Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Thanks for that post, TD.It's very thought-provoking.

I see that the Breakfast run has changed course etc, this year. Anyone thinking of doing it?

• Options
    I was planning on having a go at the breakfast run, I've never done it before.
  • Options

Thanks for the advice on the HM folks, assuming nothing falls off between now and then will go for it! Hoping for a good day in Blackpool, I'm keen to see how all this training is adding up!

Great read on the carbs TD, as with others on here I don't think I've been taking enough on during the runs. I've mostly been using Energy Chews which are similar to the shot blocks but smaller 4 chews is about 30g carbs. I've been taking them 2 at a time every 2 miles from mile 4/5 hoping that the drip feed technique will keep me going. I think I need to start taking them earlier (and maybe washing them down with sports drink rather than water!)

Windy run up (a bit) and around Arthur's seat tonight just over 5M. harder work than I thought it should be for the pace, but maybe just a result of trying to keep a conversation going on the uphills!

• Options

I can't stand chewing stuff while racing as I just don't have enough breath for it, even in a mara. I feel like plain water is liable to make me choke so have to be very careful. Elites don't use gels because they never carry anything and can be sure to get their individual drinks bottles. This is rarely an option for a participant in a mass field.

My carb method of choice is to wear a belt and have 2x 200ml bottles on the back. I fill each bottle with 4 gels (3 normal one caffeine) which makes the bottle half full, then I top up the other half with water. So that's 8 gels for the race. I just take a little swig as and when i want it. They go down easily and I always get the full compliment down.

I usually run very close to my lactate threshold and have been able to do 3 fast maras with this fuelling strategy. I've tried other approaches in the past that made me feel very sick, but this approach has always worked. The only downside is you need a belt which is comfortable and have to carry in total, about half a kilo in weight. I think Orbutt has had success with this approach too.

• Options

Great info TD.

my longest run........ever......last Saturday at 18 miles in 2hrs 55. Then gone and run a 10k PB tonight in 49 mins despite pretty abysmal weather. The plan is clearly working but don't want to tempt fate by telling anyone........oh.

Experimenting with fuelling on long runs, currently:-

- 3 miles, 2 jelly babies - sugar rush, favourite 

- 6 miles, banana - easy to eat, high in carb, hard to carry without looking inappropriate 

- 9 miles, 2 jelly babies

- 12 miles, Peanut Butter Cliff Bar, takes about a mile to eat (passes the time), slow release effect

- 15 miles, SIS tropical gel, not a happy eating experience, got me through the last 3 miles though

to be continued........plan is 

- 18 miles, 2 jelly babies

- 21 miles, another gel

- 24 miles, jelly babies, red wine or cheese. 

over 10 miles I wear a Camelbak with about a litre of water and sip along the way....figure come race day not having to carry that might be worth 5 minutes or so. 

Enjoy your runs people, you are all awesome.

Ken 

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Tricky - I have used this approach. From a personal point of view, I also had to take on  plain water, as the mix made me quite thirsty. 

I always run with a hydration belt, like you describe, and found it strange at first but it didn't take long to get used to it. 

Ive also got a pouch that I can fit 6 gels into, so I can carry plain water and take the gels as well. Plus I have Mrs O meet me and pass me a couple of spares later in the race. 

I still need practice at feeding and hydrating but I'm getting there. TDs info will really help - ta

• Options

Thanks for all this info on carbs etc.  I have been trying Shot Bloks but I'm obviously not having enough of them.  I ran 16 miles this week and during it I ate 3 Shot Bloks from mile 6 and drank a bottle of Powerade throughout.  I don't think this was enough fluid though.  I find the Bloks very sweet  and I'm going to struggle to eat them more frequently but maybe I will have to try this on the next long run.  I carried the bottle in my hand and that's not brilliant either so maybe I should look at getting a new belt.  I read somewhere about eating loads the day before and I think that this definitely helps.  So much to learn.  Sometimes I have a bowl of cereal at night too and that seems to be working.

I'm still laughing about the Shoe Whisperer determining your shoes by studying the entrails of a goat. Hah!

Happy running folks.

• Options

ATM - I'll be doing the breakfast run. I've done it the last two years. I like it as a easy paced short run to ease the nerves and loosen the legs up.

Just noticed they now charge 5 euros for the breakfast run and you now need to pre-register for it. That's new, it used to be free and a just turn up and go event. It doesn't look like a new course, just the old course in reverse. Starting at Avenue Foch and finishing at the tower.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

The Breakfast Run used to attract family/friends etc...I assume that anyone can create an ASO account and register for it...provided they pay...but it will certainly remove the element of spontaneity..image

• Options

It looks like anyone can register for it, but they would need an ASO account. All that extra hassle for what appears to be a t-shirt! I'll still do it right enough.

• Options

We need to register?! I/we will still do it but a bit o a pain. 

• Options

Will it still be ok for the girls to do it? 

• Options

I'm just amazed they're not asking for a med cert too!!

Three city tour of Scotland completed today image (only ran in one of them though!)

• Options

Kaz - Yes, the girls can still run it but you will need to create an ASO account for them from what I can see! Really dumb move by the organisers, as the breakfast run has went off without a hitch in previous years. I can see this putting off folk from doing it.

• Options

Hi everyone, haven't posted for a while.

Glad to see everyones training is going well. I managing OK, though I have wimped out a bit when the weather has been so bad.

Brighton Half Marathon for me this Sunday, so will be interesting to see what sort of time I can get. I haven't got big expectations though.

• Options

I won't be doing the breakfast run.  Since we only have 4 full days in Paris we are flat out with touristy stuff.. Thursday is Eurodisney, Friday is Eiffel Tour and hop on and off bus, and the expo, and Saturday is more hop on and off bus to see major sites, then Sunday the run.. Then we fly out Monday.. starting to wish I had talked my hubby into 7 days in Paris instead!

I have a 26km run planned for tomorrow so trying to psych myself up.  I also have a birthday party to plan for sunday.. so busy busy! 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Pete Sherri wrote (see)

Brighton Half Marathon for me this Sunday, so will be interesting to see what sort of time I can get. I haven't got big expectations though.

Good luck this weekend.

Rach - I wont be doing the breakfast run either.

Sorry for not posting too much. Work has been awful and hectic.

• Options
    Uisgejo - Arthur's Seat - ah yes, I remember it well. Urgh.

Welcome back Emmy - you're always here virtually, even when you're not.

I think I'll try and register for the breakfast run anyway - I have an ASO account from last year, so hopefully that will still work.

First run of my first big weekend completed - 36 miles in three days planned. Just hope I can get them all done without a wetsuit and flippers.
  • Options

Good luck RR. Hope you get some decent weather. My first big weekend was last weekend, and I haven't ran since due tothe lurgy! image  Hoping I will get out for 10k during m weekend away. 

• Options

Kaz - Enjoy your weekend away.

Pete - Good luck with your half.

As for Arthur's Seat I can't believe I've been daft enough to sign up to two races this year that run around that thing.

• Options

Hi all, 15 miler for me this weekend regardless of the weather. Is thier a strict finishing time for Paris as I've got a feeling I'm going to be around the 5 hour mark due to this back injury ? Got to save a bit for London the week after as it's my charity challenge .

• Options

Steve - There is a cut-off time, which I think is 5:40 if I remember correctly. I couldn't tell you how strict they are on that though.

• Options

I'll have enough on my plate running 26.2 without tacking on a couple of extra miles before hand!!

60mins Steady run for me last night. (70 including 5 up, 5 down) and did about 7.5 miles at 9m/m which I was quite pleased with.

Lost another 3lbs this week when I weighed in this morning and have worked out that if I lose 2.5lbs a week between now and Paris I'll dip into the Healthy BMI category for the first time in my adult life. So thats my new motivational target - Run my first mara, and do so with a healthy BMI.

Then I get 2 days to stuff my face with carbs completely guilt free image

• Options

Think I'm going to do the breakfast run - as long as supporters can do it too. My running buddy is coming along but isn't doing the marathon (even though she'd totally smash it, having done all of the training!) and it'd be lovely to run a bit of Paris with her. I am a bit nervous about doing 5k before the marathon though, but I guess it'll be nice and gentle and I won't have run since the Wednesday or possibly Thursday beforehand. 

mattywarr, well done! What cracking goals to have to tick off in one fell swoop. Hooray!

17M on the plan tomorrow. Think it might be more like 18 by the time we do the loop and go back round. 

Oh, and Happy Valentine's Day to one and all, of course!

http://rlv.zcache.com/runner_happy_valentines_day_cards-r422576460f8446b4b68238f9e9773968_xvuai_8byvr_512.jpg

• Options

E mmy wrote (see)
    Pete Sherri wrote (see)

Good luck this weekend.

Rach - I wont be doing the breakfast run either.

Sorry for not posting too much. Work has been awful and hectic.

What time approx you getting into Gard du Nord on the saturday Ems? Wanna meet again - i'll wife'n'daughters in tow. Untold ginge on the scene!  

• Options

The breakfast run sounds fun, not sure what the runners world Asics target 26.2 team have planned for me though, I am simply a pawn, it is quite fun though.

Steve Ayling, I hope you have agood Chiropractor looking after you, good luck

Jimbob good luck with the brighton half (hope it is not a swim)

• Options

I'm not doing Brighton Roger. Planning to go long in North London this weekend (again!) with Heathside as long as they don't beast me. I'll be with many people from this thread at Silverstone in a couple of weeks. There's a few peeps i know at Brighton this weekend ..... so good luck to all of them.

• Options

The Jimbob - where do you recommend for long running in North London? I usually run up in that neck of the woods, always looking for new routes!

I ran a good 8 miler "pace" run last night in and around Crouch End/Tottenham, negative splits putting a time in at just under an hour. Aiming for around 8m/mile pace on the day so throwing in a few faster runs to make that pace feel a little easier!

• Options

Tmbrntt, most of my bread n butter running is on and around the hills of hampstead and highgate, Finchley, the Suburb and the mud and glory of hampstead Heath.

most of my fast stuff is done on the flat of the regents park outer circle and most of my long runs involve running from here in finchley down to the Thames and coming back through various parks like regents, primrose, the Heath etc.

I'll be out on a 9am club run on Sunday morning, for 17-18 ish. They are a little quick for me so I might drop them after 4 or 5 miles. we meet 9am at corner of Archway Road/Shepherds hill, near highgate tube. Come and check it out. They also have the 10am group. The 9am is pretty quick, I can live with them but I am trying to do the long run. their long run pace is like my steady pace! The club is London Heathside, if u are crouch end/local that's your local club.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Roger - if previous years are anything to go by, you will be doing photo shoots and pieces to camera on the Saturday. Enjoy image