Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    Eggyh one thing I don't have is muscular strength in my legs,sometimes I wonder how my skinny legs managed to drag me through a marathon and the training that goes with it
  • Options

Jokeybhoy - all about the squats! Skinny legs can still be strong legs image

• Options

TD, excellent photo. We have a 12% hill in Norwich (it's not all flat) and when I attempted to cycle up that on a bike with dynamo lights, I didn't have enough power to keep them on. I dread to think what my MHR would be at the top of the 17% - probably fairly low as I'd be walking up it!

Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Suze - Congrats on the new job. Sounds like your job is similar to what I'm doing just now.

Thanks Eggy. Ooh, that's interesting. I've been testing for 8 years and test managing for 6 of those. I love it. It's very geeky. What area are you in? After 5 years of finance I'm ready to test something new, that's for sure!

• Options

Jokeybhoy - I too have no muscular strength in my legs. I have that skinny lanky leg look down to perfection. I've been told by a couple of women they wish they had legs like mine, which I'm pretty sure isn't a complement!

TD - I'm breaking into a sweat just thinking about a 17% gradient.

• Options

Suze - I've worked in testing and general IT consulting/development over the years. Right now I've changed departments in my workplace to work in test leading them through the transition to Agile and helping them build their test automation skills using selenium and protractor. It's an interesting project (everything had been tested manually until now), but at least one of the lads who's been doing manual testing for the last 20 years looks like he's on the verge of a mental breakdown every time I tell him he need to code some JS!

• Options

Bless them, there's always someone who resists change. I'm currently writing a paper on test tools and why we should be using JIRA and not ALM for all of our projects, regardless of Agile or Waterfall. 

I'd love to do more automation - I know the theory and can do GUI mapping scripts but nothing beyond that. Maybe in the next place...

That sounds like a great role though, lots of scope for shiny new stuff and improvements and teaching/learning of new things. Nice!

• Options

Skinny legs is something I have never had or likely to have. image Stong legs??? 

Congrats KS on the job. Sounds complicated. 

Beautiful day here, and I am not running due to lurgy...grrrrr. image

• Options

Suze - We use JIRA here. It's great once you configure it the way you want it. Configuring it is a headache though. I'm enjoying this role just now,. Lot's of new technologies being used, so it's great to pick up new skills or build on things I've not used for a while. I fully reserve the right to retract that statement once we get closer to the project end date though!

Kaz - Hope you're feeling better soon.

• Options

Blimey. Smart cookies Eggy and KS.

Love that photo of TD. I'll just go off and have a quiet swoon in the corner (unrelated to the gradient of that hill, which I can attest is terrifying image).

I had to concede defeat at km 4 of a 10km tempo run today. I. Just. Could. Not. Do. It. Whatever this virus/infection/bubonic plague/Mad Cow disease I have, is really playing havoc with me. I was struggling to breath properly at 151 bpm and couldn't get anywhere near my goal of 161 BPM, let alone maintain it for a further 5.5km. Perceived effort felt like 165BPM. Bursting into tears was the sure fire sign that I needed to just stop. Feeling very glum and wondering whether I need to seriously think about not running Paris.

• Options

Love Malcs carb load diet. Think i'll borrow that one for myself - Any diet which advocates more weetabix sounds good to me!

7 mile interval session. 9 x 2m30 @ 45s per mile quicker than 5k pace, 2m30 recoverys either side of 10 minute warm up/down

I was delighted with the consistency of the reps, with only one dipping out due to a busy road I couldn't cross.

The recoveries on the other hand got slower and slower ha ha.

• Options

TinkerBEL - Rest up and let this virus pass and then decide what you want to do. You've had a hell of a lot going on over the last few months, so make sure your healthy as your first priority and then move on from there.

• Options

Tink - you need to run / walk Paris just for the sheer normality of it. Who cares how long it takes?

• Options

[Mental note to self. TinkerBEL was crying at lunchtime. Thank goodness the forum tells me all]

Had a little run this afternoon. Here on Garmin Connect or here on Strava if you prefer. Windy. No drinks or prisoners...

• Options

Garmin recommendations please?? image

• Options

Tink - Rest my dear. You will run, but only if you get better first! Nd I know that sounds  a bit 'Pot and Kettle' coming from me....... But I think I may have learned.... Maybe!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Orbutt - many thanks for the reassurance. Maybe I should check with them just in case. I don't want anything to go wrong once I'm on the other side image

RR - ooh, I love that area. I've always wanted to run along the Thames path but by the time I get up to Greenwich it's turn around time image I know I could get a train in and that may well be the only way to do it - I just don't like combining trains with running.

KS - well done on the new job! And also well done on resisting the Mars Bar! image

TinkerBEL - oh no, poor you. Agree with the sentiments posted already. Hope you're feeling better soon.

kaz - sorry to hear you're on the lurgy train too, hope it's out the system quickly, I hate the lurgy!

Re. Garmins I have a 620 and it's the best one I've had by a mile. Biggest benefit over my 310xt is size and weight.

I believe the model before (610) is almost identical though and therefore much better value. The 610 is missing the new running economy analytics but I've never used them - not worth the extra cost IMHO. 

mattywarr - nice session there!

Be my guest re. the carbo load diet. Here's another alternative that Shady Ady used last year. He was a few kg lighter than me (69kg I think).

Breakfast: Large bowl of cereal /porridge (60g of dried cereal) with milk & 1 full bagel with generous spread of honey & jam & 200ml glass of orange juice (approx. 130g)

Mid- morning: Nibble on half pack of jelly babies (100g of sweets) and 500ml of low fat milkshake (approx. 120g of carbohydrates)

Lunch: 100g pasta (dried weight) salad, low fat fruit yogurt & large banana & 20ml glass of fruit juice (approx. 120g of carbohydrates)

Mid afternoon: banana sandwich and 400ml of fruit juice & 3 jaffa cakes (approx.110g).

Dinner: 100g of pasta or rice or large jacket potato with usual foods but keep vegetables and meat/fish to small portions. Large glass of fruit juice (300ml) or full sugar diluting juice and low fat fruit yogurt (approx.115g)

Before bed: large bowl of cereal or 3 slices of toast & jam (approx. 60-70g of carbohydrates).

• Options

While we're on the subject of food, here's a recovery shake recipe I've been meaning to share. You can tweak the quantities, but basically 200ml skimmed milk, one generous tablespoon 0% fat Greek yoghurt, one teaspoon peanut butter and a banana. Blitz together in blender or with hand blender thingy. Contains liquids, carbs and protein and suitable for sugar shunners if you pick the right sort of peanut butter. I guess it would work with other nut butters too. About 300 calories, 40g of carbs, 20g protein and 8g of fat, if I've done my sums right.

• Options

The peanuts would kill me but apart from that it sounds grandimage

• Options

Windy windy windy here... bike in the garage for me. Idiots today have I been dealing with.. and more of the same tomorrow. Get better calf, I want to go running!!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

I love peanut butter - eat it by the spoonful ( but probably shouldn't) 

Shake sounds yummy image

Kaz - I think Dannir said the new 220 is really good. No major difference from 620 apart from some bells & whistles. 

• Options

Well the weather gods woke up and decided to take revenge for last nights dry run. I'm pretty sure I would have been dryer going for a swim tonight!

RR - That sounds good. My pre-long run fuelling includes peanut butter, which I mix into my porridge along with some jam. I know it's a crime against porridge, but it seems to work a treat for me in terms of fuelling the LSR's.

Kaz - It really depends what you want from the Garmin. The more expensive the more features it'll have. Just figure out what features you'd actually use and want. Just avoid the old Garmin 410, which is what I use. It has a bevel rather than button interface which is impossible to use while actually running. Pretty sure they ditched that dumb idea on the newer models and went back to good old fashioned buttons.

• Options

Hey all!!

Some great stuff on this forum and spent an hour last night reading last years as well!

Paris will be my 5th marathon (done London in 05/07/08/13) and goal will be to try and break 3hrs.  PB is 3hrs 9 mins back in 2008 - did 3hrs 11 mins last year but blew up badly after trying to break 3 (too hot and now know I didnt have sufficient training in the bank).

Learnt from last years experience and spent the summer improving my shorter distances (5m-10km) and then on half marathons in the autumn (got a pb in the Great North Run of 1hr 24mins). Since then, have built up my weekly mileage and following the RW Asics plan and all going to plan so far (touch wood!!)

Have been running for 17yrs now but only really focussing on races for past 18 months. My dad was a decent runner and broke 3hrs for the marathon so guess thats whats driving me on!!

Live in Banbury with wife and 2 kids (boys aged 5 and 2) - think she is close to leaving me the amount of running I am doing at the mo and avoiding my parental responsibilities

Thats me in a nutshell and will no doubt be absorbing as much info as possible in the coming weeksimage

• Options
    kaz1 wrote (see)

Garmin recommendations please?? image

Always make sure the battery is sufficiently charged before going out for a run. image

Did you have any specific requirements for recommendations? Value for money, latest features, use for other sports, battery longevity....? We can give you some better answers that way Kaz. Do satellites reach up to the Orkney Isles though?

• Options

Eggy/Suze - I have absolutely no idea what you two have been talking about, altho having a friend who's been in a Nicole Kidman film's quite cool. What part did they play? image 

Kaz - there's a guy who does some v in depth reviews of various Garmins (and other running stuff). And when I say in depth, I mean insanely in depth.
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin
    I've got a Forerunner 610. Like it, altho I've been having bother with satellite fixes as you know. And it doesn't seem to be as waterproof as it should be - the watch face steams up inside after about two hours of running.

Tink - I'd not make any decision till you're better. It always looks quite bleak when you're feeling kack.

No skinny legs for me either - they're highly over-rated mind.

• Options

Welcome Roundman! I too have had to have a conversation with Mr Stuchbury regarding the amount of running I'm (currently not) doing. I have entered Abingdon in October just in case Paris is a run/walk type event (not a bad location to have to do that!) if the calf doesn't perk up. Mr S said, 'oh, we were looking forward to getting mummy back after Paris' - mine are 6 and 3.

I actually think my legs are skinny. They are my best bit. They have muscle but there's not too much of them. Shame about the bit above them really...!

• Options

Tricky-Dicky - loving the battery advice! My garmin likes to charge and then go wrong the morning of a race. I ran Watford with no watch because my 305 packed up. It's fine now of course!

I'd be interested too in Garmin recommendations.. I've had a 101 (enormous weren't they?!) several 205s and now a 305. I don't wear the heart monitor and I run and road cycle. I don't care much about data except mile splits.

• Options

I actually think the old 205/305's where the best Garmins. Sure it was like having a brick strapped to your wrist, but they had a better battery life than the newer models and easy to use and navigate through the menus.

That DC Rainmaker website that was linked a few posts ago is great to find out about the newer models. Very good and well balanced reviews.

• Options

I have a 910xt (love it) and a 620 - which I like for the ease of data transfer.  Still don't like touch screen on the 620, nor the inability to revue my run when I press the stop button (like at a traffic light) until after you have saved the run.  On the 910 when you press stop you can still cycle through the screens.

• Options

Just been to absurdly swanky restaurant  with Mr BM, who turned 60 today! Currently under the influence of Hungarian Tokai. Hungarian Tokai tells me that I should run the Paris Marathon but not all of it. Therefore I retract my previous intention to be part of the supporters group; I shall be a runner but I will butt out at the Tour Eiffel (C18m) and metro it back to Avenue Foch. Better then nothing and all experience for 2015. If its OK for Farah to do a part marathon first it has to be OK for me, surely? Alberto Salazar and Hungarian Tokai quite similar really.

Everything up for review when sobriety returns in the morning.

• Options
    BM - sobriety is overrated , I make my best decisions when drunk , like signing up for the Paris marathon for the first time last year . And the Edinburgh marathon the year before

Very very wet 11 mile run tonight , I was soaked ,blinded and took a tumble at mile 6.74 after which my garmin (205 model ,, le brick ) refused to pick up a signal , I was more annoyed about losing potentially recorded miles than I was about my bruised elbow , hand and pride

Wine is easing the pain nicely , although I may do something daft and sign up for another marathon !!!!