Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Great idea, but can't promise!  Did this for a while earlier this year, but it included fruit and anything else with sugar, it was phase 1 of the "Harcombe diet".  By day 3 I felt appalling, withdrawing from caffeine and sugar.  Apparently it's the sugar withdrawal that makes you feel the worst.  I've largely switched to herbal and decaf since then but the sugar is back.  I don't drink alcohol any more though and a girl needs at least one vice.

Hubby had declared he was off to a footy match on Boxing Day (Blackpool).  Turns out it doesn't start till around 5, so I've just entered this 10k: http://www.runningdiary.co.uk/go/view.cgi/11504

I used to work near Worden Park and it's lovely, will be a good spot for a run.  Given the huge amounts one feels compelled to eat on Christmas day, I will try and avoid having a pb as a target and just see it as a training run.

Good luck for those running tomorrow!

• Options

I just don't think I can do without sugar. I try to eat reasonably healthily, cook from scratch, fruit & veg etc, so that will have to do. 

Parkrun completed this morning - had a good race with the woman next to me - although she beat me to the finish line I knocked around 10s off my PB to finish in 23:23. That'll be my baseline for my month's training and I'll see how much I can reduce it by. I was originally thinking of 23 mins as a target, but now I'm thinking I might be a bit more ambitious.

• Options
    A day off running today for me , I had park run yesterday and a six mile charity race on Friday which pitted me against the captain of my local football team ( Clyde ) who I work beside , it was surprisingly close for most of it but his youth and vigour saw him beat me by a few mins but I got a fast training run out of it and raised over ??300 pound so far for charity in the process ,, so I'm happy

I've of the opinion that any Scottish people that can manage the two week no sugar challenge should get extra points , mainly due to the fact that our diet generally consists of as much sugary goodness as we can consume , fizzy juice cakes chocolate sweets are pretty much the staple diet up here

That said I'm in

RR - well done on the park run , it's a pretty fast time you've already achieved but with some speed work and some cross training the times should come down

I started off this summer looking at sub 24 , and I've since dragged it down to a sub 22 with ,, speed work running sessions , swimming twice a week and another cross training exercise I'm currently doing one weekend a month , if you need assistance I'm happy to helpimage

Good luck to Emmy for today's marathon wherever it is

And pottermoss and jimbob in Valencia doing the marathon

Anybody else out running - enjoy the run and take care
  • Options

Great Park run RR! And well done ont the charity run Scott! image

My weekend has been 7 miles on Friday afternoon, 10 miles yesterday morning and 12 this morning-Rest day tomorrow, well strength training and metafit!image Due to the awful weather all runs were just about being out - No way you can get a decent pace going when you can hardly stay upright! 

Naomi really want to start my swimming off later........I will see what other priorities I can come up with! But Swimming is part of a challenge I have set myself to complete before I am 45 so I will need to start sometime! 

• Options

Okay party people, the supporters guide is updated for another year.  If you want to really freak out your prospective supporters and/or start the training for those already committed (mentally and physically) pop me a PM or email on radar underscore sal at yahoo dot com dot au (I'm hoping you can translate).

As always I take no responsibility for lost and/or mentally affected supporters. image (I refuse to use christmas smilies until December)

• Options

Awesome Scoot! Great fundraising and running too. Just ate a deep friend mars bar in your honour!

Please can I have a copy of the supporters notes? I won't be there but it could be useful for persuading husband that we NEED to be there next year...

• Options

I am a week into the No Sugar thing so I have gone through the psychotic phase.  I shall support from the smug echelons of The Other Side of The Pain.... image

I refuse to use Christmas smileys at allimage

• Options

Charlie4 - PM me your email or email me.

• Options

Lovely run this morning at the Fraserburgh Half, gorgeous conditions. chilly to start, but great once moving! 1.54 not a pb, but running with a friend so wasn't chasing one, felt comfortable the whole way so happy I can push the pace when I need to.

Too scared by the no sugar diet! good luck guys! but have been doing the 5:2 diet for about 6 months and have been feeling better for it, not sure how it's going to work with mara training though?

Radar Sal, I'll drop you an email for the supporters pack, other half coming across willingly, but any tips/recommendations would be welcome!

well done everyone out there this weekend, some great park-running!!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I'm done! Jesus that was cold and tough trail! 4.13 and I think even splits as I could go.

big congrats to Jimbob and pottermoss for Valencia!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

I have way too many sweet teeth to give up sweet stuff. Couldn't be done, I'd be homicidal in a couple of days.

however, in order to bring balance, I shall give up sprouts, cabbage and onions. Sounds fair to me. 

• Options

I will not be giving up much as I don't do processed food due to allergies, but I will be making changes to portion size and counting calories as it seems to be the only way I can do the weight loss thing! 

• Options

We'll done Jumbob, potternoss, TP, Emmy, UisageJo - great efforts and times.

Beautiful weather in Lossienouth this morning for the Duathlon. Really enjoyed it.

• Options

Well done to everyone for their efforts this weekend, just ran 6 miles in my lunch hour at work today taking me up to 27 miles for the week.  Paris training going to plan now 4 weeks to go before starting the 16 week plan.

Me and RunningRaRa have entered the Longridge 7 pudding race on 8th December should be a good test prior to starting the training plan.

• Options

Sounds like a great running weekend for many image

I am out of sync. with you lot.  I have been taking it easy and reducing my mileage this week and eating two sorts of cake and drinking wine. My planned long run to kick off training on Dec 1st has now switched to a 4 mile Santa dash for the local hospice. Oops.

• Options

Brilliant running from Em, Jimbob and Potter!   

I, on the other hand, still have 16 miles to run today and its already 3 pm, but after being up all night at work.....

• Options

Apartment booked! Woohoo. I think there are ten in my party - we're getting two apartments five minutes' walk apart, hoorah. In the Batignolles area. 

I'm currently stalking Eurostar website...

Also, very proud of Mr KS - we ran 5.5miles this morning at an excellently steady 9:45min/mile pace and he was awesome. He hasn't run that far since last November but has a 10k next week so he's been doing a bit of training over the last few weeks, as well as parkrun too. 

Well done on the marathoners and the other racers this weekend!

• Options

Pudding race Rich? Does it have sugar in? It's probably outlawed for the next fortnight.

Awesome going Mr Suze image  And everyone else who ran today, sounds like it was a good one all round

• Options

Thanks for the training advice Scoot - might have to get back to you on some of the details though image ?

Great stuff from the racers today, with a special mention for Jimbob who seems to be approaching the sound barrier image .

Two things I didn't expect to find on my run this morning- 1) antelopes 2) zebras. No I haven't been at the jelly beans again, footpath near my parents' house goes along the back fence of Edinburgh Zoo. Still a bit of a surprise though. 

• Options

RR - seeing antelope and zebra is just part of your Comrades trainingimage

• Options

Morning lovelies. Had a great race yesterday at Valencia Marathon. A shiny new pb at 3'05'37. It was a controlled even paced run on a fast flat uncongested route. A great atmosphere well supported and I can't fault my own race experience although Pottermoss had issues with some aspects.

I am absolutely made up, but now feeling stiff all over. We went on a booze and food fest after so feeling even more ropey than I should.

Great effort from Pottermoss yesterday, as when I was finishing it was warming up and the 4hour+ runners would be feeling it out on course. Met some nice peeps over there. 

Well done Emmy on ANOTHER marathon. You are one in a million. Well done everyone else on parkruns, races and weekend mileage. 

I need a rest now and I'm taking 2 whole weeks off running!

• Options

Holà !  Mahoosive congratulations to the dynamic duo in Spain.  TJB, you are amazing, you just keep on flying.  You'll soon be running faster than the difference between your slowest and fastest times ... or are you there already?  Enjoy your well deserved rest.

Congrats to Emmy too, I don't know how you do it!

Good luck to all those starting the S less plan.  Look forward to your updates.  image 

• Options

Dannir - that's exactly what I thought image . I decided it was a Good Omen.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Thank you all image Today i'm a little tender but it didnt stop the pooch dragging me around the fields this morning!

TJB/Pottermoss - well done and a good recommendation for the course.

Pottermoss - what issues did you have on course?

RR - That does sound like a good omen.

I've never really gone back to sugar so i'm sure that my updates will be a little more restrained.

• Options

Well done folks....fantastic running from everybody.

Well, Paris training kicks off for me today - for various Life Reasons I need to build in a couple of extra weeks, although one of those is my traditional arse cover for illness/injury/cba.  I've got through the worst of the sugar withdrawal stuff last week so you guys are doing the right thing bu getting it out of the way before you start training too.

13km with 6@ HM pace awaits.  And it's pissing with rain.  Here we go again.... image

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Well done.  Fiona was flying, after her 136km run across Scotland and Champagne/Shopping tapering.  4:13 for Emmy over a trail and after the double header last weekend, amazing.  Would love to hear more from Pottermoss, he's no slow mouse so 7 minutes PB is an astounding effort.  Well done to everyone else, I haven't read back yet.

The Jimbob - That's not a race report, you're not getting off that easily.  No-one does a marathon for fun and storms away with a 7 minute PB, especially Mr Sensible. You've more than achieved your targets this year, I presume you wanted to test drive the engine.  If you overheated then it would have been valuable experience, if successful then other PB.  Congratulations.

• Options

Nov 24: Adnams 10k - Keyser Suze. Northumberland 10-miler - Iain.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Nov 30-Dec 1: Saxon Shore Double - Emmy. Wesham 10k - Kirsten Lancs Lass.
    Dec 1: James B's birthday.
    Dec 8: Lossiemouth Turkey Trot 10k - Simon Mac. Longridge Pudding Run - Running RaRa, Run Rich Run.
    Dec 14-15: Enigma Christmas Marathon - Emmy.
    Dec 15: Corrida de Noel 10k - TP. Weston Super Mare 10k - Matty Warr.
    Dec 26: Chevin Chase: Leeds Rob. Worden Park 10k: Kirsten Lancs Lass.
    Dec 27: Wiola's birthday.
    Dec 31: TD's birthday.
    Jan 1: Knacker Cracker 10k - Suzy M. Wymondham 10k - Keyser Suze.
    Jan 3: OO's birthday.
    Jan 4-5: Enigma Double - Emmy, Weedy.
    Jan 9-12: Disney Dopey - BRF, Danni.
    Jan 10: Tiberias Marathon - Stewart.
    Jan 11: Great Winter Run 5k - ATM, Defender Jo, Defender Ken, HS, Scott.
    Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 19: DV's birthday. Naples Half - Lawyer Aaron.
    Jan 26-27: Paris-Mantes Overnight 54k - RR, TP.
    Jan 29: Kaz's ginormous dog's birthday.
    Feb 3: TP's birthday.
    Feb 6-9: Quadzilla - Emmy.
    Feb 9: Longleat 10k - Benign Murmuring.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Feb 23: Blackpool Half - Orbutt.
    Feb 28: Iain M's birthday.
    Mar 1: RS's birthday.
    Mar 2: Bath Half -Benign Murmuring. Paris Half - PF. Silverstone Half - HS, Iain, Jimbob, Keyser Suze, Leeds Rob, Suzy M, Wohlf, Yer Maj.
    Mar 8: Jus T's birthday.
    Mar 9: Finchley 20-miler - Jimbob, Leeds Rob. Grizzly 20-miler - TrevO.
    Mar 16: Barcelona Marathon - Emmy, 1T, RR, RS.
    Mar 23: Brentwood Half - NGUG. Liverpool Half - James B, Orbutt. Richmond Half - Smelly Melly.
    Mar 29: Eco Trail de Paris 30k - TP. Troi Rocs - 1T.
    Apr 6: Brighton Marathon - Iain M. Paris Marathon - Ofelia, Captain Vidal.
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 13 London Marathon - Danni, OO, RaRa, TD, Wiola. Rotterdam Marathon - Emmy.
    Apr 21: Boston Marathon - RR.
    Apr 24: Audrey's birthday.
    Apr 27: Plymouth Half - Jimbob.
    May 11: Leeds Half - Andy W. Port Sunlight 10k - Orbutt.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday.
    May 17: Simon Mac's birthday.
    May 23: Suzy M's birthday.
    May 25: Liverpool Rock 'n' Roll Marathon - Orbutt.
    May 26: London 10K -Jimbob.
    Jun 1: Comrades - Danni, RR.
    Jun 8: Mersey Tunnel 10k - Orbutt.
    Jun 21-22: Wales Trail Marathon - TP.
    Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday.
    Jul 10: RR's birthday.
    Jul 20: Wohlf's birthday.
    Jul 28: ATM's birthday.
    Jul 30: Maus' birthday.
    Aug 16: Coll Half - Eggy.
    Aug 23: Craggy Island Tri - Simon Mac. Scottish Tough Mudder - HS, Kaz, Scott, Weedy.
    Sep 8: Elizabeth's birthday.
    Sep 16: PC's birthday, Mrs O's birthday.
    Sep 21: Warrington Half - Orbutt.
    Sep 26: NGUG's birthday.
    Sep 28: Loch Ness Marathon/10k/5k - Audrey, Eggy, HS, Kaz, Keyser Suze, RR, Simon Mac, Suzy M, TP, Weedy.
    Oct 6: Onetit's birthday.
    Oct 8: Albuturkey trip: Eggy, Danni, DV, Iain, Maus, TD, Yer Maj.
    Oct 12: PF's birthday.
    Oct 19: Denver Marathon: Orbutt.
    Nov 2: Leeds Rob's birthday.
    Nov 6: Danni's birthday.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Morning Weedy.  Can you add me to, Dec 15: Corrida de Noel 10k with TP.  She's going to kick my a%$€. image

• Options

In my first race ever there was a pigmy hippopotomus next to the finishing straight (10k at Longleat last year).

I need to sleep off my night shift and get running -  I HATED missing my long run last week. Recovery weeks feel rubbish.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Sleep well benign image

Good luck with the run Yer_maj! Hope you dont get too wet!