booked Belaire suites right on the sea front as someone on here said it was good. 

Can't seem to find out exactly where the finish in Durban is so not sure if its far from my hotel or not. 

• Options

Muzza, I'm booking my flights & hotel next week when I get paid!!

looking at staying at the belaire suites too so will have to meet up!

anyone on here doing Chester next month? 

• Options

Becca - yes, me too - I have a 'meeting' booked in my diary around 3pm on Friday image.

• Options

Muzza - the finish is on the Kingsmead cricket stadium pitch - I think it's now called Sahara Stadium or something?... Closest hotels are Hilton and City Lodge.

Poacher - I've stayed in City Lodge most years... very handy for staggering back from the finish on a Down run...

• Options

Carmen taught me to stagger as far as the Hilton and then ask the nice doorman there to hail a taxi (he always did a much better job of explaining where I wanted to go than I ever managed). Was very impressed a couple of years ago that Odeon walked back (a good couple of miles, in the dark) afterwards! We could barely manage the kerbs to get the 200m to the Hilton!

• Options

Good luck with all your Boston entries - I hope you all get in.

• Options

Stephen Weston, yeah cool be good to meet up! 

It's not far from the finish, should be able to crawl that far.

• Options

Just got my Boston acceptance - it's going to be another exciting year!

• Options

Boston accepted for me to! It's like Christmas has come early image 2 massive ticks off the bucket list if I can get around. 

• Options

Back in for my B2B too... Look forward to sharing the "run in" on this thread. Good to see so many familiar names. Helps build the excitement and certainly keeps me focused on the task in hand.

I could see the Down run finish stadium from my Hilton room this year .. So will check in there in order that I can definately stay and watch the 12th hour cut-off this time .... my lips were unfortunately turning purple this year at the finish so I had to leave and catch the bus back to Durban early.. and missed the drama!

• Options

Very important question for Boston people re the registration form. On the basis that if I do get in, and finish, I'll be wearing the t-shirt a lot, what's the sizing like? I know a ladies medium in France is about the right size for me, but in the UK I'd be a small. I'm guessing US sizes are likely to be roomier?

(I'll get on to posting stuff about training later image).

• Options

Tshirts are always a gamble unfortunately. Does my head in, it's like shoes as well some you can be a 9 another like Adidas u need a size bigger. Why size can't be universal ill never know. 

• Options

Hi All,  registered for my first Comrades. I was born and grew up in Durban so watched this race many times through the 80's/90's and still recall the Fordyce era very fondly. 

I just ran my first two marathon race(s) in April this year and after reading this thread it seemed like a good time to fulfil a goal I set a long time ago.  Already picked up quite a few tips from the comments so far but looking forward to keeping in touch over the next 9 months or so.  

• Options
    argh still not getting any notifications!

I'm appalled at all the Boston talk - i am officially the slowest person on this forum - oh well, hopefully i can plod round one more time!

Speedy - i cant believe you almost didnt enter? did this year scar you so much?

I've recruited a newbie super fast person from work - he's already done a mountain marathon this weekend in training!

as usual, ive nowhere to stay and no flights booked...image
  • Options

Welcome justanothrrnr you're in for a treat!

Carmen - 'twas a very hard day on the old road this year... but I've also had my head turned by a few other runs which are close to Comrades on the calendar...

I'm also still flightless and stayless...

• Options
    Not homeless anymore - my newbie friend suggested booking thru Agoda so i did and got 5 nights in belaire for ??120- cheaper than my normal hostel!
  • Options

Good deal Carmen I paid about £200 for 6 nights so u did good image 

• Options
    Yeah but Muzza i'm probably in a shed on the beachimage
  • Options

Ha, if u are don't get sand in your shoes it will run like hell. Seems pretty close to the finish. Plthere here's a parkrun right outside the door on the Saturday. 

• Options

Carmen - I'm able to enter because I've moved up an age group. You don't have to run faster, you just have to stay alive long enough to meet the qualifying times image.

• Options

RR - great!  I should be good to go by the time I'm 84.  Assuming I don't slow down of course.

• Options
    Rodent, this is my 4th- i'm clearly a glutton for punishment. Or too stupid to learn a lesson image

Muzza being on the beach is a first for me - I normally stay up in Morningside and look down on the rest of youimage