Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Tricky - sounds awesome !!would you be doing it solo? Knowing you - you'd be racing this right?

• Options
    Hi UJ - the route is pretty easy to find if you are staying in Belfast. Just head for the river Lagan and the path runs parallel along the right hand side. Flat and saw quite a few other runners out as well. You head south to Lisburn which is 12 miles away (I did 4 and then turned back). There are a couple of bits which bring you back on to the road but just keep close to the river and the path re-emerges. Really nice route!
  • Options

Evening all...so I've returned to training after a problem with my ITB. Right knee is strapped and have been told that, with extensive stretching and physio, I could still make it in time.

I was up to 16 miles about three weeks ago but have only managed a couple of 10s and a few sixes since...ran 7.5m today in a comfortable time so have decided to run this week as if I'm still training for Paris and if I get to Saturday with all of my planned runs completed and knee feels fine...I'll have a returned sense of positivity.

Also, do I remember reading that some of you on here do the Finsbury Park parkrun on Saturdays? I've moved up that direction of late so the park is now part of my route.

• Options

7 miles this evening with no pain. Whoop whoop! Paris here I come!!

• Options

Stuchbury - Well done.

RR - The competitive stuff with other runners doesn't fit with me, but this one does. image

“I’m just running this race for fun.”
    Translation: “My eternal happiness hinges on the outcome of this race.”

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

For the sub 4 people....

I’m just hoping to finish.”
    Translation: “I will PR or die.”

For me...

“I get irritable if I don’t run.”
    Translation: “If I don’t run, I may or may not become homicidal.”

Every time I talk to my colleagueimage

“….point two. Twenty-six point two.”
    Translation: “Seriously. Forget the ‘point two’ one more time, and I’ll be forced to punch you.”

• Options

“Today was a recovery run, so I didn’t even pay attention to pace.”
    Translation: “I know exactly how slow I ran, but I refuse to tell you because it is not representative of my ability.” 

Thats the most relevant to me, for sure! 

• Options

Heh heh heh

“I took some time off to let it heal.”
    Translation: “I didn’t run last Thursday.”

• Options
    "I'm doing a mini taper "

Translation = I can't be arsed running today or tomorrow , in fact the following day looks doubtful as well !
  • Options
    Stuchbury wrote (see)

7 miles this evening with no pain. Whoop whoop! Paris here I come!!

Great news there - just go careful to rebuild distances without creating overuse injuries. So if you build up distance, don't work on speed for example. The training stress has to come in gradually.

Emmy - the Ronde Van Vlaanderen dates I had looked at were for 2013. This year the main race (for the professionals) is the same day as Paris Mara so the amateur run is the day before. So I guess that is ruled out for this year.

And no I wouldn't be racing it. I can ride hard for 4 hours now, maybe a tad more if I am in a peloton. I think the idea is to take 10-11 hours to do routes upto 260kms in a day, lots of long steps and rest breaks, unlike the pros who are given musettes (food bags) to have while they keep riding. But on some of these big bike tours, they have timing chips for the key hills, so you can race those and compare yourself at the end of the day, often with age rankings too.

I'll have a go at Liege-Bastogne-Liege in April and the Flèche Wallonie in May (big Classics bike races), both over 200kms. If I can't run so well these days, then maybe I can do this?

• Options

Some of those quotes RR are genius - my personal faves:

“I was on pace for the first twenty miles, but then I hit the wall. Training wasn’t great. I’ve been battling an injury. And I just got over being sick. Guess it all caught up to me.”
    Translation: “I went out too fast.”

“I took some time off to let it heal.”
    Translation: “I didn’t run last Thursday.”

“I think I just need to take a break from training for a while.”
    Translation: “I’ve already signed up for my next race.”

• Options

Roundman - We are staying near Hillsborough and I am interested where I can go running while we are in Northern Ireland. We are there for 3 days and then driving around Ireland so I'd like to get a long run in while we are there. image    Any ideas of a good route?  

I did an easy 7.5km run today with my running buddy. image  

Better get to bed so i can be up early to run with her again tomorrow. image 

• Options

All quiet from me lately; went to get my GP certificate and, having been to the doctor once in about 10 years, thought nothing of running an easy 8 miles there from work! Obviously a daft thing to do and my BP showed as being a little high, so having to go back and do it all again in a few days. Should all be fine, but slightly concerning so close to race day!

Otherwise training is okay, starting to feel ever so slightly sluggish, but having run 36 miles and also played football in the last 3 days that's probably not too surprising. Rest day tomorrow and then the final push over the next few weeks before tapering begins!

Also, Mattywarr, that's probably the phrase I most frequently use...

• Options

Weedy, can you add Paris - Saint-Germain-en-Laye 20k on 18 May 14 for me please?  Many thanks  image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

What does the committee think?

I've got three runs before 'The Madness' kicks in. I'd like to do a 20 and a 22 but should I do a second 20, in addition, or a lesser distance?

I've already done 3x 20 mile runs this campaign and I'm wary of breaking anything but if another 20 was considered to be a wise move, then I'd go for it.

Thoughts?

• Options

Not sure what the benefits of an extra 20-miler would be. Depends on what pace you'd run it at and what your target for Paris is I guess. As long as you know what you want to get out of it when you set foot out the door.

• Options

Orbutt - I'd do a test run and make it your next one - do 14-15 of 20 miles at intended race pace. No rule that says you only have to do 5x 20 milers. But do it a bit differently - aim for speed and not long slow distance. It will be a good, stressful run leaving plenty of time for adaptation. You clearly have goals to be faster...

• Options
    Orbutt - I would leave it , your not going to gain much by doing another 20 on top of the three plus two you have planned , have a cut back week instead and keep the legs fresh
  • Options

TBH, Orbutt I can't see the benefit but that comes from someone who hasn't ran one 20 miler yet..... and unlikely too! 

• Options

Orbutt, 2 more 20+ milers should be enough before taper considering what you have done so far. I've one more left on my plan that's a  proper 5 miles easy/14 miles marathon pace/1 mile strong finish as per Yermaj's blistering run last week. That's the real confidence builder, if you can settle on your target pace for 14-15 miles that will give you the confidence that you can maybe see it through to 26 at the same pace once properly tapered.  

A couple more weeks/races people and then we can start putting our money where our mouths are and unleash the Paris targets! With the tiredness in my legs at the moment I honestly don't know what mine are till I have mini-tapered/raced a couple of times, but I'm hopeful ...... image

• Options

Orbutt - I agree with everyone else. I don't see any value in doing three 20's in a row when you already have three in the bank. I've done 2 x 20 and 1 x 21 so far, and have one more 20 and a 22 planned in the next three weeks. Five should be more than enough.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    TartanPimpernel wrote (see)

Weedy, can you add Paris - Saint-Germain-en-Laye 20k on 18 May 14 for me please?  Many thanks  image

Do you want some company ?

Weedy, put me down for some stalking.

• Options

I have entered the local Hoy Half in June. Not sure about it - very hilly and involves a wee boat trip to get too. 

• Options

Blimey Orbutt, I haven't done ANY 20miles yet. Got a 20 and a 22 and that's it. Meep. Five sounds incredible and, if I'm totally honest, quite a lot to do in a training cycle. As always it's horses for courses though!

E mmy wrote (see)

For the sub 4 people....

I’m just hoping to finish.”
    Translation: “I will PR or die.”

For me...

“I get irritable if I don’t run.”
    Translation: “If I don’t run, I may or may not become homicidal.”

Every time I talk to my colleagueimage

“….point two. Twenty-six point two.”
    Translation: “Seriously. Forget the ‘point two’ one more time, and I’ll be forced to punch you.”

Yep, the last one especially. I have explained to people that it's .2 with a 'does it matter' response. My reply was 'I run 26 miles. Am I finished the marathon?' More tactfully than that in some cases, but it seemed to get the message across!

This one is brilliant: “My hamstrings got a little tight.”
    Translation: “I’ve lost the ability to bend at the waist.” 

• Options

Cheers Roundman, found the path, what a lovely run! Based on recent experience I'm going with Belfast runners as the friendliest I've come across (except for you lot obviously!image)

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Thanks for the sage advice, folks. 

I think I'll have a go at an attempt at race pace - as Tricky suggested - only trouble being that nowhere around here is flat, it's either a bit/lot up (which makes it harder) or a bit down (which makes it a lot easier). 

Maybe need to find a flat bit image

• Options

Jokeybhoy wrote

Good running by everyone again this weekend.To all the tired ones,don't worry only another 3 weeks til the taper kicks in.

Whaqatac:I'm pretty sure it was yourself who suggested the pattstrap when I 1st thought I was suffering from it band issues.I gave it a bash on the treadmill today.Got to say it worked well.I managed 5 miles with just a mild sporadic pain,absolutely nothing like before,infact I could have ran longer but decided against it as that's part of the reason I've got the injury.

Still going to stick to strengthening my glutes and hips as advised by the physio and do alternate between cycling and running, I'm not getting carried away or my hopes up too much

Hey Jokeybhoy,

I'm glad it has helped. There is a good video at the following link which explains what the strap is trying to do. Hopefully it should give you enough confidence to get you to the start and more importantly the finish line! When I got ITBS a number of years ago, it was about seven weeks before a marathon and the strap allowed me to continue training, run the marathon and then resolve the underlying issues post race to eradicate it, fingers crossed for you.

http://pattstrap.com/pattstrap-counter-force-knee-strap-p-28.html?osCsid=75e20638468e0125de116b856bdf23fe

I'm currently trying a number of different taping methods with kinesio and zinc oxide tape to see if I can effectively tape my ankle to stop the peroneal pulling but have yet to find one that has worked. I can get up to about 5 miles with a slight pain but anything over 10 seems to cause a stabbing pain in the side of the foot which can last a couple of days and is very bad in the morning. Oh well, I will try taping method number 7 tomorrow and see how that one holds up!

Congrats to everyone with their PB's last week, some very good running. Only a few more weeks before the taper startsimage

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I have to confess to 3* 20 milers in a row the last 3 Sundays, and another (20 miles race) planned this week. Having said that I run slow in my LSR and struggle to get anywhere near race pace, and I rarely go over 20 distance in the campaign. I like a couple of 20 mile races in the build up to get me up to race pace.  

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Great to see some of the injuries improving! Excellent 7 miles for you Stuchbury, I think you're entitled to a few whoops for that one!

A belated well done to the racers at the weekend. Some great performances in the wind. Great PB Uisge Jo. Apologies and shame on me if I missed any others!

Loving the translations! image

+1 for the .2 two one as my favourite.

Orbutt - the 20 miler count does seem to be a very personal thing as others have said. I'm doing 4 in a row - just done the first at the weekend but they will all be structured differently (one will also be a 22). 

Last year I did 4 but a bit more spread out and ran my best race ever so I'm concluding that I don't really need any more than that.

TD - that bike route looks immense! I wouldn't even dream of doing anything like that a week before a marathon! That said, my bike has a basket on the front and I thought a peloton was a large beaked water bird so I suspect we are at different ends of the cycling spectrumimage

Best of luck if you take it on, you have my total respect for even thinking about it!

PC - sorry, can't remember if you're running Paris or not or if you've entered but not decided? I'm sure you've told me but I just can't recall. Old age image