Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Probably a bit of that in it Kaz. I've not been running consistantly since September as I've had a run of injury/holiday/illness and now the cold weather is kicking in I feel out of shape and starting to think about trying to get in shape for the start line in Paris. I need to stop thinking too far ahead and concentrate on smaller steps for getting back to good running condition.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Kaz - I shall not complain about 5c.... but its 1c in Eindhoven and theyre forecasting snow image

Jo - I'm not expert about the feet but if appears in all your shoes (does it include non running ones?) then i'd think about your arch. Have you iced/rested it?

My issue with speed work is exactly that its not long enough and I dont feel that i've done "enough" for my workout. I did a speed session with B at the weekend. He was on his bike and cycled along with me doing intervals so I had to keep up a certain pace for a km and then speed up/slow down.

Eggy - One run at a time. They cant all be fantastic but they're not all awful either image

• Options

Speedwork. I do a longer workout - 8.5 miles in total. It’s a mile warm up. 7 miles of intervals/jogs and half a mile warm down. It’s a beastly session.  To start with, you have about 6 reps – and the rest is a jog, but then you build it up over the training plan to about 11 reps and the reps last longer. The in between jogs get quicker as the session goes on and the reps become more knackering so the raw speed of the reps towards the end are a bit slower. I do it on the flat circuit of the Regents Park outer circle. I am able to measure improvements over time by the mile averages and overall finish time of the session. The heart rate graph on garminconnect has the right spikes.  This is good session for those who only train 3 or 4 days in a week as the length of run helps your endurance. If it’s a race week, i tend to take this session out of the equation and replace it with a similar distance at target pace.

• Options

Kaz, I'm shivering just reading about the cold up with you.  Good to hear you are going to be eating more.  Must be difficult with your allergies so hope you find what you need.

Emmy, that dog of yours is very talented, fancy a dog being able to cycle  ;-)

Eggy, just ease back into it slowly.  The running I mean.  You know what lies ahead and what needs to be done.

I'm full of the cold and staying inside today.  Making lot of nourishing food from yesterday's veggie box.

Stay warm everyone!

• Options
    Emmy H wrote (see)

Kaz - sounds like a good plan. Ít's always better to take a rest day than risk getting injured. How's the weather up there?

Another 6 miles done this morning and despite the pace felt like I was going to throw up at a few moments image

KS - Does this mean that you'll be pacing us around sub 4 come April?

Hehe, I don't know about 'pacing' round but the plan is to definitely try to hang on! How many sub 4s have you got now?

10k race on Sunday and I'd really like a PB. My current 10k as stood since last summer as 53:23, I reckon I can beat that with my 5k PB at 24:21... We'll have to see what the weather's like/the sleep I get/the alignment of the stars.

• Options

i enjoyed speedwork as it was over quicker.

• Options

I did some 'speedwork' on the 'flippy-flappy' machine in the gym at lunchtime. Legs and heart going like the clappers. It was almost like running but with more flipping and more flapping. And normally you can't see little pools of sweat building up underneath you when you are running outside. Yuck.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

TP - Get well soon! I think I might need to use weedy's genius to photoshop a picture of my boy on his bike!

KS - Just the two! The aim for winter was to try and get as many close to sub 4 to get the speed into my legs. I think both times i've been holding on for dear lifeimage I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for your 10km. With a current PB of 53mins a sub 4 should be well within your reach!

• Options

Thanks Emmy, only happens when running, and (after experiencing it again today at lunchtime) it's not just the arch, starts around the outside edge then sort of works its way round to the instep (both feet)! I've not iced as by the time i've got back to the house and changed it's not bothering me anymore.

• Options

It's interesting to read how people rank short distance times against a marathon. I guess I've always based my own experience against my sub 4 attempts, which means I look at sub 50 for 10km and sub 1:50 for a half as sub 4 marathon territory.

Put me down as another that hates speedwork, but it's something I'm going to have to work on if I want to run well in Paris. I never view it as too short, just too bloody painful. I find it far easier to step up distances than knock off seconds.

KS - Good luck for your 10km. For 10km races I work off the theory if I'm not hating every second of it I'm not pushing hard enough! That seems to have knocked me into consistant sub 50 land.

• Options

The sort of speedwork that really accelerates improvements in running pace, is the kiond descriobed by Eggy - it should be a bit of a sufferfest. As James said earlier, it doesn't last so long so you can grin and bear it, but it should be pretty intense. The pleasure comes in the tiredness and satisfaction immediately after, combined with a bit of relief it's over. BUT.... the deep satisfaction comes from being able to run faster and harder, of seeing PB times tumbling.

• Options

Congratulations TD the above was post number 4000 !!!!

• Options

And it's only me who has started training yet....

• Options

UisgeJo - foot problems can be caused by tight calves, especially if you've been trying new shoes. Make sure you stretch your calves, and if you have a roller, give them a bit of rollering to loosen any knots. 

• Options

Thanks RR, the roller will definitely be out tonight! I think foam rollers fall into the same category as speed work, hurts like hell at the time but worth it for the results afterwards!

• Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)

I'm thinking about starting ... that's a start in itself   image

• Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)

I'm squinting at it sideways - actually admitting that I've I might have started is just rather scary and decisive. Long run of 15 miles due this weekend though and this will be my longest run to date. I'm a minnow compared to you big fish.

• Options

YM  - Of course you've started training! You're going to blitz sub-4!

TP - It definitely is!

Kaz - Can you tell us what book you're reading with the training plan?

I'm feeling decidedly apprehensive about training. I haven't built up anywhere near the base that I'd hoped, my fitness test results left me feeling utterly hopeless and I've really not sufficiently got my head around the results to translate them into a training program yet.

I ran my first 5km today after these wretched infections. It was nice to be back out there, but trying to keep my HR under 155 BPM was tough. I see large chunks of walking in my marathon training future. image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

YM - I haven't really stopped training. I'm building up to the longer distances and aiming to get more BIG runs before Paris. 

I do a set of pyramids on a Tuesday. The first week I wasn't able to keep in my target zone and had to walk a bit. 5 weeks in and I've managed it twice and Its getting easier. Next week I shall increase the distances.  They are hard to start with but you get better at them with repetition

• Options

Orbutt - it oohs to me like your times are steadily dropping?

I intend to do all my future speed work on the treadmill. 

• Options
    YM- I've started my training as well , I use a 20 week make it up as you go along programme,

Finished today's session , one mile warm up, one mile 10km pace , two mile of hill repeats, two miles of 100 metre sprints and a mile warm down to finish

It was cold and windy and I didn't enjoy it , and I'm missing sugar

Eggy - I had a case of CBA as well ,,but I put on my shoes , got wrapped up and got out there ,, and now ,,, now I feel worse for it , I should've just stayed in the house with a large tub of Nutella , a long reach spoon and naked female ,but all three I currently don't possess so running it is !!
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Dannirr - yes, the times are dropping as I'm consistently keeping in my target zones ( 4:45 - 5:00 per km) this means that I'm completing my session faster. 

This also means I now need to work harder to keep improving.  

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Hi, Philip. Welcome to the thread.

There are markings in both kilometres and miles but there's no doubt that the Metric ones are much more visible.

With a bit of luck, you'll get lots of support here...including techno mumble and everything-Garmin.

So, what does everyone else do? Metric or Imperial? Me, Metric.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hi Philip. Tell us about yourself. Post your bib and pen and they'll get added to the list. 

I would recommend training in Km. Paris is measured in both Km an Miles but the Km markers are more prominent.

however, that isn't why I train in Km. It's easier to adjust your pace, as you clock up the k's faster than miles, so you getter faster feedback on your pace. 

• Options

The metric conundrum!

I think it depends on what you use as markers when you train.  If you use a gps watch, then just run the race in the same units as your training - you don't need their signs and when your head gets foggy near the end, you need to rely on what you are used to rather than making mental conversions.   I train and race Imperially. And Empirically.

• Options

Miles ...... And I like the fact that European marathons are in kms, as when I am pacing myself on the garmin to minutes per mile, the kms come at different points which makes it feel like I am making good progress. 

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

The trouble with relying on the watch is that, with weaving and not taking the optimum line, it can clock you covering the distance faster than you actually are. My watch had me over by about 700m in Berlin. 

I always have the backup of a pace band to check against the markers

• Options

I tend to mix my units of measure.

e.g. 10 miles @ 5 minute/kilometer pace. Keeps the brain active...

• Options

Hi Phillip

TD - you'll be back out there soon enough

Emmy H wrote (see)

I think I might need to use weedy's genius to photoshop a picture of my boy on his bike!

Boyska needs to meet Norman the Scooterdog image