Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

10.5 miles this evening, absolutely no issues until the last mile and a bit where the calf felt a bit tight so I was v sensible, stretched and went steady. I actually enjoyed the run.. No problems and I wasn't thinking about my calf for the whole time so could let my mind wander and resolve some things of the day from work which running really helps with... A bit of a shocker today at work image. Still.. I'm going to Paris!! image

• Options

Nice one Stuchbury getting there !

i still get the odd issue with my calf, just this week went out to do some intervals but forgot the calf guards and felt a tightening after just a short while so stopped and walked back ! Think the issue was I had ran a fastish 5 miler the day before and forgetting the calf guards (I am sure I have benefitted from wearing these) 

resorted to some serious hills on the bike today which was all ok, hopefully no major setback 

keep believing ! 

• Options

Thank you Hatter! It feels as though it is getting there. Lots of traffic lights this evening and road crossing so hard to tell from my splits how well I was going - I think pretty good from glancing at my watch as I ran. 

I have been permanently wearing my calf guards but haven't wanted to push it with speed sessions - I don't think my calf would appreciate that, hills seem ok (not that I've done anything big).

Iced when I got back and it feels fine image

• Options
    Whaqatac:Is there a knack to fitting the strap.I tried it again today and it didn't work as good as the other day.Ive watched a few YouTube clips but they tend to contradict each other.
  • Options
    I have aligned my taper to Jantastics Marchvellous time target with a race on the Saturday (aiming for Parkrun PB) the week before, 17.3 miles the week before that and 21.5 miles the week before that
  • Options

Hope all is OK at work Stuchbury. Do you have people to talk it through with?

Well done on grown up driving KeyserSuze

TinkerBEL - aside from all he other stuff I say to you, you are doing fine with your running and you needn't be despondent my love. Let's go over the training plan tonight. And I'll get the chicken out the freezer image

I checked my bike ride data yesterday - I think I hit my fastest speed on a bike on a downhill stretch - 77.0km/h  Loads of fun, I love speed. Wishing you all a fab day.

• Options

Where do you get the disposible jackets from? The expo?

I don't want to wear a jacket/long sleeves on the day and they look much better than the black bag I was planning on taking!

Easy 5.5m with my friend last night. She is slower than me so my pace was slower than usual, and my cadence was awful. About half way through I thought I'd focus on my cadence and stride length a little as per advice here. I can see from the activity where I decided to focus on it! More greens than oranges so its in the right direction. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/451902094

I was genuinely surprised how effortless it felt. I thought the faster turnover would be sure to wear me out quicker, but it really didn't! So I'm going to keep working on it. The only difficulty I found was, I used to time my breathing with my cadence. So need to adjust that a bit.

60mins Tempo run for me tonight. Legs are struggling so I may not hit the paces I need to but will be paying special attention to the cadence.

• Options

Back training agin thank goodness x had slight groin pull a month ago so was resting then just as that was improving got flu ?!?! Really I'll in bed for over a week so didn't really run for a month x back on track now feeling ok but chest a bit rough still x was really worried about training plan but my fitness seems to have come back well x managed an 8.3 miler at marathon pace now due to do a 7 mile club run with intervals tonight and a 15 miles on Sunday x 

what else should I add In x I am doing core exceed issei every day and weights at gym with leg work twice a week x

• Options
    Mattywarr - you get the terribly stylish 'Jogging' ponchos in your goody bag at the Expo, along with various other delights such as, in the past, a beer towel, a buff, and a sponge.

Mrs B - what you're doing sounds about right - at this stage I'd focus on extending your long run until you get up to about 20 miles. I'd also suggest adding in another, easy paced, mid week run, after one of your hard days.
  • Options

Matty - As RR says you tend to get a 'jogging' plastic cape thingy in your bag at the expo. What I would say though is depending on the weather you might want something warmer while you stand about waiting to start. It was cold last year in the morning while standing around, but it was fine once we started running. I think it's worth either bringing an old jumper that you are happy to discard or buying some cheap throw away top just in case it's a bit chilly that morning.

• Options

Lovely time in Florence but more art and pasta then running. Now home to the reality that I'm due to run a marathon soon and I've not trained enough. All injuries seem under control currently and I'm still hoping to get a 20m and 18m done before what will be a short, 12 day taper. I'm wondering whether I should avoid racing all out at the Bath Half this weekend to avoid being too tired for a big LSR soon after? Don't suppose I will actually hold back on the day though. I thought I might run to and from the race to make it 17m in total.

Hope that the Silverstone posse are now enjoying a mini-taper image

• Options

Thank u RR

I am doing

a hill session on a Monday

club run on Tuesday usually about 5-6 miles with hills

gym Wednesday

club run with intervals on Thursday ( this week 7 miles as only started back last week )  7 or 10 miles

Friday  rest or gym or fast 3 miler

rest or as Friday on saturday

long run on Sunday - this Sunday 15 miles next week 18 x

does this sound ok am I missing anythingx

• Options

Hi Mattywarr. Glad you are feeling that faster cadence makes runing easier. A word of encouragement to keep going with it. Your maximum cadence was 174 steps on that run. The ideal is around 180 steps and your average cadence was far lower. I'd really recommend you try and find a metronome (app?) or as ATM suggested, get some music adapted to 180bpm, then run with that.

It will seem crazy fast to begin with but it should help you to establish a good rhythm. Improvements in running efficiency and speed will follow; I promise!

• Options

To save me reading all the back through thread x where can I find info on nutrition please x

• Options

Mrs b3 - TD did a short essay on carbs and racing on p327 - I made a note of it at the time. And few pages before this Malcs wrote about a pre-race carb loading diet plan.

Your catch-up training sounds intense  - does it involve enough rest? I suppose that intensity for just a few weeks, before the taper, might be just what's needed.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Mrs bruffy - have a look at this link from Tricky

Tricky-Dicky wrote (see)

oops sparky - try this

Afterward - this may sound daft but I breathe to a count of 3. Three steps breathing in and three out. I do this at the same cadence as my steps -so it's in, in,in, out, out, out. 

If I get tired I'll change to a 3/2 count. 

Sounds complicated but it's not really

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Afterward - this may sound daft but I breathe to a count of 3. Three steps breathing in and three out. I do this at the same cadence as my steps -so it's in, in,in, out, out, out. 

Why ?  I'm not knocking your idea, I would never laugh at any of your comments. image . Why 3 small breaths instead of 1 big one.

My running buddy used to do yoga, he told me to breathe with my stomach instead of my chest.  The stomach pulls air from the lungs whereas inflating your chest means the new air is exhaled. I have to focus on the action but I noticed an improvement.  Important to breathe before an effort, ie before the start of an incline.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

PC - it's just the count, not individual breaths. The in cycle is over 3 steps and that was the best description I could come up with. 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Tricky-Dicky wrote (see)

TinkerBEL - aside from all he other stuff I say to you, you are doing fine with your running and you needn't be despondent my love. Let's go over the training plan tonight. And I'll get the chicken out the freezer image

Thats true love right there folks.

Hope everyone else is doing well image

• Options

TD - Will try a metronome app tonight. Will have to get used to running at pace without some tunage at some point! I'm going to treat the target pace as a secondary concern in tonights run in favour of the cadence. 

Thanks all for the info about the Jogger Poncho (That was the word I was looking for!). Think as advised I will head to Primani and pick up a jumper for a couple of quid I can bin off at the start line image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

I've just done the Primani trip. Pair of track suit bottoms £5, long sleeved t-shirt £3.50 bargain. 

• Options

Ooo, shopping for cheap clothes... I'm there! I also had a genius plan for breakfast (I was really chuffed with this one whilst running...) as I think I have about a 30 min journey from hotel on one of the metro lines straight to the start and it will all be a bit early and I don't want to rely on the hotel breakfast just in case it's croissant and jam - that is not the breakfast of champions! I will take a kettle and the porridge in a cup that you just add water to. I am so clever that sometimes I astound myself! Porridge is my long run breakfast of choice. imageimage

TD - Thank you for asking! Work is crazy mental this week, just ridiculous but I have a great team that eat chocolate with me and make cups of tea as required. I am a teacher and one bit of my responsibilities is that I am the Academy's Safeguarding Designate Officer which means I deal with all the child protection stuff and external agencies like Children's Services, CAMHS, the Police etc... so this week I have been to hospital with an overdose, had students admitted to mental health secure units, talked to the Police about something well dodge concerning  drugs, girls and men (won't say anything more on that one) parents hitting children, dodgy photos being emailed around some students, fabricated illness families... typing it makes it sound absolutely horrendous! And there's still Friday to go!! It is pretty bad this week but I feel privileged to have the role and to be able to make a difference to the lives of these students when, other people, much closer to them just don't care or cause the problems themselves. So this week I have mostly eaten rubbish but next week will be better on all fronts!

Calf feeling a bit sore today after yesterday's excellent run so taking it easy in the gym when Mr S returns from his run.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Anyone had a problem uploading a photo to the forum taken on an iPhone?

I've resized it but it won't display properly. I get the feeling there's a difference in the settings but I can't figure it out.

Photos taken on proper cameras are ok - for example, the first Orbot of the year

/members/images/676282/gallery/Pete_-_Blackpool_2014_Orbot_small.jpg

Stuchbury - kudos, chapeau image

• Options

Them rocks in the background are the Winter Gardens in Blackpool, unless I am very much mistaken Orbutt. Spent a lot of my childhood playing round there. Fell off those rocks loads of times smacking my head on the promenade. Very formative experience. It's just next to the Boating Pool yes?

I can well believe all that stuff Stuchbury. My daughters are 18 and 16. I see chaos all the way around them. Keep up the good work.

• Options

Keep them close TD - it's an absolute jungle out there and kids are so knowledgeable about technology but they are still are naive as kids have always been, we just didn't have the internet and camera phones to take dodgy photos... it worries me for my two... technology will be more advanced by the time they're allowed phones (which will be never apart from one that will only dial me and their Dad in emergencies!)

Orbutt... I don't know much about photos. I managed to get the sat nav working this morning so I could get to somewhere new - that's enough for me!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Tricky - these rocks were right on the front, between the road an the beach. 

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    /members/images/676282/Gallery/Untitled-1.jpg

At Last - UisgeJo chuckles at my Ali-G impression.

• Options

Well TD, you really are my new favourite person.

I set the metronome to 180 and I couldn't keep up with it, so set it to 170. I figure I'll try 175 next time and then 180.

Anyway, by sticking to my cadence my perceived effort seemed to be largely consistent. My HR was relatively low and my pace was better than expected! It was the longest tempo run I've ever run, at a pace I never thought I'd be able to hold and my Garmin reported PBs for both 5k and 10k!!

Look at the nice greens! (Ignore the top/tail warm up/down)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/452372076

Such a simple technique but such a massive improvement! Thank you so much!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Mattywar -  looking good. I had the same problems when I was increasing my cadence. To get an idea of what it feels like, try running on the spot to the metronome. This will let you feel what the tempo is like. 

You'll find that youll have to shorten your steps, at first, but once you get used to it your stride length will return. It may feel like shuffling. 

BTW - if you set your watch to Auto Lap on either Mile or Km you'll see your individual splits. 

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Brilliant Matty, great advice TD.  I've missed the importance of cadence, it's not a subject spoken of in detail just the magic 180 number. Cant wait to try it out.

Stuchbury - you do great work. The rest of us live in a world of ignorance and I think it's best not knowing some of the things that go on.  You need a license to drive a car, own a gun, but any fool can have children.

There is a RATP app and you can visit their site for precise times and directions.