Options

Comrades 2014

1424344454648»

Comments

• Options

I wouldn't panic, visit your GP if it's really painful or a physio your running club/ running friends recommend nearby.  Find a physio that regularly treats runners and he/she should be able to diagnose what's causing the problem and suggest some treatment and/or exercises to get you back on your feet.   

You seem concerned so I wouldn't ignore it - worse case is you compensate elsewhere creating more problems and prolong your rehab

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

+1
    +don't do anything that hurts and just leave it alone until a professional has said what's wrong (thinking here of a friend who had a muscle tear and kept stretching it all the time which may not have helped it to heal up!). Most likely it will be fine in a few weeks.

• Options

Carmen: as someone who hovers endlessly on the edge of injury, I absolutely concur with Justanrnr. If your GP is sympathetic to runners, go see them, else get a recommendation for a reputable sports physio. In the meantime, RICE is the way forward.

Good luck and welcome to the world the rest of us inhabit!

On another topic, Cloggyland was MAD last night, you'd swear they had won the World Cup!

• Options

Finally back in the UK! 

Great to meet so many of you out there. Without doubt, THE greatest race I've ever done, absolutely loved it. Slightly disappointed that my legs weren't strong enough in the last 20mile, but 8 hours 19 seconds not bad for a debut! 

however, bit of a sour note....

had my medal stolen from my room at the bellaire suites, totally gutted.

Have emailed comrades twice to see if I could get a. Replacement but they haven't replied image

• Options

So sorry Stephen, that's awful, I felt bad after losing my patch, I hope comrades come back to you with a replacement, great time though and well done!

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

Hi Stephen.  I hope that the trip to Ethiopia was good.  Sorry to hear that you have had no joy regarding the medal.  I guess that Belaire Suites have not been able to exert any influence either.

• Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Stephen - that's horrible! I hope Comrades can sort something out for you.

Jwheezy, I found patch left behind in "our area" in the international section which nobody wanted to claim. It must be yours (well, it is now) - happy to post it to you.

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

SD - Well done on the SDW100.  Should you not be asleep?

Well done to the amazing Jacquie on her midweek marathon, dressed as batgirl.

It is taking me longer to recover from the down run compared with last year so still relatively light mileage for me.

• Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    Stephen that's terrible, so sorry to hear that. I stayed at Belaire too, really shocking.

Thanks for all the injury advice folk! Have emailed a physio recommended by Jacquie so hopefully he'll reply. No idea who my GP is but imagine all a doc would say is 'rest'!
  • Options

Thanks everyone. Bellaire Suites have been bloody terrible really Becca! 

Ethiopia was brilliant if a little crazy, did a couple of runs out there & felt like a celebrity as everyone shouts & cheers on the crazy Englishman!!

Did the Scafell Trail marathon today & was bloody hard work, give me the roads anyday, Lakeland 100 in just under 6 weeks so time to get my finger out!! 

• Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Becca7 - hahahaha - fell asleep at the keyboard shortly after my last post! Now I'm wide awake at some unearthly hour - funny what walk/running for nearly 30 hours does to you!

Stephen - good luck on the Lakeland 100 - I've heard that it's a particularly tough one...

• Options
    Sorry to hear about your medal Stephen, what a bummer.

Where were you in Ethiopia? I went there last year, and I remember all the tiny local children coming out and running alongside (I suspect I also heard the Amharic for 'who is this large pale lady and why is she running so slowly?).
  • Options

Stephen - really sorry to hear of your medal theft. I had my Vic Clapham with me from 2013 as I wanted it to be there to hopefully meet my back to back and bronze. It did meet them thank goodness and I got quite a few comments about being mad for bringing it back....I never thought anything of it but when I left my room, I put it in my room safe. I was staying at City Lodge. I though it was overkill but there you go.....I hope you get it all sorted.

Well done all those who did SDW100....true lunacy.....but impressive.

I have been back running and am doing Southdowns Marathon this coming Saturday - nice and gentle mind. image

Hope you are all well and just about recovered - those who ar einjured I hope you get back out there soon. image

• Options

Running Rodent - nothing to do with Comrades so sorry, but I saw you had made a comment about Croydon Ultra - sorry if not you. Would you rexcommend it ??  Thx. image

• Options
    Yes, guilty as charged. It was my first ultra, two years ago. I finished as third lady (yes, there were only 3 image ). Debra Bourne's done it too.

The route is much nicer than you would expect from the name. It's a figure of 8, so you can leave stuff at the start,finish and halfway points, which are all in the same place. The first half is on country roads, and the second is an out and back on a cycle route, so it's at least partly traffic free. The downside I'd say is the potential to get lost - I did the whole route in advance, in two chunks - there are places where you're running through town where it gets a bit complicated. The year I did it most of the signposting was washed away by torrential rain - I think it was a bit more robust last year.

I'd say it's worth a go, but make sure you can read a map.
  • Options

Thanks RR.......I have looked at the run instructions and followed them as best I can on Google Maps.......I wear glasses to read but don't carry them when running, so, that was my concern. Would like to give it a go so thanks for that. image

• Options

had 4 days in Addis, then 4 days staying with friends 5 hours away in a place called Hawassa.  Fantastic place & the people were amazing. Funny thing was I never saw any locals running while I was there, they were more interested in football. God knows how they produce so many good runners!! 

Comrades have been back in touch! 

Sending me a new medal for the pricely sum of 30 Rand plus 35 postage. 

Well worth the money!! 

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

So glad to hear that you are getting a replacement medal Stephen. image

• Options

edited: Just seen there is already a 2015 thread.. Aplogies image

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Yup, glass you are getting a new medal.  Just R35?  Wow.

• Options

Stephen,

Terrible news, but glad Comrades are making it good. Renews your faith in human nature.

Sad to say but I never travel with anything valuable, emotional or otherwise (I even leave my wedding ring at home), and I always use hotel safety boxes or alternatives. Better short term safe than long term sorry. Sigh.

Good to see almost everyone back running. Not me, knee/ankle not yet better but it will be, given time. In meantime, plenty of other things to keep me out of mischief.image.

• Options

Great news Stephen. image

• Options

hi all,

Great news Stephen with the replacement, good to have a happy ending.

Slow Duck, I did look around a bit at the end but couldn't see it through all the finishers, would be great if it's mine and you could postage, happy to pay postage and will definitely buy you a drink at the next meet up, will message you my details if that's ok.

Slotwin,  take as much time to rest your knee/ankle as you need it will be better in the long run then starting prematurely.

Best of luck with the recovery!

Looking for another gentle run tomorrow morning. 

Happy running all.

• Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Jwheezy - no problem. I'll put it in the post when you message me the details.

• Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭

Having been inspired by all the reports..... I've gone and done it..... i've booked my flights..... i'm going image. Now have just under 1 year to get in shape and get used to some longer distances!

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Not sure how many people know Digger - probably oat I think.  This paragraph from his race report is stunning.  He DNF'd unfortunately.

"What happened next will stay with me forever, and when the time actually comes for me to die, if there is such a thing as an Angel, I want them to be like Ruth. At first I couldn’t work out what she was doing, but somehow she managed to bend over, hold my head tenderly and kiss me gently (which was no mean feat with 82km in her legs), before she pushed onto Kingsmead for her medal."

Just wonderful.

• Options

Possum Hopper: Croydon 30 new route includes some trail through woods early on, so less on the country roads. It's a pleasant, small, low-key race, with quite a choice of nibbles at (approx) 7.5, 15 and 22.5 miles. 2012 (when I ran it) it varied between heavy rain and light rain, but was warm (about 18 C); last year (when I staffed the 22.5mile checkpoint) it was hot and sunny.

Stephen: great that you're getting a replacement medal.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

For those going next year, Expedia has a special rate right now for the Hilton Hotel - $130 per night incl breakfast.  That's cheaper than the Comrades special rate.