Options

Tamslin Lewis podcast: Ironman/Marathon, bad for your heart

2»

Comments

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Concur.

I'd like it noted, for the record, that if I were to die training for or during a triathlon, I died happy and doing something I enjoy.

If it does happen, please would someone tell my Mum and Dad this?

Thanks.

• Options

went to a talk post olympics with the cardiolgist dude responsible for all the athletes.... his worry was the sudden death/ heart attack issue.... {like the foot baller a year or so ago - tragic and so unexpected

his view point was that any athlete has a heart that is 'abnormal' by normal standards.  it has thickning of muscle walls that is normally associated with cardiac disease in normal individuals.... in athletes / fit people its fine/expected and not an issue.  next time you go for an ecg/ct scan tll them you are in the to 1% of the population fitness wise.... (because anyone who hits the start line ad has done th e training of an IM is....)

he suggested that athletes, (proor amature) have hearts that survive 7 years + longer than sedentary individuals.   obvioisly some die young/old in each category but  use it or lose it....

• Options

Well there we are then. We're all fine!

There goes another excuse to not train! Trainers back on everyone image

• Options

fascinating thread , death is part of life, and I think I can echo what seems to be the consensus here, just get on with it, and get a check up if something seems off.

As a Paramedic I have seen a lot of death ,and very little of it comes from hobbies such as ours, do what makes you happy image

• Options

Thats just what I was thinking on reading the Nice report at the moment ... however sad it is that someone loses their life in 'our' sport or any sport for that matter it cannot compete with those who lose their life through inactivity

• Options

Interesting feedback from the cardiologist OC and completely agree Melds